• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I tell if it is properly connected?

You earn credit and it shows up in your GMG account. :lol

First step is making your playfire and gmg emails the same. (I'm screwed here, currently).
Next step is making sure that Playfire is tracking your Steam achievements (you should get emails from Playfire on a weekly basis if this is working right... also, you should be able to see your achievement stats somewhere in Playfire).

After watching this, I have to say that Airport Simulator 2014 is the gem of that bundle.
Everything takes a long time to do, you might have to wait several minutes/hours without anything to do and there is no way to speed up time.
A perfect screensaver.

I... I kind of want this now.

This is my favorite Airport Simulator 2014 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPjn4EAnCg

...and now I don't again. Thanks Buttonbasher and Vinesauce!

Uraizen

Banned
You earn credit and it shows up in your GMG account. :lol

First step is making your playfire and gmg emails the same. (I'm screwed here, currently).
Next step is making sure that Playfire is tracking your Steam achievements (you should get emails from Playfire on a weekly basis if this is working right... also, you should be able to see your achievement stats somewhere in Playfire).

I think playfire is kind of bork'd at the moment, but in a good way. For example, they state that you can only earn credit if you do an action between certain dates, right? I did all my MGR achievements before I ever got invited to it. For some reason it counted them anyway and gave me credit.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge It Plus -- MB-DB781677F1348CB0 - Taken by Diedac. 3 entrants total.

t1391475336z1.png

I can't remember if I used this code or not, so sorry if it doesn't work.

RS4-

I think playfire is kind of bork'd at the moment, but in a good way. For example, they state that you can only earn credit if you do an action between certain dates, right? I did all my MGR achievements before I ever got invited to it. For some reason it counted them anyway and gave me credit.

50/50 for me on previously unlocked achievements. Sometimes they don't even track properly, like those "play x for the first time" ones.

Uraizen

Banned
50/50 for me on previously unlocked achievements. Sometimes they don't even track properly, like those "play x for the first time" ones.

Well, free credit is free credit, I suppose. *shrugs* The only thing that caught my eye was the MGR achievements. I've probably missed out on some credits myself, too.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
There's another Transformers movie coming out? Thought the story pretty much concluded with TR3?

Hope it won't be terrible.

Grief.exe

Do you guys believe that Thief is worth getting/pre-ordering for $23?

Due to the exodus of top brass at Eidos citing Square meddling, the negative previews coming out, and massive price cuts well before release, you can assume this one is going to be very bad.

Seems like a classic bait and switch from my perspective. Square is banking on the strength of the Thief name and the relative ignorance of consumers to sell copies now.

Faabulous

So if you want Metal Slug 3 on Steam day one and you can currently get it for 25% off... pre-ordering it for that discount is bad why?

Because it could be a broken mess that doesn't run properly is content incomplete and is not generally as advertised?
It just encourages scams where they try to reel you in with shitty DLC and token discounts. If you really don't want to pay full price, you can wait a couple of months and grab it on sale for much cheaper and actually knowing if tha company is trying to scam you or not.

Chronoja

Because it could be a broken mess that doesn't run properly is content incomplete and is not generally as advertised?
It just encourages scams where they try to reel you in with shitty DLC and token discounts. If you really don't want to pay full price, you can wait a couple of months and grab it on sale for much cheaper and actually knowing if tha company is trying to scam you or not.

But aren't there already people with beta access testifying to the fact that the game is solid and worth a purchase?

kurahador

Do you guys believe that Thief is worth getting/pre-ordering for $23?

Where do you find it for $23? I'd definitely bite at that price if you wanna play it right away.

I think the game will be like Tomb Raider and Absolution, fans of the old will hate it so much that they wish the world would end and new players will find it fun/pretty good.

MS3 isn't a new, unproven game that attempts to 'revive' a franchise and/or a big modern AAA cookie cutter thing ;)

He was speaking in absolutes...see:

I'm in the beta, it's not a broken mess. :lol
If I want to play it the day it comes out, I don't understand why I wouldn't give them $6 now instead of $8 later, especially since I'm currently playing the game and it's good. :p

But aren't there already people with beta access testifying to the fact that the game is solid and worth a purchase?

It was just an example -- the first instance of an example that seemed like a pretty good argument to the "never preorder" mantra that Faabulous was preaching. :D

I'll preorder a game if the price is low enough and there's a good chance I'm going to like it. See: Resident Evil 4 (got it for 25% off), Metal Slug 3 (I want to preorder @ 25% off), and MGR:R (I would've bought it at full price, but first day of preorder was $20, it was an instant buy).

Chronoja

Well, I'm not talking about MS3 specifically. Of course it varies on case by case.

Well if it varies from case to case then forcing the rhetoric "never preorder" is a bit flawed because sometimes it will be worth it, nothing more than a simple discount for an eager consumer. Maybe the rhetoric to "think very, very carefully before you preorder" is more apt?

Consider the preorder bonuses of Rayman 2 and Might & Magic 6. Damn fine rarities these days ;)

Tenrius

When I preorder something, it's usually like betting on the particular game turning out good. I also do it to have something to look forward to, for the general excitement of waiting until a specific date and time and then getting to play it among the first and being able to share your first impressions with other people.

If the game actually happens to turn out bad, well, that's more of an "oh well" moment, because that's not the most important part here. So why shouldn't I spend my money on all of that, if I want it, eh? I don't preorder games very often though, same goes for buying for full, not significantly discounted price.

Faabulous

Well if it varies from case to case then forcing the rhetoric "never preorder" is a bit flawed because sometimes it will be worth it, nothing more than a simply discount for an eager consumer. Maybe the rhetoric to "think very, very carefully before you preorder" is more apt?

Consider the preorder bonuses of Rayman 2 and Might & Magic 6. Damn fine rarities these days ;)

I suppose that's true, but still don't think it's worth giving my money for something you'll not get for a while following only your guts. If you get immediate beta acess I consider it more like early acess which I have no problem with, so I stand by my statement to NEVER pre-order anything.

When I preorder something, it's usually like betting on the particular game turning out good. I also do it to have something to look forward to, for the general excitement of waiting until a specific date and time and then getting to play it among the first and being able to share your first impressions with other people.

If the game actually happens to turn out bad, well, that's more of an "oh well" moment, because that's not the most important part here. So why shouldn't I spend my money on all of that, if I want it, eh? I don't preorder games very often though, same goes for buying for full, not significantly discounted price.

If that's the case why don't you just buy it day 0 so the publishers don't get data to back their idea that scaming us with pre-orders is nice? You mitigate the problem that all pre-orders have while keeping your excitement. If you need to pay money to look foward to something, must really suck to not look foward to any movies that are not close to coming out.

Grief.exe

February/March is so packed full of releases.

Titanfall Beta
Resident Evil 4
South Park
Titanfall
Dark Souls

What else should I put on my radar?

Levyne

Banned
Something about listing the Titanfall Beta and Titanfall makes me chuckle.

Just Lords of Shadow 2 for me. Dark Souls if it sees PC in that window.

Faabulous

He was speaking in absolutes...see:

I'm in the beta, it's not a broken mess. :lol
If I want to play it the day it comes out, I don't understand why I wouldn't give them $6 now instead of $8 later, especially since I'm currently playing the game and it's good. :p

It was just an example -- the first instance of an example that seemed like a pretty good argument to the "never preorder" mantra that Faabulous was preaching. :D

I'll preorder a game if the price is low enough and there's a good chance I'm going to like it. See: Resident Evil 4 (got it for 25% off), Metal Slug 3 (I want to preorder @ 25% off), and MGR:R (I would've bought it at full price, but first day of preorder was $20, it was an instant buy).

Well, if you can play the beta by pre-ordering, you basically payed for early acess, which is not as bad IF you know what you are getting into. It's with pre-orders sight unseen that I have a problem with. It's honestly a cancer this industry has.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, I just realized.

There's no aquarium sim/management game in Steam. I'd actually want to create a virtual aquarium.

Uraizen

Banned
Well, if you can play the beta by pre-ordering, you basically payed for early acess, which is not as bad IF you know what you are getting into. It's with pre-orders sight unseen that I have a problem with. It's honestly a cancer this industry has.

So you're basically okay with stuff like Metal Slug 3 and King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition, but wouldn't be okay with pre-ordering something like Watch Dogs or South Park?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nice, Castle of Illusion is in Spanish despite having selected English in the game's properties. And of course, there's no way of changing the language from within the game. Off to a great start we go...

Turfster

Nice, Castle of Illusion is in Spanish despite having selected English in the game's properties. And of course, there's no way of changing the language from within the game. Off to a great start we go...

Try fiddling with your regional settings in windows.

I liked Absolution... Why was it that bad? True, more story driven and not on par with silent assassin, but still noteworthy.

I enjoyed it as well for what it was, a non-stealth Hitman game. Save for a few stupid non-levels that is.. I just always assume Derrick thought it was the worst game ever.

Tenrius

If that's the case why don't you just buy it day 0 so the publishers don't get data to back their idea that scaming us with pre-orders is nice? You mitigate the problem that all pre-orders have while keeping your excitement. If you need to pay money to look foward to something, must really suck to not look foward to any movies that are not close to coming out.

I could explain my reasoning for not doing that (it mostly involves preorder bonuses and not having to worry about having enough dispensable money left by the release date).

However, the main reason I do it is because I don't think that pre-ordering gives publishers reason to believe that "scamming people with pre-orders" is a good idea. I frankly think that's a crazy thing to say, and even if some games did turn out bad or unfinished on day one, I wouldn't normally worry about that too much: things like that happen. You're also for some reason trying to counter my argument against pre-orders being some evil horrible thing from the outer reaches of Hell by simply repeating that initial point of yours again, which I find strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom