• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
tumblr_lqli7xxgcO1qk8wk7o1_500.gif

Don't get me wrong, though: I did chase the miscellaneous achievements since they were tied to things I'd already been doing.

But are you enjoying getting that 100%? Because there is no reward for it.

I'll be satisfied knowing I've done all I can. ;)

I am continuing to get Dota 2 card drops even though I got my max card drops a very long time go. Its very random and not anywhere near the rate of your intial drops..but still.

I believe for F2P games like Warframe and DOTA2 you basically get a card drop for every $10 you spend on stuff in the game. That's definitely how it works for Warframe.

Knurek

Speaking of F2P games... Is there a place anywhere that lists how exactly free those games are? I mean, how playable they are for non-paying accounts?

JaseC

As far as I know (and I should know) it is not possible to do a 100% in Just Cause 2. Highest I've seen personally was, I think, something like 97.5%.

The max you can purportedly do legitimately is 99.98%, with the final .02% being the last water tower which actually isn't in the game world but can be modded in.

Thanks, finally I can get them sorted quickly!

I feel the same way, there are a lot of games I'm not really sure where to put them.
Maybe I just should just have a few simple categories and haul them all in there.

Yeah don't let the program sort the games into categories itself, because it sucks. It even manages to put episodes of the same game (like the Back to the Future game from Telltale) into different categories.

JaseC

See JaseC, not even the devs themselves cared about the 100% since you can't get it legit!

It's a bit ridiculous, really. I mean, if you're going to make a game with a bunch of stats that add up to 100%, the least you can do is ensure the appropriate affairs are in order. ;)

The_Monk

And...done fellow GAFfers! The first game of August, completed and out of the Backlog.

sSVF0M1.png

I really loved this Tower Defense game, great towers and upgrades. I heard the DLC is good but I'm not into spending that money on DLC right now, maybe if it gets a nice discount in the future.

So...anyone in here been playing some games lately? *runs*

Megasoum

Banned
The max you can purportedly do legitimately is 99.98%, with the final .02% being the last water tower which actually isn't in the game world but can be modded in.

Ok, yeah I think the furtest we got when the game was in test was 97.something%.

Fireblend

Banned

I've actually finished 6 games since the Steam sale finished:

Hotline Miami
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Antichamber
Kentucky Route Zero
Mark of the Ninja

Working my way through Dishonored right now, which I hope to finish next week, and then will continue with Tomb Raider. I feel so proud of myself.

Edit: Also been playing Monaco and Castle Crashers with my brother and gf whenever she comes over :D how long is Monaco, by the way? We've beaten like 4 missions.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've actually finished 6 games since the Steam sale finished:

Antichamber

Wow. Well done! I tried that game at a friend's house, it screwed with my head in a huge way. Got lost a hell of a lot and couldn't figure out where I was supposed to be going after
getting the blue cube gun thing
. Really should have another go sometime and try and figure it out properly.

JaseC

Ok, yeah I think the furtest we got when the game was in test was 97.something%.

I've also read that there's a problem with six resource items not being in the game (it's believed that the final story missed is supposed to hand them out, since the preceding ones give you three vehicle and three weapon parts), but it's possible this bug has been patched. I'll find out soon enough, I suppose. :p

Fireblend

Banned
That's some nice list fellow GAFfer Fireblend did you like Kentucky Route Zero? I'm curious about that one.

It was great. The visual style is really interesting, and they pull it off well, but what you should really care about liking in order to appreciate the game is the narrative style itself. It reminds me a lot of reading Murakami and other magical realism authors, with a strong tint of the "american roadtripping" genre, of course. It's definitely more of a experience than a game, and progression really depends on you wanting to read the next line of dialog, which is insanely good. There's a couple of scenes here and there where you have to think, but there's no "puzzle" or anything so far where you'll easily get stuck.

I'd recommend it as long as you like strong narratives and don't mind the lack of deep gameplay mechanics. As for myself I can't wait for the other acts.

kafiend

Why not? PS+ is pretty great on PS3, not that pay to play online on PS4

Because It would be like when a game has historically been on sale at 75% and people act like they have been wallet-raped when it goes on sale a second time at 70%.

Except this time people would be bitching because its not free for them, because at some unspecified point in the past someone else got it for "free"

Free - being subscription based but it would.not be seen that way.

JaseC

I wonder if Gaben will at gamescom?

I want to take a picture with my god ;-;

Even if he will be attending, Valve itself is only there to talk shop with Steam partners, so you may not even see him.

Grief.exe

Speaking of F2P games... Is there a place anywhere that lists how exactly free those games are? I mean, how playable they are for non-paying accounts?

Word of Mouth mostly.

I can tell you that Dota 2 and War frame are very playable for non-paying accounts.

kurahador

And...done fellow GAFfers! The first game of August, completed and out of the Backlog.

sSVF0M1.png

I really loved this Tower Defense game, great towers and upgrades. I heard the DLC is good but I'm not into spending that money on DLC right now, maybe if it gets a nice discount in the future.

Thx to this post, I decided to finish one level that I've stuck for a long time...

Then lo and behold, a foil drop!!

Grief.exe

That disconnect. Developers don't even know why the combat was bad.

It wasn't bad because of the contrast between the story and the violence, it was just not a competent shooter.

The fact that the first new piece of BioShock Infinite DLC is combat-oriented, despite complaints about how it was combat that created a disconnect with the character, is not lost on BioShock Infinite lead level designer Forrest Dowling.

"It certainly has occurred to me," he said. "I think that in some ways a lot of the criticism has to do with the contrasts and in this DLC, I think we're straight up embracing that this is what this is. It isn't just the gameplay experience.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/30/4570112/bioshock-infinite-clash-in-the-clouds-DLC

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's a bit ridiculous, really. I mean, if you're going to make a game with a bunch of stats that add up to 100%, the least you can do is ensure the appropriate affairs are in order. ;)
Seems to me like the beta testers said "Fuck it, no one's ever going to play this game to completion. I'm outta here." at around the 75% mark or so.

Grief.exe

Seems to me like the beta testers said "Fuck it, no one's ever going to play this game to completion. I'm outta here." at around the 75% mark or so.

Doesn't surprise me.

Only a handful of people bothered to get to 100%.

They just devoted resources to where they felt would make the most difference.

Dawg

I wonder if they even got to 75%. That's 100 hours on itself and beta testers have to do a load of other stuff besides the story and % completion.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder if they even got to 75%. That's 100 hours on itself and beta testers have to do a load of other stuff besides the story and % completion.

Of course we got the 75%... Everyday even! Fun fact, you need to test the achievements before you can send a game into submission to first party... Shocker I know!

Dawg

Of course we got the 75%... Everyday even! Fun fact, you need to test the achievements before you can send a game into submission to first party... Shocker I know!

Hmm, I figured you'd have to test achievements... but there's a couple of games out there with awful achievements, figured you guys would take a faster route using the console or something.

There are achievements that are far worse than JC2. Feel bad for those game testers.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmm, I figured you'd have to test achievements... but there's a couple of games out there with awful achievements, figured you guys would take a faster route using the console or something.

There are achievements that are far worse than JC2. Feel bad for those game testers.

You can use debug features to test some stuff but at some point you need to test the real deal like a "normal" user would play it. You get really good at it when you have to play the same game for 40-60h a week for 12-15months. Some of my friends were doing 100% walkthroughs of Deus Ex: HR in less than a work day lol.

Grief.exe

You can use debug features to test some stuff but at some point you need to test the real deal like a "normal" user would play it. You get really good at it when you have to play the same game for 40-60h a week for 12-15months. Some of my friends were doing 100% walkthroughs of Deus Ex: HR in less than a work day lol.

That just seems like it would suck out all the enjoyment I get from games.

Valid point.

I imagine you have to approach things differently when you are trying to break it versus trying to get enjoyment. I did QA work for a bit, definitely gives you a different look at things. Telling Engineers they did something wrong never gets old though.

fallout

Yeah, blame the testers for something the devs didn't end up putting into the game. There's probably a bug logged in their system that describes the issue.

JaseC

It took me far longer to complete the settlements in the final portion of JC2's world map as I couldn't spend more than 15-20 minutes playing the game without it feeling mind-numbing...

...then I'd fire it up again 10 minutes later. :p

Freezard

Sounds like speedrunning but more extreme. I'm a speedrunner myself and have been playing through some games thousands of times, never gets old does it :]

tjohn86

I wonder why Valve hasn't jumped on the subscription service for free games bandwagon that is heating up between Microsoft (Xbox Live) and Sony (Playstation Plus).

I actually think it'd be pretty cool to have a $8-$10 a month subscription service that included several new free games every month and discounts on stuff that non-members don't get. I'm sure they could think up some other cool perks with their community stuff (exclusive profile backgrounds?).

Anyway, call me crazy but I'd buy it.

Jesus christ... this would be the worst

JaseC

Yeah, blame the testers for something the devs didn't end up putting into the game. There's probably a bug logged in their system that describes the issue.

Apparently the missing water tower exists in the game data as part of an incomplete settlement (which is why it can be modded in), so I assume it was someone's job to finish the location off, but the task was continuously pushed back in favour of more urgent matters before being forgotten about altogether; similar to Valve's snafu with the "Please don't turn off your console" string being left intact in the launch build of Portal 2 PC.

Any chance BoF6 could be released on Steam if it ever got a Western release?

Of course. That ball is in Capcom's court, though.

It's a browser game, no ?

That doesn't necessarily preclude a non-browser release for DD platforms. Don't Starve is a fine example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom