• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Aside from potentially the single-source issue, that article rubs me a little bit the wrong way with "Valve Corporation is known for a number of violent shooters including the Half Life series and Left 4 Dead, as well as content service Steam."

What does "violent shooters" have to do with the topic? And violent as opposed to non-violent shooters?

Furthermore, Kim Swift's virginity game effort was replaced by a two-woman team, and those two women (with only 36 hours to design and create a game) won the competition...and yet the article says nothing about what kind of game they made, and whether it was a violent shooter or not. :p

Aside from potentially the single-source issue, that article rubs me a little bit the wrong way with "Valve Corporation is known for a number of violent shooters including the Half Life series and Left 4 Dead, as well as content service Steam."

What does "violent shooters" have to do with the topic? And violent as opposed to non-violent shooters?

Furthermore, Kim Swift's virginity game effort was replaced by a two-woman team, and those two women (with only 36 hours to design and create a game) won the competition...and yet the article says nothing about what kind of game they made, and whether it was a violent shooter or not. :p
The point being that violence and sexuality (along with language and drug use and tons of stuff) can both be considered somewhat taboo (especially for younger people) and they've already crossed one of those.

Jomjom

Banned
Not really sure where to ask this so I figured this would be as good a thread as any:

1) Is there any way to make the Steam UI window retain its size after closing down games? After quitting most games, the window resizes itself to become very small.

2) How can I add DosBox games as a Non-Steam game?

3) Related to number 2, how can I add ScummVM games?

Thanks in advance if any Steam experts could advise on these issues!

Rapstah

For the record, this is the natural progression the Gabe gaze image should take from now on:

gabeyeca7tn.png

gabeye2vmucp.png

gabeye3pq7ti.png

Blizzard

Banned
The point being that violence and sexuality (along with language and drug use and tons of stuff) can both be considered somewhat taboo (especially for younger people) and they've already crossed one of those.
Violence is obviously not taboo for videogames, considering that shooters like Half-life 2 have been around for quite some time. The Orange Box was rated M, so obviously it's not intended for young people, so that doesn't apply either. And whether or not it's right, violence/shooting of various sorts has long been (long?) accepted in movies and games, but showing female nipples is a serious taboo, for example. So that's not unique to games, or Valve.

It's kind of weird to mention that, especially without saying what theme the game had that replaced it, etc. Just seems like a bit more information is needed.

Violence is obviously not taboo for videogames, considering that shooters like Half-life 2 have been around for quite some time. The Orange Box was rated M, so obviously it's not intended for young people, so that doesn't apply either. And whether or not it's right, violence/shooting of various sorts has long been (long?) accepted in movies and games, but showing female nipples is a serious taboo, for example. So that's not unique to games, or Valve.

It's kind of weird to mention that, especially without saying what theme the game had that replaced it, etc. Just seems like a bit more information is needed.

The fact they they have to mention what Valve is known for shows that this isn't really written for anyone in the "culture" of video games and more for society as a whole, where it is still more or less taboo regardless of ratings. She's pointing it out to show how absurd it is that you can break some societal "rules" and norms but when you break others in the same fashion your entry gets presumably pulled.

And the story isn't about what replaced it or even the contest really, it's about that specific entry being pulled so I don't feel like I'm missing anything terribly important by not hearing more about the other stuff.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kim Swift obviously left because Valve chose not to make Quantum Conundrum as Portal 2 during the Portal 2 brainstorming month. She really wanted to make it so she left.

Oreoleo

Just got a Steam pop up saying I have free passes to give to friends for CS:GO

I didn't even know they'd let me into the beta yet.

Card Boy

Banned
I would like to give a shout-out to PrematureQuiche for helping me get Max Payne 3 for $50 (its $89.99USD here)

Just on that point I'm extremely disappointed with both Valve and Rockstar that the preload went up 12 hours before release instead of a good few days to a week beforehand on a 29.2gig game. I'm not going to get to play the game for another 5 days now at this rate. I'm downloading at 1BYTE to 600KB per second, with an average of 150KB. When i normally get closer to 2mb per second. I have being changing servers so much i even got a comment from a friend on why im logging in and out all the time. Needless to say im getting shit speeds from every server when downloading MP3.

Also i clocked Alice since owning from the Xmas sale in December. I was not happy.

hgSs2.png

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would still expect GFWL. I wouldn't take the brand new Steam store page as any kind of confirmation, either they neglected to mention it or will update the page in the future.

NBtoaster

Oh shit, did this page just go up? Wishlisted.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/'

Prepare to Die

System Requirements

Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 1 GB (XP), 2GB (Vista/7)
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
Video Card: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
DirectX®: 9.0c
Sound: Direct Sound Compatible
Additional: Multiplayer requires microphone headset support

eh

But only 4GB, nice.

I would still expect GFWL. I wouldn't take the brand new Steam store page as any kind of confirmation, either they neglected to mention it or will update the page in the future.
I hadn't heard that yet.

Figures they'd fuck it up somehow. Oh well still have my console version.

Anyone know if Saints Row the Third still runs like shit on ATI cards? I'm re-verifying some Steam files right now, so I haven't been able to check.

I was also getting constant crashes and missing textures on Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery until disabled the Catalyst AI. I'm so going with Nividia the next time I get a new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom