• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It would be cool if Valve had a page that ranked games by total time played.

I was about to answer that they do, but then I realized you probably meant as in, total time played over all users, correct? For you personally they do, but for all users... That would be interesting.

Arthea

It would be cool if Valve had a page that ranked games by total time played.
It's kinda there
ibh8ItHpcldXrg.png

edited: that's why I can't understand how DOTA2 is not steamgaf GOTY

I was about to answer that they do, but then I realized you probably meant as in, total time played over all users, correct? For you personally they do, but for all users... That would be interesting.

Yeah, across the entire community. I'd be interested to see what the rankings would be.

Annubis

I'm really glad there wasn't some persistent in-game counter during the time I was playing Quakeworld (which I played extensively for roughly a decade, 1996-2006). I'd be terrified to get a true count of the amount of hours I sunk into that game.

I can understand the feeling.
My WoW "played" on 2 characters was around 2000 hours.
The thing is, I know I played waaaaaaaay more Ragnarok Online back in the days than I ever played WoW.
I'm not sure I want to know how many hours I spent on RO... I'd probably question my entire youth.

Just make sure to raise the walking speed if you feel it's too slow, iirc there's a config file or a mod for that. I enjoyed my time with it and I understand it's supposed to be slow paced, but my experience would have definitely been enhanced if I could walk a little bit faster, and I would have explored much more too.

I'll remember that.

Don't wait, it's fairly short and interesting. I've played it in one sit, what rarely happens.

I'll download it later then, at least finishing a short game still gives that good sensation of cleaning part of your backlog.

Tenrius

I guess I'm just a boring person. All I have in my recommended section are just safe, standard tags like "RPG" or "Sci-Fi" and most of the games there are strangely appropriate. None of that crazy, dashing stuff you guys seem to get.

Divinity: Original Sin will release 25th april.

Just in time for my birthday (it's on 27th). Splendid.

Zeliard

It's still a lot of time with one game! you played other games during that decade too, I hope. ;)

Plenty, especially RPGs and adventure games, and I've also always owned consoles. When people ask me what my favorite game of all-time is I often say it's a tie between Quakeworld and Planescape: Torment.

Quake 1 was unique in that it came around at a time when online multiplayer gaming was just getting started and it coincided with IRC coming to popularity (that's when Quakenet arose). Quake in many ways kickstarted the whole online multiplayer phenomenon, at least for shooters. So it had a skilled and very active core community surrounding it, as if you were into competitive shooters in those early couple years, you were playing Quake.

Counterstrike, Tribes, and UT made a splash later on, but I never bothered to go on to those since I felt (correctly ;)) that Quake was by far the superior game.

Nothing else I've ever played comes close to the amount of time I played Quake, and nothing else ever could. I don't have as much time to focus on multiplayer games these days (nor do I find any of them in the shooter genre nearly as well-designed), and there's no way in general I could spend even a notable fraction of that time with a single-player game.

Dolor

I guess I'm just a boring person. All I have in my recommended section are just safe, standard tags like "RPG" or "Sci-Fi" and most of the games there are strangely appropriate. None of that crazy, dashing stuff you guys seem to get.

Same here. Kind of disappointed, but also not? I would prefer the tags to be something useful for information long term. Now, they seem more useful as comedy.

Turfster

Half this person's entries are complaining that things that are "not visual novels" have the tag visual novel, half this person's entries are complaining that things they think are roguelikes have the tag "not a roguelike". No apparent trace of irony.

Oh, the "sadmaking" worked on so many different levels in my statement ;)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll admit, some of the RPG Maker tags are making me giggle. Things like Pay to Win, Yaoi Creation Tool, or tagging RPG Maker under the tag for RPG Maker developed games.

I have an xbox360 controller for playing PC games but it's HORRIBLE for any game that uses a D-pad instead of the analog stick.
So I was thinking of getting either a PS3 or PS4 controller to use just for those games since the D-pad must be better.

Does anyone have some advice on whether I should get the PS3 or PS4 controller? Like whichever one is easier to get working etc..
also, I thought I read something about the PS4 controllers having faulty triggers but not sure if it's widespread.

Any advice is appreciated!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was looking at the tags in Brazilian Portuguese and they seem to be doing fine, there are some amusing ones but there isn't much (any?) extreme trolling going on. My favorite so far is "Da pra encher de mod e o bagulho fica doido".

Milamber

I have an xbox360 controller for playing PC games but it's HORRIBLE for any game that uses a D-pad instead of the analog stick.
So I was thinking of getting either a PS3 or PS4 controller to use just for those games since the D-pad must be better.

Does anyone have some advice on whether I should get the PS3 or PS4 controller? Like whichever one is easier to get working etc..
also, I thought I read something about the PS4 controllers having faulty triggers but not sure if it's widespread.

Stick with it and wait for the inevitable Xbox One drivers.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to play it and I know what to expect from the game, I just keep postponing it.
I tried it and only lasted 20 minutes. Took a couple of screenshots, and then I uninstalled the game. It may be unfair to give it so little time, but it really did bore me to tears.

I have nothing against this kind of games. I loved To the Moon and enjoyed Gone Home, but for me Dear Esther didn't have an interesting setting, the writing was boring and needlessly complicated, and walking was slow as hell.

I was looking at the tags in Brazilian Portuguese and they seem to be doing fine, there are some amusing ones but there isn't much (any?) extreme trolling going on. My favorite so far is "Da pra encher de mod e o bagulho fica doido".

Lol was that tag for Skyrim?

I tried it and only lasted 20 minutes. Took a couple of screenshots, and then I uninstalled the game. It may be unfair to give it so little time, but it really did bore me to tears.

I have nothing against this kind of games. I loved To the Moon and enjoyed Gone Home, but for me Dear Esther didn't have an interesting setting, the writing was boring and needlessly complicated, and walking was slow as hell.

So I guess it really needs to edit the walking speed.

Annubis

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59385385&postcount=102

Just in time for my birthday (it's on 27th). Splendid.

Same here. Kind of disappointed, but also not? I would prefer the tags to be something useful for information long term. Now, they seem more useful as comedy.

The recommended tags for me are Indie, Strategy, Grand Strategy, Medieval and Historic. I blame CK II.

Skyrim is still weirdly absent from it, haha.

lETWNlp.png

Hahahahaha.

Zeliard

The most popular tags for Gone Home are, er, certainly something. Smack dab on the store page too.

Unlike many of the others I don't know if those stand much of a chance of changing, either, unless Valve intervenes.

Annubis

Steam is recommending me the Friendly Fire tag ?
Wait wha ??

I don't even have a single multiplayer game with friendly fire =/
Maybe their telling me I should learn to be a jerk?

The most popular tags for Gone Home are, er, certainly something. Smack dab on the storefront too.

Unlike many of the others I don't know if those stand much of a chance of changing, either, unless Valve intervenes.

yad yada yada....

...DayZ as a 'walking simulator'?? Nope. Maybe a 'psychopathic fetish simulator'

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam is recommending me the Friendly Fire tag ?
Wait wha ??

I don't even have a single multiplayer game with friendly fire =/
Maybe their telling me I should learn to be a jerk?

Tag recommendations are based on your recent game activity.

These are common tags on games you've recently played on Steam.

louiedog

The most popular tags for Gone Home are, er, certainly something. Smack dab on the storefront too.

Gone Home's reviews are mostly negative in the same way. I don't know what people thought they were buying.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Not sure if it was posted yet but there is a new "Lazy Guys Bundle"
  • Beep (Steam, Desura)
  • Hero of the Kingdom (Steam)
  • Foreign Legion: Bucket of Blood (Steam)
  • Orborun (Greenlight, Desura)
  • Stonerid (Greenlight, Desura)
  • Inside the Gear (Greenlight, Desura)
  • Snake Blocks (Greenlight, Desura)
  • Astro Emporia (Greenlight, Desura)
All 8 games for $3.99

Zeliard

I like how my "recommended for you" section is filled entirely with games that are already on my wishlist.

Very useful, Steam. Thanks for bringing these titles to my attention.

Zeliard

That's how it has always been.

They've added custom tags. They recommend tags to you based on recently played games. Each tag is tied to a specific set of games.

Might be time to make the Recommended by Steam page vaguely useful and combine the two? Being pointed towards games that you've already told the system you want isn't very helpful.

Myshkin

Sober

I wouldn't worry too much about it, because people who are actually going to buy Gone Home probably aren't going to swayed too much by the tags in the same way someone who buys Call of Duty every year doesn't give a shit if you tag it as "the shittiest game ever".

It's a bit scary there is that really vocal and vindictive minority that will go around tagging visual novels or adventure games as non-games though, it's just ultimately depressing I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom