• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

Seeing that Silent Storm was released on Steam, I wonder why the other good Nival games weren't. Stuff like Etherlords 1-2, the Blitzkrieg series, Evil Islands, maybe even Rage of Mages. The former two are 70% off on GOG right now for anyone who's interested.

What do you know, they actually released the Etherlords games on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/270770/ and http://store.steampowered.com/app/270790/. These get a recommendation from me, of course.

Nzyme32

You see, that's what I don't believe, regional pricing doesn't help with piracy problem, not really. And doing regional pricing sooner or later hurts some, it always does.
gog gets it.

good luck with that

Actually according to the steam dev days "steam business update" presentation, it pretty consistently does reduce piracy. It was particularly shown in Russian and Brazilian markets when the currency was changed AND the prices were set to a reasonable level for those territories....

In which case you are right, in that it is more than just the currency change but also the affordability

Tenrius

Are these games like HoMM?

Sort of. I've only really played the first game. It mostly shares its overlworld structure with the HoMM series: you have a castle you can hire heroes in and there is a map with monsters, shops and resources. However, the combat is different, similar to MtG and other CCGs. Just watch a video and you'll get the idea. It's pretty great, has some interesting monster and character designs, too.

For the second game, as far as I know, they moved towards a more RPG-like kind of deal. There is only one character per mission who travels a similar overworld; you don't have a castle and therefore can' hire new heroes.

Nabs

ibhZzrAsfvkfYl.png

Beard Sim is on point. Coffee? C'mon.

Sort of. I've only really played the first game. It mostly shares its overlworld structure with the HoMM series: you have a castle you can hire heroes in and there is a map with monsters, shops and resources. However, the combat is different, similar to MtG and other CCGs. Just watch a video and you'll get the idea. It's pretty great, has some interesting monster and character designs, too.

For the second game, as far as I know, they moved towards a more RPG-like kind of deal. There is only one character per mission who travels a similar overworld; you don't have a castle and therefore can' hire new heroes.

Thanks, looks like something I'd enjoy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You're not in Europe, are you?
Because fuck EA and their "Oh here's a 1% sale on 10 year old games AREN'T WE NICE AND GREAT"
I'm in Argentina. Apparently EA is the only company in the whole wide world that thinks us South Americans deal in euros instead of US dollars.

Not to mention that so far it's the only piece of software I've ever seen that breaks when trying to update itself, corrupting its installation and forcing me to reinstall it. Happened twice with different updates, and I uninstalled it for good the last time it did.

Jawmuncher

Playing Cherry Tree High Comedy Club right now. Dusk Golem was spot on about it basically just being Persona Social Links the game. Only thing throwing me off are these "skills". I know you can learn more about a certain subject to better talk about it, but it seems to me that just brute forcing your way with regular dialog works just as well. Sure i'm missing something or am about to regret the way i'm playing in awhile but we'll see.

Hasney

Playing Cherry Tree High Comedy Club right now. Dusk Golem was spot on about it basically just being Persona Social Links the game. Only thing throwing me off are these "skills". I know you can learn more about a certain subject to better talk about it, but it seems to me that just brute forcing your way with regular dialog works just as well. Sure i'm missing something or am about to regret the way i'm playing in awhile but we'll see.

WHAAATTTTT?! SOLD

Also, my recommended tags has nothing interesting. Just genres and one called Underrated.

Turfster

I'm in Argentina. Apparently EA is the only company in the whole wide world that thinks us South Americans deal in euros instead of US dollars.

EA suits: "Hey, those countries down south. They're like... Greater Spain and Portugal, right? So that makes them Europe. Easy. Done for the day! Let's go to the club!"

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I'd gladly take no community over Steam community.
Good thing is I can choose who's part of my Steam community. Ain't no community like the SteamGAF community <3

EA suits: "Hey, those countries down south. They're like... Greater Spain and Portugal, right? So that makes them Europe. Easy. Done for the day! Let's go to the club ruin some beloved franchises!"
OK, I laughed. Hope you don't mind if I fix it a little, though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Garbage has gone up on my recommended tabs, but Not good!, Terrible, and Buyer Beware! Metacritic < 50 are sill up there.

Basically what I posted before, but garbage has gone to the top.

Seeing the variety of people's tags is interesting.

Not to mention that so far it's the only piece of software I've ever seen that breaks when trying to update itself, corrupting its installation and forcing me to reinstall it. Happened twice with different updates, and I uninstalled it for good the last time it did.

I think EA must hate Argentina, just checked the Origin prices (Brazil) and they are in R$, or maybe they think Argentina is an european country.

"Terrible port" is an accurate tag, in my opinion.
It's a good port in terms of stability and performance, even if the total lack of PC-related features made it very clear what a rushjob Namco demanded from... FROM.

I wouldn't put it in the same category as L.A. Noire, GTA IV, Saint's Row 2 and its ilk in any case. Those are extraordinarily terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom