• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Did anyone get their wallet in their inventory? Does this mean future trading can be done with funds?

LDporlT.jpg

edit: It belongs to someone on CAG. I didn't want to publicly reveal a name and their wallet balance elsewhere. He says it just disappeared from his inventory after being there for a few minutes.

edit 2: Another account from someone else. link

It probably has to do with that lawsuit Valve is currently facing regarding the ability to trade in games.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
i can never look at someone's playtimes and assume it's accurate. for me the playtime counter is one of my favorite things about steam
You can't assume that anyway, really. Time tracking was only added in early 2009, so anything played before that wasn't counted. Some games don't track time correctly. Sometimes hours just randomly get lost. Sometimes it just isn't a good judge for other reasons; speaking personally, I have at least 5 extra hours on Toki Tori 1 because it was the first game I spent any time with on Steam and thought the game being paused and Shift+Tabbing to the overlay would pause the timer (somehow).

I mean it's a neat thing, I like checking my "friends played" for people who have put around as much time into a game as I have and seeing if they're ahead or behind me achievement-wise. And I can understand being annoyed at a friends list full of idlers. But it's probably not something you should put that much stock into.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I accidentally left PvZ running overnight years ago and it's still the game that I have the most playtime with of any game on Steam. I really haven't played many long, >20 hour Steam games

Retne

I accidentally left PvZ running overnight years ago and it's still the game that I have the most playtime with of any game on Steam. I really haven't played many long, >20 hour Steam games

Do you just play longer games on the console or do you just not like to put that much time into any one game?

Has this been posted yet?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-25-shadowrun-returns-review

Eurogamer gave Shadowrun Returns a 8/10.

Sorry if this has been posted already. Hard to keep up with this thread.

Though I won't be buying on launch as my wallet is still recovering from the Summer sale, positive impressions and reviews are going to make waiting it out that much harder. I'm totally down for what will be my first time experience with the franchise.

Milchmann

Did anyone get their wallet in their inventory? Does this mean future trading can be done with funds?

LDporlT.jpg

edit: It belongs to someone on CAG. I didn't want to publicly reveal a name and their wallet balance elsewhere. He says it just disappeared from his inventory after being there for a few minutes.

edit 2: Another account from someone else. link

Afaik Russians can already do that.

eyeless

You can't assume that anyway, really. Time tracking was only added in early 2009, so anything played before that wasn't counted. Some games don't track time correctly. Sometimes hours just randomly get lost. Sometimes it just isn't a good judge for other reasons; speaking personally, I have at least 5 extra hours on Toki Tori 1 because it was the first game I spent any time with on Steam and thought the game being paused and Shift+Tabbing to the overlay would pause the timer (somehow).

I mean it's a neat thing, I like checking my "friends played" for people who have put around as much time into a game as I have and seeing if they're ahead or behind me achievement-wise. And I can understand being annoyed at a friends list full of idlers. But it's probably not something you should put that much stock into.
i am aware of all that and i don't put that much stock into it, but it's still shitty. i never said this aspect was perfect before but simply that it is now objectively worse

knowing that sometimes people leave a game running is a far cry from pretty much knowing a majority of my fl (gaffers) now have inaccurate play times. that's what i meant by it. before, i could reasonably assume that most of the time the hours were accurate, but now, i just have to write off that entire aspect. that's all i meant.

but yeah, like i said, not the end of the world, it's just a negative addition to steam that has nullified something that i enjoyed

btw i'm diligent about it and only fell asleep for three hours after alt+tabbing out of just cause 2 once

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow their latest update both broke and fixed the market at the same time. While I agree that their most recent changes needed to happen, the fact that they left a lot of stuff broken really surprises me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What was fixed?

They added the appID to each marketplace listing. This prevents the issue they did have with the marketplace where multiple items with the same name were listed together in the market.

For example, before the update: There is a card called "Pyro" (Team Fortress 2), and a background called "Pyro" (Primal Carnage).

Now each has a unique listing. The weird thing about it that rather than removing the existing marketplace listings, they only created new ones for newly listed items. So the old problems are still there, but won't be there going forward.

Seems like a strange way to do it. But then again, I don't work at Valve so...

For example:

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/Motorized%20Patriot%20%28Foil%29

and the new listing

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/8870-Motorized%20Patriot%20%28Foil%29

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So what kind of games do you play?

Games by time played:
20+ hours
PvZ
10-20 hours
Psychonauts
Just Cause 2
Ancients of Ooga (I think I left this one on too, but I finished it)
AoE Online
Resident Evil 5
Hitman Blood Money
Hamilton's Great Adventure
Bulletstorm
5-10 hours
TF2
DNF
Dead Space 2
Doom 3
Bit.Trip Runner
Bastion
Portal 2
Europa Universalis III
Hell Yeah
Rogue Legacy
Surgeon Sim 2013
World of Goo (left this running)
Fortix 2
Gunpoint
Spec Ops
Syberia
Hotline Miami
Syberia II
Darkest of Days
Kane and Lynch 1
Max Payne 2
Scribblenauts Unlimited

(Of course there's tons that don't track time right like Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands, Deus Ex Invisible War, Keen, stuff like Tales of Monkey Island that gets split up into 5, stuff that I played primarily offline where time didn't track [Left 4 Dead, Torchlight], stuff I played pre-2009 like Commander Keen)

It's hard to crack 20 hours on a linear game without a replay. But honestly, there's also a ton of stuff I haven't played. Mostly I buy games on consoles, play them through there, and then rebuy on Steam years later for eventual replays and posterity. So I own Alpha Protocol on Steam but I've never launched it (all of $2 that set me back...)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
chance are the new splinter cell uses uplay right?

1000%

I finished up the first episode of KR0. Pretty good. Such a lovely game. I freaked out:

At the mine part. I turned off the lights for the hell of it and when it flashed, you could see the miners outline. Nice touch and effectively done.

Freezard

They added the appID to each marketplace listing. This prevents the issue they did have with the marketplace where multiple items with the same name were listed together in the market.

For example, before the update: There is a card called "Pyro" (Team Fortress 2), and a background called "Pyro" (Primal Carnage).

Now each has a unique listing. The weird thing about it that rather than removing the existing marketplace listings, they only created new ones for newly listed items. So the old problems are still there, but won't be there going forward.

Seems like a strange way to do it. But then again, I don't work at Valve so...

For example:

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/Motorized%20Patriot%20%28Foil%29

and the new listing

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/753/8870-Motorized%20Patriot%20%28Foil%29

Well it's kinda understandable since removing the current listings would make for some heavy Internet rage. They are doing it the Blizzard way!

EDIT: It is a bit confusing with the double cards so I'll just stay away from the market for a while.

derExperte

What have you done to me? I don't want any of these games. I said I don't want 'em.

You're lying to yourself. If you don't have any of them you want at least Zeno Clash, Journey Down, Disciples and Cargo Commander. Maybe Dungeons. And while you're entering keys anyway why stop there?

You're lying to yourself. If you don't have any of them you want at least Zeno Clash, Journey Down, Disciples and Cargo Commander. Maybe Dungeons. And while you're entering keys anyway why stop there?

It's posts like this that make my wallet cry. Bought for Zeno Clash and Cargo Commander at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well it's kinda understandable since removing the current listings would make for some heavy Internet rage. They are doing it the Blizzard way!

EDIT: It is a bit confusing with the double cards so I'll just stay away from the market for a while.

We actually know they can bulk-update inventory and Market listings though; remember that the IDs changed for Summer Sale cards posted before the summer sale (when they were Mystery Cards) as they updated the art. From any kind of database perspective there doesn't seem to be any logical reason not to update the old ones.

jshackles

We actually know they can bulk-update inventory and Market listings though; remember that the IDs changed for Summer Sale cards posted before the summer sale (when they were Mystery Cards) as they updated the art. From any kind of database perspective there doesn't seem to be any logical reason not to update the old ones.

I know - it's weird. The way it is now, it's almost impossible to sell anything on the market, as there are far more old listings than new ones.

What also sucks (from an Enhanced Steam perspective) is that Enhanced Steam will still work with trading cards, but pulling the lowest price (and a sales link) on the inventory page for profile backgrounds and emoticons is now broken.

Whoa. So adding Twisted Sisters, DoD, FLY'N, and Indie Game to my computer (never added them to the new one) took me from 98 XP to 58 XP.

Whut.

FloatOn

I've winded down this evening by playing about an hour's worth of thomas was alone and I'm just so glad I did.

such a wonderful game.

it's the perfect game to put you in an introspective and chill mood.

if by some chance you haven't played it yet. get on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom