• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overdoziz

Banned
More adventures playing on the red team in Chivalry, now with customisation.

I run into battle and valiantly slay one of the opposing blue force.

Team mate> WTF Toddhunter!

Vote to kick me starts.

Me> Mate you are wearing fucking blue

Kicked from server.

Customisation and success on steam? Good. Letting you wear the same colours as the other team in a game that is already mostly a clusterfuck (albeit a fun one)? Jury is still out.
For the sake of clarity they should've only allowed you to change your trim in team bases matches. Also, tone down the red blood a bit because it ends up making some blue team members like they're red.

Grief.exe

why the fuck are you drinking piss from a jar

is that jarate

ibupFEQBzCqTUQ.png

I should get myself something like that for my headset, way easier than use the original box every day.

Headset

i977sGpkiiUWl.jpg

You have excellent taste in ear-ware.

Why thank you.

those headphones. I regret selling mine

I'm guessing you didn't upgrade to something better :(

For the sake of clarity they should've only allowed you to change your trim in team bases matches. Also, tone down the red blood a bit because it ends up making some blue team members like they're red.

It doesn't help that you have black and white vision when you're low on health :p

And how does it work? I mean I used SAM before, but only to unlock 1 achievement in Darksiders 2, that didnt register. How to idle with it?

Just open the achievement management window for that game. You can see on your Steam friendslist that it considers you in-game while it's open.
It's the only way I managed to get all the cards for all my games. Otherwise I would've given up.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And how does it work? I mean I used SAM before, but only to unlock 1 achievement in Darksiders 2, that didnt register. How to idle with it?

SAM will generate a list of the Steamworks games you own, so it's just a matter of double-clicking a game to load up the achievement window, at which point your Steam status will change to in-game and you just wait for the cards to drop. To idle in non-Steam games you need to manually input the app id, so I recommend loading up your badge page as you can hover over the game name and see the id as part of the URL (http://steamcommunity.com/id/YourProfileURL/gamecards/appidhere/).

any ideas why i'm not getting dolby digital surround sound output from my PC, gaf? my motherboard is a
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
and it has an optical output, and my surround sound system picks up audio from it fine, but i don't get a dolby digital or DTS confirmation on my receiver, says its just playing in pro logic....under properties on my sound settings both DD and DTS are checked so that's why i'm confused. it's a direct connection from the output to my receiver which works fine with everything.

ideally i'd like to get surround sound from my TV (HDMI from comp, then optical to receiver) since that's how i hook up all my game systems and they use surround sound with no issues at all, but i could see why my computer would force a 2 channel audio output through to my sony tv but....i don't get why the optical jack on the motherboard won't give SS when i have those options ticked, and my motherboard details clearly say it supports dolby...

do i need to buy a dedicated sound card or something?

Grief.exe

You can send the audio through HDMI to your receiver, just download GPU drivers and install the sound portion.

I'm not sure how it works with AMD, but that is how it works with NVIDIA.

You shouldn't need a sound card since your Receiver is acting as your DAC. Right now, I believe your motherboard is processing all of your audio and just sending it to your receiver, which is why you aren't getting an optimal set up.

I'm not all that familiar with home audio set ups though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
any ideas why i'm not getting dolby digital surround sound output from my PC, gaf? my motherboard is a
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3
and it has an optical output, and my surround sound system picks up audio from it fine, but i don't get a dolby digital or DTS confirmation on my receiver, says its just playing in pro logic....under properties on my sound settings both DD and DTS are checked so that's why i'm confused. it's a direct connection from the output to my receiver which works fine with everything.

ideally i'd like to get surround sound from my TV (HDMI from comp, then optical to receiver) since that's how i hook up all my game systems and they use surround sound with no issues at all, but i could see why my computer would force a 2 channel audio output through to my sony tv but....i don't get why the optical jack on the motherboard won't give SS when i have those options ticked, and my motherboard details clearly say it supports dolby...

do i need to buy a dedicated sound card or something?

Optical jacks on motherboards only give DD if the game itself outputs DD. Very few games actually do this.

The only reliable way to get 5.1 out of a PC is to have a receiver that supports the 3 stereo jack solution that has been used forever, or have a receiver that supports HDMI.

It took me about a week of fiddling to figure out that the optical out is pretty much useless for games on the PC.

Ledsen

Optical jacks on motherboards only give DD if the game itself outputs DD. Very few games actually do this.

The only reliable way to get 5.1 out of a PC is to have a receiver that supports the 3 stereo jack solution that has been used forever, or have a receiver that supports HDMI.

It took me about a week of fiddling to figure out that the optical out is pretty much useless for games on the PC.

Same here, ended up going analog since my receiver doesn't support hdmi.

hm. so even going HDMI from gpu or motherboard (i have a 650TI if that matters) > tv, tv's optical > receiver won't work? that sucks, that's how i set up all my other systems with no issues. guess i'll have to get the analog cables and make the back of my tv even a bigger jungle of wires, lol.

chronomac

Quick question about Fez: Does my percentage pertain to the number of cubes I've found or is it more of a areas unlocked number? I ask because I see the top players have over 200%. I'm guessing that getting the 32 cubes gets you to 100% and then the other 32 anti-cubes get you to 200% but that's just me guessing. I'm hesitant to look up anything on the game for fearing of having it spoiled.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Quick question about Fez: Does my percentage pertain to the number of cubes I've found or is it more of a areas unlocked number? I ask because I see the top players have over 200%. I'm guessing that getting the 32 cubes gets you to 100% and then the other 32 anti-cubes get you to 200% but that's just me guessing. I'm hesitant to look up anything on the game for fearing of having it spoiled.

It is based on cubes and a few other things you pick up.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
CAPCOM, GIVE ME A PUBLISHER WEEKEND YOU BASTARDS!!!!!

Now that the sale is over....

waitforthepublisherweekendyoubastards.gif

fantomena

Thinking about buying PAYDAY 2 from GMG with the 20% off voucher, but Im against paying more than at least 20€ for a PC game, but it's tempting and i don't think we will see a sale on the game for some time...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-394A63B115799A25 - Taken by fantomena
Red Faction Armageddon -- MB-92F4FD78BE817FF6 - Taken by PandaPedinte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom