• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

In addition to Sam Origins, Sam Revolution and a new IP that's been compared to Portal.
Are those anything like the last batch, when they let Vlambeer and Mommy's Best Games make a couple of games? Because that project was awesome.

(The side projects are better than the actual SS games, come at me.)

Shahadan

Because then we'd have to have a thread for every separate retailer. Much better to just list deals in here when we encounter them.

We already have a thread for Greenmangaming though, and if there were any other really relevant digital stores with good deals we probably have more than that.
Here the info is just lost among all the posts imo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are those anything like the last batch, when they let Vlambeer and Mommy's Best Games make a couple of games? Because that project was awesome.

(The side projects are better than the actual SS games, come at me.)

Origins and Revolution are indie projects, yeah. Origins is more or less a complete version of Serious Sam as it existed in its early days before Croteam decided to turn it into a franchise, while Revolution is somewhere between a remaster and a remake of TFE. The new IP is being handled internally at Croteam.

FloatOn

As of last night subterm A is finished for school. Rocking that 4.0 so far.

To celebrate I'm going to do one of three things after work:

A) get drunk and play new vegas
B) get drunk and work on my NG+ dark souls run
C) stay sober and watch a few house of cards episodes

Divius

Totally B. Do a Dark Souls drinking game. Every time you die > drink. Everytime you fail a parry/get parried > drink. etc

JaseC

That's a bit hard to parse through...

Generally speaking, anything labelled "Game Works" or "Game Possibly Works" has an official Linux release while everything else is supposed to be under the covers, such as XCOM's "Signs of Linux Support".

Option A, and I hope you have choose the Wild Wasteland perk/feat/ability/whateveritscalledingame.

Now that Far Cry 3 is done, time to jump into XCOM Declassified. Let's see if it's really as bad as Turf led on.

I don't think it will be. ;)

I 100% completed Tomb Raider (2013) today. I'm pretty torn about the game, because there's a great deal of things I liked a lot, and a great deal of things I really hated simultaneously. That's a pretty unusual reaction for me with a game.

Good shit, Stump. Glad you stuck with it. I agree with most of your thoughts, but wish the Tombs were a little bit fleshed out. I just kind of learned to ignore the story as I could tell it was getting shitty. That bow was damn satisfying though.

- Bar filling: This game is more stuffed full of bars to fill than any game series other than Assassin's Creed. You are collecting scrap. You are collecting experience. You're using experience to upgrade skills and scrap to upgrade weapons. You're collecting weapon parts. You're collecting GPS pickups. You're collecting relics (like in Uncharted, they have a little 3D Model) + most relics have a hidden thing for you to find if you rotate the model. You're collecting text diaries. Every area has something to shoot or burn or find as a per-level sort of thing. There are like 999 combat bonuses for extra experience. For a mostly fairly linear kind of action-shooter, I felt constantly stimulated with tons of shit to do.

It's weird you listed this as positive. I'd consider it as rather negative.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I want to thank thesaucetastic for The Swapper once more. Been playing quite a lot of it the last couple of day's and i'm really enjoying it. Really tight puzzle adventure and the claymation looks absolutely wonderfull. Quite challenging as well.

I have no fucking idea what the story's about, though. :p
I've got around 80 orbs, or whatever they're called, but now i'm really stuck. If I could just have one more clone...

It's weird you listed this as positive. I'd consider it as rather negative.
It's getting me interested. I love collect-a-thoning. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't know how I feel about the 4.99€ price tag compared to the iOS version but then again it seems to be a rather good upgrade...

I'm cool with it since they actually had to retool stuff supposedly, vs. telling the interface that the finger is now a mouse cursor/controller in Tiny Thief (at least I assume that was all the work put into Tiny Thief).

ArjanN

The low chaos ending is very tame. You should check out Youtube for the high chaos one. Far more dramatic and entertaining.

Agreed.

I really liked the challenge DLC as well, playing those you realize you most likely have been bumbling your way through the main game, and there's a actually quite a bit of nuance to the mechanics that's not needed to beat the regular campaign at all.

derExperte

Great, now the Steam market history lists not only what I sold and bought but also every listing I created and deleted. How about instead improving the 'My Active Listings' view so I don't have to scroll down 5 minutes to get to the stuff below?

Turfster

Which is a shame. I think it's a bigger issue in modern game design than ludonarrative dissonance. Actually it can also lead to the latter.

Agreed. I don't mind 'bars' where they're appropriate, but putting them in every single game just... doesn't work, especially if you have to think up more and more ludicrous reasons to gather them. (I'm looking at you, Ubi)

I'm cool with it since they actually had to retool stuff supposedly, vs. telling the interface that the finger is now a mouse cursor/controller in Tiny Thief (at least I assume that was all the work put into Tiny Thief).

Ah, true. I found the blog post that details the changes and it's actually pretty impressive what they're doing. Really going the extra mile as far as mobile ports are concerned.

Putting my money where my mouth is and buying this later.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I've heard good things about Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi, it's a randomized horror game that I see mentioned every once in a while in cult horror game circles. People say it's a good adaption of the classic vampire movie its based on, and like the movie, is a niche but quality work in the vampire genre. Nosferatu is the only vampire that has creeped me out, so that's a good sign for me.

But as a heads-up, I also am aware the voice acting in this game is pretty bad, and I hear there's no graphics options, and a few bugs (but not new ones, the old game was kind of buggy). Also the game is known to be kind of difficult, but with good atmosphere.

The developers say this on their forums for keys from the Indie Gala bundles:

"Please note Kiss Ltd were not responsible for any previous bundle that may have contained this game.
We are looking for who ran the previous bundle and will be happy to give them a batch of keys to route to all their customers who bought that bundle, but we cannot manage individual requests for keys.
We will advise you when we know more."

Dusk Golem

So Year Walk is supposed to be really good right?

Yes, I have heard nothing but fantastic things about it. I'm very excited, but to be honest I've heard next to nothing about the game. Which I want to keep until I played it.

But from every mention I've seen of the game, it's been outright praised, and I know in my horror cult circles they call it one of the best horror games on phones.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm a fan of Year Walk and it was an amazing surprise on mobile, but I honestly think it grew to become a little overhyped. It's a short and well-crafted game with great atmosphere that uses an uncommon mythos, but it's better go in without big expectations.

I'm curious about the changes they had to do concerning the puzzles that used the mobile features, I wonder if there's a list with all the changes somewhere.

Dusk Golem

Speaking of the Horror love which Steam is getting (which doesn't surprise me, the two most common months for horror game releases are October and March in my experience), ObsCure & ObsCure: The Aftermath should be releasing on Steam tomorrow.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So Year Walk is supposed to be really good right?

It was a great little game on iOS so assuming the port is good (and it looks likt they've worked to ensure that) I'm sure it'll be worth picking up. Not sure what the length will be though, I remember it being on the shorter side. Suppose that's reflected in the low price.

JaseC

hmm so what did I miss GAF
lol. been on Twitter - so everyone's going crazy over South Park?

The Stick That Came to Be the Truth is the perfect game for South Park fans. It's positively littered with references, old and new, obscure and obvious; that the actual RPG component of it is quite solid, if somewhat lacking in difficulty, is just the icing on the already scrumptious cake. As I said earlier, I've yet to use the fast travel system and probably never will because just running around South Park is fantastic in itself, even if you're retreading ground.

The Stick That Came to Be the Truth is the perfect game for South Park fans. It's positively littered with references, old and new, obscure and obvious; that the actual RPG component of it is quite solid, if somewhat lacking in difficulty, is just the icing on the already scrumptious cake. As I said earlier, I've yet to use the fast travel system and probably never will because just running around South Park is fantastic in itself, even if you're retreading ground.

I was just blown away by how closely they managed to replicate the look and feel of an actual south park episode. Honestly this is what they should've been making all along instead of all the crappy FPS's, Mario Kart clones, and Quiz type games. I haven't played enough to speak of the quality of the actual game though, I also think replayability might be lacking at first glance.

Why would Spelunky give me a level in darkness, with bees and angry shopkeepers? I know the game has "every death is preventable", but I can't survive that, no matter how good at the game I get.

I once had the game throw me in a dark jungle level which was a "the dead are restless" and "I hear water running" with bees.

I couldn't help but laugh when I bombed somewhere to drop through quickly and landed in the water at the bottom to be destroyed by a horde of skeleton piranha and the giant ugly fish. I had killed the queen bee with a sticky bomb too, so it took awhile to die...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom