• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

On one hand the new system will deter lurkers and enourage giving away bigger games in the process. But on the other side people will probably stop taking smaller games out of fear not being able to get something 'better' later. Let's see how this will play out.

What is the problem with this? If someone does not want a small game because he expects a "better" game later, then be it, let someone else enjoy the small game.

Grief.exe

Woops, forgot Dead Space in my list. I'll check Tomb Raider a bit but yeah, I've looked some footage and the gunplay didn't interest me, I might still pick up at a low price though : I heard the game had some nice ideas there and there.
Thanks !

Have you played Just Cause 2?

I put it down because the missions were pretty derivative, but the 3rd person shooting was pretty fun.

Fast paced, jump around, dual wield, zip line all over the place.

And Sleeping Dogs is probably going to be my LTTP 2012 in this years GOTY voting. Not as much shooting in that game though.
Its nice, none of the elements in that game ever overstay their welcome.

There is also Armed and Dangerous, Defiance, Red Faction, Super Monday Night Combat, and Transformers, none of which I have played.

is COD:BO (MP) on a free weekend? It's not the weekend nor did I see any announcement... it's sitting in my game's list for some reason.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box doesn't have any of the car DLCs does it? Is that stuff still available? The Legendary/Toy cars, I mean.

Just keep in mind RE6/Lost Planet 2 are far more technical than most third person shooters. RE6 in particular doesn't play how one would expect, you generally don't just shoot in the head until they die but you instead stun them to pull off melee moves. Approach it with an open mind and I think you'll find it's far more rewarding than most of the other games listed.

Still bummed I missed Lost Planet 2 during the GMG sale, imagine it'll be part of the summer one as well though. Spent around 60 hours with the console version, such an underated game. Really bummed by the direction the third game is taking, Capcom's teams really make TPS that don't play like anything else out there. Spark Unlimited excrete waste. Although hell, anyone can turn around I suppose.

Anustart

Anyone by chance know why Nightsky might not launch? Clicking the Play button causes cursor to change to hourglass for split second then nothing.

Tak3n

Banned
The Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box doesn't have any of the car DLCs does it? Is that stuff still available? The Legendary/Toy cars, I mean.

From what I understand the shop is shut, but you can extract your key and run init origin where there is some DLC

Grief.exe

Just keep in mind RE6/Lost Planet 2 are far more technical than most third person shooters. RE6 in particular doesn't play how one would expect, you generally don't just shoot in the head until they die but you instead stun them to pull off melee moves. Approach it with an open mind and I think you'll find it's far more rewarding than most of the other games listed.

Still bummed I missed Lost Planet 2 during the GMG sale, imagine it'll be part of the summer one as well though. Spent around 60 hours with the console version, such an underated game. Really bummed by the direction the third game is taking, Capcom's teams really make TPS that don't play like anything else out there. Spark Unlimited excrete waste. Although hell, anyone can turn around I suppose.

Too bad Lost Planet 2 is GFWL.

If you buy the first one, you have to be careful which one you purchase.

Extreme Condition is actually Steamworks and activates via retail copy
Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition is GFWL

Too bad Lost Planet 2 is GFWL.

If you buy the first one, you have to be careful which one you purchase.

Extreme Condition is actually Steamworks and activates via retail copy
Extreme Condition - Colonies Edition is GFWL

They actually went back and made the re-release GFWL? Capcom is weird, and that's a really big bummer about LP2. I forgot they used GFWL for a time, suppose I could suffer through it but it'd be nice if they would switch it over. More work than the game justifies in terms of interest sadly though probably.

I'm looking for some TPS to pick up during the Summer Sale, anybody got some advices ? Just as a pointer, I hate cover based third person shooters unless there's something else to it (for example I thought Uncharted was okay because of the locations and characters, on the other hand I found Gears to be uninteresting).

Thanks !

EDIT :
List of TPS/games that have a slight TPS aspect that I have played on PC :
- Max Payne series
- Resident Evil series
- Mass Effect series
- Alan Wake series
- Dead Space series
- Every GTA-like
- Binairy Domain
- Warhammer Space Marine
- Lost Planet 1&2
- Spec Ops
- Stranger's Wrath
- R6 Vegas 2

Saints Row The Third

On a side note, Shadow Warrior Redux is so much fun. I personally think it's better than Duke 3D. Can only recommend it.

This game is crawling higher and higher on my wishlist. I never did complete the original back when.

neoism

I grabbed Nightsky. Thanks a ton man! I'm returning favors soon!

And to think....I played D3 with such a heathen!

sup KMD <3 no I've played to whole series.. i got HL2 on xbox :p and then got the orange box on the 360.. I had all of them on pc but Ep2 missed it last sale for some reason but I just wanted to replay them with that Cinematic Mod that makes it look insane.. since you can use it without changing how Alyx looks, not sure if its updated though, with the update that happen a few weeks ago....

Seeing the plane appear, and the route lines, I'm wondering if we'll have to move a plane around a map by crafting badges or something. Every destination we reach gives us something nice
coupons
. Maybe a mass event, rather than a solitary one.

Have you played Just Cause 2?

I put it down because the missions were pretty derivative, but the 3rd person shooting was pretty fun.

Fast paced, jump around, dual wield, zip line all over the place.

And Sleeping Dogs is probably going to be my LTTP 2012 in this years GOTY voting. Not as much shooting in that game though.
Its nice, none of the elements in that game ever overstay their welcome.

TheNamelessOne said:
Saints Row The Third

Yep, played all these ones (I still haven't finished JC2 and LP2 though :().
I also played RE6 and I really liked it. I watched some gameplay footage on youtube and I knew I was going to love the gunplay, I instantly preordered it on Steam when it got avalaible. Obviously not everyone shares my opinion considering the amount of hate it got but I found the mechanics to be excellent. Of course if you try to play it like a cover based TPS the game's a pile of shit and the fact that the cover mechanic is really weird doesn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

zRpKv3toxVB2IMiG_uPe3XVWgA4_GMsOs-8TkFcZj3IQEmRfLD-SSN_40nTawoxOZA2TH2hShxy17k2RVRiFagQbaBYwf5ZL26TfMdTck0p5H8ZKMAfTTeH-G4lYE99SHA95Tido107fttByiJzVEXkXlh8yVYBN87IXzARP0HkDGD4fbSLAFYey0S-GytEaL0SXGmYZlBOgrBCSRhKHbToVYEoydMwS1rKHdYKU1BotQJZPNwbXG_CySp4MRNAoARg-SGF1kBDQ54Em0JTUDW1Mk1hzCtU=

I can't take it anymore...

I bet it's a map to where the Borealis is. Half Life 3 announcement confirmed

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Seeing the plane appear, and the route lines, I'm wondering if we'll have to move a plane around a map by crafting badges or something. Every destination we reach gives us something nice
coupons
. Maybe a mass event, rather than a solitary one.

I'm hoping for some sort of "Where in the World is Sour Ice Ronan" minigame, using the cards to advance groups of players ahead on a map to the next destination, and bullshit hard trivia questions.

This is completely anecdotal, but it seems that mystery cards 20-24 are less common than 26-30. Not by a large margin, but paying attention to the trading bots and marketplace the last couple of days seems to indicate a slight difference. Individually, 24 seems to be the rarest and 26 the most common.

Grief.exe

Yep, played all these ones (I still haven't finished JC2 and LP2 though :().
I also played RE6 and I really liked it. I watched some gameplay footage on youtube and I knew I was going to love the gunplay, I instantly preordered it on Steam when it got avalaible. Obviously not everyone shares my opinion considering the amount of hate it got but I found the mechanics to be excellent. Of course if you try to play it like a cover based TPS the game's a pile of shit and the fact that the cover mechanic is really weird doesn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I edited in a couple more suggestions as well

There is also Armed and Dangerous, Defiance, Red Faction, Super Monday Night Combat, and Transformers, none of which I have played.

Doing some research on 3rd person shooters, I found Kill.Switch.

Game had a PC port, I wonder why its not available on Steam. I tweeted a couple Namco reps to see whats going on.

Cth

I am giving away a Steam key.To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line and copy the key line below into the body of the PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dragon Commander Closed Beta -- MB-FF0209D47A2E2216 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
First, HL1 is awesome and you should play it. Of course, it's really old now, so maybe play the Black Mesa Mod that remakes part of it.

That being said, HL2 is a direct continuation, but there is a "timeskip" between them and just as the player, the main character is learning what happened during this period, so you can enjoy it just fine without having played the first.

It made no sense to me not having played the first.

I just bought half life anthology today. Is Half Life source just a remake in a new engine? Should I play HL Source, or the original??

Dawg

Awww yeah, got a very cheap SR3 Full Package thanks to Dunder.

Going in for the first time ever, no idea what to expect. Haven't played this series since the second game.

Which game are we talking about here? Half Life 1 may not have support for dx9.

Nevermind. I see the citadel in the background of your image now. Probably have better luck with google than here or in the games Steam forums.

Indeed HL2, sorry! Google didn't help me, but maybe indeed my DirectX is fucked.

Thanks, will try Direct X. Drivers are definitely new.

Hawkie

zRpKv3toxVB2IMiG_uPe3XVWgA4_GMsOs-8TkFcZj3IQEmRfLD-SSN_40nTawoxOZA2TH2hShxy17k2RVRiFagQbaBYwf5ZL26TfMdTck0p5H8ZKMAfTTeH-G4lYE99SHA95Tido107fttByiJzVEXkXlh8yVYBN87IXzARP0HkDGD4fbSLAFYey0S-GytEaL0SXGmYZlBOgrBCSRhKHbToVYEoydMwS1rKHdYKU1BotQJZPNwbXG_CySp4MRNAoARg-SGF1kBDQ54Em0JTUDW1Mk1hzCtU=

I can't take it anymore...

To me it seems that they are using the TF2 map loading screen design on the background of the cards. Adding to that there is a map update coming for TF2 fixing old maps and introducing new ones so there may be some sort of link there somewhere.

Is IL-2 Cliffs of Dover playable now or did they abandon it? Always heard it looked incredible but was incredibly buggy and then didn't run well on anything back when it was released.

Same question for the latest Silent Hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom