• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

What
da
fuck
UE3?
2014-03-04_000014eskm.jpg

2014-03-04_00002iusk5.jpg

Arthea

You can change the action buttons, but not the movement controls. And I'm not sure why you'd want to, but yeah, you can use keyboard controls.

Ya, then it's OK in my book. Somehow on PC controllers are horrible for fighting games, a keyboard is better, if you can map it your way.

Relax. Some people won't like RE4 at all, just learn to live with that. I really like the game (especially the Wii version) but if some don't find the appeal that's perfectly fine.

Leaving that aside: Holy crap guys. Faster Than Light is just awesome. And by that I mean seriously awesome. Micromanagment meets strategy + hectic shooting action and some RPG elements thrown in as well. It works so well.

I feel horrible for even doubting if this game was any good.

7 hours to go for the next HIB. It will be hard to top #11 but then again anything could happen.

FTL update: I was just about to reach Sector 8 (easy difficulty) but couldn't escape the rebel fleet. One of the routes I chose didn't create a bridge to the exit so I had to backtrack straight into the danger zone 3 times, lol.

Incredible game. A complete steal for $3.39.

I'm now torn between FTL and OWH; both are highly addictive and almost put me in a coin toss situation just to decide which one to play.

:D

Don't feel horrible; just enjoy the AWESOME! :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ya, then it's OK in my book. Somehow on PC controllers are horrible for fighting games, a keyboard is better, if you can map it your way.

I'm...not sure I'd agree, seeing as you have plenty of other options besides 360 controllers that are far better suited to fighters (PS3/PS4 controller, arcade stick, etc), but if that's your preference, then go for it I suppose.

Toy Soldiers: Complete is going to have an altered expanded version of Toy Soldiers 1. I believe they are going to be adding the commandos and barrages mechanic into the 1st game.

They are also considering steam workshop support.

Arthea

I'm...not sure I'd agree, seeing as you have plenty of other options besides 360 controllers that are far better suited to fighters (PS3/PS4 controller, arcade stick, etc), but if that's your preference, then go for it I suppose.

I don't have arcade stick, so ya, a keyboard for me.
Anyway, it might have sense to write to devs, may be they can patch it in, I mean for customization of movement controllers too, if enough people want it.

some +1's for your libraries
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Painkiller Black -- MB-6DA2277ABD635620 - Taken by Seraphis Cain
Marlow Briggs -- MB-227354F23D98800A - Taken by Anteater
English Country Tune -- MB-8BA527880A3DA74E - Taken by nature boy
Unmechanical -- MB-04D4C82C1DFC8694 - Taken by bobnowhere
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-EFDDA0B8530E1C3D - Taken by Mleugie
Gettysburg Armored Warfare -- MB-D3E0D5656557D508 - Taken by Saty
Vox -- MB-D1E3636D15C31C5D - Taken by trailmix16

FloatOn

Toy Soldiers: Complete is going to have an altered expanded version of Toy Soldiers 1. I believe they are going to be adding the commandos and barrages mechanic into the 1st game.

They are also considering steam workshop support.

what happens to the people that already own toy soldiers?

I haven't played it yet.

the vanguard princess card market is maybe the first one I've seen that doesn't nosedive to 10 cents. Proof that perverts stick together.

Alright, here's the rest. ModBot keys are unused.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ride em Low -- MB-05C091C53ABE69D4 - Taken by Catshade
Postal -- MB-762B0C02D88DBCDC - Taken by Ingueferroque
Love -- MB-D099EA7D783FE7D1 - Taken by PriitV
Fortix 2 -- MB-A70333130605AAD3 - Taken by aku:jiki
Bunch of Heroes -- MB-09CC016C0807D368 - Taken by Evrain
Particulars -- MB-76B926C31E7782AD - Taken by dave is ok
Megabyte Punch -- MB-7789EBFE1649AB00 - Taken by Dusk Golem
Ring Runner Flight of the Sages -- MB-92C6F706A56F63FF - Taken by wazoo
Critical Mass -- MB-580B14FEF2B0EBDD - Taken by _hekk05
Hacker Evolution -- MB-608FE3B8ACA7A494
Gun Monkeys -- MB-B32CC8DB7F364841 - Taken by koma

These here however might be or not so they're free for all. Quote this message to see their respective code in e-mail tags.

The 39 Steps
Depths of Peril
Mini Motor Racing EVO
Dead Pixels
Anodyne
Bleed
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold
Prime World: Defenders

PriitV

Hey guys, remember OnLive? A little birdie once again tells me that it's going to get an integration with Steam, for a monthly payment you could play all your steam games from the cloud, with big picture support and what have you, even the friend list would carry over apparently.

what happens to the people that already own toy soldiers?

I haven't played it yet.

I'm not sure. I think you'll have to buy it again, though maybe they implement a discount of some sort for owning the first one.

I've got both on pc. So far Complete only contains the Cold War game. Its in ealy access since they are fixing bugs and tweaking the World War 1 game to contain those mechanics, but I doubt they'll patch the original release.

the vanguard princess card market is maybe the first one I've seen that doesn't nosedive to 10 cents. Proof that perverts stick together.

Agarest cards are still 50p lol. The backgrounds of the girls are actually £2+! So yeah, perverts stick together :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I've been playing BlackSoul Extended Edition (Steam keys out now for those who bought Bundle of the Damned 2 from Groupees) for the last 6 hours.

BlackSoul Extended Edition is an old-school style survival-horror game made by two brothers from Italy. It originally released on Desura in October of last year, but for the Steam release they have made an 'Extended Edition', which to my knowledge I don't know what it extends, its main features is fixing some bugs, speeding up the main character and enemies walking speed a bit, and adding a new camera mode so you can play the game with a behind-the-shoulder style camera rather than just a fixed-camera angle style (can choose which to play and switch anytime in game).

I was hearing some extremely polarizing opinions on the game before playing, so thought I might leave some of my own here. So, some opinions.

header_292x136.jpg

The first thing that you'll have to accept about the game is that it's small-budget, small team game. It is very rough around the edges. I didn't actually experience any glitches, and the game doesn't look horrible (some of the environments actually look rather nice), but the animations are kind of wonky and I experienced a few crashes with my time in the game. But to the credit of the developers, they have been supporting and updating the title since release, according to a friend who played the game since it first came out and said they'd improved a lot of it since release, and have been responsive on their forums. They say that they'll continue updating the game, and there current goals are to upgrade some of the textures of the game, lower the loading times, and make the animations better.

But if you can accept some rough-around-the-edges things, the game was actually better than I expected, for the most part. It's not an A-class classic-styled survival-horror game like the Resident Evil or Silent Hill series, for example, but it's better in my opinion than a lot of the B and C Tier survival-horror games from the 90s and early 2000s. But it does wear its inspirations on its sleeves at times. There are two scares that have happened that were ripped straight from Resident Evil, and one puzzle I encountered is that fucking piano puzzle from Silent Hill 1, just changed a bit (I really didn't like SH1's piano puzzle). But the game has limited supplies, puzzles, and the sort of thing you expect.

The combat is okay. I find it works a lot better in RE4 style camera than fixed angles, so often will switch the camera for combat sequences. But the fixed-camera origin of the game still shows in this mode, as for example, the enemies don't have weakpoints, so hitting their head equates to the same as hitting their body. But the game isn't hugely combat focused (all enemies are skippable), so it wasn't a huge con for me personally with the mindset it's a survival-horror game and that the behind-the-shoulder camera was added in later to the fixed camera-angles, and it does help at times.

The downside to combat is that, so far, 6 hours in, I've only encountered Zombies. No other types of enemies. There's slow zombies, medium-speed zombies, and sprinting zombies. Based on the character model, some models have more health, some have less, and the faster they are the generally less health they have. I do think the game could benefit from more types of enemies than just zombies, though, but not sure if some other enemy comes into the game later.

Another thing to get adjusted to is if a zombie bites you, you get 'infected', which is like a poison status, and ever-so-slowly drains at your health until you use an antidote. But then sometimes its good to stay infected for a while (as it drains health really slowly) to not waste your antidotes in case you just get bitten again. Using guns can help to stop biting, but you also have a crowbar, which is pretty handy and useful, but of course risks them being close in to bite you. Weapons I've found so far are a handgun, magnum, and crowbar.

ss_b2093335266e4e77160faf4e799342fcc880903a.600x338.jpg

Apparently this game is very long. I'm told it's about 12-16 hours long, which I might believe as I'm 6 hours in and I haven't been to most of the places in the Steam screenshots on the Steam store page yet. There's been three main locations so far though, a small cabin, a graveyard, and I'm currently in an expansive mansion. Generally each area has been better than the last, though the Graveyard might have gone on a bit too long for its own good (I was there for about three hours, but I did have to redo a section as I had crashed somewhere without saving for a while, though that was on me as you can mostly save anytime you want by pausing the game and saving).

The mansion has been the best location so far, and in my opinion the game has picked-up a lot since I got there. More scares ( a few actually got me), atmosphere, very pretty looking, and more puzzles. A few puzzles are brain scratchers, though I noticed for the two hardest puzzles so far there was a 'help' option available to make the game do the puzzle for you. This wasn't for all puzzles, just the two puzzles which I definitely do think were the hardest (one of them was that fucking Silent Hill 1-inspired Piano Puzzle).

The story has been interesting, actually. The character doesn't speak, at least out-loud, but there's a sort of zombie Apocalypse story that's been building up in diaries that I've been reading, which have been both rather well written and interesting to read. I do find myself curious to see where it's going, so that's a plus.

Also the music is actually really good. Like, a lot better than I was expecting. Definitely helps the mood a lot. There's a couple songs that sound like they were more than a little inspired by a few particular Resident Evil and Silent Hill songs (one particular song stands out, that sounds very similar to a particular RPD Station song in Resident Evil 2), but that's not to discredit the fantastic score here. It fits the mood, adds a lot, and the soundtrack has had more songs than I was anticipating as well.

I can't find many of the tracks on YouTube right now, but here's the main theme, as an example:

BlackSouls Main Theme

ss_51d7195b141760060d837b082253adaaa64be11d.600x338.jpg

So far, my overall opinions is that it's an alright to good game. There's some definite flaws showing here, things like the game crashing occasionally and the very limited enemy (singular) selection so far being my biggest mentions. But I am actually enjoying myself, more than I expected myself too. I do find myself thinking I'll be going back to it in the near future, and have the drive to finish it, so that's a good thing. And a few elements it has down very well, music, environments, and a fairly interesting, not wholly original, but still enjoyable story so far told through files.

I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but if you're a gamer with some tolerance for flaws, a bit of patience, and enjoy old-school style horror games (especially if you enjoy not just the best-of-the-best, but also B-Tier and C-Tier entries), there is definitely things to like here. I'll leave full impressions when I'm finished with the game, but thought it was worth getting my thoughts out about this one as its had some polarizing response.

Hey guys, remember OnLive? A little birdie once again tells me that it's going to get an integration with Steam, for a monthly payment you could play all your steam games from the cloud, with big picture support and what have you, even the friend list would carry over apparently.

hmmm

doesn't OnLive suck?

also I thought they closed down?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well crap. Now I know that I REALLY want Ring Runner now. Didn't even know what it was before I saw the giveaway, but now that I've looked into it, it looks AMAZING. Hopefully it pops up in a bundle or something soon.

EDIT: Oh, shit, it's in a bundle now. Hmm, might have to think about that...maybe I'll wait and see what the new HB is first.

Accidentally bought it before realizing that I had it through Groupees!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vanguard Princess -- MB-3308EE0CF07C8443 - Taken by Myshkin. 11 entrants total.

t1393943633z1.png

Thanks for Postal, Glass Rebel!

Aerocrane

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The 39 Steps -- MB-4FC8F06C3FA24A15 - Taken by Myshkin. 2 entrants total.
Particulars -- MB-F4289FE538BECAF8 - Taken by spindoctor. 3 entrants total.
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-37FAAAFC912D7367 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.
Depths of Peril -- MB-EFA7547510AD34E0 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 4 entrants total.
Ittle Dew -- MB-F62538E7E59F8679 - Taken by BinaryPork2737. 10 entrants total.
The Whispered World -- MB-E3ED203AFE1594AC - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 3 entrants total.
Angelica Weaver Catch Me When You Can -- MB-7239FD44FD872DFC - Taken by Stumpokapow. 1 entrants total.

t1393953443z1.png
I bought Be Mine 9 for Eador and Mini Motor Racing Evo and forgot about the other keys. I wasn't really interested in any of the other games in the bundle, so here they are.

PriitV

Apparently the service will be named Cloudlift and at launch few select games will be accessible.
There's a google cache of the support forums - http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...?8-OnLive-CloudLift-Games&hl=en&gl=us&strip=1

I remember I bought Cherry Tree High at release and when it got cards almost no one had the Game. I could sell each card for like 2-3$.

Then the doujin-bundle had it and the cards were like 20cents.

I bought the game during 2012 Winter sale and later when the cards were added the game basically payed me. The good old days of selling cards at high prices are gone though.

Evrain

Alright, here's the rest. ModBot keys are unused.

These here however might be or not so they're free for all. Quote this message to see their respective code in e-mail tags.

The 39 Steps
Depths of Peril
Mini Motor Racing EVO
Dead Pixels
Anodyne
Bleed
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold
Prime World: Defenders
Thanks to Glass Rebel for Bunch of Heroes, unfortunately I pasted the wrong ModBot code, so if anyone wants it, just shoot a PM and I will forward the ModBot PM :)

Btw. anyone knows whats the status of Suguri Collection? It has been greenlit for about half a year, but no one on the greenlight page (Rockin Android) seemed to even acknowledge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom