• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Just arrived home and saw that amazing review from Dusk Golem that, in my opinion, is almost too good.

I can't wait to play Revelations, that game will probably be mine around the Steam Summer Sale as I played pretty much every recent Resident Evil game aside from this one.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just musing here, but I'm really shocked that Valve hasn't rewrote or at least re-vamped the community marketplace yet.

It's got to be making them an incredible amount of money, so you would think that adding usability features would be in their best interest. I mean, look at eBay.

There are now 13,906 total "Steam" items - trading cards, profile backgrounds, emoticons, etc. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, as there are probably just as many (or more) items for TF2, DOTA2, and CS:GO.

I'm doing what I can
getting ready for the next version of Enhanced Steam
, but I would have really thought that Valve would have fixed the market by now and made it easier for users to find exactly what they're looking for.

Just musing here, but I'm really shocked that Valve hasn't rewrote or at least re-vamped the community marketplace yet.

It's got to be making them an incredible amount of money, so you would think that adding usability features would be in their best interest. I mean, look at eBay.

There are now 13,906 total "Steam" items - trading cards, profile backgrounds, emoticons, etc. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, as there are probably just as many (or more) items for TF2, DOTA2, and CS:GO.

I'm doing what I can
getting ready for the next version of Enhanced Steam
, but I would have really thought that Valve would have fixed the market by now and made it easier for users to find exactly what they're looking for.

There is a conspiracy theory floating around at least some tf2 and dota 2 communities that they keep the marketplace intentionally confusing and hard to navigate so people just give up and use the store, whose prices are almost always higher than what the items are going for on the marketplace.

Depends on what you want. Raid mode for me personally isn't as fun as Mercs IMO.
You need to beat the story to unlock all the stages and the best element of it is by far The Ghost Ship level. It can be a bit of a grind though, but can be a lot more fun with a friend.

I don't expect to have as much fun as with RE6 Mercs but sounds like something me and my brother would enjoy for some co-op.

The only other thing to touch base on is Raid Mode, which is the replacement in this game to Mercenaries Mode. To best describe it would be to basically say imagine Mercenaries had a child with Monster Hunter, as in this mode you go through locations from the game (either alone, or with a co-op partner either locally or online) and hunt and kill monsters, get a ranking, and earn loot. Guns, mods, and the like. You can unlock a rather large variety of characters from the game, each who have their own unique skills (some better use certain weapons, some recover health over time, each has a different knifing style and melee attack, etc.), and a unique level. The level system is like an RPG, where you gain experience and gaining a level increases things like your defense and attack power. However, in an eat addition, you can select your level when selecting your character up to the point you've unlocked, so let's say I had a level 20 Jill but wanted to play with someone who was level 2, I could lower my level down to 2 to play with them a bit more fairly, and then raise it back up whenever I wanted, but not past the level I've unlocked, which is 20.

Raid Mode is absolutely addicting, and probably what will keep you coming back to this title most if you take the delve into it. There's 21 levels, and each one gets longer, more extravagant, and as they go along, start throwing in things like multiple explorable areas and even boss monsters from the campaign. On-top of this, each level has four different difficulties, and these don't just make them harder, but change the layout of each where enemies spawn, where items are, and more. But you need to finish all the stages on one difficulty to unlock the next difficulty. That is, except the 21st level, which is kind of a bonus level that's only recommended if you're maxed out. The last level is a treat in itself that you have to work hard to tackle. It's basically the entire ship from the main game turned into an open-world, enemy-infested obstacle course, with multiple ending points, multiple paths through the ship, and lots of goodies to collect, including a hidden boss exclusive to this stage. It's a lot of fun and very challenging.

Nice summary.

aku:jiki

Fucking PopCap bundle! I just lost 6 hours to Plants vs Zombies without even noticing... AGAIN! I

(I did the pre-Steam PC version, then iOS, then XBLA...)

Oh, sorry. Dr Shen is a NPC in XCOM EU and in one of the cut scenes he says "I do". I've seen it so many times that when I went to type "I do" I could hear his voice in my mind :).

Ah, now I get it. Okay. I was confused, because my Steam username is Dr Shenanigan and I'm on the SteamGAF group chat and I usually get called "Shen" or "Doc" or something like that, so it was weird to read that in here.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
There is a conspiracy theory floating around at least some tf2 and dota 2 communities that they keep the marketplace intentionally confusing and hard to navigate so people just give up and use the store, whose prices are almost always higher than what the items are going for on the marketplace.

I suppose that makes sense for things like TF2 keys and such, since Valve's profit margin jumps from 10% (on user to user transactions) to 100% (on user to Valve transactions).

But for things like trading cards, emoticons, backgrounds, etc there really isn't an alternative, especially after you've got all of your trading card drops from a particular game.

In this case, making the store as easy to use as possible is really in their best interest, as those same people that get frustrated and give up when trying to buy their TF2 keys and just use the store will experience the same frustration and just give up on trying to craft that badge...

banjoted

Thanks. Removing Undercover from my cart then.

What about Shift 2?

Sorry for asking so much.

Folk will tell you that Shift 2 is "broken" and all manner of hyperbolic stuff, but personally I love it. One of my favourite racers. No other racing sim produces the same of feeling of being strapped into a half tonne metal death machine that's constantly on the brink of a catastrophic crash. Yet it's totally fair and (nearly always) utterly masterable. I love it.

Wok

'Pure Light' Bundle from LazyGuyStudio is live, 50% Off which is $2 for the first 72 hours
http://www.lazyguysstudio.com/bundle/
  • Off-Road Drive (Steam)
  • CID the Dummy (Steam)
  • Plain Sight (Steam)
  • Infinite Loop (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Robot Riot: Hyper Edition (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Project APT (Desura)
  • Jimmy vs Zombies (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)
  • Sym (Desura + Greenlight, will get free Steam key when it gets Greenlit)

I had previously bought Sym, and while the game mechanic is interesting, the dev seems to like blinking flashing animations too much. I would recommend not playing it because of some levels which trigger nausea at a level I have never seen before.

*excellent summation of Revalaitons*

Well said sah!

I put 100 odd hours into this game on 3DS so commend you for your description of its charms :). Half of those hours were spent in Raid mode and that was entirely me playing on my own and offline. I found it far more enjoyable than RE4 Mercenaries. The only addition to your post I would make is that the single player game is actually rather re-playable; I played through it multiple times.

The only downside of the pc port for me is that I played the 3DS game to death so it will have to wait until it's really cheap in a sale for me to invest in it again.

Highlights from the game off the top of my head:

• Scanning the NPC on the beach :p.
  • "Founnnnnddddd youuuuuuu!!!"
  • "See you guys." *sniff*
Ehh, I was never one to idle for cards, but now it's telling me I have $140 just sitting there able to be cashed in...

*sigh*

Oh you satirical wag you!

Garcia

It's worked pretty effectively for me (but my use case is sharing games on another computer, not sharing games on my own computer)

I'll have to try it out myself soon enough.

What makes you say that?

In the past couple of weeks the feedback I've read both in this thread and the steam forums has been quite polarized, ranging from "good" to bad" to "not so good after all".

Again, I'll check it out as soon as I can just to get the feel of it.

bidaum

It's in the steam settings options .

naamloosrgjn7.png
Damn, my bad. I don't know how I even missed that. Thanks

Ah, now I get it. Okay. I was confused, because my Steam username is Dr Shenanigan and I'm on the SteamGAF group chat and I usually get called "Shen" or "Doc" or something like that, so it was weird to read that in here.

LOL

Oh, sorry about that :). That would have made me a tad paranoid if the roles had been reversed I think!

Good username though! In fact it has inspired me to go and change my Steam username so thanks :).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Well said sah!

I put 100 odd hours into this game on 3DS so commend you for your description of its charms :). Half of those hours were spent in Raid mode and that was entirely me playing on my own and offline. I found it far more enjoyable than RE4 Mercenaries. The only addition to your post I would make is that the single player game is actually rather re-playable; I played through it multiple times.

The only downside of the pc port for me is that I played the 3DS game to death so it will have to wait until it's really cheap in a sale for me to invest in it again.

Highlights from the game off the top of my head:

• Scanning the NPC on the beach :p.
  • "Founnnnnddddd youuuuuuu!!!"
  • "See you guys." *sniff*

Oh you satirical wag you!

It's fair, though since I have to be an evil temptress, for anyone who has played the 3DS version, the additions to the game, outside of updated graphics obviously, would be the following:

-Infernal Difficulty, which is unlocked from the start. Remixes enemy locations as well as overall more, makes scarcer items, and tougher enemies earlier in the campaign, as well as they all deliver more damage. I am glad I played it on this difficulty when I first started, though there are hurdles to overcome.
-One new enemy, which appears mainly in Infernal Mode but also in other difficulties but only sparsely. Enemy is tricky as it runs really fast and has a one-hit kill move.
-New Hidden Boss in Raid Mode's 21st Stage.
-Costumes can now be used in the campaign.
-Plus three new costumes, one new one for Chris, one for Jill, one for Keith.
-Rachel and HUNK now unlockable and playable in Raid Mode.
-A few new weapons for Raid Mode
-They changed the score system in Raid Mode. Most notable, the triple-bonus you could get in the 3DS has been changed. Accuracy affects your score less now, the three things to concern yourself with for the triple-bonus is not getting hit, all enemies killed, and being under the recommended level for a stage.

Not a huge overhaul, but some nice little things to note.

It's fair, though since I have to be an evil temptress, for anyone who has played the 3DS version, the additions to the game, outside of updated graphics obviously, would be the following:

-Infernal Difficulty, which is unlocked from the start. Remixes enemy locations as well as overall more, makes scarcer items, and tougher enemies earlier in the campaign, as well as they all deliver more damage. I am glad I played it on this difficulty when I first started, though there are hurdles to overcome.
-One new enemy, which appears mainly in Infernal Mode but also in other difficulties but only sparsely. Enemy is tricky as it runs really fast and has a one-hit kill move.
-New Hidden Boss in Raid Mode's 21st Stage.
-Costumes can now be used in the campaign.
-Plus three new costumes, one new one for Chris, one for Jill, one for Keith.
-Rachel and HUNK now unlockable and playable in Raid Mode.
-A few new weapons for Raid Mode
-They changed the score system in Raid Mode. Most notable, the triple-bonus you could get in the 3DS has been changed. Accuracy affects your score less now, the three things to concern yourself with for the triple-bonus is not getting hit, all enemies killed, and being under the recommended level for a stage.

Not a huge overhaul, but some nice little things to note.

Nice :). That will encourage me to get it earlier than I would have otherwise if it was just a port with a graphical update so thanks for that.

I do think Capcom should give you commission for all the extra sales you have encouraged though :p.

Hahaha what do you mean "nope"? No that Rogue Legacy is indeed lame or nope I want Rogue Legacy but don't own it yet?

The latter :p.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've found that when someone says something to this effect, they either greatly misunderstand the intentions of the system and/or have low-tier garbage friends.
One of my friends started playing my copy of South Park through Family Share before I even did, because I was busy trying to finish Arkham City. If that isn't the definition of the worst friend ever, then I don't know what it is.

I'm not sure whether asking Gabe to remotely format his HDD is enough punishment for his crime, or if I should be even harsher.

Wok

Okay, Steam cannot do everything:

In the future, I want to live in a virtual reality world where everything is pastel cuteness and happiness. A paradise where I can shut out everything that makes me sad. And surround myself with kind people who like me and enjoy what I enjoy. And we can build gigantic castles and create a paradise for us. A wonderful pastel happy kingdom where everyone is happy. Except it wouldn't be a kingdom, since that would mean there would be an important king. It would be a cute-dom.

[...]

Year by year, I'll be able to safely become a little shorter. I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall, now. Then, I'll be 5"5', then 5"4, then 5"3, then 5"2', then 5"1, and then finally 5 feet tall. And I'll be much happier, but I won't be satisfied there, I'll make my body 4"11', then 4"10, and then finally, 4"6 feet tall, which will probably be my final height.

[...]

And I'll have robotic and computer implants in my arms and legs and the rest of my body, and I'll eventually even find a way to have female genitalia. And before too long, I'll finally have the body of my dreams, in real life, in augmented reality, and in virtual reality. And life will be paradise.

[...]

I also hope that all nations will dissolve and all people will become one nation). I'm taking steps to have the kind of body I've always wanted, I'm going to a dermatologist and I'm going to get hair removal surgery. I'm also going to look into safe plastic surgery in general.

[...]

I know that someone is going to think my feelings are strange and weird and maybe even make fun of me, I know they've done so when I've said things like this here on NeoGAF in the past. But part of happiness is also self esteem and I'm going to be happy and confident and not self conscious about how I feel. Not caring too much what others think is not just about not allowing people to change you, but also about being able to confidently be yourself in front of others. And this is me and my happiness.

Joke aside, this is quite an interesting read if you want to grasp what depression can be.

Grief.exe

anyone thinking about buying re: revelaitons remember that good jill is still possible via mods: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=63419131&postcount=1396

qLpM9MV.jpg

like fuck yea

New Jill is quite the piece of eye candy though.

Year by year, I'll be able to safely become a little shorter. I'm 5 feet 6 inches tall, now. Then, I'll be 5"5', then 5"4, then 5"3, then 5"2', then 5"1, and then finally 5 feet tall. And I'll be much happier, but I won't be satisfied there, I'll make my body 4"11', then 4"10, and then finally, 4"6 feet tall, which will probably be my final height.

[...]

And I'll have robotic and computer implants in my arms and legs and the rest of my body, and I'll eventually even find a way to have female genitalia. And before too long, I'll finally have the body of my dreams, in real life, in augmented reality, and in virtual reality. And life will be paradise.

I'm 6'7...It's a good thing he wasn't born in my body.

Dr Dogg

Botox Jill was a bit freaky at first but the better half of the time you're looking at her arse anyway. Revelations was a good mix of original style Resi and newer action style. Shame that it was developed as a hand held game first and foremost and not tightened up for the console/PC release as the enemies are piss easy to hit and kill. But the added challenge and replayability of Raid Mode makes up for that in spades.

The latter :p.

Well the first time I put it on I played and died a few times before switching it of. When I went to look at my playtime it was already at 6 hours for what felt like 30mins at best. For me it feels like one of those rare games that death spurs you on. Plus unlike Spelunky you do gain progression after each death. Tiny acorns and all that but progression nonetheless.

Didn't know Benjamin Button had a Steam account.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
His account suicide episode still pisses me off when I think about it. Get everyone all riled up and agitated, and then never even disclose what game it was that he(?) wanted so badly out of his library.
Guess he won't be a part of his own happy world then :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom