• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thieve

Neo Member
The last NFS game I played was Underground/UG2, anything comparable or worth picking up if I enjoyed either of those?

Salsa

im just saying i'd pick it up at the price it would be if it was in this franchise sale. I heard meh things but at a discount I bet it'd be worth it

but Origin

I find this hard to believe. Nothing can be better than Duke3D.

Did 3D Realms top themselves? If so, color me truly impressed.
I also think that Shadow Warrior is a better game than DN3D. But it was probably released too late to catch the public's eye, in a age of 3D PC gaming...

I keep seeing posts about Dota 2's release killing their servers, but could anyone explain why? Don't most people that wanted it already have it, considering how wide the beta access was? You could get access for a penny.

Are they just rolling out a bunch of new content with it that would stress servers? I'm just curious.

Im_Special

Steam just stealth rooted everyone. No, seriously. Remember Blizzard's "Warden" anti-cheat measures? Well, Steam has something like that now. Hooks into core Windows DLLs and if you try to use a trainer in a game, it doesn't matter if you're online or offline, it'll crash out. In fact, it doesn't even matter if it's a Steam game. I put most of my GoG collection into the Steam launcher because, what the hell, why not - but go to use a trainer or edit the memory, and it's game over.

This is a level of invasive, malware-like activity that concerns me greatly. I sometimes cheat in single player games. I don't give half a shit about achievements, I just like to enjoy the game on my terms. They're single-player, why not? Apparently because Valve says so, is why not.

Here's a thread with people freaking out about it, there's another source but its not really legit and don't want to link it.
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/864972621156907811/#p3

Grief.exe

I keep seeing posts about Dota 2's release killing their servers, but could anyone explain why? Don't most people that wanted it already have it, considering how wide the beta access was? You could get access for a penny.

Are they just rolling out a bunch of new content with it that would stress servers? I'm just curious.

You would be surprised how much a barrier of entry, no matter how lenient, will still keep a majority of people out.

If they have to do one extra step, then they will not want to go through the effort.

Steam just stealth rooted everyone. No, seriously. Remember Blizzard's "Warden" anti-cheat measures? Well, Steam has something like that now. Hooks into core Windows DLLs and if you try to use a trainer in a game, it doesn't matter if you're online or offline, it'll crash out. In fact, it doesn't even matter if it's a Steam game. I put most of my GoG collection into the Steam launcher because, what the hell, why not - but go to use a trainer or edit the memory, and it's game over.

This is a level of invasive, malware-like activity that concerns me greatly. I sometimes cheat in single player games. I don't give half a shit about achievements, I just like to enjoy the game on my terms. They're single-player, why not? Apparently because Valve says so, is why not.

Here's a thread with people freaking out about it, there's another source but its not really legit and don't want to link it.

Any source in that link?

You would be surprised how much a barrier of entry, no matter how lenient, will still keep a majority of people out.

If they have to do one extra step, then they will not want to go through the effort.

Yeah I guess that's true. Admittedly I never really looked at the Market before cards happened. It just seems like anyone who was looking forward to it would arrive at the solution easily, though you're probably right.

I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dragon Commander Closed Beta -- MB-FF0209D47A2E2216 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind
Thanks, man, can't believe no one else have taken it. Been wanting to try it out. To be clear though. It's only the beta, right? Any ideas how long it will last?

Rockman-X

Neo Member
Bought the Half Life collection, was about time...

Now, why can't I activate motion blur or high shadows on my 680?
I tried to force directX 9.5 with no result. Any ideas? :\

unbenanntrgssz.png

Not only you, it's been bugged since the SteamPipe update, HL2 and the episodes. There are threads about it on the steam forums. Nothing we can do besides waiting for Valve to fix it.

Turfster

Steam just stealth rooted everyone. No, seriously. Remember Blizzard's "Warden" anti-cheat measures? Well, Steam has something like that now. Hooks into core Windows DLLs and if you try to use a trainer in a game, it doesn't matter if you're online or offline, it'll crash out.

Are you sure your trainer isn't shoddily coded?
I'm pretty certain my uber-paranoia malware detectors would have thrown a fit if it tried hooking into core DLLs...

smr00

Banned

EDIT- I am dumb

Any legit sources? I read through that entire discussion and nothing credible has been posted.

HoosTrax

This is really interesting if true, why didn't they add this to any of the beta patch notes.
Eh, the saying "never attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity" comes to mind. Steam has its own hooks for capturing F12 (or whichever key you have for screenshots), for example -- I'm guessing compatibility issue / conflict.

Im_Special

Just take a picture of whatever it is we are supposed to look at, upload to imgur and delete this post.

Take a picture of a 25 page thread of hackers and trainer makers all freaking out over steams latest update about how it installed some kind of malware/rootkit that takes control of windows system dlls? okay, just see for your self if you want a source.

Grief.exe

Right as Dota gets released

toaksHt.png

Take a picture of a 25 page thread of hackers and trainer makers all freaking out over steams latest update about how it installed some kind of malware/rootkit that takes control of windows system dlls? okay, just see for your self if you want a source.

Out of 25 pages, there are probably only one or two legitimate sources.

Has it ever happened that someone took a key from this thread (pre ModBot) and sold it in the Buy/Sell thread? I saw a few suspicious posts for Steam key swaps for games that are usually given away. Not even sure it makes sense to do scummy shit for the grand payoff of like $2.50 or something =/

graywolf323

Steam is down for me as well, both chat in the client and the website

edit: and it's back, that didn't take long

that's pretty bad if true

Oh, wow, all my extra copies of DOTA2 are gone! Checking previous posts, seems this happened to everyone else. I get to keep the game, right? Is DOTA2 release F2P or they put a price tag to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom