• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just realized that the Typing of the Dead DLC is also on sale at Greenman Gaming, for $0.81 each after coupon code Y2OZM7-MJ3VHD-0AVTI1, and includes $0.10 credit. Both activate on Steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I usually link sources, don't know why I forgot this time

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/PC/FAQ

My favorite part:

Can Games for Windows — LIVE games be sold on Steam and other digital distribution providers?

Yes, games such as Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV use Games for Windows — LIVE and are sold on Steam as well as other digital distribution providers. In contrast, Steamworks titles are rarely sold on other digital distribution providers because the Steam client is required to install, launch and play the game. Since Games for Windows — LIVE games are sold in more places, there are more consumer choices where the game can be digitally purchased and thus more competitive prices for consumers.

This must have been wrote a LONG time ago. I mean, when was the last time that GFWL games were "sold in more places"?

My favorite part:

This must have been wrote a LONG time ago.

:lol Well, close enough. It was probably written the same time GFWL came out which quite incidentally is the same day it was doomed "quite shit" and dropped, only to return in it's final form always on DRM

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The same advice I give to people playing Saints Row 3 or 4. Do not burn yourself out on side content. I stuck to the story missions, radio towers and enemy camp takeovers only. Even with just doing those activities I was pretty much at max level a little over the midway point of the game.

it's an enjoyable game, just don't allow yourself to get wrapped up in the repetitive activities. it will make you hate life.
If people can't figure out how to pace that stuff themselves, they are a lost cause.

FloatOn

oh god.... I just watched 12 minutes of dark souls 2

I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait on master race edition.... it looks so damn amazing.

oh god.... I just watched 12 minutes of dark souls 2

I don't know if I'm going to be able to wait on master race edition.... it looks so damn amazing.

I want a physical collector's edition to match the two I already own so I'm getting it on the PS3 and PC. If any game deserves the money it'll probably be Dark Souls II. Will be odd going back to PS3 Dark Souls though, been replaying the first on the PC and with Durante's added features and the resolution tweaks it looks stunning.

Deques

Just realized that the Typing of the Dead DLC is also on sale at Greenman Gaming, for $0.81 each after coupon code Y2OZM7-MJ3VHD-0AVTI1, and includes $0.10 credit. Both activate on Steam.

I bought the dlcs along with the base game. GMG sure has done a good job at making the whole cart discounted with the voucher.
I think this is my first purchase in a long time in GMG

Get it soon if you want it -- the dev said that after the first week, the game will never be on sale again, as a sign of respect to early-adopters.

I knew the name sounded familiar. The only reason i'm wary of buying it, is because its reliant on keeping a player base going.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I bought the dlcs along with the base game. GMG sure has done a good job at making the whole cart discounted with the voucher.
I think this is my first purchase in a long time in GMG

fucking finally!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started Dark Souls today. DSFixed applied and all. Praise the Sun!

I just met that guy but he didn't say that phrase yet, I am sad.
Does he ever say it? I'm also going through the game right now and I'm under the impression that Solaire himself never specifically says that and it's only a message of joy players can leave around. It's obvious why the meme is attached to him but I was a little disappointed when he never said it, haha. At least he does appear in that ballerina pose that's used in many of the fanarts when you summon him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
bought Typing of the Dead, and they gave me Rome? so have at it I guess?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rome: Total War -- MB-410C5C10B4F52C6B - Taken by didamangi. 8 entrants total.

t1391029369z1.png

jshackles

Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.8. Changes in this version include:

• Added extended options for DLC checkboxes that are accessible by clicking "Options ▾".
  • Added price options to search results pages letting you easily filter results by price
  • Added speech input option to search boxes on store pages
  • Incorporated coupon codes into lowest price data
  • The "Remove" links on the wishlist no longer require the page to reload
  • Added an option to disable Early Access image overlays
  • Fixed a bug in market transaction total caused by change in API by Valve
  • Removed language selection dropdown in options page to reduce confusion
If you already have Enhanced Steam installed, the update should apply automatically within the next 60 minutes. As always, feel free to let me know if you have any issues, comments, or feature suggestions.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Enhanced Steam for Google Chrome has been updated to version 5.8. Changes in this version include:

• Added extended options for DLC checkboxes that are accessible by clicking "Options ▾".
  • Added price options to search results pages letting you easily filter results by price
If you already have Enhanced Steam installed, the update should apply automatically within the next 60 minutes. As always, feel free to let me know if you have any issues, comments, or feature suggestions.

I will wait eternally for the market version of this.

Volimar

I already thanked him in chat, but whichever one of you is Oddo Eudes, thanks for giving me the game code. Made my day to come online and see the chat and gift out of nowhere.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

How much bandwidth do you use on a regular week (without anew release available)? You must be bleeding money by now.

rtcn63

But can it play Steam games?

Backlogger

Get it soon if you want it -- the dev said that after the first week, the game will never be on sale again, as a sign of respect to early-adopters.

Really? Seems like the dev could be leaving a lot of money on the table. Some people will never buy it at full price. Also, didn't he read the article written by the guy that documented his experiences with getting Cook, Serve, Delicious on Steam and how much money he made during Steam sales?

jshackles

I will wait eternally for the market version of this.

Eternity (or until I get hired by Valve) may be how long it takes, unfortunately. I've looked into this extensively but the only way to currently filter the market by price is to load every market result for your particular search then manually order them. In essence, I would have to re-write most of the market's functionality. And if your search were broad (such as the "default" search) it could literally take minutes to complete this process and return the relevant results.

How much bandwidth do you use on a regular week (without anew release available)? You must be bleeding money by now.

In a typical week the Enhanced Steam sever uses about 65-75GB of bandwidth. Fortunately, Google handles the distribution of new versions of the Chrome plugin. Even still, it gets quite expensive.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Really? Seems like the dev could be leaving a lot of money on the table. Some people will never buy it at full price. Also, didn't he read the article written by the guy that documented his experiences with getting Cook, Serve, Delicious on Steam and how much money he made during Steam sales?

He's a "discounts devaluate games in general and I don't feel good for taking money from people that won't ever play the game" kinda developer.

More info on this GiantBomb article: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/the-slippery-slope-of-video-game-sales/1100-4848/

VoidZero

Banned
I'm starting to hate Dark Souls and it's not because of the game. It's because of GFWL.

I was fighting Manus and brought him to 10 or 20% health.
*You have been disconnected from GFWL*
So now I have to fight him again.

This is really rage inducing, specially when it keeps happening.
I really hope Namco removes it.

Grief.exe

Discounts actually increase the value of your property as it gets into the hands of significantly more people than it would normally.

Any argument to the contrary doesn't match up with reality.

I'm starting to hate Dark Souls and it's not because of the game. It's because of GFWL.

I was fighting Manus and brought him to 10 or 20% health.
*You have been disconnected from GFWL*
So now I have to fight him again.

This is really rage inducing, specially when it keeps happening.
I really hope Namco removes it.

We can only hope.

I want a physical collector's edition to match the two I already own so I'm getting it on the PS3 and PC. If any game deserves the money it'll probably be Dark Souls II. Will be odd going back to PS3 Dark Souls though, been replaying the first on the PC and with Durante's added features and the resolution tweaks it looks stunning.

I fucking HATED the physical collectors edition (the one in the metal tin). The glue stripped the paint from the tin, and the downloads for the stuff were slow as balls (let alone having a time limit).

Something isn't right, its still January (fair enough the end of it) but I've already completed 10 games. The backlog is slowly falling...must buy more.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Discounts actually increase the value of your property as it gets into the hands of significantly more people than it would normally.

Any argument to the contrary doesn't match up with reality..

Well, I'm a "don't buy games that cost 10 dollars or more" kind of consumer.

You guys should read the article I pasted. He makes some really good points, but in the end I disagree with him. Making games cheaper makes you sell your game to more people, which makes more people experience it and gives you more money, while simultaneously makes people spend less money.

Charging Premium for a game and increasing price after release, like he's doing, makes it seem like he wants to add importance to his game by putting it in a specific price category. From that he says, that's not what he's doing... but that's what it sounds like.

But then again, it does make people like me end up with 1000+ games on his Steam account, games which I will never play and probably wouldn't ever have bought if they weren't between 2-5 dollars a piece. I could have used that money more wisely, like saving for the "winter" or... you know.. buying other games..

def sim

I don't know if I can wait for the PC version of Dark Souls 2. Once people start talking about it on here and the podcasts I listen to, it's going to be super difficult not to just go out and pick it up. Part of the fun about it is discovering and sharing information. Two weeks or so after the consoles, most things will probably have been figured out and would be hard to avoid on forums.

HoosTrax

Ironically, the only thing Rohrer's stance on the issue is going to accomplish is to ensure his loyal customers will be buying an MP game that won't receive regular influxes of new players checking it out during sales.
Unrelated - did DOTA2 disappear from the # players chart?
Unrelated 2 - It's really kind of obnoxious that there's a discount on MoTN Complete, but not on just the SE DLC.

bronson

It's a minority opinion for sure. Barring the money to be made, I know full well that I could save a lot by salewaiting instead of buying a given game in the first week, but if I choose to do so it's because I appreciate what the developer is doing and I want to reward the project.

I understand Rohrer's point of view, but I feel as though someone who knows about his game will also know the score when it comes to sales.

I don't know if I can wait for the PC version of Dark Souls 2. Once people start talking about it on here and the podcasts I listen to, it's going to be super difficult not to just go out and pick it up. Part of the fun about it is discovering and sharing information. Two weeks or so after the consoles, most things will probably have been figured out and would be hard to avoid on forums.

Blighttown and Valley of Defilement are reasons enough alone to make me wait for PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom