• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

They're also bullet sponges to a ridiculous level. Still, I heard it has excellent 3D. So maybe one day I'll reinstall FC 2 and give it another shot.

Far Cry 2 is shooter of the generation so far, so if you don't want to be an asshole then go buy it!!!

Malaria/respawning checkpoints. They Ubisofted the shit out of this game.

Should have had bonuses for working with one faction over another. Diamonds for siding with 1, better or cheaper weapons for another,etc. Then make it so if you took over a checkpoint that was connected to another checkpoint from a faction you had sided with then that checkpoint would be controlled by allies.

The purchase is tied to your account, so it's basically impossible to buy the same game twice on the App Store, unless you create a new account. Even though it used to say "Are you sure you want to buy this?" the 2nd time you downloaded the app it wouldn't charge you.

Oh really? I always heard different. Thanks, edited :)

Spazo

Title: Far Cry® 2: Fortune's Edition
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
Release Date: 22 Oct 2008
Languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish
3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

Ledsen

Everybody get Far Cry 2 GOTY 2008™ right now. DON'T listen to the haters, you owe it to yourself to try it for say 5-8 hours. You may have what I like to call the "Far Cry 2 Epiphany™" and realize that the game is actually one of the best shooters ever.

It's also made by Clint Hocking, a big proponent of player agency in games and basically a genius game designer. So get it.

FAR CRY 2 DOESN'T USE SECUROM, IT'S BEEN REMOVED ON STEAM

nexen

I don't know how you people liked Far Cry 2. Also the 3D didn't quite work well for me. Maybe they've fixed it since I played with it last but the held items were obnoxiously close to the viewer. Like impossibly close. Went crosseyed to look at them.
Also made iron sights painful.

Arena Kings, which is by Demiurge Studios and in the same universe as Shoot Many Robots, is coming to Steam and is in beta right now. It seems to be a PVP Arena game.

Also, Nexon was added to the Steam registry. Maybe Vindictus or MapleStory is coming to Steam.

i5uzRiuafZdjb.gif

B44 is the greatest thing to come out of my hometown.

HoosTrax

Arena Kings, which is by Demiurge Studios and in the same universe as Shoot Many Robots, is coming to Steam and is in beta right now. It seems to be a PVP Arena game.

Also, Nexon was added to the Steam registry. Maybe Vindictus or MapleStory is coming to Steam.
Don't they publish Combat Arms as well?

Bluth54

Oh right, how come SE never bothered bringing their PC versions of FF games over to Steam?

I believe FF7 and 8 are in the registry, but were added years ago so it's unlikely they'll be released at this point. From what I understand games on steam have to meet some minimum technical requirements (such as working with the steam overlay) and my guess is that those older FF games didn't meet them.

dot

Vindictus and/or Maplestory? Sweet, i hope so.

I've been taking a indefinite break from Maple and that might make me play it again.

nexen

I believe FF7 and 8 are in the registry, but were added years ago so it's unlikely they'll be released at this point. From what I understand games on steam have to meet some minimum technical requirements (such as working with the steam overlay) and my guess is that those older FF games didn't meet them.

While possible the FF games dont cert for some reason I have a few steam games in my library that do not work with steam overlay already.

MRORANGE

Oh right, how come SE never bothered bringing their PC versions of FF games over to Steam?

While possible the FF games dont cert for some reason I have a few steam games in my library that do not work with steam overlay already.

It didn't need to work with the steam overlay, GTA2 seems to have issue's and never really seems to work with it,.The main issue was the assets were such a low resolution it looked like a an eyesore, something like 320x240 for the game. there is a fan made mod that solves some of the issue's but I doubt SE would use it.

Blizzard

Banned
It was fun until it just got too damn repetitive. Great graphics and scenery, but the constant respawning enemies really got on my nerves (checkpoints you cleared out would respawn much too quickly, IMO).
One NeoGAF user posted this a couple of years ago:

"Far Cry 2 is basically the anti-Crysis. You're the perpetual hapless victim in some godforsaken African country and everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours."

I recognize that some people like/love Far Cry 2, but I still love that assessment of it.

So... Should we all hold off one Far Cry Comeplete Pack, isn't there a chance that Far Cry 3 might have a preorder deal that will include Far Cry 1 and 2?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

"Far Cry 2 is basically the anti-Crysis. You're the perpetual hapless victim in some godforsaken African country and everything and everyone is trying to kill you. Your guns suck, you have malaria, and you're constantly being hunted by packs of armed men in jeeps. It's like a slapstick comedy with one joke and it goes on for about 15 hours."

I recognize that some people like/love Far Cry 2, but I still love that assessment of it.
lol

That was me. I felt like I was being trolled by the game and the people recommending it. I really wanted to like FC2 but it wasn't meant to be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It didn't need to work with the steam overlay, GTA2 seems to have issue's and never really seems to work with it,.The main issue was the assets were such a low resolution it looked like a an eyesore, something like 320x240 for the game. there is a fan made mod that solves some of the issue's but I doubt SE would use it.

Oh, I'd like to see this fanmod.

Aww darn.

Liked the PC version of FFVIII due to the built-in Popstation.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
At this point Square-Enix would be better off just releasing FF7+8 in a PS1 emulator wrapper. It'd run better and look better.

Tomodachi

I basically modded Skyrim to become like this. The enemies are hard, I modded combat so it's more interesting which ends up making it a lot more risky, I have to eat, sleep, and I get both physical and mental fatigue. If I don't build a fire in some of the colder regions, or I dare to take a swim, I need to dry off and warm up or risk certain death. I think it's great.

...is there something wrong with me? I read that description and it sounded exactly like something I'd love to play.

No one loves a challenge anymore, basically. That is also why true survival horror games are long dead. It is sad.

Btw, is the cold/warm feature in skyrim a mod? I always thought it was ridiculous the game didn't have any of that built in, it really kills the mood when you get into freezing water and get out of it as if you've been swimming in a domestic pool.

Derrick01

Banned
I basically modded Skyrim to become like this. The enemies are hard, I modded combat so it's more interesting which ends up making it a lot more risky, I have to eat, sleep, and I get both physical and mental fatigue. If I don't build a fire in some of the colder regions, or I dare to take a swim, I need to dry off and warm up or risk certain death. I think it's great.

...is there something wrong with me? I read that description and it sounded exactly like something I'd love to play.

Sounds like you're going to love Dead State. At least that's what it read like to me.

Blizzard

Banned

By all means go for it then. I tend to really dislike respawning enemies but you might enjoy it.

You might also enjoy DayZ for the survival, though that's a rough mod to ArmA II and not an actual singleplayer game.

No, what you did to Skyrim is what FC2 wishes it was. FC2 is an interesting idea crippled by a few incredibly bad design decisions that can't be modded out. For all the claims of being able to play it how you want, the game goes far out of its way to punish the player for not playing a certain way (and even that way is often broken). As far as I can tell the game's defenders are the kind of people who salivate whenever a designer used the word "ludic", regardless of implementation, appropriateness, or coherency.

If you want to imagine Skyrim as FC2, it would be like if at every entrance to a dungeon there was a low-level dragon that had to be killed, the dragon respawned when you left the dungeon, and fast travel was largely removed while having every quest (and you can only have one at a time) send you to the opposite side of the map (and while you travel there any dungeon you get near will trigger the dragon). And none of your mods because you don't get tired, hungry, or meaningfully injured (the character literally pulls out bullets with a pair of pliers with no effect on gameplay mechanics), although every now and then your vision will get blurry and you have to press the "H" key to take a pill, which you always have enough of until the story says otherwise.

Salsa

That's a great sales pitch for Far Cry 2 as far as im concerned.

It's the perfect game to force yourself to do a permadeath run

The reason Far Cry 2 spawn system works the way it works is because of limitations at the time. It was very ambitious, but as such it used game design ideas that are now pretty much obsolete in these kinds of games. Instead of it working like one big open world, its devided by small areas without noticeable "loading" or anything between them. Each time you leave one (aka walk far enough) that area has to reset, so enemies respawn.

Levyne

Banned
I liked Far Cry 2, played it on 360. The re spawning checkpoints are the lone set-back for me. The malaria thing is pretty stupid too, but like Trades said you just gotta press a button and you'regood for hours. It's almost like it's not even there...just very pointless.

The respawning check points are one of the things that made me stop playing it. That, and the uninteresting world. It just wasn't fun to explore at all.

Dipswitch

LOL, that's awesome. And largely true. I spent a significant amount of time playing the game (and experienced both endings) and the game couldn't overcome the flaws above. There were a few cool moments of emergent gameplay, but the majority of the gameplay was grossly repetive, the enemies/checkpoints were a royal PITA and the games narrative was wasted.

That's a great sales pitch for Far Cry 2 as far as im concerned.

It's the perfect game to force yourself to do a permadeath run
That would be a pretty interesting 30 minutes until you get hit by a random car.

The reason Far Cry 2 spawn system works the way it works is because of limitations at the time. It was very ambitious, but as such it used game design ideas that are now pretty much obsolete in these kinds of games. Instead of it working like one big open world, its devided by small areas without noticeable "loading" or anything between them. Each time you leave one (aka walk far enough) that area has to reset, so enemies respawn.
Er, FC2 isn't on newer console hardware than recent games. Saints Row (and GTASA and older games I'm not thinking of) had open worlds with regions that could be "captured", thereby reducing or eliminating threats. FC2 kept track of the checkpoints and how many had been "unlocked" with whatever their particular bonus was (health, ammo, etc), and there's no reason why the "unlock", which basically required the player to clear the checkpoint, couldn't be tied to an ingame clock or even the console system clock where the respawn wouldn't occur for a greatly increased amount of time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Getting both FC games for so cheap (although they're more expensive here in the EU, as usual - €4.98, which is about $6.25) sure is tempting. I'm not really all that psyched about playing them, but that's basically no money at all. Damn you Steam, why do you always make me want to buy stuff I don't really want?

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Awesome picked up both Far Cry games. I own or owned both on disc but what the heck.

Steam Wallet is full and ready for summer sale. Traded in almost all of my console stuff to Gamestop during their recent promotion for a ton of Steam Wallet codes. This will be my first seasonal sale since I am a born again PC gamer as of March or so.

zkylon

zkylewd
So essentially Far Cry 2 is good then? :D
For 2.50, I cannot not recommend it, but you have like 90% chances of getting annoyed at the game and 10% of absolutely adoring it. I think the game was full of great ideas for open world STALKER-y games (malaria, injuries, shitty guns that get jammed a lot, friends that come and help you sometimes, factions, wild life) but most if not all of them are underdeveloped and yes, checkpoints fucking ruin everything.

I also love that the game's in Africa. There's not enough games set in places other than destroyed Europe, Russia or America...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yo dawg, we heard you like shooting zombies, so we put a camera lens in L4D2 so you can shoot zombies while you shoot zombies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Joined about a dozen giveaways on steamgifts for this. We'll see if lady luck is on my side...

...and lets me win Prey.

Far Cry 2 is a pretty dire game. It has between 1 and 2 hours of interesting gameplay but after that it's repetitive beyond measure and all it's design flaws hit you like an avalanche. Playing the game to completion is a soul sucking experience and you'll wish you could pay someone to make you forget it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom