• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've become extremely proficient in freezing and starving people in Banished, I've almost got it down to a science. Play for 30 minutes, winter comes along and all hell breaks loose.

Surprisingly my first village is still alive and actually thriving.

I started right out on hard so I didn't have any crops or animals for a long time. Went the hunter/gatherer/fishing route and VERY slowly expanded my population. Real gentle nudges up. After a few close calls with food and firewood I'm now at like year 27 with a pop of just over 100, and I've got plenty of everything for the time being. Still expanding slowly, being careful not to outrun my resources too quickly.

I'm real curious to see how large I can grow this town before I lose it all to a dumb decision or one fatal mistake.

Arthea

Kalypso launcher was definitely not optional, unless they hide it so good that it's irrelevant even if it is. I tried to avoid it (with Tropico 4), no luck.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My friend bought it and so far he's enjoying it but according to him the game has some major balancing issues like people consuming too much food and is pretty buggy. Most people from GAF seem to share a similar opinion. I would wait for the developer to sort these things out before buying it, maybe it will receive a discount along the way

Ah, you and your reasonable wallet-closing argument.

I will wait, and I will absorb the Banished OT in excitement. March is gonna be killer for games so I am trying to save a bit.

Those aren't balancing issues, they are design choices. Banished is designed to be hard, it's like the Dark Souls of city builders. Making a small village thrive and survive isn't so bad, but managing a large settlement with hundreds of people through harsh winters and disasters can be very challenging and strategic. The people are supposed to eat a lot, they work hard all day farming and mining and building things!

HoosTrax

Yeah, it has Steam achievements now as well. (I'm guessing they're not live yet.)
Oh no. I have to play that horrible game again.

Well not "horrible", but it's very far from a true flight sim. Somehow they made a combat flight sim that much more arcadey than HAWX even.

Just throwing out a random Steam question. But when is the next big sale going to be? (Going by annual events). I'm assuming a spring sale?

I feel weak having ~20 games vs the people who have a few hundred... :(

JakeD

Kalypso launcher was definitely not optional, unless they hide it so good that it's irrelevant even if it is. I tried to avoid it (with Tropico 4), no luck.

just messed with it a bit, if you have an internet connection, the launcher will open and you have to log in, even if you have steam in offline mode.

if you disconnect completely from the internet, it will go straight into the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just throwing out a random Steam question. But when is the next big sale going to be? (Going by annual events). I'm assuming a spring sale?

The next big sale is the Summer Sale, which should begin ~mid-July. Thus far Valve has ignored Spring and there's no reason to suspect this will change.

textonly

Neo Member
Sorry to be a pain, but since this is "Steamplay" it will activate and run on my PC, right? Even though it says "for Mac"?
I was wrong about Quake 4. It doesn't have a Steamplay tag and there is no separate store page for the Mac version, so I assume Quake 4 Mac version isn't on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/2210/

However the Newegg page says
Steam account required for game activation and installation.
Which confused me, and I found someone already asked a similar question:
A shopper asked:
Hi, is this a Steam download code? Or is it a direct download from e.g. ID Software (or some other company like the built-in Apple App Store on macs)?
Brendan M:
I thought it was steam. But it doesn't work. Contacted newegg support. Took about a week and they couldn't figure it out so they have me a refund.
So if you are going to buy Quake 4 Mac from Newegg, be ready for it isn't a Steam key.

Arthea

just messed with it a bit, if you have an internet connection, the launcher will open and you have to log in, even if you have steam in offline mode.

if you disconnect completely from the internet, it will go straight into the game.

I haven't tried that, true. Thanks for finding this.

Phinor

Quite a few games have been updated with the new tag: AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting: No

Titles I know of: Payday 2, Rust, Banner Saga Deluxe, Divinity: Original Sin, Rust, South Park, Banished. Probably more.

Be careful when trading.

Seems like my days of buying indies games on day 1 are soon over. Fair enough, it never felt quite right but at least in my case I spent a lot more (like double every month) than I used to. Back to waiting for sales.

StAidan

The next big sale is the Summer Sale, which should begin ~mid-July. Thus far Valve has ignored Spring and there's no reason to suspect this will change.

Thankfully. I'd probably lose my house if Steam had more than 2 major sales per year.

Grief.exe

Seems like my days of buying indies games on day 1 are soon over. Fair enough, it never felt quite right but at least in my case I spent a lot more (like double every month) than I used to. Back to waiting for sales.

I'm sure its a small percentage of their total sales that are actually going through that process.
They are still generating revenue from your sale as well.

Zeknurn

Ahem.
v5uq9cM.jpg

With the amount of indie games being released vastly outnumbering the traditional highbudget games, I'd say this counts as a big sale.

Pachimari

I only really started looking at Steam games last week and I already got 16 games in my library. Backlog is growing fast wow!

But I'm also building my very first gaming PC later this month so I'm super excited about PC gaming. :D

RetroMG

The best thing about the streaming beta is that I can have my laptop signed in without Steam signing me out of my PC. Thank goodness that's a thing now.

It is seriously the best. I used to have two accounts on the family share, one for my laptop and one for my desktop. My friends never knew which one to message me on.

Nabs

I only really started looking at Steam games last week and I already got 16 games in my library. Backlog is growing fast wow!

But I'm also building my very first gaming PC later this month so I'm super excited about PC gaming. :D

Make sure you stock up on good bundles (especially this humblebundle.com).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Edit: My bad: it looks like the [gifting/trading restriction] flag was applied to a ton of subs at the same time (more or less):

- The Banner Saga
- Hegemony Rome: The Rise of Caesar
- Payday 2
- Divinity: Original Sin
- South Park
- Thief
- Banished
- Rust
- Hawken
- 7 Days to Die

More:

- Deadfall Adventures
- Injustice
- Assetto Corsa
- Kerbal Space Program
- Whatever this is

Ahem.
v5uq9cM.jpg

With the amount of indie games being released vastly outnumbering the traditional highbudget games, I'd say this counts as a big sale.

Virtually everything is discounted during the Summer, Autumn and Winter Sales, not to mention there's only been one relatively large-scale indie sale and Valve has been distributing indie games since 2005.

Lunaniem

More:

- Deadfall Adventures
- Injustice
- Assetto Corsa
- Kerbal Space Program
- Whatever this is

Virtually everything is discounted during the Summer, Autumn and Winter Sales, not to mention there's only been one relatively large-scale indie sale and Valve has been distributing indie games since 2005.

I hope this doesn't mean everything now is going to get that trading flag, but it sure looks like it will. :(

Fox318

Huh, you now can use emotes in the profile summary, the text (like :dosh:) will get converted to the actual emoticon. Wasn't like this yesterday.

captureixk1v.png

And yes, I'm aware that that might be the most trivial and unimportant thing that ever happened to Steam.

:weed: to shoot up

Pachimari

Make sure you stock up on good bundles (especially this humblebundle.com).

Yeah I did exactly that. :D

I didn't know what Humble Bundle were until last week, when I bought my first one. The great thing was, that I were interested in all of the games but hadn't tried any of them and right now I'm enjoying them on my 5-year old desktop.

In fact, I don't think I have enjoyed gaming this much since the PS2.

Yeah I did exactly that. :D

I didn't know what Humble Bundle were until last week, when I bought my first one. The great thing was, that I were interested in all of the games but hadn't tried any of them and right now I'm enjoying them on my 5-year old desktop.

In fact, I don't think I have enjoyed gaming this much since the PS2.

Welcome, it's an incredible time to be a PC gamer. My girlfriend and sister both have crappy laptops but have loved discovering indie titles that happily run on fairly outdated hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom