• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I played the first 3 or 4 hours of The Last of Us today at a friend's house. Can't wait until Valve buys Sony and Naughty Dog brings it to Steam :p

Or until the PS3 goes down in price in this country. That could work too.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I think TWD has a strong chance of being dumped come January. I also don't hold high hopes for Ice Age but it ultimately comes down to much money Acti stands to be refunded by abandoning the licence early. We should start a betting pool. :p

The pool needs to consist only of Pat and Mat keys.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of, my Pat & Mat stockpile is complete:

fiftyb5oan.jpg

This will prove to be either very wise or very stupid. Time will tell.

So what's the deal with Pat & Mat? Is that license expected to run out?

It might since it's a licensed game.

Garcia

Guys, I played the first 3 or 4 hours of The Last of Us today at a friend's house. Can't wait until Valve buys Sony and Naughty Dog brings it to Steam :p

Just be glad that this is NeoGAF's hippy spot, otherwise you'd get pitchforks all around xD.

I still haven't played TLoU but will try to fix that in the upcoming months.

1. Yes, all but one sidequest is available after the main questline.
2. Not sure
3. That's weird

Which sidequest isn't available after you beat the game? I should find out so I can make sure to do that before whenever the cutoff is.

Random: can someone link me to the "Can't stop, steam sale" A:CM gif?

Mrbob

One Finger Death Punch is so damn fun. I can't believe how fun it is considering all you do is alternating on the left and right mouse buttons. Things really get hectic and there is a variety of things to do. I recorded 5 minutes of raw footage with shadow play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmVVOWdaI4

The map is huge too. A lot of different missions to do.

One Finger Death Punch is so damn fun. I can't believe how fun it is considering all you do is alternating on the left and right mouse buttons. Things really get hectic and there is a variety of things to do. I recorded 5 minutes of raw footage with shadow play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DmVVOWdaI4

The map is huge too. A lot of different missions to do.

I've played it for 5.5 hours or so and I don't think I've done half the map yet. I do have RSI in my left and right mouse button clicking fingers though.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Don't play Arkham Origins then, you'll probably get burned out.
Even without the risk of burn out I'd skip it. It has a better story than City, but the bugs and other things like the forced skill progression system or the fact that the freeflow system had it's perfectly balanced rhythm changed and now is totally borked, really made the game the worst of the 3.

Buy All The Licensed Games™
A good advice to avoid being burned by another Deadpool situation.

I find Arkham Origin's story is a little bit silly at one point.

"Someone is behind all this manipulating us, I wonder who that guy is, I must uncover this mystery!!"

We players know it's the Joker, I mean come on, his face is on the poster! But, no, we have to play along with Batman.

"Yeah Batman? Who's that bad guy with the weird makeup?"

But better story, boss encounters and less tedious collectibles.
I don't know about the collectibles, people usually went crazy over the progression bar, they feel the urge to collect them all, you see, I don't have those, I ignore them completely.

I love the fight with Deathstroke, super intense. Firefly is pretty lame though, I feel the dev team is just lazy with this one. It's a shame that we never get to fight the rest of the assassins (well you can with Lady Shiva, but you'll have to pay extra).

Spoiler dude. Still, the twist/reveal happen pretty early in the game and doesn't seems to be main point of the story.
Everyone who has seen the trailer knows
it's the Joker

Milamber

Just finished South Park. Oh my god. Milamber you need to buy this, if only for
that princess kenny PV
I want to but still got that LEGO Marvel to finish 100% and I'm willing to bet that by then, there's at least a 25% off for South Park somewhere.

Finally finished The Witcher. It took forever.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrluchador/recommended/20900/

The Witcher is an RPG where you play as Geralt - an Alcoholic Sex Addict who solves crimes, mysteries and paranormal events. You're a stoic guy, who doesn't really know or speak much of their past and seems to have an supply of redhaired sidekicks to help you ou. Basically, you're a white haired David Duchovny.

There is a lot I liked about The Witcher; such as the narative and compact storyline that can branch in several different ways. The Alchemy system to craft potions and oils, which become almost essential as the game progresses. Books & Scroll which progress the lore beyond that of NPC interactions, and in some instances help you gain extra loot and information about monsters.

Yet, there is one aspect I just wasn't keen on at all and that (switches to silver sword strong style to fight the Trolls) was the combat system. It's an interesting idea and concept, but I just didn't get into it. There are six different fighting styles - Silver Sword and Steel Sword. Each sword has 3 different attack options - Strong, Quick & Group. You need to select the correct sword adn the correct attack option to do the optimal damage to the enemy. Silver Swords are perfect for Non-Human creatures, and Steel Sword is perfect for Human creatures. Strong style is best for large, heavy hitting enemies, while quick is best for more agile, quicker enemies. Group, naturally, is best against a large group of enemies.
On paper it sounds pretty intelligent, but in reality it was somewhat frustrating and uninspiring. At one point the battles were simply referred to 'Benny Hills', due to the hit and run nature of the fights.

http://www.twitch.tv/mrluchador/c/3845320

So it's for that reason I would suggest if you were going to play through the game to put it on the easiest settings. Hopefully then you won't be too distracted by the fights within the game and can gain an understanding of the gameworld before you jump into The Witcher 2 & 3. Sadly, just I was starting to become bored of the combat, the game felt the urge to suddenly throw in Mob Waves and Gauntlet battles (something it had not done up to this point). By the time you reach the Final Chapter, you're suddenly fight more enemies than you've ever had to fight throughout the game that had came before hand.

It's the kind of game I wish I had played on release several years ago, or in retrospect loaded up with mods before I attempted to play it several years after release to fix the issues that others seemed to share.
Overall I'm pleased I played The Witcher, as I know feel like I'll understand The Witcher 3 somewhat better (there are tiny small droplets of references to 'The Wild Hunt' lore within The Witcher), and there are some honestly good moments within the game that need to be seen first hand. It's just a shame that the combat system gets in the way.

So if you're someone who wants to get into The Witcher for Witcher 3 then this game might be for you if you slap it on easy and soak in the Game World and Lore. If you're a fan of RPGs I'm not entirely sure where I'd go with my recommendation. I guess, in the end, it's only fitting (yet sadly unable in Steam Reviews) to sit on the fence and air my neutrality on this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to but still got that LEGO Marvel to finish 100% and I'm willing to bet that by then, there's at least a 25% off for South Park somewhere.

It's currently 10% off over at Nuuvem which is more or less equivalent to a 36% discount elsewhere.

Jawmuncher

Man I really wish I had some old PC Gamer mags lying around.
Was thinking about how the ads for graphics card would always show a 3D Model that was supposed to show off the "high end" of the card. I recall some of them being absolutely hilarious in hindsight.

def sim

I finally finished A:CM and my curiosity has been satiated! It's a passable shooter that doesn't do much past kill everything in sight. The usual things you expect to be in an Aliens game are all there and there's a movie retcon towards the end that's somewhat interesting if you're into that sort of thing. The voice acting for that particular twist is notably awful. It's kind of an enjoyable mess.

def sim

The way it's worded, it almost looks like they're disappointed it's going to be on the N64 lol.

Hah. I'm sure they were sincere in their enthusiasm back in 97.

That quote is damn ridiculous. But funny nonetheless. Gotta say the biggest thing that stood out to me was Street Fighter 3 biggest disappointment of the year, how in the hell .

Despite the game being mechanically solid, it's a mainline street fighter that didn't sell very well and interest was only found in a very small, hardcore audience.

Jawmuncher

Hah. I'm sure they were sincere in their enthusiasm back in 97.

Despite the game being mechanically solid, it's a mainline street fighter that didn't sell very well and interest was only found in a very small, hardcore audience.

Now that you mention it I recall that. Was definitely a game that did better years later.
I remember that apparently all the weird characters in the game were a big turn off for a lot of people.

Tellaerin

I can't even imagine Unreal running on the N64.

I imagine it would've ended up being a loose adaptation with completely redesigned levels. I still feel a little nostalgic for the days when hardware limitations would spawn interesting variations on a game, rather than more or less faithful ports (with slightly better or worse graphics).

That quote is damn ridiculous. But funny nonetheless. Gotta say the biggest thing that stood out to me was Street Fighter 3 biggest disappointment of the year, how in the hell .

Hey, in the late 90's, that was pretty amazing 3D. Playing that on my shiny new PC with a Voodoo 2 card was a mindblowing experience. Sadly, all I can think of when I look at the pixelly face of that square-headed Skaarj now are the creepers from Minecraft. >.>

def sim

Now that you mention it I recall that. Was definitely a game that did better years later.
I remember that apparently all the weird characters in the game were a big turn off for a lot of people.

Yeah, it was a surprisingly bold move for Capcom: removing the vast majority of (even then) iconic characters from their roster to start anew. The mainstream wanted something familiar; Ryu and Ken weren't enough evidently.

Anteater

Hey, in the late 90's, that was pretty amazing 3D. Playing that on my shiny new PC with a Voodoo 2 card was a mindblowing experience. Sadly, all I can think of when I look at the pixelly face of that square-headed Skaarj now are the creepers from Minecraft. >.>

Those few years progressed so fast with 3d that the pixelly faces didn't really last long I think, I mean shenmue came out at the end of 1999 in japan, crazy stuff.

Jawmuncher

Hey, in the late 90's, that was a pretty amazing 3D. Playing that on my shiny new PC with a Voodoo 2 card was a mindblowing experience. Sadly, all I can think of when I look at the pixelly face of that square-headed Skaarj now are the creepers from Minecraft. >.>

I'm thinking back to the late 90's and realizing that I barely PC gamed at all during that time. The last PC game I remember playing is Jurassic Park: Trespasser though that game even with all it's bugs was damn impressive.

Dr Dogg

Man I really wish I had some old PC Gamer mags lying around.
Was thinking about how the ads for graphics card would always show a 3D Model that was supposed to show off the "high end" of the card. I recall some of them being absolutely hilarious in hindsight.

ASUS boxes until recently had some of the most bizarre packaging. I do wonder if their marketing department really think that people who drop £400-£500 on a graphics card are really into dragons and space marines.

Fake edit: I mean come on...

I've had so many GPU's with child-like fantasy art boxes in the past that wouldn't look out of place in Toys 'R' Us. There's some serious scope there for a thread, looking back at them through the ages.

SparkTR

I'm thinking back to the late 90's and realizing that I barely PC gamed at all during that time. The last PC game I remember playing is Jurassic Park: Trespasser though that game even with all it's bugs was damn impressive.

And that game still chugs on modern hardware, if you jack up the draw distance enough using unofficial patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom