• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Great. We're finally clear of the Indie Tower Defense deluge just to be overrun with Indie First-Person Horror-Adventures.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
indies haven't really tried their hands at mobas yet

its coming

9226915019_f05984752a_o.gif

Crossing my fingers for at least 75% off on Walking Dead, Fall of Cybertron and CoD 1-3.

I wouldn't mind Fall Of Cybertron, that would be cool. That's the second one, with the dinobots right? I bet my kid would go crazy if he saw I had that too.

EDIT: Seeing steam has Deadfall adventures listed for November 15th now, it wasn't always so late in the year, right? I actually like the look of that game, but I imagine it might get lost in the hub bub around console launches then, new IP and all. I was sure it was out the end of this month.

Derrick01

Banned
What the hell's going on with these cards? A few days ago I idled Hamilton's Great Adventure for about 40 minutes and didn't get any cards and just now I actually played Brutal Legend for about an hour and didn't get any cards.

Jawmuncher

If this is how Valve celebrates Steam turning ten I'll be disappointed.
Getting Prototype 2 for 10 or less would be nice, since I missed the Amazon sale that had 1 and 2 for that price.

Did they have anything for the 1st, 3rd, or 5th anniversary's?

Not Sure
It would go up at 10 am pacific.

Ahh ok

Not for another hour and 15 minutes at the earliest.

But I honestly doubt there will be an anniversary sale.

There's gotta be something

fantomena

Off-Topic: How do I make a custom title under my avatar here on GAF?

On-Topic: An anniversary sale would be goof with every single Activision published game at 90% off. No exception, even the DLCs.

What the hell's going on with these cards? A few days ago I idled Hamilton's Great Adventure for about 40 minutes and didn't get any cards and just now I actually played Brutal Legend for about an hour and didn't get any cards.

Patience, usually cards start droping after an hour, at least for me.

If you don't get any drop after a couple hours then something is definitely wrong.

Off-Topic: How do I make a custom title unde rmy avatar here on GAF?

Make a funny on Gaming side (no tags from OT)

Also I kinda regret buying Mark Of The Ninja at the summer seal... Do I regret buying not 1 but 3 copies of FTL? NOT A SINGLE BIT.

Is FEZ any good? Most likely not going to play Brutal Legend, didn't enjoy it on PS3 very much. What's that beta game?

Derrick01

Banned
Patience, usually cards start droping after an hour, at least for me.

If you don't get any drop after a couple hours then something is definitely wrong.

Did they change the drop rate? It was always about every 20 minutes for me.

edit: I'm noticing the time played reads as 0.0 on my profile too...

Seems like we may get an Activision publisher weekend or something like that. Tons of Activision published games updated 3 hours ago according to SteamDB.

Acti finally getting off their lazy ass and releasing Heretic 2? :p

If Destiny, Halo Trilogy, and MGSV PC were announced, my life would be complete.

I'd take a HL3/Source 2 reveal with old, forgotten games and Japanese games getting steam release

Did they change the drop rate? It was always about every 20 minutes for me.

edit: I'm noticing the time played reads as 0.0 on my profile too...

Hmmm, steam has been a bit funky lately, try restarting steam, maybe since playtime is not counting properly you are not getting any drops.

Gbraga

I'm interested in Paranormal, turns out the thought of playing horror games scared me more than actually playing them, I'm having a lot of fun with Outlast and Amnesia.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If any mods are listening and have powers beyond our understanding - I would like an Enhanced Steam title and link under my username thanks!

If any mods are listening and have powers beyond our understanding - I would like an Enhanced Steam title and link under my username thanks!

Asking for tags is usually a big no no just fyi.

Although since you're using it more as a title to show you're the dev for it, you're probably better off pm'ing a mod. Try Stump as he frequents this thread.

chronomac

Fez and Sim City make the most sense to me. Fez because of the backlash a lot of people have had to Phil Fish, especially on Twitter. I imagine a lot of user reviews use that as ammunition in a negative review.

Some of the paid critics got to play Sim City in an unrealistically positive setting and they published their reviews before testing them in real world situations.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Asking for tags is usually a big no no just fyi.

Thanks didn't know - guess I'll keep my trap shut. :)

A few of those can be explained away pretty easily:

Fez: Victim of internet hate campaign.

Leisure Suit Larry: a niche game crowdfunded by fans.

Simcity: Reviewers were paid off.

Don't forget COH2 which had metacritic overrun by Russians claiming Relic portrayed the Russians in a particularly bad light.

Finally put some time into FTL. Was a lot of fun until a bomber ultimately wrecked me. Time for round 2.

Ha, me too :). All the FTL gifting last night convinced me to start the game as my new game out of the backlog and I had an absolute blast despite killing myself in several stupid ways.

I was thinking about it this morning though [always a good sign if a game makes you think about it when you're not playing it, I think] and realised that I actually liked how the game made me learn its do's and dont's from failing. The game is so charming and fun to play that I don't mind messing up and re-starting. Whether I will still feel that way after many hours of failure we'll have to see! :)

Coming back to this post which got me thinking a little, because I have to much free time and you seem to be a very sympathetic person.
It stroke me that to my knowledge nobody ever created a software/game/thing in order to help kb+m noobs. Granted, the thing on paper look as sexy as a 500 pages book about urban planning in the middle age, but so many people admits that they are not comfortable with the thing, it could be really useful.
But let's cut to the chase, I was wondering if the wonderful SteamGAF community could help mister Woo and indeed hoo. I think there are surely first person games less demanding than others, what games a little slower than others could we recommend to kb+m beginners in order to adapt to this input ?

I like you; you're good people :).

There was a thread on this very subject a few weeks ago funnily enough. I had a look at it since it was relevant to my interests and the consensus seemed to be to just stick with it; facility with kb&m would gradually come. That's okay :) I had to do that for the N64 so it's not a drama. I've thoroughly enjoyed the pc games I've played in the last few months almost without exception and if I've encountered a game where my kb&m skills were too inadequate I've just put it on the backburner until they have improved enough for me to try it again. In fact they have improved since I started and even during starting and finishing a single game. At the start of Rochard [which is hardly the most demanding game where kb&m skills are concerned] I found it difficult to co-ordinate my brain and my two sets of fingers but by the end of the game I was doing okay. So I'll keep on as I have been and the improvement will naturally come. As long as I enjoy the games that's all that really matters. So far I have so pas de problem :).

I honestly recommend not playing games that are easy and just play some twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament and Quake III, this will give you the FPS skills to use in any game, the benefit of these games is that you can set bot difficulty, It's gonna be hard for the first few weeks but after that your fps skills will be pretty competent for any game out there, it's still a major learning process as you need to adapt it to each game but you will see the benefit of using a mouse.

I had intended to do that actually so thanks for suggesting that. I'll have a look to see what might be a good one to start with. Oh, I have many Serious Sam games from the Sale; would one of those do, if I forced myself to used kb&m rather than a controller?

Maybe I'll gift myself enhanced steam in celebration of steam;s 10th. I've still not checked it out haha mostly because I've only had the pc for 5-6 weeks and I don't know a whole lot about it, but everyone seems to be in love with it. Feel like I'm missing something haha.

You should; it's awesome :).

You do know it's free though right? Unless you wish to make a donation to our very own GAFer who came up with it and posts in this very thread! *HINT* He's already replied to your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom