• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you saw the light OP.
No one has fallen for grabbing that turd of a game yet lol

The Giant Bomb quick look was so funny.

Seriously though, I see games being traded for TF2/DOTA2 keys on Reddit, and it seems like you can get games for a lot cheaper than they're selling on the store. Has anyone else gone down that route to buy games?

I guess it explains why everyone loves keys so much.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: Is it worth investing some of that in keys? I see Starbound offered for 4.5 keys on Reddit etc.

And apparently that works out at around £6.39 (compared to £11.99!)

Key prices tend to fluctuate here and there, so outside of sale periods (where they tend to stay at a reduced price for the duration of the sale period) you're better off just buying them when necessary.

Key prices tend to fluctuate here and there, so outside of sale periods (where they tend to stay at a reduced price for the duration of the sale period) you're better off just buying them when necessary.

Ah okay, yeah that makes sense.

I'll have a look and see what's going around.

Arthea

As expected, I decided to play Civ5 (BNW) for 2 hours, it was closer to 5 hours when I looked at the watch, finally. Damn you Civ, damn you!
nah, I love it, I love losing time and thinking may be time paradoxes are real, after all. :)

As expected, I decided to play Civ5 (BNW) for 2 hours, it was closer to 5 hours when I looked at the watch, finally. Damn you Civ, damn you!
nah, I love it, I love losing time and thinking may be time paradoxes are real, after all. :)

They should put a warning when you start Civ. "The notion of time spent in game does not match the time in real life".

JaseC

So I bought myself a copy of Sentinel 3 as well as three spares. You can pull the game now, Valve. ;)

I can't get into Civilization, and I've tried.

Maybe I'm just not a big fan of strategy games, but I feel too detracted from the action, almost like I have very little control and it's just a case of a lot of clicking and waiting.

Arthea

They should put a warning when you start Civ. "The notion of time spent in game does not match the time in real life".

They totally should!

I can't get into Civilization, and I've tried.

Maybe I'm just not a big fan of strategy games, but I feel too detracted from the action, almost like I have very little control and it's just a case of a lot of clicking and waiting.

It's like that every Civ game starts, you get too much action later on and very little at start. try to play on smaller maps to get to action sooner, also adjust ingame time, there is such option, to flow faster.

So I bought myself a copy of Sentinel 3 as well as three spares. You can pull the game now, Valve. ;)

What if it won't be pulled?
sorry, I had to (><)

edited one more time:
wait Sentinel 3? Why that one would be pulled out? I thought you were talking about that paper platformer of yesterday.

JaseC

What if it won't be pulled?
sorry, I had to (><)

Well, even if it is a sanctioned release, with Origin8 self-publishing on other services it would only be a matter of time before SF's contract expires and the game is pulled while the rights revert back to the former, affording me a brief window. Ideally, though, the game will be yanked very soon and I can trade a copy for Paper Monsters and sell the other two for 25+ keys.

wait Sentinel 3? Why that one would be pulled out? I thought you were talking about that paper platformer of yesterday.

It's looking like SF published the game without permission also:

Speaking of Scammers First: they're also listed as the publishers of that Sentinel 3 game which also came out yesterday. I wonder if the devs are even aware it's on Steam. There's no mention of it on their site, and they (Origin8) are listed as the publishers of the GamersGate and Shinyloot versions.

...I might tweet at them.
Hmm, well, it and Paper Monsters were added to the registry back-to-back, so it's not looking good. Maybe I'll pick up a few spares -- if I get lucky and the game is pulled I may be able to get my mittens on Paper Monsters after all.

Edit: Origin8 submitted it to Greenlight in August 2012... and it hasn't been greenlit.

Arthea

Well, even if it is a sanctioned release, with Origin8 self-publishing on other services it would only be a matter of time before SF's contract expires and the game is pulled while the rights revert back to the former, affording me a brief window. Ideally, though, the game will be yanked very soon and I can trade a copy for Paper Monsters and sell the other two for 25+ keys.

I'm so confused now (><)

Jase is like the Wolf of Steam Street.

Totally!

It's looking like SF published the game without permission, too:

They totally should!

It's like that every Civ game starts, you get too much action later on and very little at start. try to play on smaller maps to get to action sooner, also adjust ingame time, there is such option, to flow faster.

I'll give it another go (Civ 4).

JaseC

steamscalpingkki4y.jpg

It was recently pointed out to me that the Child's Play DLC is still being sold on Amazon, though, so I'll probably get a refund on those eventually. It'd be no great loss as I wasn't expecting to sell them for much of a profit.

and Civ4, no less, which I think is a little better game than Civ5. May be it's really not your thing?
You can't adjust flow of time in that one, though.

Yeah, I got it mega cheap a few years back and have only put around 2 hours into it since then.

No loss if I don't, but it'd be nice for it to finally 'click'.

Edit: Holy shit at above. Where do you end up selling them to find that big a demand?

Arthea

Yeah, I got it mega cheap a few years back and have only put around 2 hours into it since then.

No loss if I don't, but it'd be nice for it to finally 'click'.

Lemme ask you one more thing, you bought vanilla or with expansions? Because Civs usually play better with expansions, and 4 is no exception.

I think I should start playing some Civ V too. Anything to help pass the 2 days until LEGO movie premiere.

You most likely will need help remembering anything about Lego (lol? what movie?) 2 days and things like that after you start playing.

JaseC

Edit: Holy shit at above. Where do you end up selling them to find that big a demand?

I kept an eye on Steam Trades and TF2 Outpost and waited for offers to rise up to 25 keys. It only took about a week and I sold all three within hours. I used the money to buy a bunch of games that hadn't been on sale in yonks, namely:

- Darkest of Days
- Last Day of Work Complete Pack
- Mervo and the Grooveriders
- Planet Busters
- QuantZ
- Raycatcher
- Rhythm Zone + DLC
- Tunnel Rats: 1968
- Virtual Families

I think I should start playing some Civ V too. Anything to help pass the 2 days until LEGO movie premiere.

Speaking of, the game should show up on the store today.

Edit: Oh, wait, the release date (in NA) is the 7th, not the 4th.

Nabs

Damnit, JaseC.

Hitman: Absolution and F1 2013 are both getting Mac ports. Both will be Steamplay.

Dark Souls 2 blackout time. Stay safe out there in spoiler-land.

Lemme ask you one more thing, you bought vanilla or with expansions? Because Civs usually play better with expansions, and 4 is no exception.

You most likely will need help remembering anything about Lego (lol? what movie?) 2 days and things like that after you start playing.

Just vanilla from when it was on sale :[

I'm incredibly tempted to get Starbound for cheap now, damn it - looks so good.

steamscalpingkki4y.jpg

It was recently pointed out to me that the Child's Play DLC is still being sold on Amazon, though, so I'll probably get a refund on those eventually. It'd be no great loss as I wasn't expecting to sell them for much of a profit.

Jesus H. Christ, it's like in the movie.

Dr Dogg

Well I feel like a silly billy. Someone on my Friends List just came online and then fired up 'Left4Dead 3 - beta'. This prompted me to jump around the office squeaking "it's coming, it's coming, it's coming". When I went to show one of the chaps at work they said 'Didn't you notice it said "In non Steam game"'. :(

Dark Souls 2 blackout time. Stay safe out there in spoiler-land.

It's going to be a long and stressful wait for a confirmed release date. Must... Not... Click... On... Impressions.... Thread.

Coreda

People are crazy for a lot of things in Valve's games. Knives in CS:GO can go for hundreds, and they're all cosmetic swaps of the stock knife.

What happened to all the great texture artists and modellers from CS:S I used to see on other sites? I recently looked through Steam's CS:GO items market and it seems like 90% are merely colorful overlays on the stock weapons.

Wow should not have looked at that.
Don't think I can even enjoy the game now.

I put the warning, also another piece of exclusive information I was able to get is
there are undeads!

I'll stop here before From send their lawyers because I.m leaking confidential info.

steamscalpingkki4y.jpg

motherofgod.

Have you been burned by trying to scalp something that hasn't worked out?

I'll survive.

One thing is for sure, I'm never going to take my opportunities to play a video game for granted anymore.

True story. I get about an hour a day if i'm lucky, makes you prioritize your backlog for sure.

Can you get a refund on those given everything went to charity?

man i'm getting the ugly shadows in enslaved too

Yup, same here. They're generally only noticable in cutscenes, but they're, really *really* noticable. Kind of immersion-breaking. And it's not an AMD thing; i'm on Nvidia.

I wonder if they just didn't care that people would play at 1080p & 60fps, and maybe the resolution is to blame? The motion blur that defaults to "on", for example, looks like *garbage* when you're playing at 60fps and high rez.

Dolor

This will be very useful since every game is Early Access now.

I like this feature. Steam Workshop support is the one thing (other than cards) that will get me to go back and restart a game. It'll be nice to know when things like that are added.

I feel like I was trolled bad, by steam
I look at the store and see word Homeworld and jump to conclusions at once!
And it's this
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275350/

I did the same thing. Homeworld is coming though including the new one.

Grab it before its gone like the dinosaurs....

....Only to be brought back as robots that is

TF4SuperBowlTrailer.gif

Is this a real movie? Is it terrible that I find it awesome in a dumb ironic kind of way?

Its never worth it. Don't pre-order video games. NEVER pre-order video games. Please.

I only pre-order games as a thanks to the developer for their awesome previous games because I bought them for cheap and felt that I got more value than I paid (Mount & Blade, X3, and Witcher 2 are all good examples). That way, if I like the game, it's just a bonus, but it's more for me to make sure to accurately reward makers of awesome games.

Sentinel 3 is one of my favorite tower defense games by the way. No idea how good the PC port is, but I'd certainly recommend at least wish listing it for a sale.

Good to know. Wishlisted.

Foils aren't worth anything if you can never fucking get rid of them until the idiots have ridden them down all the way to 10 cents, tho.

Weird. All the foils I have ever bought have been pretty expensive. I think the Civ 5 ones were pretty cheap and maybe the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion ones, but there were 13 of those.

Planetside 2 foils are still regularly over $2. The Rome foils were regularly over $1 when I bought them.

JaseC

motherofgod.

Have you been burned by trying to scalp something that hasn't worked out?

Not thus far, but I jumped down this rabbit hole just a few months ago. I was initially hesitant to pick up a few spares of the Winter Sale items, however supply was (and still is) very finite so with any luck I should be able to make a tidy profit on them within the next 12 months. The three Knights Founders Pack probably stand out like a sore thumb as Epic Loot isn't a licensed game and it's developed/published by Ubi, but it'll be F2P once it leaves Early Access so the current packs will be the only way to add the game to one's account, plus I didn't actually buy them per se -- they were included as part of the High Roller's Pack, which I would have bought regardless since I'm a sucker for DDEs.

I'll also add that Valve obliges refund requests on unused gifts, so there's essentially no risk attached to spares you bought yourself -- at worst you'll just make back what you spent.

Can you get a refund on those given everything went to charity?

That's an interesting question, but I would assume so. An unused gift is an unused gift.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Steam almost always asks me to participate in the impromptu survey when I'm in my non-gaming computer, I wish it had a "later" option or something for me to resume on my home desktop so it could collect the appropriate hardware data.

Not thus far, but I jumped down this rabbit hole just a few months ago. I was initially hesitant to pick up a few spares of the Winter Sale items, however supply was (and still is) very finite so with any luck I should be able to make a tidy profit on them within the next 12 months. The three Knights Founders Pack probably stand out like a sore thumb as Epic Loot isn't a licensed game and it's developed/published by Ubi, but it'll be F2P once it leaves Early Access so the current packs will be the only way to add the game to one's account, plus I didn't actually buy them per se -- they were included as part of the High Roller's Pack, which I would have bought regardless since I'm a sucker for DDEs.

I'll also add that Valve obliges refund requests on unused gifts, so there's essentially no risk attached to spares you bought yourself -- at worst you'll just make back what you spent.

Oh god that sounds too easy haha.

Is anyone in this thread excited for Thief? I've seen a lot of negativity surrounding it in a lot of places, but I'm guessing that's not because they think the game looks bad, rather they think that it shouldn't have the Thief name.

JaseC

Is this a real movie? Is it terrible that I find it awesome in a dumb ironic kind of way?

It's the TV Spot from the new Mark Wahlberg Transformers movie. I'm assuming it will be terrible with a rare few good moments. The original was the only decent one in my opinion.

Anteater

Yup, same here. They're generally only noticable in cutscenes, but they're, really *really* noticable. Kind of immersion-breaking. And it's not an AMD thing; i'm on Nvidia.

I wonder if they just didn't care that people would play at 1080p & 60fps, and maybe the resolution is to blame? The motion blur that defaults to "on", for example, looks like *garbage* when you're playing at 60fps and high rez.

Yea I'm not sure what it might be, I tried editing the ini and tried resetting it too but couldn't fix them, only fix is to disable dynamic shadowing which I think is what the "quality" setting is for in the options, setting it to low would disable the shadows, high would enable it.

Yeah the motion blur is horrible, had to turn it off, and I usually like them too :lol

Tizoc

It's fucking Transformers, it's gonna be so terrible it's awesome.

Wait a new trailer is out?

OK The Cave is't crashing on me anymore, and runs fine but it doesn't seem to go up to 60 FPS, seems to be at around 50 FPS, anyone know how to get it to 60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom