• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha well there's always Qwazy Quint Cetcham!

It's quite different from FTL, XCOM and Spelunky but still carries the same hook. It features platforming and pathfinding elements of gameplay as well as progression through skill trees and unlocks as well as awesome boss battles. I'm not one who likes to pigeonhole games but it is like a cross between Metroid, IGA Castlevania, Cave Story and Spelunky but is still different to all of these. And the soundtrack is great to boot.

Sorry, I meant in the sense that it requires dedicated perseverance to prevail. Let's face it, my 'success' at FTL and XCOM EU is proof that bloody minded perseverance can overcome a lack of gaming skill!

Um...

What was the last game Turfster liked ;_;

Thief!

He loves that game!

I think Turfster's at his most entertaining when he's actively Not Liking something, but being in that state constantly has to put some serious mileage on a guy's psyche. :/

Turfster's adorable whatever but especially so when ranting :D.

Derrick02

it's a slippery slope turfster

GAF is a poorer place without Derrick :(.

Turfster

What was the last game Turfster liked ;_;
Uhhh... Well, I still do Spelunky daily, because that game is crack cocaine.
But seriously, I like a lot of games, I'm just a lot more vocal about the ones that I can't stand... all for your entertainment ;)

RE5 was just... horrible. A corridor to walk down to, then a bad horde mode with horrible camera controls and braindead AI companion where the whole point is just to pad gametime until 10 minutes (or whatever it was) was up and the chopper arrived?

Thief!

He loves that game!
Ohyou.gif
Thief is... sad. The only actual thiefy things about it are the sidequests, which are actually sort of kinda fun, maybe? The main storyline is a big pile of doodoo and I'm feeling no pull to continue.

Turfster's adorable whatever but especially so when ranting :D.
*blush*

I'd probably recommend working the King's Field games into this somewhere too, but if you do that on top of everything else, you may never get around to actually playing DS 1 and 2. ^^;

Was just going to recommend the King's Field series as well.

Ironically though, I've started every King's Field game with the exception of the PS2 one and never finished any of them.

Grief.exe

I just got into Chroma as well. Didn't show up in my inbox, so check junk, 'promotions,' etc.

I wonder if it will be like Nosgoth, where playing doesn't show up on your profile.

Dr Dogg

Sorry, I meant in the sense that it requires dedicated perseverance to prevail. Let's face it, my 'success' at FTL and XCOM EU is proof that bloody minded perseverance can overcome a lack of gaming skill!

Um...

Hahaha ah now I get you. Defiantly your cup of tea.

I hope that doesn't spark a 10 page thread derail talking about mate.

Vecks

I finished Binary Domain recently. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Of course, it being a 3rd person cover shooter doesn't help, as I don't care for those. Overall, just mixed feelings. It was playable, but didn't find any parts particularly fun. The characters didn't seem all that interesting either. I liked the french robot the best. I am still curious though to give it another run sometime down the line to see if the story or character interactions change depending on who I have in the group.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

Mate is awesome.

Well, real hot mate, not tereré or some of those awful canned things.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Out of curiosity, what's Dark Souls like for hackers on the PC ? I haven't played much of it on PC due to GFWL and whilst I'm waiting for the PC version of DS2 that's the only thing I'm concerned about tbh.

Have you considered playing Dark Souls now, since you already have it there, before going back to the previous games? It might make you appreciate the earlier games more and also make any technical issues easier to bear?

Although I have SS2, Bio, Bio 2 and Bio Inf in my library and intend to play them chronologically so feel free to ignore my suggestion :).

Just to put it out there, I started with Demon's after the small but hardcore fanfare. I thought the mechanics were crap, it was too obtuse, and the whole thing just needed a good glossing over. I approached it following a God of War spurt.

Then, I picked up Dark Souls. I was amazed. I thought it blew away the first and fixed all of my qualms.

Later, in a craze, I went back to Demon's. The mechanics were spot on, slightly even more so then with Dark. The obtuse concepts made sense and rewarded exploration, especially backtracking. Semi-spoiler:
The Blue Dragon, anyone?
The slowdowns were not dissimilar to those in Dark and the load times actually gave a moment of pause for reflection while often igniting some curiousity to the lore.

My conclusion? I may be that kind of person that actually prefers De to Da, but not because it was my first Souls but despite that fact.

TL;DR: Like Final Fantasy, chronological order doesn't intrinsically reward itself, and from my perspective, is not recommended.

Tenrius

RE5 was just... horrible. A corridor to walk down to, then a bad horde mode with horrible camera controls and braindead AI companion where the whole point is just to pad gametime until 10 minutes (or whatever it was) was up and the chopper arrived?

You should have probably tried it in coop instead. I thought it was pretty great, if a bit repetitive. That horde section was well-done, with a great sense of tension; especially on a high difficulty setting. I imagine a dumb companion AI would ruin all of that.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Shevas AI is fucking terrible in Resident Evil 5. I rinsed the shit out of RE5 with a friend on coop (did every achievement on 360, all collectibles etc) and then decided to try it out in single player. Oh boy the enjoyment factor was decreased ten fold in single player. It's much better in RE6 in that regard.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Elven Legacy games may finally be on their way back to Steam as the subs were updated, albeit nondescriptly, around 9 hours ago.

Edit: Oh, they're already back. The subs just don't have a store name re-attached yet.

about 5 hours ago Added store name – Elven Legacy
about 5 hours ago Changed publisher – Paradox Interactive › 1C Company

about 5 hours ago Added store name – Elven Legacy: Magic

about 5 hours ago Added store name – Elven Legacy: Ranger

about 5 hours ago Added store name – Elven Legacy: Siege

Monaco :/. It seems insistent that I play it online but I don't want to play it online. I want to play it offline and in single player like a good little ex console gamer :(. Besides, people online are either terrorists or paedophiles. Everyone knows that.

Ohyou.gif
Thief is... sad. The only actual thiefy things about it are the sidequests, which are actually sort of kinda fun, maybe? The main storyline is a big pile of doodoo and I'm feeling no pull to continue.

I think I had more fun with that game from reading your rants than you did from playing it :(.

Now you know why I'm such a hit with the laydeez ;).

"I am unanimous in that!"

This thread is one big de-rail.

Right, next game up!

EDIT:

Just to put it out there, I started with Demon's after the small but hardcore fanfare. I thought the mechanics were crap, it was too obtuse, and the whole thing just needed a good glossing over. I approached it following a God of War spurt.

Then, I picked up Dark Souls. I was amazed. I thought it blew away the first and fixed all of my qualms.

Later, in a craze, I went back to Demon's. The mechanics were spot on, slightly even more so then with Dark. The obtuse concepts made sense and rewarded exploration, especially backtracking. Semi-spoiler:
The Blue Dragon, anyone?
The slowdowns were not dissimilar to those in Dark and the load times actually gave a moment of pause for reflection while often igniting some curiousity to the lore.

My conclusion? I may be that kind of person that actually prefers De to Da, but not because it was my first Souls but despite that fact.

TL;DR: Like Final Fantasy, chronological order doesn't intrinsically reward itself, and from my perspective, is not recommended.

Good [wo]man! :D

dani_dc

Amazon.co.uk still have them new for £17 and a UK supermarket by me has a couple for around £8. Postage would probably be a killer though and to be fair the recently released and translated Design Works has all the art work at way better quality and the dev comments translated (although ENB did a great job on those.)

Well postage to Portugal isn't that expensive (though at that price point I might as well aim to the free postage at £25), but at this point I can't justify paying that much just to get the physical edition of the game.
Since the game didn't get a physical release here there's no chance of me finding it on a bargain bin either, so I'll just have to live without it.

Going to get DS2 Collectors edition, I could do without the statue but I do want the cloth map and the book.

Turfster

Monaco :/. It seems insistent that I play it online but I don't want to play it online. I want to play it offline and in single player like a good little ex console gamer :(.
Monaco is amazing in multiplayer, especially if you have someone like duckroll on the team. That moment when you hear that 'oops', you know the stealthy heist is going to turn into a frantic everyone for himself escape attempt.

I think I had more fun with that game from reading your rants than you did from playing it :(.
I'll probably finish it... sometime, but the main story really has 0 interest, because it's such a hot mess, suffering from the AAA theme park ride disease and it's telegraphing its horrible cliché-ness from the start. It was obviously rewritten from 5 wildly different versions and then badly stitched together.

Dr Dogg

"I am unanimous in that!"

This thread is one big de-rail.

Right, next game up!

Curse you fat fingers and iPad auto correct!

Well postage to Portugal isn't that expensive (though at that price point I might as well aim to the free postage at £25), but at this point I can't justify paying that much just to get the physical edition of the game.
Since the game didn't get a physical release here there's no chance of me finding it on a bargain bin either, so I'll just have to live without it.

Going to get DS2 Collectors edition, I could do without the statue but I do want the cloth map and the book.

Thankfully collectors hoover up unwanted collectables off eBay like nobodies business. Might even be able to make the majority of your outlay back by just dumping the pieces you don't want.

Seems like Miss Slocombe is here. I hope we'll get a Mr. Humphries too.

You just want someone to reply "I'm Free!" don't you? Well not on my.. oh wait?

JaseC

Continuing with the theme of returning games, the original Fallout games will be back soon as Bethesda corrected the publisher name on the apps a few hours ago.

fantomena

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Time Gentlemen Please -- MB-F6BD7D3864E39238 - Taken by confuziz
Razor2: Hidden Skies -- MB-E21322A155CB1EB1 - Taken by Darth Kupi
Blockland -- MB-60EB6E2F8B95D118 - Taken by bronson
Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny -- MB-40C44D235A07913D - Taken by jshackles
Pressure -- MB-9596ED26BF749240 - Taken by Kuroyume
Thunder Wolves -- MB-C4B5059DEF358113 - Taken by Saty
Hydrophobia Prophecy -- MB-5E57BCCB311A9129 - Taken by schuey7

Picked up RE:R. Why not.
Good choice.

1024x576.resizedimage

I take the best screenshots. Rachael is best raid mode character.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm tempted to make an opinions post on the RE series or topic for those interested getting into it, but debating with myself right now if I should or not.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Continuing with the theme of returning games, the original Fallout games will be back soon as Bethesda corrected the publisher name on the apps a few hours ago.
Huh, interesting, never realized they were gone, the first one still appears on search and everything.

JaseC

Huh, interesting, never realized they were gone, the first one still appears on search and everything.

The store pages weren't pulled but you'll notice that you can't actually purchase the games.

Grief.exe

Chroma starts in 720p for me

I found this in the ini file, don't know if it quite fixes it yet

ResX=1920
ResY=1080

Documents > My Games > Chroma > ChromaGame > Config > ChromaSystemSettings

Tesseract

Banned
I am both happy yet sad I haven't played the Dark Souls extended series yet, but I already have my floor plan laid out.

First I want to play the games that inspired the series but were made years earlier, the Shadow Tower series. Two games,they're very different but made by the same developers and in a lot of ways its systems and the like were the inspiration for the series.

I need to secure a copy of Demon Souls and play that then.

Then Dark Souls, which I already have on Steam.

And then get Dark Souls 2 in the near future.

Just need to find the right time to do this with everything else.

i recommend this order:

king's field iv --> shadow tower: abyss --> demon's souls --> dark souls --> dark souls 2

Pachimari

Why is Plants vs. Zombies not full-screen and why does it look pixelated when I'm playing it on my 1080p HDTV? There's black bars on the left and right side, and there doesn't seem to be any further options in the Option menu. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom