• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I've got a Steam-for-Dummies question and I'm in dire need of help, and dont really wanna start a thread for this. Ever since I moved to Italy I've been getting the following error:

lesGazX.png

I've been exchanging emails with Valve support for at least two weeks to no avail.

I've tried connecting to another wifi source, disabled firewalls, etc and nothing seems to work! Latest email and step I've tried is this:

So what the fuck gives? Does Steam not work in Italy? Am I doomed? I've a new MBA OSX Version 10.9.1 by the way

Did you install Little Snitch and accidentally deny all connections to/from Steam?

Now that Halo 2 Anniversary has been confirmed (well, leaked and sanctioned by bish, apparently?), it makes me wonder if it leads to a PC port. Mostly, because I remember that tweet about further Halo 2 Vista news later this year, in context of the GFWL shutdown (if I'm not mixing anything up, that is).

def sim

I played through TLoU at the end of last year and I didn't really notice any performance problems in the same vein as those evident in the the Souls games on PS3.
Plus it will probably cost less, look nicer, run better, etc.

Gotta support those Namco PC ports. ;)

It definitely does not get as low as in Blighttown, but it was still a surprise after having avoided console games for a bit. There are a good amount of parts where the framerate dipped to the low end of 20 and stayed there for a long while.

Anyway, I'm probably going to end up buying DS2 on both PS3 and PC.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Now that Halo 2 Anniversary has been confirmed (well, leaked and sanctioned by bish, apparently?), it makes me wonder if it leads to a PC port. Mostly, because I remember that tweet about further Halo 2 Vista news later this year, in context of the GFWL shutdown (if I'm not mixing anything up, that is).
Honestly, I feel it makes Halo 2 even less likely to hit Steam.

Hahaha technically speaking it's an old gambling term. Pretty much interchangeable with high roller. As to the etymology I'm not sure but I've seen enough old films to have it ingrained into my vocabulary.

Actually that rings a bell, thanks :).

Ah, I see what you mean now, thanks Grief. Thanks also for the link; that last section was interesting.

Yeah you are screwed. My best sniper with insane buffs allowed in the EW additions was getting like 7-8 dmg max on a non-crit.

These dudes could single-handedly wreck an ironman run if you screw up a single turn even slightly.

Sounds....fun? :/

I don't know as I'm trying to be on a media blackout for EW but I would guess that they've done this for those who have played EU to death and are looking for more of a challenge. Nice :/.

I was in no rush to get to EW anyway as I had decided to sate myself on EU first [I haven't even installed my Slingshot DLC yet] but after hearing this about the Sectopod I think I can just about wait until it's on sale again in the Summer.

Or Autumn.

Or Winter....

:)

Caerith

There is literally so many counterpoints to both of these arguments that I don't even know where to start.
Just to add another counterpoint to the pile:

It's a downturned economy.

I suppose if all PC gamers were fabulously wealthy misers who could afford anything but only bought games at -75%, then yes, you could argue that refusing to put your game on sale ensures yadda yadda yadda.

But how many gamers view game purchases in terms of skipped lunches? And $16 is a lot of lunches.

I know there's the counter-argument of "but you could have gotten it for $8 on the developer's website," but, that's a dickish argument. People learn about the existence of video games in two ways: either there's an AAA marketing campaign cramming it down your throat or you hear about it through word of mouth (or word of stream?). There's a reason NeoGAF has so many "LTTP" threads. In this case, the developer's marketing campaign seems to have consisted of a blog post, so scaling the price up over time is like a big middle finger to anyone who doesn't read his blog.

Castle Doctrine has an interesting premise, but a multi-only game is a tough sell against, say, a pizza.

I have no idea what that means in that context :/. Oh you cool kids with your 'creative' lingo!

[Urban Dictionary wasn't much help :/]
I play this one mobile game called Puzzle & Dragons. It's a free game supported by in-app purchases in the form of "magic stones." You can use these stones for a variety of purposes, like expanding your inventory or refilling your stamina, but the big draw is the gacha machine. Gacha (pronounced "gotcha!") are like those egg machines you see from place to place: you put money in, and a random trinket comes out. The Puzzle & Dragons gacha takes 5 stones and you can get a rare monster from it. Oftentimes it would be a kinda crappy rare monster, but it's also the only way to get the really good ones (known as gods). Every few weeks, they have a "godfest" where the odds of getting a god are increased slightly.

There's an unofficial facebook group for Puzzle & Dragons. People post schedules of events, etc-- for the longest time, it was the only place to go for information. I would often see people post pictures of stack upon stack of iTunes gift cards with comments like "this is for tomorrow!" I'd add up the amounts on the cards, and it was frequently like $1,200+. These people would do this multiple times. Spending thousands of dollars at a time on an otherwise free game.

That's what a whale is.

Man, that feeling when you've got a ton of different upgrades going on, spraying on-hit profs and feeling invulnerable in Risk of Rain... so good.

My only wish is for a sort of matchmaking system to join an open host.

My 2nd only wish is to have ALL of the menus support controller.

Man, that feeling when you've got a ton of different upgrades going on, spraying on-hit profs and feeling invulnerable in Risk of Rain... so good.

My only wish is for a sort of matchmaking system to join an open host.

My 2nd only wish is to have ALL of the menus support controller.

I second that.

Nabs

Did Kingdoms of Amalur just get a price drop to $20? I guess we might actually get another sale at some point.

Nabs

nope it's been 29.99...hopefully they'll drop it 50% again on their next sale. $10 has always been the sweet spot for me (on steam...that $5 origin deal doesnt count)

I think the last price drop lined up with a weekend deal.

Cth

Has anyone played Not The Robots yet?

Just saw it added to the Flying Bundle and it's been on my wishlist.. Debating on getting the bundle just for it and giving away the extras I have of the others.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
wow, Jase fell out of the top 20 and I think Xelios even lost some spots on the top 10

I managed to move up to #286 though

I wasn't in the top 20 -- 23 is exactly where I was when the spreadsheet went up so I've maintained my position.

I just played a mission in XCOM using headphones as it's late here and I don't want to be anti social. It made it such an intimate and thus even more intense experience. I really should invest in a set of decent pc speakers. I should probably invest in a decent pair of headphones for my pc too. Oh and a decent sound card :/.

If anyone looks like Cary Grant from North By Northwest and wishes to be my sugar daddy don't be shy now! :D

I play this one mobile game called Puzzle & Dragons. It's a free game supported by in-app purchases in the form of "magic stones." You can use these stones for a variety of purposes, like expanding your inventory or refilling your stamina, but the big draw is the gacha machine. Gacha (pronounced "gotcha!") are like those egg machines you see from place to place: you put money in, and a random trinket comes out. The Puzzle & Dragons gacha takes 5 stones and you can get a rare monster from it. Oftentimes it would be a kinda crappy rare monster, but it's also the only way to get the really good ones (known as gods). Every few weeks, they have a "godfest" where the odds of getting a god are increased slightly.

There's an unofficial facebook group for Puzzle & Dragons. People post schedules of events, etc-- for the longest time, it was the only place to go for information. I would often see people post pictures of stack upon stack of iTunes gift cards with comments like "this is for tomorrow!" I'd add up the amounts on the cards, and it was frequently like $1,200+. These people would do this multiple times. Spending thousands of dollars at a time on an otherwise free game.

That's what a whale is.

:eek:

Some people really want the shiny huh? :/

Thanks :) especially for giving me fond recollection of doing that in Shenmue. Although I rather resented spending the in-game virtual currency on them so I don't think I'll be confused with one of those that spends real world money on such items any time soon!

Hahaha go read the OP for the Rust OT and everything will make sense. Be warned though there are vids.

If they don't add character customisation in that game then I really don't know what to say. Everyone could customise the character models to their heart's content and perv over their fantasy lovers. That's what I would do anyway :p.

EDIT:

Has anyone played Not The Robots yet?

Just saw it added to the Flying Bundle and it's been on my wishlist.. Debating on getting the bundle just for it and giving away the extras I have of the others.

I believe More Badass picked it up. Or it might have been Toma. One of the indie lovers though.

Possibly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've been watching that game for a while and its been at $30, this is great news!

The day after it dropped from $60 to $30 it was a Daily so history could very well be in the process of repeating itself, though this time a Weekend Deal is a distinct possibility. Half off would be my guess ($9.99, $5 less than the previous sale price).

Caerith

Approximately 3720 to 1.
Never tell me the odds.

If anyone looks like Cary Grant from North By Northwest and wishes to be my sugar daddy don't be shy now! :D

:eek:

Some people really want the shiny huh? :/

Thanks :) especially for giving me fond recollection of doing that in Shenmue. Although I rather resented spending the in-game virtual currency on them so I don't think I'll be confused with one of those that spends real world money on such items any time soon!
That's actually one of the fairer examples. Some games are outright robbery; I really don't get the appeal.

Also, dibs on Eva Marie Saint.

Woohoo are you still playing vanilla xcom?
I had some Amazon credit during the winter sale and picked up the EU/EW bundle on Amazon. I heard that EW changes the balance a lot, so I've been playing just vanilla to get the experience, and I'll go into EW sometime later.

GreenManGaming code for 25% off of TES Online - 6UF5XU-9ET2TP-PU0GJF

Rome: Total War (Steam) - PJYHG-KLLZC-AFHZ3

First one to redeem gets it. Good hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom