• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN90

..is pretty fun! Gameplay is similar to Resogun in that you need to rescue cat miners while simultaneously shooting down enemies.
Great soundtrack, too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks Dusk Gollem for I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.
OP+why+is+my+mouth+sore+_2bcfceec69121f5a83d964eefa8b8a2e.gif

Zeknurn

Coming Soon: Your Product Updates On The Front Page of Steam

Back in October we added a beta feature called "Visibility Rounds." This feature previously let you opt in to making your product appear on the front page of Steam store for a certain number of views. Starting tomorrow afternoon, we will be changing this feature to be more focused around communicating major updates to your product. Here's how it will work:
Any product, old or new, will have five Update Visibility Rounds that can be opted in to. (We'll reset any previously used visibility rounds)
To opt in, you will be asked to provide a 100-character 'short description' about your update. You will also be asked to select a recent Steam Community announcement where you describe your update in greater detail.
Once you click 'go', your title will be added to a pool to be displayed on the front page of the Steam store in a new section titled "Recently updated" along with your short description and a link to your announcement.
This will be an ideal place to tell customers when you've made a major update to your product, integrated with new features (such as Workshop), added new content to your game, or released new DLC.
Additionally, customers will have a new section in the store that shows them a chronological list of a recently updated products as well as a filter to just ones that they have bought or activated on Steam.

This will be very useful since every game is Early Access now.

Khronico

HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Khronico:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Khronico, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream -- MB-F5403D4B16152E69 - Taken by Turfster

Grief.exe

Coming Soon: Your Product Updates On The Front Page of Steam

Back in October we added a beta feature called "Visibility Rounds." This feature previously let you opt in to making your product appear on the front page of Steam store for a certain number of views. Starting tomorrow afternoon, we will be changing this feature to be more focused around communicating major updates to your product. Here's how it will work:
Any product, old or new, will have five Update Visibility Rounds that can be opted in to. (We'll reset any previously used visibility rounds)
To opt in, you will be asked to provide a 100-character 'short description' about your update. You will also be asked to select a recent Steam Community announcement where you describe your update in greater detail.
Once you click 'go', your title will be added to a pool to be displayed on the front page of the Steam store in a new section titled "Recently updated" along with your short description and a link to your announcement.
This will be an ideal place to tell customers when you've made a major update to your product, integrated with new features (such as Workshop), added new content to your game, or released new DLC.
Additionally, customers will have a new section in the store that shows them a chronological list of a recently updated products as well as a filter to just ones that they have bought or activated on Steam.

This will be very useful since every game is Early Access now.

As close as we are going to get to Steam forcing developers to post patch notes. Love the feature.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Surely they're going to revamp the client, right?

More likely to (if anything) just change the homepage. Best case scenario we get a site-wide redesign, but that seems unlikely.
If that's the case, I'll have some major work to do on Enhanced Steam.

As close as we are going to get to Steam forcing developers to post patch notes. Love the feature.

I also think it's a good idea - the platform as a whole really lacks the whole "targeted advertising" perspective. The idea of being able to customize this new dialog on the homepage to only show games you own, etc is a good step in the right direction, imho

MRORANGE

Are... are we winning at it?

Level 1-10: Visitor or Banned
Level 11-20: Sign-up Member
Level 21-30: Junior
Level 31-40: Member
Level 41-50: Tagged Member
Level 51-70: Minor Mod
Level 71-90: Upper Mod
Level 91-100: Evilore.

I think you've pretty much grinded enough, anything past 40 isn't worth the effort or time even with Gaf-Gold triple XP DLC.

jediyoshi

Why do I feeling this is only going to add to the clutter on the front page.

If the new section it gets placed in is just another tab alongside New Releases and Top Sellers, it sounds completely harmless. They already did a solid by removing early access from new releases so everything's been in order.

oipic

Folks, please don't let that Tales of Maj'Eyal goodness in mcfishstick's mammoth and generous giveaway go to waste, it's a charming little rogue-like thing.

(nice work, mcfishstick!)

Zeknurn

If the new section it gets placed in is just another tab alongside New Releases and Top Sellers, it sounds completely harmless. They already did a solid by removing early access from new releases so everything's been in order.

I would imagine they want it to be visible and not hidden in another tab. We'll see though.

On a sidenote, the front page really should be completely customisable by allowing the user to move around the boxes and hide/show them. I'd like to make more use of a widescreen resolution.

Dr Dogg

Surely they're going to revamp the client, right?

Our only hope is getting jshackles on the job. Truly the UI hero we need.

Obligatory petition posting for those who haven't signed it yet.

Speaking of which I had a bit of a barmy idea that I don't know how easy it would be to pull off. Seeing as you can launch a game for your browser could you say have a link on your games page to boot up any installed games? It just uses the command steam://rungameid followed by the app id right?

Turfster

I would imagine they want it to be visible and not hidden in another tab. We'll see though.

On a sidenote, the front page really should be completely customisable by allowing the user to move around the boxes and hide/show them. I'd like to make more use of a widescreen resolution.

We can dream. All of this would involve making the front page not just a fucking html page, tho... and if they're going to finally do that, they might as well un-htmlfuck all the other pages so they can be brought into this century instead of the 17th.

Arthea

let me tell you about a great little game 10,000,000. It seems to be a roguelike and match 3 hybrid game and it is, but in fact it's your way to freedom, hilarious and really nerve racking.
When you upgrade your weapons and armour, kill all dragons every single time, you might think you deserve your freedom, but it's about a million or two away... every single time!
To make story short, buy it! It's one of the best ways to spend 0,99€ that I know of.
played for 10 hours, had a blast, still can't quite get to freedom. It's no easy game.

Finished Bioshock Infinite, fun game , I preferred it to the first bio (I didn't finished it, because of the mouse acceleration and the story didn't really get me), also I love
time travel/alternate universes stuff
so I enjoyed it. Only thing is that I found the final part a little rushed,
I didn't have the time to understand what they were showing me, door after another. When I finally put the pieces together I've found it a nice ending, but as I said earlier, a little rushed

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

This is something I've been pondering for quite some time now. While technically possible, using Enhanced Steam to do this just seems... weird. As in, the page would load then Enhanced Steam would go to work moving the elements on the page around to the locations you've previously set. It works, but honestly isn't a very good user experience. Now if Valve would hurry up and hire me...

Our only hope is getting jshackles on the job. Truly the UI hero we need.

Obligatory petition posting for those who haven't signed it yet.

Speaking of which I had a bit of a barmy idea that I don't know how easy it would be to pull off. Seeing as you can launch a game for your browser could you say have a link on your games page to boot up any installed games? It just uses the command steam://rungameid followed by the app id right?

This would be very much possible. I'll look into it.

def sim

I'm going to feel really bad about buying LoS1 at release if they include it with LoS2. I haven't played very much of it at all.

Grief.exe

I'm going to feel really bad about buying LoS1 at release if they include it with LoS2. I haven't played very much of it at all.

It would be so strange if that is what they chose to go with. Their biggest fans preordering the sequel are going to be the ones that already bought and enjoyed the original game.

Makes the Mirror of Fate HD rumor so much more plausible.

def sim

It would be so strange if that is what they chose to go with. Their biggest fans preordering the sequel are going to be the ones that already bought and enjoyed the original game.

Makes the Mirror of Fate HD rumor so much more plausible.

Well, I hope they're as sensible as we expect them to be!

Dr Dogg

This is something I've been pondering for quite some time now. While technically possible, using Enhanced Steam to do this just seems... weird. As in, the page would load then Enhanced Steam would go to work moving the elements on the page around to the locations you've previously set. It works, but honestly isn't a very good user experience. Now if Valve would hurry up and hire me...

This would be very much possible. I'll look into it.

Hahaha no need to on my account just musing about all the things that are possible but don't get added. I'd rather we get you installed at Valve ;) though anything that helps can't be bad right?

On the subject of the front page, you mean something like iGoogle right? That could be really neat but I would imagine would be loads of work storing all the layouts for all the users you have.

Speaking of that Blink Bundle, what are GAF impressions on Gnomoria? Looks like DF-lite, which sounds kinda interesting as DF has always seemed too time consuming to learn for me.

jshackles

Hahaha no need to on my account just musing about all the things that are possible but don't get added. I'd rather we get you installed at Valve ;) though anything that helps can't be bad right?

On the subject of the front page, you mean something like iGoogle right? That could be really neat but I would imagine would be loads of work storing all the layouts for all the users you have.

Yeah it could initially be like iGoogle - place each "section" or "box" on the site in the order you'd like to see it. The values would be stored in the user's preference storage rather than on my server.

You could rearrange the sections of the homepage to your liking (or delete the ones you never use).

If people think this would be an idea worth exploring, let me know.

New simulator bundle by BundleStars

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/extreme-sims-bundle/

Ship Simulator Extremes
Lunar Flight
Dogfight 1942
Bridge It (Plus)
Airport Simulator 2014
Skyscraper Simulator
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition

All Steam redeemable

Tempting, but where is Goat Simulator?

Thanks! My journey to 1000 games ended with Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition.

Mine ended with Day-Z mod/Arma II.
Welcome to the club!

When is Valve going to decide that it's okay to have a website that's wider than 600 pixels?

Never!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't really use my music with games, but it's nice feature for those who do.
I usually don't in first/normal playthroughs, but it's a must for me when I'm doing challenges, achievements and such, especially in shooty open world games like Far Cry 3 and Just Cause 2. Great way to tune-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom