• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Apparently the whole Paper Monsters deal has to do with the publisher, Strategy First. The developers actually, for better or worse, may not have actual control over this, even if they say so. From my understanding the Steam version is distributed by the publisher of Paper Monsters, Strategy First, which are a pretty scummy publisher, but they do probably have the rights to it and to do with it what they want.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Apparently the whole Paper Monsters deal has to do with the publisher, Strategy First. The developers actually, for better or worse, may not have actual control over this, even if they say so. From my understanding the Steam version is distributed by the publisher of Paper Monsters, Strategy First, which are a pretty scummy publisher, but they do probably have the rights to it and to do with it what they want.

Thanks for the heads up. That's kind of sad, really. Especially since they were planning on an upgraded version for release on Steam.

I feel like I was trolled bad, by steam
I look at the store and see word Homeworld and jump to conclusions at once!
And it's this
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275350/

Yeah I fell for this too.

That's what I've gathered from peoples comments on the matter. I hope the developers manage to get it sorted but that publisher is likely using some grey-area loophole.

Also posting this again so that people can get the last couple of codes:

ModBot said:
Instructions for mcfishstick:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 44 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

leviathan warships -- MB-B14B803F08F1F67A - Taken by Saty
Data Jammers -- MB-6AFC644693196139 - Taken by Camel Master
Tales of MajEyal #3 -- MB-9BAF98E4809838FD
Tales of MajEyal #2 -- MB-6706D9AFE2A85882 - Taken by Purkake4
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-DFFA357A7245AE51 - Taken by tylergregg
Race Injection -- MB-B97D95893BDC014F - Taken by Kifimbo
The showdown effect -- MB-BFC06BD50BEEA790 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt
Ravensword: Shadowlands #4 -- MB-97D9F64A793977DE - Taken by Santiako
Ravensword: Shadowlands #2 -- MB-F74F971C2FF82E0E - Taken by user237
Ravensword: Shadowlands #3 -- MB-3BA2B99FE202F4FC
Bridge It -- MB-E296C79A4604A11A - Taken by PriitV
Shadows: Price for our Sins #3 -- MB-B2207938780CC128
Shadows: Price for our Sins #2 -- MB-C4A085CBD3FD31C2
Two Brothers #4 -- MB-3F275437EB4CFFF1 - Taken by Sendou
Ion Assault -- MB-5832856CEE7F185D - Taken by The_Super_Inframan
Gravity Badgers -- MB-D2A1408A37449B04 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Shadows: Price for our Sins #4 -- MB-2226E88360909149
Ballpoint Universe #2 -- MB-A74F288A9393588B - Taken by jmizzal
Ballpoint Universe #3 -- MB-A75A4F4B6F1D9CF6 - Taken by didamangi
Gumboy Tournament -- MB-4839412949B15507 - Taken by bobnowhere
neighbours from hell -- MB-BEEEB31401FC0454 - Taken by Stumpokapow
War of the roses kingmaker #2 -- MB-75B8FB363FE862BE - Taken by Diedac
Magicka -- MB-65B070C711C210A8 - Taken by thrillho
Razor2: Hidden Skies -- MB-999F36243FBF8271 - Taken by Terra_Ex
Two Brothers -- MB-66EEA8F19BEBD085 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Tales of MajEyal #4 -- MB-CD1F041E1F15A279 - Taken by Ryne
Warfare -- MB-B0B0CE9E825DBFD7
Gravity Badgers #3 -- MB-4A11257D5324B0F0
Gravity Badgers #2 -- MB-BE3CFB2E18BD97FC - Taken by Kiru
Gravity Badgers #4 -- MB-CDA9916C0104FCA1 - Taken by trailmix16
Shadows: Price for our Sins -- MB-6DDB5B80AC83ACE9
Europa Universalis III Complete -- MB-E1759AB1A6562C08 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito
Europa Universalis: Rome Gold Edition -- MB-A4ADF5810C42A602 - Taken by Scipius
SpaceChem | Steam Key -- MB-CDF4476018FCF1A8 - Taken by Dusk Golem
Two Brothers #3 -- MB-C46B80E5EF16B8BE - Taken by Madrugador
Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold -- MB-93D2338304684D96 - Taken by ohblahitsme
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-31B15886494FAAC9 - Taken by Alien8
Two Brothers #2 -- MB-176AAF10E35B8368 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda
The showdown effect #2 -- MB-3C94933F77C8FEB8 - Taken by dot
indie game the movie -- MB-3BE79BF29C9283DB - Taken by Arthea
War of the roses kingmaker -- MB-2B52E089C8B90866 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN
SpaceChem: 63 Corvi DLC -- MB-E2A7CD5D17DF4E34 - Taken by inm8num2
Hearts of Iron III -- MB-8D7EB81F765E8FAA - Taken by Zeknurn
Tales of MajEyal -- MB-87410BCDEA7DA269 - Taken by Mavromatis

Looks like Paper Monsters is not a legit release.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275370/

Crescent Moon Games ‏@CM_Games

https://twitter.com/CM_Games/status/430472940958674945

How does this even happen. Strategy First has over 40 games on Steam (Bad Rats among them), would they really risk this for some low-key mobile game?

edit:

ohh, alright. That's kinda fucked up.

VoidZero

Banned
New simulator bundle by BundleStars

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/extreme-sims-bundle/

Ship Simulator Extremes
Lunar Flight
Dogfight 1942
Bridge It (Plus)
Airport Simulator 2014
Skyscraper Simulator
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition

All Steam redeemable

After watching this, I have to say that Airport Simulator 2014 is the gem of that bundle.
Everything takes a long time to do, you might have to wait several minutes/hours without anything to do and there is no way to speed up time.
A perfect screensaver.

Copons

Yeah it could initially be like iGoogle - place each "section" or "box" on the site in the order you'd like to see it. The values would be stored in the user's preference storage rather than on my server.

You could rearrange the sections of the homepage to your liking (or delete the ones you never use).

If people think this would be an idea worth exploring, let me know.

It would be interesting (although I never really used these kind of organization in the few sites that used this UI in the second half of the 00s, and I guess I wasn't alone as it's a practice mostly fallen into oblivion), but wouldn't it be a monstrous effort on your part?

I mean, while it is true that Valve rarely makes changes on the homepage, if they change something, even a single id, people with that feature enabled would most likely get a completely screwed homepage (in the same fashion of when download page is updated screwing custom skins). Best case scenario: divs overlapping; worst case scenario: inevitably hidden divs.
And all of this without even considering the huge changes they do for every sale...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, while it is true that Valve rarely makes changes on the homepage, if they change something, even a single id, people with that feature enabled would most likely get a completely screwed homepage (in the same fashion of when download page is updated screwing custom skins). Best case scenario: divs overlapping; worst case scenario: inevitably hidden divs.
And all of this without even considering the huge changes they do for every sale...

All very true and valid points. Complicated further by the fact that Valve doesn't even give these divs IDs - I would have to assign them based on their DOM layout which, if changed, would cause issues.

Like I said earlier, really the best way to handle this would be for Valve to hire me and put me to work on the task.

Copons

All very true and valid points. Complicated further by the fact that Valve doesn't even give these divs IDs - I would have to assign them based on their DOM layout which, if changed, would cause issues.

Like I said earlier, really the best way to handle this would be for Valve to hire me and put me to work on the task.

Holy shit I never gave a look to the code of the page!
So much room for improvement... all those inline scripts... they didn't even took the time to minify stuff, I mean, come on!

But then I must say it's impressive to see they're using data attributes like they actually know which decade we're living in. :D

Sorry if this is asked all the time, but does the Steam version of South Park use UPlay? There's nothing on the Steam store page that would suggest it does..

I'm thinking I'd like to pre-order it.

Did you miss one of the previous chances? Another one!

ModBot said:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream -- MB-0E66AC3B3AED4D03 - Taken by Madrugador

maneil99

Thanks for the heads up. That's kind of sad, really. Especially since they were planning on an upgraded version for release on Steam.

Grab it before its gone like the dinosaurs....

....Only to be brought back as robots that is

TF4SuperBowlTrailer.gif

kulapik

Are you really thinking on buying the game in order to resell it after knowing that the developers ain't gonna get a cent? Jesus.

maneil99

Are you really thinking on buying the game in order to resell it after knowing that the developers ain't gonna get a cent? Jesus.

Whats the big deal there, are you relaly gonna buy that used game since the devs wont get a cent? People are going to buy the game regardless, why not make a bit of money. Im not going to do it because I have no $ but why give jshacks a hard time

So after multiple mess ups I'm going along quite nicely with a new game, my soldier boys and girls are slowly but surely levelling up and they haven't been shot to pieces multiple times to ruin their Will and make them susceptible to panic. I have one soldier who is yet to get a kill on this particular mission so I instruct him to use a missile for a guaranteed kill. He gets this but unfortunately it seems he can't aim for crap because he sends my Assault rocketing up in the air instead.

*sigh* 'rage' quit and restart number I've lost count

I am enjoying myself. No really :(.

kulapik

Whats the big deal there, are you relaly gonna buy that used game since the devs wont get a cent? People are going to buy the game regardless, why not make a bit of money. Im not going to do it because I have no $ but why give jshacks a hard time

Well, if I buy a used game neither the developer or the publisher get money, so it's not a big deal. Here, a publisher is putting a straight movile port (if it weren't that way they would know) and without their autorization, meaning all money goes to the publisher. If he wants to buy it, not my problem, but hope you buy the good version when it"s out.

Backlogger

Does Paper Monsters have controller support? Store page doesn't say so, but it totally looks like a casual couch game.

Edit: Wow, I just got caught up on this. Looks like a great game, but not sure how I feel about buying it now.

jshackles

Client update

Steam said:
We have just updated the beta with the following changes:

In-Home Streaming
  • Added capture resolution and FPS to the beta overlay message
  • Fixed crash at startup streaming to Surface Pro with old video drivers
  • Added a super low resolution 480p streaming option
Big Picture
  • Fixed one of the settings buttons crashing Steam for SteamOS users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom