• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do the mystery cards work? Sorry for my ignorance, completely new to this and not sure if I should buy one in hopes of interesting meta-game shenanigans during the sales, or just continue my Alan Wake playthrough in hopes of one dropping randomly (if that's how it works?)

How do the mystery cards work? Sorry for my ignorance, completely new to this and not sure if I should buy one in hopes of interesting meta-game shenanigans during the sales, or just continue my Alan Wake playthrough in hopes of one dropping randomly (if that's how it works?)

No one knows their purpose but Valve says to keep them so I'd so so unless you get a foil.

And I haven't had one drop randomly, I've gotten three from badge crafting though so I assume that's the main if not only path to grabbing one outside of the marketplace.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

No one knows what they do or how they work or if they'll do anything.

You get them by crafting a badge, they don't randomly drop.

Munin

What were you looking for? It looks like a lot of the games are still left

I tried with Splinter Cell, but I think I did it wrong at first and copied the whole LINE (as in, the game title, and not just the MB code). So anyway, didn't get a PM, but I actually wonder if you can keep trying with others?

AndyBNV

Nvidia

You need to craft a badge. Then you'll get one of 10 Mystery Cards, or one of 10 Mystery Foil Cards (highly unlikely). You can see which of the cards you got with the script mentioned here: http://steamdb.info/blog/20/

If you have no hope of crafting, you can buy them on the marketplace.

frozzted

No one knows yet. Craft a badge, get one for free!

Grief.exe

Thanks, guys. I was leaning towards Deus Ex anyway, so I should finally get a chance to play it this evening.

And Grief... "try System Shock 2"?!? My avatar change must've thrown you! I looved SS2.

I actually identify people by avatars over names, so if you change your avatar it causes me all kinds of confusion.

I know I've posted it for you before, but Deus Ex modding guide

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

Nobody knows yet, all shall be revealed on Thursday.

masterkajo

Damn, that is Splinter Cell Black List. I should not have tested this the other day lol.

I tried with Splinter Cell, but I think I did it wrong at first and copied the whole LINE (as in, the game title, and not just the MB code). So anyway, didn't get a PM, but I actually wonder if you can keep trying with others?

Same here. Tested back when modbot was just in the early testing phase and now can't get Splinter Cell :(

So 10 days after getting involved with Steam and PC gaming, my thoughts:

Pros:
- Competition results in amazing prices and sales
- A wide range of unique, inventive indie games and experience that would be too risky to do attempt on consoles
- KB/M allows for tons of controls schemes and gameplay possibilities that aren't possible with a controller (I.e. reloading in Receiver, Surgeon Simulator, RTS controls)
- So awesome to be able being my games anywhere

Cons:
- My only real con and the reason why I didn't get involved with PC gaming earlier is the specs. What I love about consoles is the convienence. I don't have to worry about my CPU, my GPU, my Ram, being new parts, etc. Just put the disk in and play. But that's just me and once I got a better computer, that won't be an issue anymore

But I also want thank this community. Answered a lot of questions about Steam and PC gaming in general. I had a lot of horror stories about NeoGaf before, but now that I'm a part of the GAF community, it's by the best forum I've ever been a part of. Personable, friendly, able to have actual discussion and conversations, generous.

So thanks

I concur dear sir, I concur :).

Have fun!

Wow! Well played sir, well played! :)

Why did I choose Papo & Yo *shakes fist*

It is a cool game though, enjoying the atmosphere even if the puzzles are a bit basic so far.

Anyone have Amadeus and Pontius? I don't want to put 5 dollars in my wallet just to grab them

Edit: Then again I forget the wallet can be used for actual steam purchases as well.

Munin

On a side note, Shadow Warrior Redux is so much fun. I personally think it's better than Duke 3D. Can only recommend it.

Overdoziz

Banned
Have fun!

Curse you, ModBot! I had everything in a nice alphabetical list, and you changed Cave Story+ to Cave Story Plus
Thanks, I got the Binding of Isaac.

---

On a side note: I think it would be clearer if an entire line including the name was crossed out instead of only the code when someone grabs the key. Would make it easier to quickly see which keys were taken. Now it's kinda messy.

Knurek

Thank you, AndyBNV, had some some with Gish in pre-Steam times, will be nice to finally try and beat the game (got stuck somewhere in the first world last time I've tried playing).

zRpKv3toxVB2IMiG_uPe3XVWgA4_GMsOs-8TkFcZj3IQEmRfLD-SSN_40nTawoxOZA2TH2hShxy17k2RVRiFagQbaBYwf5ZL26TfMdTck0p5H8ZKMAfTTeH-G4lYE99SHA95Tido107fttByiJzVEXkXlh8yVYBN87IXzARP0HkDGD4fbSLAFYey0S-GytEaL0SXGmYZlBOgrBCSRhKHbToVYEoydMwS1rKHdYKU1BotQJZPNwbXG_CySp4MRNAoARg-SGF1kBDQ54Em0JTUDW1Mk1hzCtU=

I can't take it anymore...

That's a map of the track your plane has to take to find the Borealis.

derExperte

On one hand the new system will deter lurkers and enourage giving away bigger games in the process. But on the other side people will probably stop taking smaller games out of fear not being able to get something 'better' later. Let's see how this will play out.

Exeunt

I actually identify people by avatars over names, so if you change your avatar it causes me all kinds of confusion.

I know I've posted it for you before, but Deus Ex modding guide

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/ceuyh/step_by_step_moddingguide_deus_ex_i_spilled_my/

I figure that a lot of users identify each other by their avatars, but I don't post much and I couldn't resist boarding the Pokémon hype train. Might bring Joker back later.

Can't wait to finally try out Deus Ex!

Vecks

I'm looking for some TPS to pick up during the Summer Sale, anybody got some advices ? Just as a pointer, I hate cover based third person shooters unless there's something else to it (for example I thought Uncharted was okay because of the locations and characters, on the other hand I found Gears to be uninteresting).

Thanks !

EDIT :
List of TPS/games that have a TPS aspect that I have played on PC :
- Max Payne series
- Resident Evil series
- Mass Effect series
- Alan Wake series
- Every GTA-like
- Binairy Domain
- Warhammer Space Marine
- Lost Planet 1&2
- Spec Ops
- Stranger's Wrath
- R6 Vegas 2

I have a hard time thinking of any TPSes in general. It looks like you've got most of the obvious ones covered. Someone said Dead Space. The only thing I can think of is the new Tomb Raider, but that is a cover shooter for the most part.

No one knows their purpose but Valve says to keep them so I'd so so unless you get a foil.

And I haven't had one drop randomly, I've gotten three from badge crafting though so I assume that's the main if not only path to grabbing one outside of the marketplace.

No one knows what they do or how they work or if they'll do anything.

You get them by crafting a badge, they don't randomly drop.
You need to craft a badge. Then you'll get one of 10 Mystery Cards, or one of 10 Mystery Foil Cards (highly unlikely). You can see which of the cards you got with the script mentioned here: http://steamdb.info/blog/20/

If you have no hope of crafting, you can buy them on the marketplace.

No one knows yet. Craft a badge, get one for free!

Nobody knows yet, all shall be revealed on Thursday.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll craft a badge or two later and see what happens.

sixclaws

Banned
Just beat Ninja Blade. I would recommend it during the summer sale only if you like over the top action, but can stand really bad qtes, bugs, and okay gameplay.

This. Max Payne 3 is excellent, definitely check it out. The original Max Payne games from Remedy are also pretty good, but haven't aged particularly well. I'd also recommend Alan Wake, one of my favorite games from this gen.

Oh, and the Mass Effect series. And Dead Space 1&2.

Vecks said:
I have a hard time thinking of any TPSes in general. It looks like you've got most of the obvious ones covered. Someone said Dead Space. The only thing I can think of is the new Tomb Raider, but that is a cover shooter for the most part.

Woops, forgot Dead Space in my list. I'll check Tomb Raider a bit but yeah, I've looked some footage and the gunplay didn't interest me, I might still pick up at a low price though : I heard the game had some nice ideas there and there.
Thanks !

Bought the Half Life collection, was about time...

Now, why can't I activate motion blur or high shadows on my 680?
I tried to force directX 9.5 with no result. Any ideas? :\

unbenanntrgssz.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
On a side note, Shadow Warrior Redux is so much fun. I personally think it's better than Duke 3D. Can only recommend it.
I find this hard to believe. Nothing can be better than Duke3D.

Did 3D Realms top themselves? If so, color me truly impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom