• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

gta 4 runs like poo and looks like poo with vaseline filter, is that normal

gtaiv_2014_03_06_15_1tgc4m.jpg
lowering the graphical settings just makes it look progressively worse so I'm not sure how shit does it have to look for it to run at decent framerate.

lowering the graphical settings just makes it look progressively worse so I'm not sure how shit does it have to look for it to run at decent framerate.

Yeah that looks about right with vanilla. And how to make it run decent? Except having a beefy rig? You simply don't.

Oreoleo

You can press 'P' if I recall correctly to turn vaseline filter on/off.

Without a proper AA solution though I find it looks better with vaseline on.

Must be my N64 blurry texture roots.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, GTAIV is the posterchild for bad console ports.

Most games don't show you sony controller button prompts though. That pisses me off

Doesn't bother me. My brain has been playing PS consoles and x360 long enough to know the correlation -- besides, you can mod some games I think (I know you used to be able to mod RE4) and a lot of games are doing better QTE placement now so that the button prompt on the screen gives you an idea of which button you should push without looking.

Besides, graphical button prompts are no reason to use a lesser controller. ;)

Side note: do we know how the Steam Controller's buttons will be labelled?
Those button prompts might not match either...

Goat Simulator Beta is coming us April 1st. http://www.goat-simulator.com/

Seems like it could be a cruel April Fool's Joke. :(

There were some pretty impressive mods for GTA 4 that made it look impressive, if I recall correctly... I'll see if I can find the one that I was most impressed by quickly (it had it's own thread on GAF).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436159

zkylon

zkylewd
riki is the cutest thing ever, even if his voice has that weird ass accent I can't really trace.

slowly moving forward, I wish juju would just tell me where the fuck to find the items to upgrade colony 6, base building is one of my favorite features ever in rpgs (suikoden 2 being prolly top 5 jrpg for me) and I just can't get my freaking houses to lvl 1 even, lol.

it's weird how this game manages to have a lot of hand-holdy arrow pointing where you need to go but sidequests are sometimes amazingly obtuse. like kill x dude in the maklas forest. that forest pretty fucking huge man, a small hint of where would be nice... maybe actually just mark it on my map, it's not gonna make it much more interesting if I have to walk all over the place to find it :/

I'm kinda happy there's this character that looks kind of like chaos from xenosaga since it already helps my head run wild with crazy theories on how these universes are connected. even if it's just fanservice or whatever that sort of thing really goes a long way towards keeping me interested, specially since the actual story is kinda dull.

also I really wish the main character was dunban. no hate for shulk but he seems ill-suited for the hero role, like he's lacking any shred of a strong personality. dunban and reyn on the other hand are total bros.

Aaron

Take this scene in particular (spoiler warning)
When the nerd bites it I realize it was all over a fucking wrench and a screwdriver, the two most common tools in the world yet it took a daring trip through a sinking ship to find them.
http://i.minus.com/iq1AGq5Zq4vSu.jpg
Fuck you
Alex......
This scene was so very, very strange. At this point, Lara is the most prolific serial killer in history, but suddenly she turns into a little lost lamb that needs a wimpy guy with a shitty tattoo to protect her. Maybe I can understand the writer not knowing how shitty her characters and story are, but this scene makes no sense in the context of anything. Why lower your main character for the sake of giving a hero moment to a shitty hacker guy who is barely in the game up to that point? It would have been better if he turned out to be a robot.

Yeah that looks about right with vanilla. And how to make it run decent? Except having a beefy rig? You simply don't.
On that note: I can play the game just fine (if you consider a stuttering all over the place as just fine), but the benchmark crashes in the exact same spot at any setting. Coming off of Sleeping Dogs or even Saint's Row 3, GTA4 is horribly disappointing, imo.

Edit: Anyone else keep seeing these? Smear/blur/whatever on the edges of the forum section buttons.
DCQbTrl.png

zkylon

zkylewd

yup it's normal

I don't really mind how it looks but it runs like shit, it's amazing how bad it runs.

if you're still gonna play it, be sure to give ballad of gay tony a chance. like the lost and the damned is pretty mhe and the main gta 4 story is pretty meh too (although I think it has its moments) but gay tony is actually really good. probably the best rockstar's ever written and like they managed to create a relationship between two characters that's believable and they actually made those characters likable in spite of all their rockstarness.

like seriously that's a monumental achievement for them

like I HATE rockstar writing

Anteater

sucks, thanks for the response

I guess I might give that mod a try, hope it doesn't kill the performance even more, but it beats having an ugly game at crappy framerate lol

Copons

CAEEEERITHHHHHHH!!!

also

DUUUUPYYYYYYY!!!!!

also

AMERICAN TIMEZONES!!!

Things I liked a lot:
- Enemy AI: I generally liked the enemy AI. There are only a few regular enemy types (guy with bow, guy with gun, guy with machinegun, guy with knife, guy with shield and sword, guy with molotov, guy with dynamite, mounted turret guy, wolf-dog), but they combine them interestingly. I generally felt like I had to move around a bit to avoid getting pincered or my cover shot out or blown up. It felt frenetic and engaging generally.

I'm mostly with you (except comparing its writing with Uncharted: it's true they both have a sub-par sci-fi plot, but at least Uncharted makes you laughs and has a good character characterization - also, I'm at the point of no return grabbing collectibles, so I probably have the most crappy stuff ahead :D ), but I'm not really fond of the enemy AI.

I've said before that I saw at least a couple of times enemies committing suicide because I went ahead of the current "battle arena". :D

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Why would Spelunky give me a level in darkness, with bees and angry shopkeepers? I know the game has "every death is preventable", but I can't survive that, no matter how good at the game I get.

Why would Spelunky give me a level in darkness, with bees and angry shopkeepers? I know the game has "every death is preventable", but I can't survive that, no matter how good at the game I get.

That's why I stopped playing the game, I felt like the game was cheating sometimes.

I made it to the ice caves

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GTA4's PC port is little more than a dump of the X360 build. Later patches improved things a tad, but chiefly for those with dual-core processors.

mannerbot

When I was going for Low Scorer (no gold achievement) I made it through dark Temple levels on multiple occasions without picking up any gold. Yes, dark levels suck, but you certainly CAN get good enough to survive a level like the one you described.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Don't the dark levels have torches? They're all about lighting as many wall torches as you can to light your way. Throwing bees in there IS a bit much, I'll admit, but you can always just try to go around the hive. Even if you have to bomb your way through the floor, it's better than trying to deal with those asshole bees.

aku:jiki

Huh, I think I broke Hero Siege or something. I had a run where I ended up with so many relics, the game couldn't even display them all. I was "stuck", in a good way, on level 2 for like 20 waves because it kept spawning crypts/dungeons and every time it did, it reset the waves so I had 4 more waves to hit another crypt and reset and stay in a loop on the very easy level 2. By the end of the game, I had 99 keys and like +1000 damage, my character was like Sonic on meth and the stream of arrows was basically a laser beam.

That was a pleasant experience! Now if I could only stop playing this unfinished and pathetically poorly balanced excuse for a game... Hate it when a game is pretty clearly a beta but is not marked as such on Steam. :mad:

Well, you did choose to piss off the shopkeepers...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
South Park unlocked for us dirty europeans? yay guess Im not sleeping after my graveyard shift afterall o_O

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Bee hive was right before the exit, even trying to bomb through from the top would have just had the bees coming at me from just one hole and I had no spiked shoes. Getting there was no problem, but bees with limited vision despite a torch is no good.

Angry shopkeeper was summoned the level before due to an exploding frog I had nothing to do with. It jumped onto a spike of it's own free will right next to the back of a shop.

Others can survive that I know, but I do believe I may have a case of melissophobia (fear of bees) that is hurting my reflexes. Hopefully that Metroid mod comes quickly.

Arthea

Huh, I think I broke Hero Siege or something. I had a run where I ended up with so many relics, the game couldn't even display them all. I was "stuck", in a good way, on level 2 for like 20 waves because it kept spawning crypts/dungeons and every time it did, it reset the waves so I had 4 more waves to hit another crypt and reset and stay in a loop on the very easy level 2. By the end of the game, I had 99 keys and like +1000 damage, my character was like Sonic on meth and the stream of arrows was basically a laser beam.

That was a pleasant experience! Now if I could only stop playing this unfinished and pathetically poorly balanced excuse for a game... Hate it when a game is pretty clearly a beta but is not marked as such on Steam. :mad:

you are complaining about this?!
It sounds awesome lol

edited:
gamersgate has Magicka and Warhammer 40k sales, not gonna even bother with posting links this time.
X-com games are on sale too but most not steam and EU and EW are not on sale for some weird reason.

mannerbot

Bee hive was right before the exit, even trying to bomb through from the top would have just had the bees coming at me from just one hole and I had no spiked shoes. Getting there was no problem, but bees with limited vision despite a torch is no good.

Angry shopkeeper was summoned the level before due to an exploding frog I had nothing to do with. It jumped onto a spike of it's own free will right next to the back of a shop.

Others can survive that I know, but I do believe I may have a case of melissophobia (fear of bees) that is hurting my reflexes. Hopefully that Metroid mod comes quickly.

Ah, well you can mod the sprites for just the bees if you want.

I find the lack of in-game customizations in South Park annoying, whenever I forget the keys, I had to use steam overlay to google them.

Ah, well you can mod the sprites for just the bees if you want.
Well, if one doesn't mind cheating, there's a much easier way to solve KenOD's situation... Gamma settings.

(Unless that was patched. I haven't played Spelunky in like a year and a half.)

you are complaining about this?!
It sounds awesome lol
Oh yeah, I had the Holy Water too, so I was essentially invincible! The only problem is that every run after this is going to feel pretty lame in comparison...

Tizoc

Having finished the 2nd chapter of Thief...I'd say I enjoy it but man I need to start looking around my area before even freakin' moving.
Shattered glass on the ground making noises that'll attract a guard on the upper floor in one area of that chapter.
For that matter WHY are there shattered glasses on certain areas in that place? Why do the guards go into immediate alert mode when you step on them? How do you know it's not one of your OWN men?
I'm not one to complain about video game logic but come the eff' on XP
ATM this game is like TR 2013 for me: I'm enjoying it but not enough for me to actually like it.

JaseC

KISS has released two more games from its back catalogue:

It is a misty evening in the year of our lord 1912. The Pattersons, a poor but proud aristocratic family of the British nobility, and some of their closest friends, arrive at the castle Malachi residence of a wealthy Romanian Count.

(Side-note: It's an FPS.)

50% off ($4.99) for the next week.

Prepare for one of the most action packed-shooters in PC gaming history! Every level is full of enemies and targets for you to destroy! You will become a soldier of the alien species and protect your home world from the forces of the Human armada.

As above.

Arthea

KISS has released two more games from its back catalogue

No cards? They don't wanna sell those then?
FPS can't be named Nosferatu, that's mean (><)

Anybody here played A Game Of Thrones - Genesis? How bad is it? Reviews are contradictory. I understand it isn't a good game, but how good GoT is it?

Relax.MX

I just finished To the Moon was a very charming ride. The script took me more than one smile. A white and unforced humor. The music is very good but hey is not a game is a story.

Any news about the next chapter of this 2 funny doctors?

JaseC

Another KISS game but this time it's Early Access:

While seeking life on a distant planet, an astronaut discovers an abandoned Russian town. He suspects his mission is a hoax until a mysterious young woman saves him from a strange and deadly phenomenon...

$12.99.

No cards? They don't wanna sell those then?

Cards require high-res art and that's probably more trouble than its worth for KISS' decade-old games. On the subject of Nosferatu, though, it was available as part of Indie Gala Dwarves and Indie Gala Halloween Mix bundles, but KISS didn't give Steam keys to those who bought the Groupees KISS 2/KISS 2 Reloaded bundles, so I wouldn't consider keys for Nosferatu to be guaranteed.

Edit: Oh, wait, KISS 2/KISS 2 Reladed included Super Killer Hornet while Retro Groupee 2 included Super Killer Hornet: Resurrection.

Wait, how can a town on a distant planet be russian? Did they manage to reveal the twist in the sales blurb?

Anybody here played A Game Of Thrones - Genesis? How bad is it? Reviews are contradictory. I understand it isn't a good game, but how good GoT is it?
I picked it up in the Nuuvem sale so I can give it a whirl later for impressions if no one else has any.

Milamber

I wanna make a prediction for GDC, MS will announce DX12 to Win8+ platforms only, Halo 1~3 HD will come to Steam, Halo 1~3 HD will be DX12 compatible only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom