• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

I seem to be able to purchase Who Wants to be a Millionaire if anyone is actually serious about wanting to buy it. I can imagine it would be annoying to deal with who got what DLC, however.

TaKeRx

I seem to be able to purchase Who Wants to be a Millionaire if anyone is actually serious about wanting to buy it. I can imagine it would be annoying to deal with who got what DLC, however.

Let me know how much it is. I definitely want this.

1-D_FTW

How long did you play? From your description, it doesn't seem like you played more than a couple of hours. The dungeons lean very heavily towards the Zelda spectrum. But you're right in that if you don't like action games, you should stay away.

I got about four hours in (on second play through). I just got sick of the constant fights. The dungeon I quit in, I finally got the final sword that was going to unlock the dungeon's true boss.

I actually though I'd beaten the mini boss to claim the sword. Then I started riding an elevator that had a bunch of waves with more super enemies. On the third wave I died and was going to have to replay the section yet again. That's when I said fuck it and deleted it.

It's only going to get worse and there was a zero percent chance I could ever force myself to the end. It was just hitting my weak spots of things I don't like in games.

Like I said, the world itself is awesome. And I can see why people love it. But it's definitely an action game at heart and people who downplay it aren't being as accurate as they should. It's a fusion of God of War and Zelda. It's not a light action game like Zelda is.

plc268

I got about four hours in (on second play through). I just got sick of the constant fights. The dungeon I quit in, I finally got the final sword that was going to unlock the dungeon's true boss.

I actually though I'd beaten the mini boss to claim the sword. Then I started riding an elevator that had a bunch of waves with more super enemies. On the third wave I died and was going to have to replay the section yet again. That's when I said fuck it and deleted it.

It's only going to get worse and there was a zero percent chance I could ever force myself to the end. It was just hitting my weak spots of things I don't like in games.

Like I said, the world itself is awesome. And I can see why people love it. But it's definitely an action game at heart and people who downplay it aren't being as accurate as they should. It's a fusion of God of War and Zelda. It's not a light action game like Zelda is.

Play a little longer, and it transforms into a zelda style game. The beginning is very combat heavy, and ultimately boring. There's a ton of wave based style tutorial stuff at the beginning (which sounds like what you're doing), but it gets much better after that.

But to be honest, it sounds like you should've already seen the zelda inspired stuff by 4 hours, but my memory is a bit fuzzy as it's been a while since I last played it.

MRORANGE

Not sure it's thread worthy as there is no real info but something from Kim Swift mentions Steam/Valve hardware:

Is a secret Steam console in development at Valve? games™’s interview with Portal creator Kim Swift suggests there may well be…

Adding more fuel to the fire of Steam Console rumours, Portal co-creator Kim swift has told games™ that she remembers discussions of Valve hardware as far back as 2009 when she still worked at the company. This makes Swift the third Valve employee after Michael Abrash and Greg Coomer to talk about Valve-related hardware in the past few months. Could those discussions have been about the much mooted Steam Console? Swift believes, like many, that such a console would be a huge success.

“I wish Valve all the best with that and I think they would do incredibly well”, she says. “I remember people talking about Valve hardware when I was still there. Just look at how far Steam has come. When it started it was nothing and now it’s huge. You can buy almost any game, even really old games. So I think if they made that into a console then it would be extremely successful.”

She is a really talented game designer. Must be frustrating that every interview eventually turns back to Valve. She will probably be dealing with that for the next 20 years.

MRORANGE

Get into the Dota 2 beta now if you buy the Early Access Bundle of items - Videogamer

Valve confirms Dota 2 will be free-to-play, supported by a Dota Store.

The Dota Store will offer items created by Valve and members of the community (via Steam Workshop) that may be used immediately in the ongoing beta and carried over when the game officially launches.

Furthermore, whilst early access to the game isn't required to buy items from the store prior to launch, gamers can gain immediate access to the beta by purchasing the Dota 2 Early Access Bundle of items – priced £24.99.

"The opening of the Dota Store is a big part of our final push to launch," said IceFrog, design lead on Dota 2. "With support for the Steam Workshop, the majority of the items made available on day one were created and being sold by members of the community. By making the game Free to Play, we hope to give gamers the ability to decide how - and how much - they want to invest in the game."

Valve also wants to assure fans that Dota 2 is not and will not be a pay-to-win game, stating that all items in the store are cosmetic, and don't affect gameplay.

wsippel

Banned
I am sure GAF can help you guys out, gifting uncensored version still works.
Thanks, completely forgot about this thread. Probably because it's hidden in community. :)

Anyway, just tried something on Amazon. Don't really think it will work, as the site tells me stuff about additional reviews and processing taking up to four hours.

There's usually a huge orange warning sign on the page if the game is censored in your region.

Ah, you're right, I think I might have seen this once.

Amazon doesn't seem to like my German credit card for some reason. Or at least it didn't when I tried to buy Human Revolution a while ago.

Are you sure it was the credit card? Usually Amazon.com doesn't let you buy stuff when you live outside of the US so just add a fake US adress (preferrably from a state without amazon tax like Delaware afaik) next time you try to buy a key.

I am sure GAF can help you guys out, gifting uncensored version still works.

It's usually not a issue normally since I have a friend in Canada who can gift me the stuff without the need for paypal, the problem is/was spotting the cencored versions :)

wsippel

Banned
So I actually managed to buy Saint's Row III on Amazon, and surprise: I can't activate the game on Steam. "This game is not available for purchase in this country" - no shit Sherlock, but I already bought it!

Guess I check the trading thread. Trading Saint's Row III for Saint's Row III. Really doesn't get any more stupid...

So I actually managed to buy Saint's Row III on Amazon, and surprise: I can't activate the game on Steam. "This game is not available for purchase in this country" - no shit Sherlock, but I already bought it!

Guess I check the trading thread. Trading Saint's Row III for Saint's Row III. Really doesn't get any more stupid...

Do you live in the States? If not, this wouldn't have been a surprise had you read the product details...

Amazon said:
Product Details

Downloading: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States and who have a U.S. billing address.

Note: Gifting is not available for this item.
ASIN: B005OMM66A
Release Date: November 11, 2011

If you do live in the States you could try contacting Steam customer service before engaging in whatever potential sadness trading might lead you to.

Ledsen

Also I don't see how trading could lead to "sadness"? I assume he'll trade away his activation key, there's nothing wrong or potentially dangerous about that.

After rewatching Alien and Aliens again I regret not picking up that newer Aliens vs Predators game. Good news is with prometheus this summer amd the new aliens game coming soonish, it's gotta be a lock for a good summer sale daily. Even segas not dumb enough to mess that up. And its totally been on sale for less than 5 bucks before unless my memory is faulty.

Giard

Are you sure it was the credit card? Usually Amazon.com doesn't let you buy stuff when you live outside of the US so just add a fake US adress (preferrably from a state without amazon tax like Delaware afaik) next time you try to buy a key.
So using a fake billing address is totally safe when buying on Amazon.com? And credit card companies don't mind?

I'd love to get Crusader Kings II, but I'm in Canada. It's 10 bucks on Amazon.com.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
So Sword of the Stars II is 7,49€ today. How are they doing with the bugfixes on this? Last time I checked I heard it was unplayable.

AlexBasch

That blurb doesn't really matter, turns out this is a problem specific to only a handful of games - one of which is Saint's Row III.

Anyway, managed to activate the code using a proxy. Hope it was worth the effort. :)
Is there a list of those region restricted games? IIRC there is Mafia 2 and now SR3, but I'd like to know if there's a list of those next time I buy a Steam game on Amazon, luckily I haven't run into any problems at all.

Wouldn't you get in trouble for using that proxy method though? I'm curious.

mannerbot

So Sword of the Stars II is 7,49€ today. How are they doing with the bugfixes on this? Last time I checked I heard it was unplayable.

I guess you haven't been keeping up with the Amazon DD Sales thread? Sword of the Stars 2 was included in a bundle with Crusader Kings 2, Magicka Collection + The Stars Are Left DLC, Victoria 2, and Swords of the Stars Complete Collection (all with Steam keys except the last two) for $12.50. Should probably wait for something like that deal to come around again if you're interested in one of the games.

I can't get an order through GamersGate because when I select the drop down menu to tell it what state I'm in it just gives me blanks :(

Fuck it I can wait.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the Amazon DD Sales thread? Sword of the Stars 2 was included in a bundle with Crusader Kings 2, Magicka Collection + The Stars Are Left DLC, Victoria 2, and Swords of the Stars Complete Collection (all with Steam keys except the last two) for $12.50. Should probably wait for something like that deal to come around again if you're interested in one of the games.
I already bought the SoTS collection from a steam sale last year so that doesn't really matter. It's not like 7,50 is all that much. I just haven't been following the updates after the failed launch last year, so it would be good to know if it's at least playable now. :p

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can't get an order through GamersGate because when I select the drop down menu to tell it what state I'm in it just gives me blanks :(

Fuck it I can wait.
I just got it on GG and have not redeemed or downloaded anything yet. I can gift it to you. I am in no hurry to play it.

I'm currently playing The Witcher (1) and I need a little help regarding a choice I have to make in the game.

I'm on Chapter 2 and I have to do the Force Recon Quest. I can help the order or the elves. My question is which side is recommended or more fun?

It's a simple question and I don't need the details about the consequences.

Relax.MX

I'm currently playing The Witcher (1) and I need a little help regarding a choice I have to make in the game.

I'm on Chapter 2 and I have to do the Force Recon Quest. I can help the order or the elves. My question is which side is recommended or more fun?

It's a simple question and I don't need the details about the consequences.

I finish the game 3 times and i dont remember that mission XO but...

Neutral on The Witcher is always the right answer...

The Witcher 1 for me is one of the best RPGs of all time in large part because of this, the choices system is the best ever, the decisions we make really do shudder, not just good or bad like the Bioware games

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

As far as I can remember, the quest is mostly the same either way, it just effects who helps you and who tries to kill you during that particular skirmish. Like pretty much all of the choices in the Witcher, there's no preferred path to take, just follow your heart.

So using a fake billing address is totally safe when buying on Amazon.com? And credit card companies don't mind?

I'd love to get Crusader Kings II, but I'm in Canada. It's 10 bucks on Amazon.com.

I bought Sonic Generations, Football Manager 2012, Mafia, Bioshock 1&2, PAYDAY: The Heist and Shogun 2 without any hassle from Switzerland ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom