• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, because people who are actually going to buy Gone Home probably aren't going to swayed too much by the tags in the same way someone who buys Call of Duty every year doesn't give a shit if you tag it as "the shittiest game ever".

It's a bit scary there is that really vocal and vindictive minority that will go around tagging visual novels or adventure games as non-games though, it's just ultimately depressing I think.

They're non games because they don't have hours of AAA budget cut scenes, with real actor voice overs of a Oscar worthy script written by a Hollywood script writer.

:/

Thorgal

I like how my "recommended for you" section is filled entirely with games that are already on my wishlist.

Very useful, Steam. Thanks for bringing these titles to my attention.

It is valve's way of saying : Buy them , you know you want to !

DO IT ! DO IT ! DO IT ! DO IT ! DO IT !

Caerith

Playing Cherry Tree High Comedy Club right now. Dusk Golem was spot on about it basically just being Persona Social Links the game. Only thing throwing me off are these "skills". I know you can learn more about a certain subject to better talk about it, but it seems to me that just brute forcing your way with regular dialog works just as well. Sure i'm missing something or am about to regret the way i'm playing in awhile but we'll see.

This response is a bit late, but what really threw me with Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is its balancing compared to Persona. In Persona 3/4, you can max all social links in one run if you really try to-- it takes careful planning, but it's totally possible. In Cherry Tree, it's impossible to get everyone in one run, but absurdly easy to get the bare minimum for the good ending and then pick up the rest in NG+ for the best ending (and still have like two weeks to spare with all skills maxed and nothing to do).

(Caveat: it might not be strictly impossible, but you would need incredible luck in things you can't control, like going into hyper mode at the right times and finding money/magazines from the sparkles around town. Careful planning alone won't do it.)

They're non games because they don't have hours of AAA budget cut scenes, with real actor voice overs of a Oscar worthy script written by a Hollywood script writer.

:/

We need to keep these pretentious games away from our beloved store or they are going to destroy the amazing and diversified AAA games we have today. How dare these developers put games focused in a story? Where are the meaningless xp bar? Or the pre order exclusive DLC that will be included in the GOTY release later? Also how dare these "gamers" like games I don't like?

I thought all games should be tailored to my tastes.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
New Bundle Stars Crazy Machines Bundle

$4.04 for Crazy Machines, Crazy Machines 1.5, Crazy Machines 2, and 6 Crazy Machines 2 DLCs. 9 Steam keys.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
We need to keep these pretentious games away from our beloved store or they are going to destroy the amazing and diversified AAA games we have today. How dare these developers put games focused in a story? Where are the meaningless xp bar? Or the pre order exclusive DLC that will be included in the GOTY release later? Also how dare these "gamers" like games I don't like?

It is amazing how many threads on Gaf end up with that tone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thank you! That is great info... I guess I may as well get a PS3 controller then.

I'd consider the DS4. Virtually if not literally everybody who has used one claims it's superior to the DS3 in every conceivable way, with the possible exception of the thumb sticks (some people have had issues with wear and tear on the rubber surface and others haven't).

If that's what you took from my post, that's not what I intended. My intention was to express how sad it makes me when I see people saying that a game that doesn't have all those elements isn't a proper game. Gaming is a broad church and there's room for all types of game. I would not decry anyone their enjoyment of big budget mainstream games at all. They're not really to my taste but I would not wish to spoil their fun. I just find such a blinkered outlook where they try and tell me that games that don't fit into their narrow definition of what a game is not a game is disrespectful.

Caerith

We need to keep these pretentious games away from our beloved store they are going to destroy the amazing and diversified AAA games we have today. How dare these developers put games focused in a story? Where are the meaningless xp bar? Or the pre order exclusive DLC that will be included in the GOTY release later? Also how dare these "gamers" like games I don't like?

Speaking of tastes, gaming is a lot like dining. Chew on that for a while.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crazy Machines -- MB-338391F84103254C - Taken by VikasNarula. 5 entrants total.
Crazy Machines 1.5 -- MB-452EA1CEE1DDE210 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.

t1392313035z1.png

craaaaazyyyyyyy leftovers!

The not a game tag police are basically the equivalent of yelpers who didn't get free refills, people outraged that such a affont to their tastes could exist on their Steam.

Personally I think games like Gone Home and KRZ are garbage, but I'm not going to go tag a game out of rage to try to prevent those kind of games from getting put on the service for others who do like them to enjoy.

It is amazing how many threads on Gaf end up with that tone.

Its sad.

If that's what you took from my post, that's not what I intended. My intention was to express how sad it makes me when I see people saying that a game that doesn't have all those elements isn't a proper game. Gaming is a broad church and there's room for all types of game. I would not decry anyone their enjoyment of big budget mainstream games at all. They're not really to my taste but I would not wish to spoil their fun. I just find such a blinkered outlook where they try and tell me that games that don't fit into their narrow definition of what a game is not a game is disrespectful.

It wasn't aimed at you D:. It was just a weak sarcasm attempt to sound as people who dismiss these games because they dont have what they expect a game to be.

Its sad.

It wasn't aimed at you D:. It was just a weak sarcasm attempt to sound as people who dismiss these games because they dont have what they expect a game to be.

Oh sorry Panda :). I'm in a very odd place mentally at the moment and my thinking is all borked so forgive me if I take things the wrong way at the moment.

Benedict

Welcome to the massacrE

ModBot said:
Instructions for Benedict:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Foreign Legion Buckets of Blood -- MB-64C81313C135B599 - Taken by trailmix16. 5 entrants total.

t1392313305z1.png

vermadas

So I finished Octodad yesterday (thanks charlequin!) The game is really charming and there were several instances where the game eked out a laugh from me with its absurdity. However, the near constant grin on my face during the first few chapters slowly turned into grimaces and swearing when I was asked to navigate some fairly troublesome "stealth" segments later on. I think the game is a bit on the short side for what they are asking for it, so I would advise those on the fence to wait for a sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
http://steamtags.tumblr.com/post/76512029113/fez

I'm definitely in the 'against' camp now. Personal insults are not OK.

From what I've seen so far, users are generally (for the most part) enjoying Steam Tags, while developers are generally (again, for the most part) upset.

From the developer's standpoint, I can see their frustration. I don't know if there are very many games left on Steam that don't have some sort of negative / abusive / incorrect tag associated with them. A lot of these indie developers have put a lot of hard work and dedication into their games, only to be popularly tagged as "shit" and listed on Steam as such.

The only option developers have of opting out of the tagging system is to stop selling their game on Steam. While there is a certain amount of moderation going on, it's obvious that Valve doesn't have the manpower to babysit it's users like this feature really requires.

Zeliard

Agreed.

If anyone wants to send their blood pressure sky high they should read this from the slightly hidden forum of Line Of Defense Tactics - Tactical Advantage

heh

Derek Smart said:
And it is the primary reason why the Steam forums - as big as they are - have probably the worse reputation for online forums. If you were thinking that distinction goes to NeoGaf, then you're very wrong because, believe it or not, most everyone on NeoGaf seemingly grew up when we weren't looking. And somewhere along the way, they also grew a sense of humor. Either that or, unable to compete with the wit and culture of the average all growed up NeoGaffer (!), the churned weak simply left.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/267220/discussions/0/558747922093449025/

Zeppelin

The not a game tag police are basically the equivalent of yelpers who didn't get free refills, people outraged that such a affont to their tastes could exist on their Steam.

The same could be said for the people who are crying over it getting that tag...

That said though, I don't really see why I should be able to tag games I haven't played or even don't own.

Zeliard

Personally I think games like Gone Home and KRZ are garbage, but I'm not going to go tag a game out of rage to try to prevent those kind of games from getting put on the service for others who do like them to enjoy.

You wound me :(

Nothing valve does anymore is ship and forget. Literally nothing. This will change every day.

Giving constructive feedback is great and helpful.

Saying 'welp this is shit fuck this' doesn't help anyone.

I didn't say "shit sucks", I said personal attacks are not OK. There's the constructive feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom