• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uraizen

Banned
I'm going to buy that game on day one. It's going to be a hidden gem.

Game play looks as smooth as eggs.

I think it helps that I'm looking at this game as Yaiba and not Ninja Gaiden.

I'm betting playing the game on mute will help as well. At least that's my plan when I buy it.

People will buy; they just won't play it. ;)

Excellent, please do buy this game.
So the ones I want hopefully come to Steam.

damaph

So I bought the Max Payne 3 and LA Noire bundle from Amazon, but LA Noire does not want to run. The launcher opens fine, but when I press launch, nothing happens. I searched the web and tried all the fixes I could find but none of them worked. Did anyone else have this problem and was able to fix it? I'm on windows 8 x64.

Anybody? I'm about to just download a crack and crack my legitimate game. This DRM is ridiculous.

What do you guys use to keep track of your backlog? I've just tried backloggery, but I don't like that there's no games database and I have to manually type the name of the games, also no cover images for the games...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Excellent, please do buy this game.
So the ones I want hopefully come to Steam.

But of course. Supporting belated/unlikely PC ports is the only way to ensure more will come (according to Wikipedia, Z will be the first Ninja Gaiden game to hit the PC since 2 in 1991).

Not only will I play it but I'm going to 100% it.

Please seek help immediately.

Uraizen

Banned
But of course. Supporting belated/unlikely PC ports is the only way to ensure more will come (according to Wikipedia, Z will be the first Ninja Gaiden game to hit the PC since 2 in 1991).

Depending on the price even I may buy it. I already own all character action games on steam
afaik
, so why not?

Relax.MX

This question is from a friend outside of Gaf:

I installed windows 7 and Steam in a SSD. I have all my steam games in my old HDD. What can I do so Steam detects a runs the games that are in the HDD? Thanks in advance.

Any idea?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This question is from a friend outside of Gaf:

Any idea?

You can go about this one of two ways:

- Use Steam's library folder manager and select the folder containing the SteamApps folder as the library location; for example, if his games are located in D:\Steam\steamapps, then he'd select D:\Steam as the library folder, or
- Use Link Shell Extension to drop the SteamApps folder on the HDD into the Steam installation on the SSD as a symbolic link (essentially, Steam will automatically be rerouted to the HDD whenever it accesses the folder)

Edit: With the second option, since games will install to the HDD by default, he'd need to a set up a secondary library folder on the SSD if he wants to install games on it.

neoemonk

I fixed my Dark Souls streaming woes. Over the summer I was playing Dark Souls on PC a lot, and I also decided to check out this new fangled Twitch streaming thing that all the kids are doing these days. I was using OBS and it wouldn't stream when I used DSFix. After much trial and error and some Googling it turned out that Steam community in-game had to be disabled on my system in order for me to stream to Twitch using OBS and DSFix.

Months passed and the other day I got into the in-home streaming beta, and Dark Souls was the first game I wanted to try. I could not get it to stream, and because my memory sucks couldn't remember exactly what I had done to get it working with OBS/DSFix. Another poster commented that Dark Souls streamed fine for them, and once I remembered that I had disabled the in-game community feature I turned it back on and voila! In-home streaming worked again.

I hope this post can help anyone else that may have the same problem.

Relax.MX

You can go about this one of two ways:

- Use Steam's library folder manager and select the folder containing the SteamApps folder as the library location; for example, if his games are located in D:\Steam\steamapps, then he'd select D:\Steam as the library folder, or
- Use Link Shell Extension to drop the SteamApps folder on the HDD into the Steam installation on the SSD as a symbolic link (essentially, Steam will automatically be rerouted to the HDD whenever it accesses the folder)

Edit: With the second option, since games will install to the HDD by default, he'd need to a set up a secondary library folder on the SSD if he wants to install games on it.

JaseC thanks again. As always NeoGAF does not disappoint me.

mannerbot

I fixed my Dark Souls streaming woes. Over the summer I was playing Dark Souls on PC a lot, and I also decided to check out this new fangled Twitch streaming thing that all the kids are doing these days. I was using OBS and it wouldn't stream when I used DSFix. After much trial and error and some Googling it turned out that Steam community in-game had to be disabled on my system in order for me to stream to Twitch using OBS and DSFix.

Months passed and the other day I got into the in-home streaming beta, and Dark Souls was the first game I wanted to try. I could not get it to stream, and because my memory sucks couldn't remember exactly what I had done to get it working with OBS/DSFix. Another poster commented that Dark Souls streamed fine for them, and once I remembered that I had disabled the in-game community feature I turned it back on and voila! In-home streaming worked again.

I hope this post can help anyone else that may have the same problem.

In general, you can just stream your desktop and have the game windowed (borderless windowed works as well).

I took it, turns out it wasn't alpha protocol but alpha prime, didn't notice till I redeemed it on steam, thanks anyway though!

Sorry, long day... yes, alpha prime... but at least someone got to use the key now. You see that modbot. I can still give away the key even if you won't nuke it. :p

Action games on Steam -- don't forget Castlevania:Lords of Shadow. That counts too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just played the tutorial level of Blackguards. I have to say it's not at all what I thought it would be. While it certainly tries to capture the feeling of the earlier Heroes of Might and Magic games, I feel like it really fell short.

The interface was clunky and the game mechanics just... well they kind of suck actually. For example, on one of the tutorial levels I was supposed to cut a rope that was holding up a chandelier. The tutorial told me "Cut the rope on the chandelier. Stand next to it, open the menu, and select the use icon."

So I moved my character there, selected use, then it wanted me to select the tile I wanted to "use". But I couldn't select the rope (it wasn't in a tile). So I read through the menu again and it said "Press the Z button to see usable items". Which I did, and it showed that the rope was usable, but I still wasn't able to click on it. I thought maybe my character might be out of "action points" for the turn, so I waited til next turn and tried again. Same result.

Finally I just ended up brute-force attacking the guards with my bare hands, doing like 1-2 damage per turn. Occasionally, I tried returning to the rope and "using" it with my available characters, but never got it to work.

This sort of frustrating experience in the tutorial levels is not a good sign. The story seems "okay" but not great, and the voice acting is pretty "meh" though just about right for a Daedalic game. The game has gotten pretty high praise from the Steam reviews - but I just think that honestly this game isn't for me. It's also apparently a VERY long game - one guy in his review even mentioned that it took over 100 hours to complete chapter 3 (and he has the play time to back it up). Additionally, only 0.4% of Steam users have unlocked the "Endgame (Finished Chapter 5)" achievement.

If you're absolutely a huge fan of fantasy-set turn-based strategy games and can get past a little bit of the jank, it seems that there is enough to Blackguards to keep you busy for a VERY long time, which means it would easily be worth the asking price. If you're not a veteran of the genre, this certainly isn't a very good place to start and I would recommend staying away completely or downloading the demo on Steam and trying it out before buying. Their base price is set really high on this one, so I'd say it's only worth while if you're a big fan of the genre or if playing the demo leaves you wanting more.

For me personally, it's not my cup of tea.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Yay new thread!

Subscribing :)

zkylon

zkylewd
9 hours, I still can't call xenosaga a real game in good conscience

but we're getting there

it's just taking forever

TGMIII

If I liked MGR, Ninja Gaiden, and DMC3/4 will I like DMC? Or will I feel disappointed?

There's already in-depth discussions about DmC but ultimately it's a game that doesn't live up to the series' heights. Still worth checking out if you're interested in seeing it for yourself and it's certainly no where near as bad as DMC2.

DMC is good. Most complains about the came from dante's new look and maybe the light/dark weapon style shit... but it's a good game.

It goes much deeper than that.

neoemonk

In case it wasn't obvious, I was talking about streaming as in having other people watch you play, not Steam in-home streaming. You just add a Monitor Capture source to your scene in OBS.

Gotcha. Thought you were talking about in-home streaming.

Earlier today I checked the old thread at work and saw someone post something about BioShock Infinite plus DLC for 4.99. Was that legit? I didn't have time to follow up on it.

Anteater

If I liked MGR, Ninja Gaiden, and DMC3/4 will I like DMC? Or will I feel disappointed?

You will probably like it but the bosses are probably the worst out of all the action games. The normal enemies are fun to fight outside of a few color coded stuff which I heard you could remove with a mod, but it might not bother you.

It's still worth playing but you'll probably find some quirks here and there, it's not as polished as the other games.

Just don't expect bosses to be something as crazy as DMC3, they're mostly gimmicky jump over a few hurdles, punch it a few times for SSS kind of boss :p

Edit: My post sounds negative but I really enjoyed my time with it and I thought it was worth playing a few times, and I would probably return to it when I could get it for cheap (have it on the ps3...), it's really kind of like dmc-lite

All of the bosses except the last one are pretty poor in DMC (at least there's no gauntlet!) which is a shame but I think in general it's quite a bit of fun and has a good amount of depth although it's not on the same level as DmC3/4. Platforming also gets a bit tedious, no real need for it outside of padding.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As a fan of those other games, but not the God of War series or Castlevania Lords of Shadow, I quite enjoyed DmC as a decent, competent, moments of silly fun action game. Usually on the easy side, with one difficulty option for one-hit deaths that might appease some, with a sense of making it easy to do big combos like a Sengoku Basara or Dynasty Warriors.

No it's not as good as the other games, but it's hardly a bad game if taken entirely on it's own as though it's not a part of any franchise and sitting right alongside Enslaved, Heavenly Blade, Marlows Brigs, Star Wars The Force Unleashed, etc as titles that can be enjoyed. Competent perhaps, but at worse you might just say "I liked another game better".

Edit:The mod mentioned above to remove the colour coordinated enemies nonsense
http://dmcmods.com/2470-weapons-damage-colored-enemies-2

Note all the above is about gameplay, story wise I don't even remember DmC at all.

DMC3/4, DMC, and MGR are about it.

Lords of shadow would qualify as might Valdis from a slightly different perspective.

Maybe the batman games if you take it as walking around as one character doing the same combo over and over (how I incorrectly play Devil may cry games)

Anteater

and since you have a ps3, I would also suggest god hand from psn (ps2 classic), it's a different kind of game than the other fast pace action games though, but it's incredibly fun and unique.

Lost Planet 3 is this really awkward marriage of a scripted, linear third person shooter and an openworld game. The thing is the surface of E.D.N. III isn't really an openworld, it looks far larger and more open than it actually is. It's really just a series of limited corridors. The missions that take place on the surface generally feel like the sort of bog standard filler activities you'd find in an openworld game.

Every mission you follow these glowing breadcrumbs on the world, which doesn't make sense because you're sitting in a mech and have a radar on your upper right heads up display. You follow these breadcrumbs and trundle down the corridors of the surface. Occasionally fighting some Akrid with these awkward Q.T.E. combat mini-games (block at the right moment, grab and then drill the glowing spot for massive damage) or hopping out of the mech to shoot the smaller, mobile things. Reach your destination and sometimes there's a linear third person shooting section, a boss arena or a thing to click on. They tend to re-use a lot of the same monsters and sometimes those monsters re-use the same geometry, there's just a few different parts stuck on the main body. You get through the section collect a thing and/or repair a thing and backtrack back through the corridors.

It's a very dull game. I bought this and Remember Me during the winter sale, I couldn't stop playing Remember Me until I beat it. With Lost Planet 3 I kind of have to force myself through it an hour or two at a time. According to HLTB I'm about halfway through the game. Think I'll try to hammer through the rest of it tomorrow.

Once I beat this I'm uninstalling it and never playing Lost Planet 3 again. At best all this game has done is made me want to play the first Lost Planet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom