• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeless

i will only buy half life 2 and episodes for 2.50 max cause i've already played em on 360, wonder if my dream will ever come true

Sober

Damn, I wonder if I can build my new PC (parts are in their boxes behind me) and get it all set up for tomorrow in time ...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i will only buy half life 2 and episodes for 2.50 max cause i've already played em on 360, wonder if my dream will ever come true

Aside from giving away games for free, Valve has never discounted one its titles by more than 75%.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Damn, I wonder if I can build my new PC (parts are in their boxes behind me) and get it all set up for tomorrow in time ...

Do it! We believe in you!

manhack

Traded in some old console games and got a $50 steam card + $25.00 I made selling Steam trading cards.

My Steam wallet is ready.

Let the Steam Summer Seal begin!

PriitV

JKJl4OE.png
Aw, the dispenser almost had 80085 invites given out.

eyeless

Aside from giving away games for free, Valve has never discounted one its titles by more than 75%.
with that in mind, i wonder, do valve games ever go on sale from third party sites, amazon gmg etc.?

edit: now that i think about i guess valve would never discount their games in some sort of bundle on a third party site more than they would on steam?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
with that in mind, i wonder, do valve games ever go on sale from third party sites, amazon gmg etc.?

I believe they've gone on sale from Gamefly before. Not sure about anywhere else.

Nov 6, 2012

JaseC

GameStop/Impulse is the only third-party DD retailer that Valve has partnered with, and there was a sale on Valve's catalogue earlier in the year.

Edit: Haha, I always bugger up GameSpot/GameStop.

New to Steam but I had a quick question. If I add a Non-Steam game to Steam would it keep track of time played? I love seeing how much time I waste on games. It would be especially nice to see how long I played some of the games I got from GOG.

jshackles

I wonder what today's Daily Deal is gonna be. Can't decide if it's a good or bad thing for the developers. Bad because there will be a lot of eye rolling, good because a lot of people will probably buy it in anticipation.

I wonder what today's Daily Deal is gonna be. Can't decide if it's a good or bad thing for the developers. Bad because there will be a lot of eye rolling, good because a lot of people will probably buy it in anticipation.

Most buyers will probably have no idea there is gonna be a sale tomorrow anyway.

jshackles

New to Steam but I had a quick question. If I add a Non-Steam game to Steam would it keep track of time played? I love seeing how much time I waste on games. It would be especially nice to see how long I played some of the games I got from GOG.

You might check out Raptr, it will do this.

JaseC

The overlay tracks your current session time, but it's not saved to Steam thereafter. I'm surprised Valve hasn't bothered to implement this, really.

cicero

At the least, they should have a Half-Life 2 complete style pack for $5 or less considering the age of the games. I would really have liked to have been able to buy that as a present for someone today, even at $5. Some might laugh at the idea of $1.25 being a dealstopper, but I have a limited amount of funds in my wallet, and $5 is where I would draw the line between an impulse gift to make someone a little happy, or having it eat into what little I do have stored for things I have been waiting to get.

jshackles

The overlay tracks your current session time, but it's not saved to Steam thereafter. I'm surprised Valve hasn't bothered to implement this, really.

Playtime is a variable stored in Valve's database that is associated with an AppID. Since games added from outside of Steam don't have AppIDs, they would have to rearrange their database structure completely to accomplish this. Even if they loosely associated a non-Steam game with an AppID (by name, maybe?) their database requires that you OWN (or at some point owned) said AppID.

House of cards.

Sajjaja

Playtime is a variable stored in Valve's database that is associated with an AppID. Since games added from outside of Steam don't have AppIDs, they would have to rearrange their database structure completely to accomplish this. Even if they loosely associated a non-Steam game with an AppID (by name, maybe?) their database requires that you OWN (or at some point owned) said AppID.

House of cards.

There is no reason they can't do it client side for non steam games.

Has anyone played EYE Divine Cybermancy? The reviews were mixed, but I tried the demo and it's really cool. And it's built on the HL2 engine (I think? Menu and options are exactly the same) and runs smoothy for me

cicero

This has been one thing I have really been wanting Valve to implement within Steam for quite some time now. I don't see any problems with doing this, it only would further Steam as the central hub for digital games on the PC.

JaseC

House of cards.

Steam does assign (long) app ids to non-Steam games locally, though. Take a screenshot via the overlay and check your screenshots folder. ;)

jshackles

There is no reason they can't do it client side for non steam games.

True, I should have mentioned that. There is no reason they can't store this client-side. They want as few things stored client-side as possible, as they get a torrent of tickets already for the things that are stored client side (like screenshots of non-Steam games, etc) disappearing.

Totally possible though.

JaseC

Just picked up the Half Life collection for 9.99. This weekend I'll get to finally see what all the hype is about.

If you find that you're enjoying the games, I'd leave Episode Two alone until Half-Life 3 is around the corner, because it'll just make the wait all the more worse.

Turfster

Has anyone played EYE Divine Cybermancy? The reviews were mixed, but I tried the demo and it's really cool. And it's built on the HL2 engine (I think? Menu and options are exactly the same) and runs smoothy for me

Is every bit of onscreen text still in 2pt unreadable freaky font?

jshackles

This has been one thing I have really been wanting Valve to implement within Steam for quite some time now. I don't see any problems with doing this, it only would further Steam as the central hub for digital games on the PC.

I've attempted (so far without success) to be hired by Valve to help implement features like this one. If anyone knows anyone that works at Valve that would be willing to give me a shot, I'm still interested.

JaseC

I played Eye for an hour or two back when it was part of the 2011 Winter Sale meta-game (IIRC, enemies dropped presents and the drop rate was rather low). I can't say it grabbed me.

Sajjaja

It's source engine. I played it at launch and it was really buggy. Aesthetically it looks cool but it suffers from bugs like infinite enemy spawn (unless that's what it's supposed to be, which was game breaking in my opinion.) Buggy respawns (I respawned in a different area once with no way out. It was a room for the main story line. Had to make a new character.) The story was a mess if you c can call it that.

It means well but falls short. But I still had fun with the class mechanics and stuff. The game play itself was pretty solid and the environments were nice. so was the atmosphere.

Get it for cheap.

Alright, wanted to give the ModBot a try so sent a message a few hours ago but never received anything back, so I decided to try it again and this time I did receive a PM from ModBot but most keys in the message (except for top two) got marked as error for already being registered with ModBot. Good news though is that, along with the error, it listed their secure key so with a little bit of editing hopefully this will work.
Thanks! Got Titan Quest. Always wanted to play it, but by the time i knew about it, i couldn't find it for a good price.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Yeah, it's Source Engine.

It is the purest form of Eurojank available, so pure that taking a straight rail of it will probably kill you. No care or consideration for your feeble human hands was used when thinking of the controls. The game could not possibly care any less if you understand its maze of systems and gameplay mechanics.

Me, I like my Eurojank adulterated.

However, if you could handle the demo, you'll probably like the full game. It'll also probably be absurdly cheap during the sale.

I found it very fun with friends. Its very complex. But all those problems get solved after 2 hours in the game. Then you understand everything (Besides the fucking story.)

JaseC

Thanks! Got Titan Quest. Always wanted to play it, but by the time i knew about it, i couldn't find it for a good price.

If you like the game, you might also be interested in Grim Dawn, which is being developed by ex-Iron Lore developers (and with the Titan Quest engine, no less).

If you like the game, you might also be interested in Grim Dawn, which is being developed by ex-Iron Lore developers (and with the Titan Quest engine, no less).
Went to the site and started looking at the screenshots. Looks like an amazing game. I'll bookmark it and see how things develop. Thanks for the link :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom