• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

He's a "discounts devaluate games in general and I don't feel good for taking money from people that won't ever play the game" kinda developer.

More info on this GiantBomb article: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-slippery-slope-of-video-game-sales/1100-4848/

Thanks, I actually remember reading this. I get what he is saying about people not playing games they bought at a heavy discount but I ended up installing Pixel Junk Shooter the other day (got it heavily discounted through a bundle) and have really enjoyed it. A game that I would have never thought to buy had it not been on sale. The dev got some money that he/she wouldn't have otherwise and I got to enjoy the game I wouldn't have otherwise.

To me, it would make more sense if he said he would never sell his games in a bundle, but saying he will never put it on sale on Steam or another storefront drastically reduces his reach to gamers. If he were talking about bundles, like Humble, rather than Steam sales I think I would agree with him more.

Grief.exe

You guys should read the article I pasted. He makes some really good points, but in the end I disagree with him. Making games cheaper makes you sell your game to more people, which makes more people experience it and gives you more money, while simultaneously makes people spend less money.

Charging Premium for a game and increasing price after release, like he's doing, makes it seem like he wants to add importance to his game by putting it in a specific price category. From that he says, that's not what he's doing... but that's what it sounds like.

But then again, it does make people like me end up with 1000+ games on his Steam account, games which I will never play and probably wouldn't ever have bought if they weren't between 2-5 dollars a piece. I could have used that money more wisely, like saving for the "winter" or... you know.. buying other games..

I read it previously. The argument really hinges on two points that aren't happening in the PC space.

The race to the bottom pricing that occurred on iOS devices.
Population's inability to buy games that aren't on sale.

There is literally so many counterpoints to both of these arguments that I don't even know where to start.
The fact that seven out of the top ten sellers right now are full-priced games, games >$20 dominated the top sellers during the latest Steam sale, the vast majority of indie games releases occur in the $15-$20 range, full-priced AAA games are still launching in the $50-$60 range, sales numbers for Starbound, DayZ, Rust, etc, Battlefield 4 selling the most copies on PC.

It just goes on and on.

I can't even begin to comprehend the argument that people who buy your game aren't actually playing it. Seems like a completely arbitrary concept to try to form an argument around.

I like your game, I don't have the time to play it, but I do have the disposable income available show my support for the developer.

I do concede that the prices going down so quickly can screw early adopters. Some of the AAA publishers just don't seem capable of handling it, Ubisoft discounted Splinter Cell: Blacklist about a month after release trying to save their quarterly report.

Dolor

It's a minority opinion for sure. Barring the money to be made, I know full well that I could save a lot by salewaiting instead of buying a given game in the first week, but if I choose to do so it's because I appreciate what the developer is doing and I want to reward the project.

I understand Rohrer's point of view, but I feel as though someone who knows about his game will also know the score when it comes to sales.

I buy a game at full price if I have an affirmative reason to give that much money to a developer. Usually, that comes as a type of thanks from making an awesome previous game (e.g. Witcher 3 or Defense Grid 2).

Keeping his game at full price just makes it essentially 0% likely I will even give his game a shot and equally unlikely that I will buy anything else he makes.

HoosTrax

Thanks, I actually remember reading this. I get what he is saying about people not playing games they bought at a heavy discount but I ended up installing Pixel Junk Shooter the other day (got it heavily discounted through a bundle) and have really enjoyed it. A game that I would have never thought to buy had it not been on sale. The dev got some money and I got to enjoy the game.

To me it would make more sense to never sell your game in a bundle, but saying you will never put it on sale on Steam or another storefront drastically reduces your reach to gamers.
Have to agree. I'm also the type of person, where I can be playing a game that I had gotten years ago, as part of a bundle, and derive substantial enjoyment from it. Price is not a good indicator at all of how much time or enjoyment I get from a game. Sanctum 1 for example -- I'm finally getting around to it after getting it from a bundle a few years ago, and I've gotten 15 hours of it so far, in the past few days and I'd say I've only completed about half of the game.

Conversely, I've bought games for full price at release where I'll play a few minutes of it and immediately feel repulsed and set it aside indefinitely.

Dolor

I like your game, I don't have the time to play it, but I do have the disposable income available show my support for the developer.

This is one of the primary reasons I buy discounted games rather than just ignoring them. I may not have time to play it thoroughly, but at <$5, I am willing to support it to ensure more games like it get made.

Oh, sure. Performance problems would be a bummer, but I've just played through TLOU so I'm currently acclimated to games not running so well!

I played through TLoU at the end of last year and I didn't really notice any performance problems in the same vein as those evident in the the Souls games on PS3.
Plus it will probably cost less, look nicer, run better, etc.

Gotta support those Namco PC ports. ;)

Finished deadly premonition , what an amazing game. Really liked it, even if there's some little things that need to be cleared.

Also bought Typing of the dead!

Tellaerin

Get it soon if you want it -- the dev said that after the first week, the game will never be on sale again, as a sign of respect to early-adopters.

He just lost a sale from me, then. *shrug* I'd've most likely picked it up at 75% off during a Steam sale, but I'm not interested enough in it at the price he's asking now, even with the 25% discount.

It's not a big deal to me either way, but I think this notion of "respecting early adopters" by never dropping the price of your game is counterproductive. (Then again, I really don't have a lot of sympathy for the people who buy day one and then complain when a game goes on sale/gets a price drop. The way I look at it, if you're buying day one, you're paying extra because you must have it right now. If you do that, you shouldn't feel upset or resentful towards those who ended up paying less because they decided to wait.)

Grief.exe

Have to agree. I'm also the type of person, where I can be playing a game that I had gotten years ago, as part of a bundle, and derive substantial enjoyment from it. Price is not a good indicator at all of how much time or enjoyment I get from a game. Sanctum 1 for example -- I'm finally getting around to it after getting it from a bundle a few years ago, and I've gotten 15 hours of it so far, in the past few days and I'd say I've only completed about half of the game.

Conversely, I've bought games for full price at release where I'll play a few minutes of it and immediately feel repulsed and set it aside indefinitely.

That's a good point, you would have never enjoyed Sanctum 1 if not for some cheap bundle you found the game on.

Now you will be there for subsequent entries in the series day one.

I played through TLoU at the end of last year and I didn't really notice any performance problems in the same vein as those evident in the the Souls games on PS3.

Probably just referring to 30 FPS, I didn't see too many frame rate dips while I was playing Last of Us.

Levyne

Banned

Yeah, I recently played though both TLoU and Demons Souls, the first ran okay for the most part, Demons less so. Also DMC via PS+. Jesus christ that one is bad..

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The game collectors ranking spreadsheet got updated. I'm now 187! Nice!

If anyone knows anyone that isn't on here but should be, let me know and I can pass that info along.

Backlogger

The [URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kLS-nN4UvbjX863BVmkuZsSsnuN4KRoyEK04v4XUeR8/]game collectors ranking spreadsheet[/URL] got updated. I'm now 187! Nice!

If anyone knows anyone that isn't on here but should be, let me know and I can pass that info along.

I have some work to do...

FYI, I had to edit the URL to get it to load, but maybe it was just me

LuffyZoro

The [URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kLS-nN4UvbjX863BVmkuZsSsnuN4KRoyEK04v4XUeR8/]game collectors ranking spreadsheet[/URL] got updated. I'm now 187! Nice!

Everyone on that list is crazy.

graywolf323

wow, Jase fell out of the top 20 and I think Xelios even lost some spots on the top 10

I managed to move up to #286 though

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Okay I wasn't imagining things when I felt the Sectopods were fucking ridiculous in Enemy Within. Apparently the expansion halved the damage they take from all sources. That is some mean shit Firaxis. Mean ass shit.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
guess not, again, I didnt know any of this existed :p

I sent you a friend invite on Steam. After we're friends I can ask you be invited to the group, if you'd like to be included. :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Im having issues with purchasing on Steam with Paypal. It says the region doesn't match and its changing it to that currency but when its changed still the order fails to process after entering my paypal info. -_-
Then it gives another error "There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance."

Any help guys?

Grief.exe

Does anyone know if you can redeem CoD2 Mac Steamworks key on Getgamesgo on PC too?

The URL has Steam in it
There is a picture on the right side that says DRM: Steam
There is a description in product details that says DRM Type: Steamworks Keycode

SgYQp4g.jpg

radMonkey

Really tempted by this even though I'm currently feuding with GMG/Playfire customer service.
I could get them free if they'd fix my damn account...

What's the problem? Is it having more than one account? The GMG engineers are working on a solution to resolve people who've got that problem. Sorry about that, but we'll hopefully have that fixed soon.

Okay I wasn't imagining things when I felt the Sectopods were fucking ridiculous in Enemy Within. Apparently the expansion halved the damage they take from all sources. That is some mean shit Firaxis. Mean ass shit.

:eek:

That's just sadism! :/

They're tough enough as it is! :'(

I'm currently almost done with my current playthrough, on Classic, and I really don't want to think what they would be like on Classic in EW as you describe them :/. They're manageable with a great deal of care but oh so irritating when their barrage of death occasionally comes out of the fog without any warning. XCOM gotta XCOM I guess :/.

The top guy on that list is a whale

2,651 games on Steam | 3,138 DLC on Steam
1020 games on Desura
428 games on GOG
99 games on Origin

I have no idea what that means in that context :/. Oh you cool kids with your 'creative' lingo!

[Urban Dictionary wasn't much help :/]

Levyne

Banned
I'm more used to seeing "whale" used when refering to someone who will buy every piece of dlc and end up spending hundreds on a game getting all the skins/costumes/etc. But I suppose its use here is similar enough.

Dr Dogg

I have no idea what that means in that context :/. Oh you cool kids with your 'creative' lingo!

Hahaha technically speaking it's an old gambling term. Pretty much interchangeable with high roller. As to the etymology I'm not sure but I've seen enough old films to have it ingrained into my vocabulary.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
:eek:

That's just sadism! :/

They're tough enough as it is! :'(

I'm currently almost done with my current playthrough, on Classic, and I really don't want to think what they would be like on Classic in EW as you describe them :/. They're manageable with a great deal of care but oh so irritating when their barrage of death occasionally comes out of the fog without any warning. XCOM gotta XCOM I guess :/.
Yeah you are screwed. My best sniper with insane buffs allowed in the EW additions was getting like 7-8 dmg max on a non-crit.

These dudes could single-handedly wreck an ironman run if you screw up a single turn even slightly.

Grief.exe

Whale is actually a common term in the F2P market.

Games that focus on user-by-user sales are limiting themselves because they don't embrace freeloaders and they don't embrace whales. And it's the whales that F2P games should be hunting. The term "whale" differs a bit depending on how it's being used -- for some, a "whale" is merely someone who spends more than most -- but the real crux of the "whale" concept is someone who spends more than they would if the game restricted them to self-only purchases.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134825/the_fwords_of_mmos_freetoplay.php?print=1

pulga

Banned
Hey, I've got a Steam-for-Dummies question and I'm in dire need of help, and dont really wanna start a thread for this. Ever since I moved to Italy I've been getting the following error:

lesGazX.png

I've been exchanging emails with Valve support for at least two weeks to no avail.

I've tried connecting to another wifi source, disabled firewalls, etc and nothing seems to work! Latest email and step I've tried is this:

The following instructions describe how to temporarily disable applications running in the background which can cause conflicts with Steam. These instructions are for temporary, diagnostic use only.

Please exit any open applications.
Then, click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen.
Select System Preferences.
Under the System section, select Users & Groups (or Accounts, in older versions of OS X).
Click on your user name in the left panel.
Note: Your account may already be selected. If so, continue to the next step.
Then, click the Login Items button to the right.
We recommend keeping a separate list of all items that occur here, so they can be re-added in the future.
Click on each individual item and click the minus button found below the list.
Please remove all items from this list.
To avoid removing these items, you can also use a free tool called TinkerTool to simply deactivate these items.
http://bresink.de/osx/0TinkerTool/download.php5
Once these items are removed/deactivated, restart your computer and re-test the issue.

So what the fuck gives? Does Steam not work in Italy? Am I doomed? I've a new MBA OSX Version 10.9.1 by the way

pulga

Banned
Have you talked to your ISP? They will be able to at least confirm traffic is getting through and isn't being blocked for some strange reason.

Might as well try talking to Obama lol getting my internet installed took three different people coming into my apartment in a space of two weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom