• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished up almost 100% of Batman: Arkham Origins (story mode) today; I only have 2 worst nightmare challenges remaining... the rest of the achievements for single player are the ones for obtaining all the medals in each of the challenges (save training) new game+, and I am the night... not sure if I'll go for those or not beyond getting my two remaining worst nightmare challenges done.

Now... what to play next?

Just finished up almost 100% of Batman: Arkham Origins (story mode) today; I only have 2 worst nightmare challenges remaining... the rest of the achievements for single player are the ones for obtaining all the medals in each of the challenges (save training) new game+, and I am the night... not sure if I'll go for those or not beyond getting my two remaining worst nightmare challenges done.

Now... what to play next?

Start thief, to improve your ninja skills.
OR Strider for fighting skills
awrmygR_460sa.gif

Start thief, to improve your ninja skills.
OR Strider for fighting skills
awrmygR_460sa.gif

Already 100% Strider.
I did not think it was a good game. One of the few games to actually get a thumbs down from me on Steam reviews.

Don't own Thi4f.

Maybe South Park since it's supposed to be shortish....

Garcia

it's the worst game I played last year by far

but some people like it

I'll play it later this week (PS3). I've placed my expectations pretty low since the beginning, for all I kept hearing when it got released was nothing but "great and fun to play" but that's it.

As a Tomb Raider game however I'm almost certain it will be a huge disappointment.

FloatOn

I didn't burn myself out on shitty cinematic action games so I actually didn't mind tomb raider from a gameplay perspective too bad but salsa nailed it when he said something about it having the worst story ever. It's like a bad syfy channel movie.

I'll play it later this week (PS3). I've placed my expectations pretty low since the beginning, for all I kept hearing when it got released it's nothing but "great and fun to play" but that's it.

As a Tomb Raider game however I'm almost certain it will be a huge disappointment.

It was easily the most fun I've ever had with a Tomb Raider game outside of Lara Croft and the Guardian of LIght. And I liked it better than that too. :p

I didn't burn myself out on shitty cinematic action games so I actually didn't mind tomb raider from a gameplay perspective too bad but salsa nailed it when he said something about it having the worst story ever. It's like a bad syfy channel movie.

And yet it's still better than half the crap out there today and better than a lot of similar games in the same genre, especially those that are well loved by the "general" gaming population.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I want to give a big thanks to Kevin1025 for gifting me the Giana Sisters DLC. Thanks a lot man :)

Oh, and I also want to mention that the South Park game is awesome. I'm only 2 hours in and I can say already it is fantastic. So far, the writing is as good as some of the show's best episodes, and the combat reminds me a lot of the first 2 Paper Marios (which is a good thing in my book, since that's my favorite Nintendo franchise).

I also finished Arkham City, rushing through the final missions so I could jump into SP as soon as possible. That may be the reason I got a bit tired of it by the end, but I'd like to come back to try the stuff I'm missing and the Harley Quinn's Revenge missions.

JustinBB7

A normal 360 controller is still pretty good for PC right? I'm pretty much 100% keyboard/mouse but for games like Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us and South Park a controller might be handy. I like playing most games better on my monitor but those games I play on my TV, which is connected to my computer so I run big picture mode and play those kinda games on that.

Kinda wanted to wait on Steams own controller but that might be a while and I saw a 360 controller for 35 euros. Do I need anything else (programs or something) when I get one of those?

Levyne

Banned
Doubt I will replay dark souls for steam achievements, but that's cool that it is getting them.

A normal 360 controller is still pretty good for PC right? I'm pretty much 100% keyboard/mouse but for games like Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us and South Park a controller might be handy. I like playing most games better on my monitor but those games I play on my TV, which is connected to my computer so I run big picture mode and play those kinda games on that.

I still use 360. Seems awesome to me. Matching prompts in every game, compatibility, etc.

My playthroughs of Uncharted 1 and 2 had me kind of groaning at the prospects of playing Tomb Raider, but after a friend's coercion I gave it a shot.

And yeah, unlike Uncharted it's actually fun to play. Full of stupidity like the characters, plot, types of collectibles, QTE use, all that, but the general feel of the combat rises above all that and actually makes for an experience I ended up having a really good time with. The bow is just so fun, and the enemies are pretty reactive to you so they're always entertaining to engage.

It wasn't the open survival game that I wanted from the first previews, but it wasn't the bland Uncharted kind of game I expected it to be from forum chatter either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My only notable issue with Tomb Raider's combat is that the far greater precision of a mouse versus a controller makes the enemy encounters far too easy. There's little to no need to use anything but the bow due to how incredibly effortless it is to land headshots.

South Park is fantastic. That is all.

I haven't bothered using the fast travel system and I don't think I ever will -- running around South Park is just far too awesome. I do wish the battles were more difficult, though.

kevin1025

Banned
I want to give a big thanks to Kevin1025 for gifting me the Giana Sisters DLC. Thanks a lot man :)

Oh, and I also want to mention that the South Park game is awesome. I'm only 2 hours in and I can say already it is fantastic. So far, the writing is as good as some of the show's best episodes, and the combat reminds me a lot of the first 2 Paper Marios (which is a good thing in my book, since that's my favorite Nintendo franchise).

I also finished Arkham City, rushing through the final missions so I could jump into SP as soon as possible. That may be the reason I got a bit tired of it by the end, but I'd like to come back to try the stuff I'm missing and the Harley Quinn's Revenge missions.

You're very welcome!

South Park is incredible. I'm extremely surprised at how perfectly it captures the show, and also how well it holds up. I figured it might suffer from small chunks to enjoy it fully or so it doesn't lose its luster, but playing it for extended periods of time is a whole lot of fun.

Grief.exe

When this happens I will have no choice but to play through it for the 5th time.

We will have to set up a GAF share for the weapons achievement.

wow how did i miss this

that's a megaton i think?

like steamworks confirmed?

Ace Combat has been confirmed to dropping Steamworks, Bandai has committed to fixing its games. The Dark Souls update came within minutes of an update to the Ace Combat registry.
Same team may be working on both games.

I still use 360. Seems awesome to me. Matching prompts in every game, compatibility, etc.
Matching prompts are a funny thing to me, I mean controller layouts are largely homogeneous, so when you see "A" you know to press the bottom face button. I'm assuming you don't actually look down on your controller and try to spot the corresponding button, but it still helps me out mentally. Playing with my DS3 via xinput wrapper and there's still that microsecond of conversion going on in my mind when I see a prompt and press the analogous button.

mannerbot

Doubt I will replay dark souls for steam achievements, but that's cool that it is getting them.

Even if the GFWL saves transfer I guess you'd probably have to play it again to unlock the story achievements. I'd 100% the game again regardless though, don't think it would really take that long at this point (plus still no Dark Souls 2 PC release date...).

I've been using the "5 minute rule" and "30 minute rule" for going through my backlog lately.

If a game can't hold my interest for 5 minutes, it goes to the Never Playing Again pile.

If a game can hold my interest for more than 5 minutes, but after 30 minutes I've already seen whatever it has to offer, it goes to the Never Playing Again pile.

A quick look at the casualties thus far:
3079 - Block action RPG: I think I just hate the mechanics of block-games. The jumping, the movement, the hit-detection, nothing works for me.

Astro Tripper - I play a lot of shootemups. So many in fact that I can determine how much they suck in less than a minute. This game kinda sucks.

Dark Sector - Played through this game on the 360 way back when, didn't hate it. Silly me for thinking this game would be better on the PC, somehow it's actually worse.

Eldritch - Right...a block-game....yeah.

Influx - Roll a ball around and solve puzzles. Not sure how this survived the 5 minute rule.

Insecticide part 1 - A shooter-platformer..by gamecock. I heard bad things about these guys but I gave it a shot anyway....oof. It's not fun shooting enemies, the heroine has a lousy voice-actress, and the platforming sucks. I think it passed the 5 minute rule only because of cutscenes.

Mutant Mudds Deluxe - Actually I played this game for over an hour. I've seen more than enough though.

Sideway - Ooh this game was so close! 28 minutes... All style, no substance, and who censors rap lyrics anyway?

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 episodes 1 & 2 - Yikes. I couldn't get more than a couple stages through either game, and I've played most of the other 2D Sonics to death. Maybe that was the problem? Whatever. Shit's vile like shit.

Space Pirates and Zombies - Not sure how I played this game for 74 minutes. I must have fallen asleep. Probably the least interesting game I've ever played.

Tank Universal - Well it was fun for 20 minutes, maybe it could have been for 20 more...30, 40, 100? Yeah no thanks.

Velvet Assassin - Errmm....wow. This was a mistake.

Retrovirus - Is somehow less fun than getting rid of real computer viruses.

Thank goodness most everything here was purchased through bundles.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Well I happen to have an extra copy of South Park PC. Debating whether to put the raffle in this thread or the South Park OT. I'm leaning towards this one.

mannerbot

Duh. Too tired, not sure why I thought it had to stay in one thread:/

Raffle coming shortly.

Yeah, it'll only automatically edit your post to show the winner in one thread (this one by default), but you can certainly post the quote in multiple threads. Already have the game so I won't be entering but you're the best! 8)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 episodes 1 & 2 - Yikes. I couldn't get more than a couple stages through either game, and I've played most of the other 2D Sonics to death. Maybe that was the problem? Whatever. Shit's vile like shit.

Sonic 4 was such a huge disappointment. Especially since it was an episodic game, so they could have fixed the problems of the first episode, but chose instead to ignore the complaints of users.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You're very welcome!

South Park is incredible. I'm extremely surprised at how perfectly it captures the show, and also how well it holds up. I figured it might suffer from small chunks to enjoy it fully or so it doesn't lose its luster, but playing it for extended periods of time is a whole lot of fun.
This is so true. It reminds me a lot of "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers", which is one of my favorite episodes. I hope it doesn't get worse somewhere down the line, because it can very well be my GOTY. Can't speak about it holding up, since I have only played it for 2 hours. But I'm glad to hear it doesn't get boring in long sessions.

Matching prompts are a funny thing to me, I mean controller layouts are largely homogeneous, so when you see "A" you know to press the bottom face button. I'm assuming you don't actually look down on your controller and try to spot the corresponding button, but it still helps me out mentally. Playing with my DS3 via xinput wrapper and there's still that microsecond of conversion going on in my mind when I see a prompt and press the analogous button.
I sometimes do this. The face buttons layout in 3DS and the Xbox 360 controller are mortal enemies, and I always get confused when jumping to the other after a long session with one of them.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
South Park PC Giveaway
2 hours in and this game is awesome

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

South Park: The Stick of Truth -- MB-897AC6E742937770 - Taken by Caerith. 56 entrants total.

t1394082236z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom