• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love a good collectathon. ;) I haven't pre-purchased the DDE just yet but I intend to.

Yeah, I reckon I'll get the DDE as well, it helps that the Australian price is nice.

If they can make something up to the same quality as Deus Ex: Human Revolution I will be really happy.

Arthea

It's fucking Transformers, it's gonna be so terrible it's awesome.

I gonna agree so much, you gonna feel it through the screen!
finally! someone that can appreciate total mess and awesome terribleness that are Transformers!

I did the same thing. Homeworld is coming though including the new one.

I'm somewhat concerned still, especially about new one. I have my retail games, but having them on steam would be nice.

Knurek

Hopefully going to wrap BioShock today, I need a good TPP game to cleanse the palate.

Which would you recommend? Darksiders, DmC, Tomb Raider 2013, Enslaved or Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands?

Arthea

Is anyone in this thread excited for Thief? I've seen a lot of negativity surrounding it in a lot of places, but I'm guessing that's not because they think the game looks bad, rather they think that it shouldn't have the Thief name.

I'm not sure, I find really hard to be excited almost about anything gaming related these days. Even more about new games in old franchises.
There are exceptions though. Lemme tell you about Trails in the sky
don't roll your eyes, guys, I'm preparing you for all the fuss I will make about these games when they'll hit steam
I would say I'm excited about them as a kid, if I would remember how I used to be excited as a kid. Not only that, I vaguely remember not being an excitable kid.
The story starts with my not particularly good eyesight, I really hate playing games on handhelds, it's painful, uncomfortable and takes enjoyment out of games, and do I enjoy LoH, oh yes, I do. So I was ecstatic when PS3 HD version of Trails was announced, only for it to never be translated and hit the west. Oh despair, and then when I lost all hope, Xseed announced they will release both Trails games on steam! What a glorious day, what a painful wait. It was like emotional rollercoaster. But we are finally getting there, closer and closer to release of a game (later another one) that I was excited for years.
I really hope you all are as excited, or will be ;)

The only good Transformers movie came out in 1986.

They don't need to be good, we just need more transformers with more transforming, you know it's true. (><)

Dolor

I'm somewhat concerned still, especially about new one. I have my retail games, but having them on steam would be nice.

The new one to me seemed like it was on a good path, but I haven't seen anything on it for quite some time.

Which would you recommend? Darksiders, DmC, Tomb Raider 2013 or Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands?

I would recommend either of these two.

Anteater

Hopefully going to wrap BioShock today, I need a good TPP game to cleanse the palate.

Which would you recommend? Darksiders, DmC, Tomb Raider 2013 or Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands?

DmC, has pretty decent combat and is short/replayable and fun. (I've never played PoP though)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Darksiders 1 is held in higher regard than its sequel and is far less of a slog while Tomb Raider 2013 isn't an entirely bad way to kill several hours if you're at all fond of Uncharted's "cinematic" style. The other two I haven't played.

KarmaCow

Is there some way to fix the weird stuttering and frame rate drops in Forgotten Sands? I wanted to play that but it was giving me headaches.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Which would you recommend? Darksiders, DmC, Tomb Raider 2013, Enslaved or Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands?

Honestly any of those are solid picks. POP Forgotten has some terrific platforming and gets ignored way too much.

Derrick01

Banned
Is anyone in this thread excited for Thief? I've seen a lot of negativity surrounding it in a lot of places, but I'm guessing that's not because they think the game looks bad, rather they think that it shouldn't have the Thief name.

No the game looks quite bad for a stealth game. No jumping, really small level design, no rope arrows, and the game punishes you with failure if you go off the linear path at times. That's a whole new level of sacrilege and streamlining.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I love a good collectathon. ;)
Me too. Love almost everything i've seen from it so far. Never played the original games, though. Maybe some day.

I rarely pre-order a game, but this is an exception. Getting it for ten bucks on ebay might have had something to do with it as well. :p

Knurek

Oh, who am I kidding, I'll probably just start AssCreed: Rev.

I'm turning into JaseC, aren't I? :)

Nevertheless, thanks for opinions, guys...

Arthea

I haven't started TR yet, not eager too, because of QTE. PoP didn't impressed me too, but I played too little.
So of those I've played somewhat more, I would say that most enjoyable is DmC, closely followed by Darksiders and not so close by Enslaved.
My opinion might change after I finish all of them, if that will ever happen, now when I'm back to Civ, it seems unlikely.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Managed to trade my TF2 weapon for 9 keys, bought another and then traded those for South Park. Basically managed to get the game for £1.40. I love Steam.

Kind of makes me want to buy keys to pay for games all the time now, is it worth it generally? Outside of sales, I mean.

Edit: For example, The Wolf Among Us is £18.99 on Steam at the moment, and people are trading it for 7 keys, which is around £9.80ish. Seems like a bargain.

Turfster

Weird. All the foils I have ever bought have been pretty expensive. I think the Civ 5 ones were pretty cheap and maybe the Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion ones, but there were 13 of those.

Planetside 2 foils are still regularly over $2. The Rome foils were regularly over $1 when I bought them.

I mostly seem to get foils for obscure indie games that go incredibly long times without a single sale.
For example, I've currently got foils for 99 spirits and war of the human tanks up. While they haven't dropped below 1€ quite yet, they sell so very rarely that in the 15 days it takes for one to sell, new ones keep getting added and the price keeps dropping.

Managed to trade my TF2 weapon for 9 keys, bought another and then traded those for South Park. Basically managed to get the game for £1.40. I love Steam.

Kind of makes me want to buy keys to pay for games all the time now, is it worth it generally? Outside of sales, I mean.

Edit: For example, The Wolf Among Us is £18.99 on Steam at the moment, and people are trading it for 7 keys, which is around £9.80ish. Seems like a bargain.

Yes it is worth it unless the game is region locked in russia, 90% of the time the russian price will be 30-50% off the price in euroland, during sales its insane for example Kingdom of Amalor reckoning Collection was &#8364;12 here it cost me &#8364;5 :)

For Example on the kinds of deals available atm, these can be found on steamtrades or tf2outpost
Banner Saga 4 Pack : 20 Keys
Starbound : 3 Keys
Rust : 6 Keys
South Park : 10 Keys

Hasney

Tomb Raider > Darksiders > POP: FS >>>>> Ninja Theory.

Chronoja

Not thus far, but I jumped down this rabbit hole just a few months ago. I was initially hesitant to pick up a few spares of the Winter Sale items, however supply was (and still is) very finite so with any luck I should be able to make a tidy profit on them within the next 12 months. The three Knights Founders Pack probably stand out like a sore thumb as Epic Loot isn't a licensed game and it's developed/published by Ubi, but it'll be F2P once it leaves Early Access so the current packs will be the only way to add the game to one's account, plus I didn't actually buy them per se -- they were included as part of the High Roller's Pack, which I would have bought regardless since I'm a sucker for DDEs.

I'll also add that Valve obliges refund requests on unused gifts, so there's essentially no risk attached to spares you bought yourself -- at worst you'll just make back what you spent.

That's an interesting question, but I would assume so. An unused gift is an unused gift.

About the Quest for epic loot. Is that a proper game count +1 or is it the same as simply tethering a f2p game?

found this on reddit - guys, its legit, see the proof stamp?
G0yS01p.png

Nice find! I just got a free game, oddly I can't log in my account to play it and my profile is set to private now.

JaseC

About the Quest for epic loot. Is that a proper game count +1 or is it the same as simply tethering a f2p game?

A proper +1.

I don't see you with a Saoirse Ronan Avatar yet.

He was one of my moustached twins for a while!

I thought non of f2p games add to game count. Am I wrong?
MQFEL isn't f2p, though.

They don't but only because none of them use the free licence system so they're essentially the same as demos -- having a sub with an F2P game included gets around this. Epic Loot isn't F2P currently but it will be once it leaves Early Access.

I gonna agree so much, you gonna feel it through the screen!
finally! someone that can appreciate total mess and awesome terribleness that are Transformers!

When I'm going to a Transformers flick, I'm not expecting deep, thought-provoking dialogues, allegories for the contemporary state of society, or even a good movie.

I'm expecting robots, explosions, wise-cracking and a bombastic Steve Jablonsky score. And I'm not ashamed of that.

Arthea

When I'm going to a Transformers flick, I'm not expecting deep, thought-provoking dialogues, allegories for the contemporary state of society, or even a good movie.

I'm expecting robots, explosions, wise-cracking and a bombastic Steve Jablonsky score. And I'm not ashamed of that.

you get it! I get it!
most don't (><)

Dolor

I mostly seem to get foils for obscure indie games that go incredibly long times without a single sale.
For example, I've currently got foils for 99 spirits and war of the human tanks up. While they haven't dropped below 1€ quite yet, they sell so very rarely that in the 15 days it takes for one to sell, new ones keep getting added and the price keeps dropping.

Yeah, I think the price of the cards is related to the popularity of the game. Better games sell at higher prices - plus f2p titles are usually inflated even more because of the payment requirement.

Oh, who am I kidding, I'll probably just start AssCreed: Rev.

I'm turning into JaseC, aren't I? :)

Nevertheless, thanks for opinions, guys...

I just finished that game myself. Here are some suggestions:

-Don't do any of the Desmond shit. It's pretty terrible. If you're curious, do the first one. You'll no longer be curious.
-You can avoid the tower defense stuff that people moan about by bribing heralds and killing specific targets that sometimes appear when you are on a high-ish alert status. I only did the tower defense stuff once and that was for the tutorial.
-Dont' expect much in the way of progress as far as the overall asscreed story goes. Nothing really happens in the game that's of consequence.

It's a fun 15-20 hour romp but it will leave you wanting a full-featured Asscreed game. Approach it like it was an expansion pack and you'll have a good time, though.

Derrick01

Banned
So when is Dead State's early access supposed to go up? I'm looking forward to impressions, although if anything will get me to break my no early access rule it will be this game.

JaseC

I just finished that game myself. Here are some suggestions:

-Don't do any of the Desmond shit. It's pretty terrible. If you're curious, do the first one. You'll no longer be curious.
-You can avoid the tower defense stuff that people moan about by bribing heralds and killing specific targets that sometimes appear when you are on a high-ish alert status. I only did the tower defense stuff once and that was for the tutorial.
-Dont' expect much in the way of progress as far as the overall asscreed story goes. Nothing really happens in the game that's of consequence.

It's a fun 15-20 hour romp but it will leave you wanting a full-featured Asscreed game. Approach it like it was an expansion pack and you'll have a good time, though.

Yeah, even I didn't bother with the Desmond sequences outside of the moments where the game thrusts them upon you.

Edit: Funnily enough, Darksiders just got a patch.

nexen

Splinter Cell Blacklist is amazing.
The game is an awesome moment generator. They really managed to recapture the magic.

I just wish more missions took place at night or they gave me more appropriate camo. Feels kind of silly spidering around in a full black stealth suit in the middle of the day.

Derrick01

Banned

I don't pay much attention to their predicted dates. Much like Obsidian games they're always wrong :p

The game is an awesome moment generator. They really managed to recapture the magic.

I just wish more missions took place at night or they gave me more appropriate camo. Feels kind of silly spidering around in a full black stealth suit in the middle of the day.

We're having opposite impressions of that game. I'm finding it to basically be splinter cell conviction with slightly more open (and very short) levels. It's way too easy, with the gear I have now I'm walking around with 8 gadgets equipped and a crossbow that has 15 noise making, shock, EMP and sleeping gas arrows EACH. In typical Ubisoft fashion they've made it borderline impossible to fail the more you unlock.

Aren't you the poster who hates indie games?

Indie games that actually have a shred of ambition, talent and production behind them? Nah I like those.

Tizoc

Hmm depends, if ou want to save the best for last, start with TR 2013, Enslaved or DmC.
If you want a game that you want to enjoy playing I'd recommend Darksiders or Forgotten Sands.
FS is close to the original 3D PoP games and has a good amount of platforming in it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
We're having opposite impressions of that game. I'm finding it to basically be splinter cell conviction with slightly more open (and very short) levels. It's way too easy, with the gear I have now I'm walking around with 8 gadgets equipped and a crossbow that has 15 noise making, shock, EMP and sleeping gas arrows EACH. In typical Ubisoft fashion they've made it borderline impossible to fail the more you unlock.

You could always impose restrictions on yourself.

Derrick01

Banned
You could always impose restrictions on yourself.

If I start getting paid to design games then I will, I shouldn't have to impose 25 restrictions on myself just to try to get any enjoyment out of a poorly designed game. As it is I've already switched back to the stun gun and I barely use gadgets in most missions, there's just not enough enemies to really force me to use any. This game was designed to be like the media we saw where he's sliding over cover headshotting enemies.

nexen

I'm actually ignoring the gadgets for the most part. I've used maybe two sticky noisemakers on purpose. I accidentally use them about once per mission because my brain keeps switching around the shoulder buttons. I also avoid using the takedown, as I think the mechanic is stupid and gamey. I only use it as a last resort.
The hardest missions are Grim's. Going through them without alerting anyone is damned challenging for me.

Grim's lighthouse mission (the first one?) was so much fun.

Grief.exe

I wish Pandora Tomorrow and the definitive version of Double Agent were on Steam. I feel like playing more Splinter Cell, but, other than Chaos Theory, the next best games in the series aren't even available.

nexen

I wish Pandora Tomorrow and the definitive version of Double Agent were on Steam. I feel like playing more Splinter Cell, but, other than Chaos Theory, the next best games in the series aren't even available.

I hated Conviction. I kept trying to like it, but was such a pale shadow of even Double Agent that I couldn't bring myself to keep playing.

Blacklist I'm having extreme difficulty tearing myself away from.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Did people who played 50+ hours of Kingdoms of Amalur enter a coma for a couple days while playing the game to rack up that playtime? I don't understand how you can play that much of the game. I did the main quest + all the achievement based quest lines on hard and it took me 24 hours:

I doubt the DLC will add much to that either.

Grief.exe

Did people who played 50+ hours of Kingdoms of Amalur enter a coma for a couple days while playing the game to rack up that playtime? I don't understand how you can play that much of the game. I did the main quest + all the achievement based quest lines on hard and it took me 24 hours:

koa1icjld.png

I doubt the DLC will add much to that either.

Apparently the amount of side-quests are nearly endless, potentially extending the playtime to the hundred hour mark. The majority of those quests are filler though.

Just a question to everyone who's pre-ordering Dark Souls 2 : how do you justify it? I get that DS was fantastic, but after it got Durante'd. The port itself was really freaking bad. Everyone just hoping they learned their lesson and this time it's considerably better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom