• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apparently the amount of side-quests are nearly endless, potentially extending the playtime to the hundred hour mark. The majority of those quests are filler though.

There is literally zero incentive to do quests not tied to the main one or the major questlines. Writing/design/combat/loot/XP rewards are all garbage for them.

Copons

Just a question to everyone who's pre-ordering Dark Souls 2 : how do you justify it? I get that DS was fantastic, but after it got Durante'd. The port itself was really freaking bad. Everyone just hoping they learned their lesson and this time it's considerably better?

Knowing Durante, you'll have it patched before your download is completed. :D

HoosTrax

Did people who played 50+ hours of Kingdoms of Amalur enter a coma for a couple days while playing the game to rack up that playtime? I don't understand how you can play that much of the game. I did the main quest + all the achievement based quest lines on hard and it took me 24 hours:

I doubt the DLC will add much to that either.
I have 75 hours in KoA and never got around to finishing it. If you obsess over crafting, and are neurotic about getting the exact components you want, it can eat up a surprising amount of time.

Edit: it looks like KoA has Steam cloud...I might as well re-download the game and finish it off.

Grief.exe

Just a question to everyone who's pre-ordering Dark Souls 2 : how do you justify it? I get that DS was fantastic, but after it got Durante'd. The port itself was really freaking bad. Everyone just hoping they learned their lesson and this time it's considerably better?

Technically Durante had DSFix available before the official release date even hit. I remember sitting in the thread and watching the clock, right when I could launch the game, he made the fix available.

I doubt they will go the same route with this one. All the information coming out of From and Bandai right now is they are deeply sorry for the state of DS1 and PC gamers we will not be disappointed in the state of the sequel.

Dark Souls is my personal GOTG, I'll be picking up the sequel day one.

I have 75 hours in KoA and never got around to finishing it. If you obsess over crafting, and are neurotic about getting the exact components you want, it can eat up a surprising amount of time.

I love getting addicted to meticulous things like that in RPGs.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There is literally zero incentive to do quests not tied to the main one or the major questlines. Writing/design/combat/loot/XP rewards are all garbage for them.

That hardly changes the fact they're present. The book-collecting side-quest spans the entire game.

Locust

It looks as though SF did the same with Sentinel 3: Homeworld, too:
Hmm, well, it and Paper Monsters were added to the registry back-to-back, so it's not looking good. Maybe I'll pick up a few spares -- if I get lucky and the game is pulled I may be able to get my mittens on Paper Monsters after all.

Edit: Origin8 submitted it to Greenlight in August 2012... and it hasn't been greenlit.

Toddhunter tweeted Origin8 about 10 minutes ago so we'll have confirmation soon enough.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/275350/discussions/0/558747218109717419/
Looks like Sentinel 3 was released with permission.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is Max Payne 3 worth the $4?

Definitely, I really enjoyed the game. Take my opinion with a grain of salt if you will as I never played the original games, but I enjoyed the story, the visual style, the shooting mechanics and had a blast working my way through it. For $4 it's a steal, even if you decide you never want to play it again because of unskippable cut scenes (which didn't bother me). Plus there's multiplayer, right? Is that still going?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Technically Durante had DSFix available before the official release date even hit. I remember sitting in the thread and watching the clock, right when I could launch the game, he made the fix available.

I doubt they will go the same route with this one. All the information coming out of From and Bandai right now is they are deeply sorry for the state of DS1 and PC gamers we will not be disappointed in the state of the sequel.

Not only that, Durante's fix was only possible because the game came out in the first place.

I don't pre-order games compulsively, I only pre-order games I really want to play the moment they come out. If I don't pre-order a game on Steam the moment it's up for pre-order, I'll buy it once it comes out, because I want to play that game... so it doesn't really matter. The fact that there's usually a discount on a pre-order makes that decision even easier.

Dark Souls 2 is a game I want to play the moment it comes out, so the moment it's up for sale, I'll buy it. Metal Gear Rising was a game I wanted to play the moment it came out on PC (and also tell Konami that we want games on the system), so I pre-ordered it. I didn't play it yet, but that's because I was finishing.... Dark Souls!

I understand this "don't buy pre-orders people!" movement, but I AM going to buy the game full price. It doesn't matter if I pre-order it 3 weeks earlier or 2 days after it comes out. When I look at games I'm interested in purchasing, I usually have a set price that I'm willing to pay for that game. Dark Souls 2 is a game I'm going to buy and play at any given price. Simcity was another one of those games - It's just that I got burned on that one. I could get burned on Dark Souls 2 as well, but I want to play it, I want to see it and I want to experience it. As soon as possible.

Not... really?
Unless you just want to be completionist and have the complete trilogy in your Steam library.

I don't really understand that. I think Max Payne 3 is a GREAT game. it depicts Max as a fucked up old dude that has problems with his life, but doesn't know ho to live it any other way.

And it's a great game to boot. It has a nice control and plays pretty well. I never understood the Max Payne 3 hate. I bought it "full price" (it was like 40% cheaper in Brazil at release) and enjoyed every moment of it.

I ended up getting Rogue Legacy for cheap too.

Fuck this game is hard and frustrating, and yet I've just been sitting here for 2 hours dying and playing more. My average playtime with a single character is probably less than a minute!

Caerith

The PC port for Dark Souls wasn't bad. It was solid, it was stable, it wasn't a buggy, broken piece of shit. All Durante did was unlock its potential.

Even if Dark Souls 2 gets the same treatment, which we have every indication it won't, we can trust From to give us something Durante can work with.

Dr Dogg

Swanky Steelbook and I had a shed load of Amazon credit in way of them saying sorry for ballsing up a couple of my orders.

Granted the port untouched is a travesty but Bamco have admitted it was rushed and have promised that it will be up to scratch this time. To me they deserve a second chance but if the port is found to be left wanting again then no end of apologies or free swag will make things right.

I love getting addicted to meticulous things like that in RPGs.

I see no reason not to go with the sequel on PC day one either.
Namco/From seem to be okay with the idea of delaying the PC port until they consider it good enough to release; it's been coming to PC from day 1; it has steamworks instead of GFWL; etc.

I don't understand the hatred of the port for the first one. People begged and begged and begged for FROM to port it. Once the port was greenlit, of course they were going to do the easiest port they could -- they had little to no experience with porting to PC. Of course they went with GFWL as they were probably familiar with the APIs since they had made a 360 version. The core of what matters is present in the port. It's the original game, ported to the PC and it runs at a constant framerate. It has additional content. And the modding community fixed it so that you could adjust your resolution immediately when the port was released (granted, that's not a point to the port, but rather it nullifies one of the negatives people were complaining about).

It wasn't a great port. But it was adequate. And it got the game, and it's sequel on the system.

The PC port for Dark Souls wasn't bad. It was solid, it was stable, it wasn't a buggy, broken piece of shit. All Durante did was unlock its potential.

Even if Dark Souls 2 gets the same treatment, which we have every indication it won't, we can trust From to give us something Durante can work with.

Thank you.

mannerbot

Haven't preordered it but FROM has apologized for the poor Dark Souls port and it's understandable why it was so terrible: FROM had never done a PC port before and was only doing it because of the overwhelming demand from fans, and to make up for technical deficiencies of the port they created additional content (later ported to consoles as DLC) that turned out to be amazing. The lead platform this time around is the PC and while it's a bit annoying that there isn't even a PC release date yet, early impressions give me confidence that the game will be just as good as the first, if not even better. Haven't preordered it but I will be getting it day 1.

Dolor

Is it just me or do games that get released on Steam without cloud support or achievements or trading cards seem like kind of an incomplete product? I know developing games is a lot of work, but I still find it disappointing when those features aren't in there to begin with. I am more forgiving with Workshop support as that gives games a much longer tail and almost makes sense to add after people have experienced the "vanilla" game.

Levyne

Banned
Cloud support, sure, definitely. Achievements, maybe, but I don't really miss them when they're absent. Trading cards, don't really care about.

Is it just me or do games that get released on Steam without cloud support or achievements or trading cards seem like kind of an incomplete product? I know developing games is a lot of work, but I still find it disappointing when those features aren't in there to begin with. I am more forgiving with Workshop support as that gives games a much longer tail and almost makes sense to add after people have experienced the "vanilla" game.

Yeah, I'm disappointed when a game doesn't have Steam Cloud or achievements. Trading cards are disappointing in the fact that I like making a little money back off the games I've bought, so I'm all for getting free things to sell on the marketplace.

But yeah, every game should have Steam cloud and achievements. Especially ports from consoles where achievements/trophies are required (I'm looking at you Klei. Patch Don't Starve).

Side note: While I like that Steam backs up my saves to the cloud automatically, I do not appreciate the lack of an ability to pull or push at will. In that respect, I wish Steam cloud was a little more like PS+ cloud. It would have saved me a bit of a headache when my OCD accidentally caused my MGR:R save file to get deleted.

Interfectum

I'm pretty bummed if the game doesn't have Steam Achievements or Steam Cloud. Don't really care about Steam Trading Cards or Workshop all that much.

Caerith

Cloud support is kinda worthless to me since I only play on one machine; if anything, it's a potential to get my save screwed up.

Trading cards, I could take or leave. I don't use the emoticons, I rarely spend any time looking at my profile background, and I've only leveled up for showcases and to increase my friend limit-- they're just money and hassle.

Achievements, though? I like achievements. I like them better when they're incorporated into the game's UI instead of the overlay.

louiedog

I don't really understand that. I think Max Payne 3 is a GREAT game. it depicts Max as a fucked up old dude that has problems with his life, but doesn't know ho to live it any other way.

And it's a great game to boot. It has a nice control and plays pretty well. I never understood the Max Payne 3 hate. I bought it "full price" (it was like 40% cheaper in Brazil at release) and enjoyed every moment of it.

I agree completely. I really liked the game and I'm someone who was a fan of the original two when they first came out, though I don't hold them up on the super high pedestal that critics of 3 seem to.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Lacking cloud save support is annoying as hell. You have no excuse. It's free for the users to use and it improves their experience.

Knowing Durante, you'll have it patched before your download is completed. :D

I just have a hard time throwing down $60 for an 'unfinished' product. I get that the port was 'shit', but if it wasn't for Durante, I'm not sure we're talking about this. I'm going with the wait-and-see approach...still havn't finished the first.

Haven't preordered it but FROM has apologized for the poor Dark Souls port and it's understandable why it was so terrible: FROM had never done a PC port before and was only doing it because of the overwhelming demand from fans, and to make up for technical deficiencies of the port they created additional content (later ported to consoles as DLC) that turned out to be amazing. The lead platform this time around is the PC and while it's a bit annoying that there isn't even a PC release date yet, early impressions give me confidence that the game will be just as good as the first, if not even better. Haven't preordered it but I will be getting it day 1.

Amazon has the release date

This item will be available on May 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM (US/Pacific)

JaseC

Lacking cloud save support is annoying as hell. You have no excuse. It's free for the users to use and it improves their experience.

I feel that Valve should mandate Steam Cloud support going forward as it's simply a matter of telling Steam what files to back up and where they're located, rather than something that needs to be woven into the game proper (e.g. achievements).

That's a placeholder.

I feel that Valve should mandate Steam Cloud support going forward as it's simply a matter of telling Steam what files to back up and where they're located, rather than something that needs to be woven into the game proper (e.g. achievements).

That's a placeholder.

(1) That'd be fine by me... but again, I want a cloud save manager and the ability to enable/disable/backup to cloud manually. After my MGR:R debacle and having to redownload MGR:R twice in attempts to not have it push my recent fucked up save and get my old save off the cloud, it needs more robust options.

(2) Yeah, but the placeholder is at the end of May, not the end of March, which just goes to back up the FROM statement of "we're aiming for March but haven't set a date" or whatever regarding the PC release.

JaseC

(1) That'd be fine by me... but again, I want a cloud save manager and the ability to enable/disable/backup to cloud manually. After my MGR:R debacle and having to redownload MGR:R twice in attempts to not have it push my recent fucked up save and get my old save off the cloud, it needs more robust options.

Yeah, expanding the client-side features would be most useful.

(2) Yeah, but the placeholder is at the end of May, not the end of March, which just goes to back up the FROM statement of "we're aiming for March but haven't set a date" or whatever regarding the PC release.

The 31st is a Saturday.

Grief.exe

This item will be available on May 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM (US/Pacific)

Its been said, but I might as well reiterate. That release date is bullshit.

I even saw Tony make a comment about it on CAG. They require a date to put the game into their system, and they generally just make something up to cover their asses.

From said 2-3 weeks, might as well go with May just in case of further delay.

I don't blame you at all for looking at that, the real problem is mainstream media outlets are reporting on that as gospel. I can't believe how uninformed journalists are in their own profession.

dreamfall

Damn, I do really want to know more about Dead State.

Although, I wish there was some direct sequel to Vampire: The Masquerade- Bloodlines. So, so good.

JaseC

I don't blame you at all for looking at that, the real problem is mainstream media outlets are reporting on that as gospel. I can't believe how uninformed journalists are in their own profession.

I'd wager most "journalists" are just glorified enthusiasts. On the subject of being uninformed, I'd say the most piss-poor reporting job in recent memory would be this:

How did that end?

It didn't start:

What happened is that Examiner published an article claiming that Page was "reportedly" considering suing... except the article linked to as a source (no nudity but NFSW) doesn't mention this at all.

Yeah, expanding the client-side features would be most useful.

The 31st is a Saturday.

I'm just pointing out that Dark Souls 2 might slip out of the March timeframe for PC release since a hard date hasn't been set yet and apparently Amazon thinks it's better to cover their asses by saying "our placeholder is the end of May".

I even saw Tony make a comment about it on CAG. They require a date to put the game into their system, and they generally just make something up to cover their asses.

2-3 weeks can easily slip. Depends on the quality of the code and how much test they put it through and such. I work in software testing and have watched releases shift out by months or be dropped completely. That won't happen with DS2 -- but if they're testing whatever features/code was added to polish the PC release... there's a possibility they find some major bug and it pushes the schedule out further.

I'm excited for Dark Souls 2 and have been on as much of a media blackout as I can regarding the game... so if it comes down to it, I'd rather wait til May if necessary to get the best possible experience with the game.

My point in quoting though was to agree with you about the media. Games journalism is mostly a joke these days, at least in terms of the mainstream outlets. I was watching some footage of LoS2 to get an idea of how they refined the gameplay in the sequel and watching a well known journalist try to play it was painful. Either he just outright sucks at video games or he's not someone who should be playing/reviewing a character action game. :lol

No, enthusiasts are actually knowledgeable.

Pretty much this.
Example: I don't give a flying eff what IGN says about MGR:R -- but I'll listen to the opinions of people I know (*cough*uraizen*cough*) who play this type of game regularly and know what's really good and bad about it. I'll take another poster's opinion of a game to heart more than a media outlet any day when it comes to gaming (so long as that poster actually knows what he/she is talking about).

Milamber

found this on reddit - guys, its legit, see the proof stamp?
G0yS01p.png

Dude, what's the website? I totally want some free games!

Dr Dogg

I really wish there was an awesome PC Collectors Edition for Dark Souls 2 releasing in America. :(

I quite like the look of the Japanese one with the full sized artbook and cloth map along with a decent box. Makes the German and European ones look a bit naff. Fingers cross Enterbrain/UDON put out a Design Works artbook again in the near future.

The Black Mesa team will be discussing the development of their Half-Life remake in the next issue of Game Informer:

On top of our exclusive Metal Gear Solid V content, the March issue is packed with a host of new features and hands-on previews. An in-depth article explores the history of YouTube’s popular “Let’s Play” shows. The Black Mesa Modification Team shares the challenging development history of its Half-Life remake. Following up on last month’s Top 50 Games of 2013, we reflect on the greatest mobile games from the second half of last year. We also have new previews of Dark Souls II, Dying Light, Elder Scrolls Online, and more.

I wonder if anything interesting could come out from that?

That's a placeholder.

That's a placeholder.

Seems like a placeholder...but that's also my birthday!

oops. My bad.

Pretty much this. Saw everyone was running with it and assumed it was good. Sorry guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom