• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's just during the beginning. They will probably allow you to download the game for free later. They even say it's to control server usage.

Yep. It's a free to play game that will stop being free to play for an unspecified amount of time.

Not sure if that's a good idea.

I've heard that to be in Early Access, you can't also be free. I don't have any idea why that's the case, but every early access free to play game does require a purchase on Steam. Once they are out of Early Access, they go free. It's so damn weird and backwards.

Not sure why they need to be in early access either. The game has been off Steam for years so they could have waited longer for integration if they thought it's incomplete. Or they could have launched as a proper free to play game without going into early access.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So much for being F2P.

I've heard that to be in Early Access, you can't also be free. I don't have any idea why that's the case, but every early access free to play game does require a purchase on Steam. Once they are out of Early Access, they go free. It's so damn weird and backwards. Especially since most free to play games are expected to have some sort of ongoing development, and the line between beta and release is blurred. Is Loadout really more "done" than Hawken in any way that matters to the player?

edit:

Not sure why they need to be in early access either. The game has been off Steam for years so they could have waited longer for integration if they thought it's incomplete. Or they could have launched as a proper free to play game without going into early access.

It's all crazy. Hawken has been accepting money forever. I have access on Steam because I signed up in December 2012, and they were already taking cash back then. But a year and a half later it's in beta. I guess being a new free to play game on Steam must get huge traffic, I assume the only reason they are charging is so they can make sure everything works with at least the current load before opening the flood gates.

rtcn63

Watching The Thick of It. "It's really self-defeating if I have to explain abbreviations to you, FFS." We were talking about this earlier, right? Or was that Castlevania. I thought SoTN was a bit overrated, mostly because the "second" castle was terrible to maneuver.

Turfster

Watching The Thick of It. "It's really self-defeating if I have to explain abbreviations to you, FFS." We were talking about this earlier, right? Or was that Castlevania. I thought SoTN was a bit overrated, mostly because the "second" castle was terrible to maneuver.

Both, altho the abbreviation stuff is like, 12? hours ago now I think.

Just 100% Thomas Was Alone.
Not a bad experience, but I'm glad I didn't pay a lot for it.
Those levels where James is introduced threw me for a loop, 5.2 in particular.
Overall, not a difficult 100% either... took 3 hours according to Steam.

Next!!

So I'm guessing you'll actually have a reason to play it now?

Man, you change your avatar more than TMK these days.
Go back to your "3DS World". :p

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sid Meier's Pirates -- MB-C782477F119012B7 - Taken by The-Bean

Grabbed Risk of Rain. Balls hard but heaps of fun. I made it to the second level for the first time. Man, it really is dependent on what gear you get.

How important items are depends on who you are playing as. My advice would be to look at the character unlock requirements and try to get some of those as soon as possible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anno 1404: Venice about 7 hours ago

:eek:

about 7 hours ago Added GameManualURL – http://store.steampowered.com/manual/33350/
about 7 hours ago Added metacritic_name – Anno 1404: Venice

Aw.

Did the steam registry have a relaunch of Flight and a GFWL-free version of Age of Empires Online?

MS removed the free game flag from MS Flight, which broke the game, and it also added the community stats flag to AoE Online, which is useless without Steamworks integration. Ostensibly this suggests that MS Flight will return as a paid game and AoE Online will be ditching GFWL for Steamworks, but I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet.

Wondering if I should buy Decent 1 on Steam for 3.49 or get Descent 1 and 2 on GoG for 9.99.

Not sure if Steam will get Descent 2.

It will. The logo for Descent used in the community activity feed is actually the Descent 2 logo.

Edit: Valve added a DLCAvailableOnStore flag to, well, DLC. I wonder if it's relaxing the whole "DLC for your game must be available on the store" thing.

Uraizen

Banned
Does anybody know what the MSRP of Dark Souls 2 on PC is supposed to be? I remember seeing it at $60 on amazon a few months back, but now it's only $50.
What I'm trying to say here is it might not be a bad idea to lock in the pre-order price until we have something concrete.

Corpekata

Banned
Does anybody know what the MSRP of Dark Souls 2 on PC is supposed to be? I remember seeing it at $60 on amazon a few months back, but now it's only $50.
What I'm trying to say here is it might not be a bad idea to lock in the pre-order price until we have something concrete.

Amazon doesn't charge until release anyway so no reason to not do it since you can always cancel if it ends up being that price everywhere or cheaper via Ruskies or Greenman.

mannerbot

I noticed that as well, but somehow preordering the Black Armour Edition from amazon.co.uk was under $50 including international shipping.

Sites like ozgameshop have it for $40 and I've seen ~$35 deals here or there. So I'd say that is the going rate.

Uraizen

Banned
Amazon doesn't charge until release anyway so no reason to not do it since you can always cancel if it ends up being that price everywhere or cheaper via Ruskies or Greenman.

Bingo.

That and apparently my $5 off Dark Souls 2 coupon was still active somehow. So others might unknowingly have one, too.

I noticed that as well, but somehow preordering the Black Armour Edition from amazon.co.uk was under $50 including international shipping.

Sites like ozgameshop have it for $40 and I've seen ~$35 deals here or there. So I'd say that is the going rate.

Or not such a good deal, lol.

Miker

Bionic Commando Rearmed so good. That last level, though, holy shit. The old school lives make it one of the hardest games I've played in years.

I also found out that the console versions, but not the PC version, got a patch to make Easy and Normal have unlimited lives, and tweaked the swinging a bit to make it easier (no longer bounce off walls). Now I feel proud of myself for beating it on unpatched Normal.

Really great game with a great OST. I'm gonna move onto Bionic Commando Wifearmed next.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why would you use a keyboard to play a game like LOS2? woudn't it be pretty much unplayable?

Friend of mine plays Dark Souls on m/kb, dude has like 400 hours in it too. He also finished DmC on m/kb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom