• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeless

i just don't like that any given time i look at my steam list it's "hey coincidentally every person is 'playing' a game that has cards", and there is no end in sight, they just had over 30 games added, cards are a selling point to people, and therefore this will never end and i can never look at my fl and not see an inaccurate view of what everyone's playing

and i don't like that i was playing psychonauts recently and wanted to check everyone's hours played to get some real idea of playtime for people and it's just oh hey 20 people played 1-2 hours of it in the last 2 weeks

i can never look at someone's playtimes and assume it's accurate. for me the playtime counter is one of my favorite things about steam and while i can choose not to wreck mine for a couple of bucks, it is now meaningless as a whole

cards are ultimately a shitty addition to steam, 30 dollars after idling and selling 80 cards or whatever is not worth it for me

and yeah, i get that for other people they don't care and they're making money and that makes sense for them, and that's the problem, of course you'd want free money, but it still makes the community end of steam worse

I was just jumping into a game when steam died. How sad. I went to work, cleaned cat boxes, worked out, and took a nice hot shower only to find steam's engine coming to an abrupt stop. Where do we go from here?

EA-Origin-logo.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
TO ORIGIN!
Uplay, here I come!

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the people who do idle for cards. I mean, whatever, it's your time and your electricity bill. It's just the thought of downloading a game, idling for cards, and then selling those cards for Steam Bucks makes me wish I had a gif of Al and Buck Bundy (from Married With Children) in one of their "but what if Monopoly money was real money" moments.
I love that show, but can't remember that scene. Do you have a video?

Also, I know that Buck can speak (actually, they're just his thoughts), but I never pictured him having a conversation with his owner Al :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
i just don't like that any given time i look at my steam list it's "hey coincidentally every person is 'playing' a game that has cards", and there is no end in sight, they just had over 30 games added, cards are a selling point to people, and therefore this will never end and i can never look at my fl and not see an inaccurate view of what everyone's playing

and i don't like that i was playing psychonauts recently and wanted to check everyone's hours played to get some real idea of playtime for people and it's just oh hey 20 people played 1-2 hours of it in the last 2 weeks

i can never look at someone's playtimes and assume it's accurate. for me the playtime counter is one of my favorite things about steam and while i can choose not to wreck mine for a couple of bucks, it is now meaningless as a whole

cards are ultimately a shitty addition to steam, 30 dollars after idling and selling 80 cards or whatever is not worth it for me

and yeah, i get that for other people they don't care and they're making money and that makes sense for them, and that's the problem, of course you'd want free money, but it still makes the community end of steam worse

Well that's a problem that will ameliorate itself with time because people are less likely to grind cards for new release games that they're buying for the first time, versus say... Psychonauts. I mean, most of us finished Psychonauts years ago.

It's also going to affect novelty games like Surgeon Sim 2013 more than it would affect a single player campaign-driven game. SS2013 probably has the worst "people played" to "people actually played" ratio. Until Bad Rats gets cards, that is.

I know this has been detailed before but I'm still not getting it...The whole cards thing.

I know I can sell them, which I like, but what is the purpose of using them to craft badges?

In short, what do you get with crafting badges that could be worth actual money in return? All I've read is profile customization and a higher Steam level. Does having a higher Steam level get you anything good?

Grief.exe

I know this has been detailed before but I'm still not getting it...The whole cards thing.

I know I can sell them, which I like, but what is the purpose of using them to craft badges?

In short, what do you get with crafting badges that could be worth actual money in return? All I've read is profile customization and a higher Steam level. Does having a higher Steam level get you anything good?

Check OP

maneil99

Higher level = higher chance of getting a booster pack per week, goes up in % for every 10 levels. Crafting a bage gives you another basic card, a background ( most are worth 2 cents however some are worth more ) and a emoticon ( again same thing , most are worthless

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Here's a video game.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Painkiller Recurring Evil -- MB-B92A5D03D82FF184 - Taken by maneil99

Higher level = higher chance of getting a booster pack per week, goes up in % for every 10 levels. Crafting a bage gives you another basic card, a background ( most are worth 2 cents however some are worth more ) and a emoticon ( again same thing , most are worthless

I got a worthless coupon when I crafted yesterday (instead of basic card)

Teleglitch is so awesome. Between Rogue Legacy and Teleglitch (and the upcoming PC Spelunky) my cup runneth over with these awesome action roguelike games.

EDIT - ooh, Painkiller. I'll enter for that!

Caerith

Uplay, here I come!

I love that show, but can't remember that scene. Do you have a video?

Also, I know that Buck can speak (actually, they're just his thoughts), but I never pictured him having a conversation with his owner Al :p
I may have said "Buck" when I meant "Bud;" in my defense, I haven't seen that show in, like, 20 years. No video unfortunately, I just remember scenes where they were holding wads of Monopoly money with stupid grins on their faces.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

an easy solution would be to tie card drops to certain achievements or points in the game, so that you actually had to do stuff to get them.

Jørdan

Had a foil on the market and I withdrew it so I could adjust the price, it loaded for a while then an error message popped up which I dismissed as that occurs frequently. However the card is neither in my inventory or on the market. Checked for sales and other transaction logs, nothing. It has just vanished.

Edit: It magically appears, was M.I.A for 3 or 4 minutes.

Freezard

Game Collector Badge update.

Hello everyone. We have a small update to the Game Collector Badge today: we've tweaked the XP values to be a little less confusing. Anyone with 100 games will have a little more XP now, and from now on every game added to your library will be worth at least 1 XP.

Caerith

an easy solution would be to tie card drops to certain achievements or points in the game, so that you actually had to do stuff to get them.
Things like, play the game, or use the app that unlocks achievements for you, or borrow a save file from someone who has that achievement unlocked. I'd rather have playtimes messed up than achievements messed up.

eyeless

Well that's a problem that will ameliorate itself with time because people are less likely to grind cards for new release games that they're buying for the first time, versus say... Psychonauts. I mean, most of us finished Psychonauts years ago.

It's also going to affect novelty games like Surgeon Sim 2013 more than it would affect a single player campaign-driven game. SS2013 probably has the worst "people played" to "people actually played" ratio. Until Bad Rats gets cards, that is.
when i look at what's being idled it tends to be recent games, games that just received cards, i think if you take a look at your friends list you'll tend to find the same

but even if idlers were idling exclusively in old games, it'd still be shitty, the fact that is happening in any games is what diminishes the community aspect of steam for me

and as for psychonauts, i don't think psychonauts was being idled because idlers thought 'hey i already played this a long time ago cause it's psychonauts so lemme idle it right quick', it got idled because it was on a list of games with cards. if you want to make money idling games, you'll do it with every game you own with cards, regardless of recentness

but hey man i'm not gonna cry about it or nothin'

Since Ultratron 75% coupon exists, I'm guessing one will for Droid Assault as well.

If anybody gets one from crafting a badge, please let me know.

louiedog

Did anyone get their wallet in their inventory? Does this mean future trading can be done with funds?

LDporlT.jpg

edit: It belongs to someone on CAG. I didn't want to publicly reveal a name and their wallet balance elsewhere. He says it just disappeared from his inventory after being there for a few minutes.

edit 2: Another account from someone else. link

chronomac

Mercenary Kings is fun. It's a weird variant of Metal Slug but with some RPG like elements. You can collect elements that help you craft weapons, armor and mods (like every enemy dropping an item instead of every third). The problem is that the first 10 missions or so repeat the same environment, more or less, and they're all tedious. Go find 10 coins, go talk to this person, find 2 pelts. The backpack is also annoying. It holds 4 items and I usually load up with first aid packs. Well if you get to a wall that needs C4 to clear it and you're backpack is full, you have to use a first aid (even if you don't need it) to open room for the C4 so you can immediately get rid of it.

It's still a work in progress and there is charm and a wealth of missions to play and items to craft but I hope the fix some lingering issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom