• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesseract

Banned
playing castlevania up to chatper 8, starting to get bored. climbing sucks, the puzzles stink, combat is mindless even on harder difficulties.

think i'm gonna need mary jane's help to finish this one.

Grief.exe

Thanks for all the information guys!

DMC is good. Most complains about the came from dante's new look and maybe the light/dark weapon style shit... but it's a good game.

The story is a joke, but I thought the majority of complaints from series fans stemmed around the shallow combat.

and since you have a ps3, I would also suggest god hand from psn (ps2 classic), it's a different kind of game than the other fast pace action games though, but it's incredibly fun and unique.

I was trying to track down a copy of God Hand at GameStop actually. They are having a 75% off PS2 sale.

Levyne

Banned
Damn, this thread is already trucking along.

I liked DmC, having so many weapons to swap to and from freely without opening up a menu was pretty damn great.

Wok

Jonathan Blow gets angry so fast on Twitter. The game is
La-Mulana

V3vkgZU.png
rlNeepq.png

donny2112

Steam showed up on my phone, when I didn't turn it on. Turns out a game on my wishlist was on sale for a % I wanted it at, used Wallet money, bought game, turned Steam back off on my phone. First time I can recall it turning itself on before. Is that new?

Jonathan Blow gets angry so fast on Twitter. The game is
La-Mulana

This game can make even the most patient person get angry. Once I accepted the lack of jump control and that some rooms conect in a non logical way I started to have fun, though I still need to come back and finish the game.

denx

I shouldn't be up this late at night, but Arkham City has me hooked.

Also, yay new thread!

yo JaseC that avatar is too good, don't change it.

If I liked MGR, Ninja Gaiden, and DMC3/4 will I like DMC? Or will I feel disappointed?

DmC is a competent action game with some absolutely amazing world art and some truly cringe-worthy dialogue and questionable design choices. So it's kind of like every other game Ninja Theory has made to date. How questionable a take it is on the Devil May Cry series depends on who you ask. Devil May Cry always had a playful absurdity to its story and cutscenes, maybe unintentional in the first game but by DMC3 they kind of reveled in it. DmC's plot is first year art student political and edgy. Plus it's kind of dumb and pretty crass. But who plays Devil May Cry for its story?

DmC has what is likely the most complex and well implemented combat system that Ninja Theory has made to date. So it's better than Heavenly Sword and Enslaved. The problem with the combat in DmC is that it is much more limited because of a certain design choice. On top of Donte's normal weapons you gain angelic and demonic weapons, these are used to fight angelic and demonic enemies. The problem is that these angelic and demonic enemies are only affected by their weapon type. What this does is functionally limit the kinds of combos you can use, it limits the sandbox of the Devil May Cry series, its combat system. And then there's how uninspired some of the bossfights are. The visual design is usually incredibly inventive but the game design is relatively simple and limited.

It's not as bad as Devil May Cry 2 (that fucking helicopter rooftop battle) that game was straight up broken and DmC isn't but I'd argue that DmC is not as good as any of the other entries in the series. It feels like a step back from Devil May Cry 4.

I'm a fan of the Devil May Cry series and I gave DmC a shot despite some reservations. Initially I quite liked the game but the more I played the more it began to feel like a chore. I haven't beaten it yet, I got about seven hours in, roughly halfway through, before I kind of lost motivation to keep playing. I still have it installed and intend to beat it but DmC isn't exactly on the top of my to-do list.

"@icculus Are there any games that actually have native support yet? One that we can use as a reference? Even Valve games don’t have it yet…"

See, this is what I was talking about.

Vargavinter

Im caught in a downward spiral, where i buy games thats on sale because i know i will play them later. But then i get a guilty conscious for spending so much money and dont play them so i sit down and try to decide what to play and i realise that i have to many games and dont know where to start so i fall back to play games you cant finish like MMO's. And then i get back to buy more games....

Im caught in a downward spiral, where i buy games thats on sale because i know i will play them later. But then i get a guilty conscious for spending so much money and dont play them so i sit down and try to decide what to play and i realise that i have to many games and dont know where to start so i fall back to play games you cant finish like MMO's. And then i get back to buy more games....
I am absolutely strict with myself on this: no buying a new game if i have a backlog >1 per platform - and i plan upcoming releases into it too...

so i have saints row 4 on 360, Witcher 2 on pc, and ryse on xbo in the backlog.

Vargavinter

I am absolutely strict with myself on this: no buying a new game if i have a backlog >1 per platform - and i plan upcoming releases into it too...

so i have saints row 4 on 360, Witcher 2 on pc, and ryse on xbo in the backlog.
Im having a real hard time not to buy a game thats on sale, because i know that i will want to play it later and then i might have to pay more for it. Wish i had your self restrain.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here are the few of the recently-greenlit games that have been in bundles (I forgot to do this the other day):

I'm fashionably late to this, but as per the IGBW here are the games that have been in bundles:

Block Story
- Flying New Year Bundle
- The Debut 4 Bundle (Indie Royale)

Inverto
- Build a Greenlight Bundle 4 (Groupees)
- IndieGameStand

Love+
- IndieGameStand
- Retro Groupee

yo JaseC that avatar is too good, don't change it.
don't change your avatar.
I agree, best one yet.

As history will indicate, I can't make any promises, but we'll see how long this one lasts. ;)

Knurek

But did you download them? Then you'll see the horror that is Origin.

Didn't have any problems with KoA or Mass Effect games, and each of these was a 80+ hours endeavour.

It irks me that Danmaku Unlimited 2 still hasn't made the cut on Greenlight.

Oh yes, maybe the dev would fix bugs in PC port if it got on Steam? The config changes not saving between sessions is pretty annoying.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OS3874XVC is probably the only reason I own The Saboteur as there's a good chance that I otherwise would've decided to wait optimistically for this.

NZNova

Started playing some Payday 2 recently with a bunch of pals. Damn, this game is pretty tough! It seems at low levels you just don't have the tools to do heists stealthily, since you can't really eliminate many guards and you're so easily detected by cameras and stuff. Fun, but things go sideways real fast on nearly every heist so far.

Phinor

Dark Souls is not even hard.

This just reminded of my struggles. Not with Dark Souls, that's a piece of cake compared to MGR on normal difficulty. I will never ever learn to parry in either game but guess which game is beatable without parry and which becomes pretty damn hard early on. I seem to be pretty damn terrible in most of these Japanese action games. I want to play them but I struggle with my reflexes. Dark Souls in comparison doesn't require that kind of rapid attention to every little thing that happens in the game and I wouldn't even classify it as an action game.

Maybe Giant Bomb saves me and runs through MGR so that I don't have to struggggggle.

Hasney

My copy of Prey came. I was surprised to see that it was an original boxed copy and not one of the budget ranges. I like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom