• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

HOLY SHIT ONE FINGER DEATH PUNCH IS FUCK AWESOME!
I WAS ALL WATA!
WATA!
WATA!
WATA!
WATA!
WATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATA!

FUCK YOUR FALLING TITS, THIS IS THE GOOD SHIT RIGHT HERE!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So in the last week or so I finished Thief (2014) and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 so I thought I'd write up my thoughts to help summer sale planning/price-point purchase decision making.

Double Conclusion:
I was able to play both these games for a grand total of 33$. I knew where to set my expectations going in which I think is the most important aspect of risky game purchasing. I felt that pricepoint was pretty fair for my enjoyment level. I appreciate my friend for family sharing his LOS2 with me and I will probably gift him the DLC since I'm interested in playing and it because I owe a brother one. Hopefully these impressions help everyone weigh what they value in a game and decide whether they should bother with either game on a sale.

Great writeups to read in this thread today.

Garcia

Has this been posted yet? I just bought it. Great deal and only 2 more days left:

Tropico 4: Collector's Bundle for $3.40 USD at Nuuvem. (Activates on Steam)

Includes:
  • Tropico 4
  • Tropico 4: Modern Times
  • Tropico 4 DLC Junta
  • Tropico 4 DLC Quick-Dry-Cement
  • Tropico 4 Plantador DLC
  • Tropico 4 Megalopolis
  • Tropico 4 Pirate Heaven
  • Tropico 4 Vigilante

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Remember Me is the kind of game you'd expect a first-time developer that's not located in any kind of development hub to make. It's a science fiction auto-platformer (Uncharted, Enslaved, etc) brawler game. It's set in Neo-Paris; in the future, climate change refugees and income inequality lead to a European Civil War which ends with people using earthquake-bombs to destroy Paris. As Paris is being rebuilt (as Neo-Paris), a company called Memorize develops a technology to manipulate human memory -- erase bad memories, relive good memories, etc. Overuse of this technology leads to memoriel (pronounce mem real) illnesses, which are expensive to treat. The poor often become a sort of memory zombie outcast called a leaper (pun on the fact that they jump and on the fact that they're lepers). The corporation seems to control the government, which is never really mentioned. A group of rebels called the Errorists fight against the state / corporation. There are also a group of people called Memory Hunters, who seem to be able to steal other peoples memories or remix them. You play as a woman who wakes up with no memory inside La Bastille (rebuilt as a prison)--the Errorist leader, Edge, contacts you to break you out. You set off to recover your memories and take vengeance.

Game mechanics include a sort of climbing/traversal system which is quite fluid, light, and basically autoplatforming; brawler sequences where you have a set three or four pre-defined combo sequences and you define which type of attacks each button maps to + use special abilities; and finally a gameplay system where you "remix" the memories of others.

Combat... so, uh, I don't like brawlers. Don't like God of War, don't like Ninja Gaiden, don't like Bayonetta, etc. This is where you yell at me because my taste is shit or something, rather than understanding that different people have different tastes. The way it works in Remember Me is that X punches and Y kicks. You have the following combos: XXX, YXYXY, XYYXYY, YYYXXXXXY. You can go into a screen and set each button in a given combo to have one of the following effects: heal me; cause bonus damage; speed up the cooldown of my special abilities; amplify the effect of the previous button. Typically I'd set up one combo to heal me, and another longer combo to do damage and run the cooldown. Overall the combat felt fairly fluid... I'd compare it to sort of high-level play of the Batman games. I think people who like brawlers would probably find it shallow because the execution is so easy and varies so little throughout the game, but that's fine by me.

What doesn't work is the late-game combat. The back 25% of the game, you pretty much entirely fight electrified super-buff enemies. Any method of attacking them hurts you. As a result, you either need to attack them with an endless number of heal-me combo attacks (because the healing cancels out the hurting) or power up your special moves and use those to take them out. This wouldn't be so bad, but at the end of the game when you clear out a combat arena, they send a second wave after you, and so you've depleted your special moves from the first wave. It gets pretty frustrating. The early game bosses are really cool, the late game bosses boil down to defeating tons of trash mobs and then periodically being able to injure the main bosses. The boss of Chapter 7 (two invisible enemies that you can't hit without using a special move to stun and reveal them, 8+ trash mobs that regenerate as you defeat them and aren't impacted by the stun move; beat up trash, power up stun, use stun, attack boss, hope the trash doesn't come and interrupt your combo as you're attacking the boss because even though every normal enemy lets you dodge in the middle of a combo this boss doesn't) was a genuinely miserable experience, I died about 10 times or so.

Remixing is really cool. Basically, you hack into someone's memory. You watch the memory play out. At the end of the memory, you use the analogue stick to rewind (by circling the analogue stick, so it feels like you're editing video on tape, very cool control choice). At key points in the memory there are objects you can interact with. By altering the objects, you change the way the memory plays out. It's possible the result will be a memory bug--for example, changing someone's memory so that they die is not possible because how can you remember your own death?--or it's possible you'll lead to a desired alternate outcome. Then when you pop out of their memory, they might have a moment of clarity or conscience as their updated memory makes them reconsider their beliefs. Unfortunately you only get 3.5 of these sequences in the game and the plot never deals with how deeply disgusting it is to alter a character's memory to trick them into helping you; like, to give you an example, the first remix involves changing a woman's memory of accompanying her sick husband to hospital to a memory of the hospital killing her husband in front of her, this to get her to take your side in a civil war. And the character you do it to continues to pop up later. So is this woman not going to visit her husband anymore, because she thinks he's dead? What the hell?

The game has a really distinct visual style and some amazing views. Neo-Paris combines the messy dirt of Blade Runner with the bright sterile colours of Fifth Element. So expect to be overwhelmed by colours and distracted by grafitti and trash everywhere. The character designs are basically leather and latex future badasses. The main character wears thigh-high black leather boots over jeans, a cotton shirt with a black leather collar, a white leather half-jacket, one white normal sized glove, and one black elbow-length glove. She has red hair with multiple shocks of blonde-grey. It's one of those overkill, non-functional, style-over-substance visions of the future. Most other characters are similarly overdesigned. The weirdest thing I found was that large quantities of food is left on the ground, and at one point I found an entire lasagna just sitting on the ground, untouched. Who the hell cooks a lasagna and then says "ah fuck it" and throws it out the window? But some of the views are really really inspired. I wish the game gave you more of the outsides of Neo-Paris and fewer levels inside sewers or prisons.

The score is basically a big soaring orchestral score combined with some 70s sci-fi synth--I don't know how to describe this really, but not the kind of dark synth you think of from 80s sci-fi, a more optimistic synth--and then randomly injected with really digital, glitchy kind of techno. The combat music is really cool. If you get hit or flub a combo, the music stops. The better you're doing, the more glitched out the music gets. I felt some level of comparison to Parasite Eve in that at its best the combat music had a kind of acid lounge jazz feel, but more techno. Really cool, original score, and I'd listen to it outside the game.

Having said all this, I do have some problems with the game. The story is absolutely nonsense and the levels don't really fit together well, as if they made the levels separately and then had to thread them into a story. The dialogue is really really poetic but sometimes unclear, which makes me think that the game received fewer editing passes than most or maybe it's just the ESL coming through a little bit. The jargon-heavy nature of the script subtracts from the world rather than enhancing it--really, I need to follow the Remembrane to find the entrance to Memorize to save the Errorists. I unlocked a new S-Pressen ("Expression") or an upgrade for my SenSen and just found a Mnesist. Groan. The conclusion to the story is incredibly, incredibly stupid... I can't stress how dumb it ends up being. I won't spoil it here, but if you sit down and think about the motivations that went into starting Memorize corporation, as well as how those motivations translated into the way Memorize is ran and what it is shown doing in the game, it makes no sense. In addition, the motivation of the Errorist leader is equally stupid. The final boss literally begs you to kill him and then tries to kill you... err...

All the characters are psychopathic on both sides of the story which they do to try to make you question your loyalties or something but it doesn't work and mostly I just felt "holy moly, what a pile of jerks". Finally, there's somewhat significant environment reuse. You visit some version of the prison 3 times, and another level is mostly a sewer--the game only has 8 real levels. I am sure this reflects budget limitations.

Game took me maybe 9:30 or so (I lost maybe an hour to the boss I mentioned above, so maybe 8-9 hours) on medium. Performance was fine with some frame drops on normal settings on my 2008 machine.

On the whole, I'd recommend the game because of the interesting things that it does, including a biracial female protagonist and some really beautiful views. The platforming is so effortless that it feels pretty good and liberating to go through it. I'd probably recommend you play on easy to minimize frustration since I don't think you'd get a whole lot of satisfaction off of "mastering" the combat system by playing on hard. The game will never get a sequel and the developer will probably make another game, to say nothing of the way game budgets basically render stuff like this unlikely to exist more generally, so it sort of stands on its own as an interesting and unique artifact.
This is a great review, and infinitely better than mine. You have a great way of putting your experience into words. Thanks a lot for posting it, Stump.

Arthea

So in the last week or so I finished Thief (2014) and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 so I thought I'd write up my thoughts to help summer sale planning/price-point purchase decision making.

I liked reading both your reviews, really, thanks for doing this, very much appreciated.

I have couple of questions if you don't mind.
How exactly customizable difficulty works, does it affect gameplay (AI)? I can't quite imagine how to implement such a thing, also that's mindlowing concept, if it works.

And you basically sold me on LoS2, with ability to switch of QTEs! As if they read my complains, so nice of them. That leads me to the question, can you switch them off from the start and beat bosses your way? Does combat felt primitive to you? Would you call it clone of GoW too, I mean a second game?

Turfster

Woo! I set my gravity badgers foil to 50 cents after 3 months, and someone bought it to try and flip it at 1.43... the price I had it at for those 3 months where it didn't sell. Good luck to him!

What I Liked:
  • The customizeable difficulty was a really cool idea and I enjoyed shooting for the 700 point challenge. Basically the game lets you pick a base difficulty and then set a ton of modifiers worth varying levels of points. My settings forced a game over if I was seen or touched anyone and I enjoyed having the option to do that.
  • The game is completely ghosteable and it doesn't rely on abusing AI patterns or using glitches. Careful observation and exploration allow for some really useful alternate approaches similar to Dishonored. I was able to able to ghost (despite what the broken post-mission rating said) every single main mission and every single sidequest in the game on the hardest difficulty so props to the devs for allowing for that.
  • The swoop mechanic is a joy to use. It is incredibly handy for crossing those small gaps between the darkness when you can't take out the light or ducking back into a corner after swiping some loot while a guard's back was turned. The animation and sound effect give it this nice agile feel and it's hard not to feel like a pro thief every time you use it.
  • I really liked that the best loot was tied to exploration-based puzzles. It was fun picking through documents to find clues for vault codes or searching for ways to disable traps. The sidequests really take advantage of this and some of the later ones feel quite clever.
  • Thiefing in general was fun. Pickpocketing has a nice feel to it. It's risky, but not overly hard. Picking locks is simple, but trying to do it before a patrol returns can be quite tense. The animation for cutting paintings out of their frames is superb.
  • The full body-awareness is nice. I love all the intricate first-person animation (though a couple get old fast) and seeing your legs is always a plus.
  • The devs didn't skimp on content either. The game took me roughly 20 hours to see all the content. The Client side missions are definitely worth checking out as they take place in areas separate from the hub and are pretty involved, taking anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.
What I Accepted:
  • The AI is consistent and reads pretty well from the player standpoint which I think is the most important aspect of designing AI for stealth games. They aren't terribly clever, but they do feel like a threat.
  • The art is solid. The visual variety is a bit lacking, but the style they went for works well with the theme and the character design is pleasant. Dishonored definitely takes the cake here, but Thief isn't without it's merits.
  • The non-stealth segments are a bit goofy, but they make up a miniscule percentage of the game. The bridge sequence was actually pretty cool as a visual setpiece and it wasn't as jarring as the previous one had been.
  • The third-person platforming stuff could have been used a lot more than it was. There were only 3-4 actual implementations of it and most of them were just there as the only way to reach a new area. I wish they had used this system to add more verticality to levels.
What I Disliked:
  • The blatant streaming-in-the-new-area animations were really annoying. There are 2-3 of them that get used for the whole game and I would honestly have preferred a loadscreen if we have to compensate for shittier platforms. By the end of the game you never want to pry open another window for the rest of your life.
  • The story execution is pretty terrible. The plot is poorly explained and important characters will show up like twice over the course of the 15-20 hour game. When I reached the end I was completely lost on why they even bothered. It's ridiculous and nonsensical.
  • The sidequest organization in the city gets really old by the end due to the lack of fast travel. I would probably recommend just letting everything sit till the point of no return and then do it all then because if you do them as they become available you will be crossing the city back and forth twenty or so times. It gets really fucking old when you are ghosting the game and are creeping past the same guards for the tenth time.
  • The game has a very stitched-together feel and the troubled development is obvious when playing. There are a couple segments that you can tell the guys who were trying to save the game couldn't do anything about short of completely redoing them, which wasn't an option after 5+ years of pre-existing dev time. It's a bummer.
  • The pre-order bonus is one of the best missions in the game. It's a really well-fleshed out side mission where you rob a bank that has multiple levels of security. It was really fun and it bothered me that most of the people playing the game down the road probably won't be playing it.
Conclusion:
If you hold the first two games sacred, don't bother with this entry. This game is not for you and you will be wasting your time and money. No one is asking for you to do community service and torture yourself with it. If you liked Dishonored a lot though, Thief 2014 might be worth checking out at the 15$ or less price range and you can pretend it's a spin-off from that series, because let's be honest, that is what the game feels like.

What I Liked:
  • Every cutscene is a real-time cutscene! All those poorly encoded bloated files from LOS1 are nowhere to be scene and the narrative dumps now look gorgeous as a result. It also means the game is a fraction the size of the original and that the game will age much more nicely.
  • The fantasy art direction is still world-class in my opinion. The castle segments are a sight to behold and the characters have a lavish amount of art direction put into them.
  • I'm not very good at action games, but LOS2 does feel like an improvement over LOS1 to me. Not perfect, but an improvement. The aerial combat is way more fleshed out here and the game does a better job at encouraging exploration of the combo trees.
  • There is an option to turn off QTEs! Every game need this option. It's seriously fantastic being able to just enjoy cutscenes after bossfights without having to pay attention to the controller or having the visuals marred by a massive UI notification that you need to press something.
  • The boss fights were pretty great across the board, both on a visual and gameplay level. They incorporated enough of the gameplay elements you were learning that they didn't all feel the same and the attack sets they had were fun to learn without being frustrating. A bunch of them have multiple stages too, which is always a plus when a boss is fun.
What I Accepted:
  • The game doesn't have the sense of journey that the first one had. It still feels really epic at times, but you don't get the journey sensation when you keep bouncing back and forth between two areas rather than traveling through a long series of varied ones. Still the bouncing back and forth keeps things on the fresher side of things.
  • While I loved the bosses some of them didn't have as much of a situational build up as I would have liked. The first game was better about this. It wasn't a huge issue since the bosses are fun so who cares about build up, but I'm a sucker for atmosphere and buildups so I would have liked more here. An example of what I wanted more of is the Toymaker segment.
  • The platforming is functional as a way to have downtime between combat, but I would have liked a bit more and for it to be a bit more involved.
  • I'm not a total stickler for Castlevania lore, but I didn't mind the story. It was certainly goofy, but I love the one-liners from Gabriel and the twist made perfect sense to me (and felt fairly creative).
  • The player-controlled camera works pretty well. While I do miss the sweeping camera from the original, this one is more functional on a moment-to-moment basis. The game helps you with it during combat, but it's not as consistent as I would have liked and it made things a struggle from time to time.
What I Disliked:
  • The art in the modern city segments was a total letdown. It's not even in the same class as the fantasy art. It's bland to a fault and even the character design looks like it was taken from a seminar on "what gamers think looks badass and cool, 2003." Juxtaposed with the wonderful fantasy art certainly doesn't help it either.
  • The stealth segments live up to the hype hatred. They are more puzzles than stealth segments and they are really irritating puzzles. Every time you make a mistake you pretty much have to start over from the beginning. It makes experimentation to figure out the puzzle painful. Really really bad game design. I recommend just youtubing the solutions to get them over with as quickly as possible to be honest.
  • The rat power just isn't fun to use at all. The controls feel imprecise and the transition animation is annoying. They aren't ever really used in a creative manner either. Also, I'm the Lord of Shadow, fuck being a rat.
  • There are a couple of the modern segments that felt incredibly sloppily designed from the gameplay standpoint and lacked a lot of visual polish too. The Train segment was definitely the worst offender. These segments really bring the flow of the game down though and hurt the overall picture in an inexcusable way.
Conclusion:
I was definitely let down a bit by this sequel compared to the original. The modern day stuff felt like a total misstep and the stealth segments deserve all the hatred that the community has directed towards them. Still, I think fans of LOS1 should still check this out for the bosses and castle segments, at the sub 20$ price point. I don't think I would bother recommending this to anyone but fans of LOS1.

Double Conclusion:
I was able to play both these games for a grand total of 33$. I knew where to set my expectations going in which I think is the most important aspect of risky game purchasing. I felt that pricepoint was pretty fair for my enjoyment level. I appreciate my friend for family sharing his LOS2 with me and I will probably gift him the DLC since I'm interested in playing and it because I owe a brother one. Hopefully these impressions help everyone weigh what they value in a game and decide whether they should bother with either game on a sale.

Always good to see detailed writeups! Thanks.
BTW, how/where did you get LoS2 so cheap? It's on the higher side of my wanted list, but I don't want to pay more than $20 (as you suggest anyway).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Is RE 4 with M/KB as bad as the Steam reviews say it is?

I don't think so, but I'm Mr. I-Play-Horror-Games-With-Tanks-Controls, so maybe what I say on the matter is invalid.

However, there is an update coming to them in the near future, as been announced for an upcoming patch.

Off topic guys, but need some help. I have never played the baldur's gate games ( I know). I wish to. I seem to have a few options. I could get the enhanced version off steam. Seems to be the most straight forward option but also the most expensive. I could get the originals off GOG, and mod them. Not a problem, but I have no idea if the EEs managed to become the definitive experiences upon release or anything. Finally I spotted this on gamersgate: Click. I haven't played any of these, so would be handy to get them all for that price. Can't find it on steam or GOG though. Seems too good to be true, not sure if this would have compatibility issues etc. (I have Windows 8). Any advice on which versions to go for would be greatly appreciated.

Grief.exe

Is RE 4 with M/KB as bad as the Steam reviews say it is?

No

People are having more issues with the tank controls for whatever reason. The M/KB controls are pretty solid, with a negative mouse acceleration issue that is due to be fixed in a patch coming up shortly.

I've been playing with the M/KB controls and they have been fine, other than the extra acceleration.

The Steam reviews are a massive source of frustration for me right now. The port is actually a very solid effort, and looks like they are about to deploy some significant post-launch support via a beta patch.

I'm definitely going to play it, I am just not in any particular rush to go out and buy it. I paid less than $10 each for AA and AC to I will probably do the same with AO. AK on the other hand I am tempted to pre-order...

I caved when it was less than $20 because I love the franchise and figured I'd play it soon when I was in the mood for it.

There are some differences in gameplay, but overall, I liked it more than Arkham City looking back on both. The collectibles definitely feel like less of a hassle, the story is pretty good, I like the incorporation of more "normal" batman tasks such as more crime scene analysis and taking down regular criminals who commit murder.

That said, the progression system for level up is a bit borked -- not being able to unlock the critical strike on perfect timing perk until you take out a particular assassin is aggravating. So is the fact that the weapon destruction takedown is locked in a similar fashion.

I believe I did everything in the single player and stopped about 1/3 of the way through a NG+ run as I'd gotten the last of the achievements not related to completion of NG+ or I Am The Night modes. I was getting a little burned out and wanted to move on to something else. I will probably go back and finish at least the NG+ mode so that I can try I Am The Night sometime as well as working on the medals for the challenge maps. I can't wait to see what the DLC they're working on is.

Re: the write-ups: THANK YOU.

I love catching these around GAF, because I feel like I can trust them for this simple reason: you are putting your ass on the line.

Meaning, from now until my quest to smash every last brain cell I have (which is going swimmingly, I'll add) is completed, that review is going to paint every subsequent post you make in some way. e.g. Why should I care that SoandSo thinks I'm a douche, when he didn't even like the new Rambo?

So yeah, keep those coming.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I liked reading both your reviews, really, thanks for doing this, very much appreciated.

I have couple of questions if you don't mind.
How exactly customizable difficulty works, does it affect gameplay (AI)? I can't quite imagine how to implement such a thing, also that's mindlowing concept, if it works.

And you basically sold me on LoS2, with ability to switch of QTEs! As if they read my complains, so nice of them. That leads me to the question, can you switch them off from the start and beat bosses your way? Does combat felt primitive to you? Would you call it clone of GoW too, I mean a second game?
-It doesn't effect the moment to moment gameplay or AI (other than the base difficulty setting you chose), it's just additional rules/restrictions.

-The QTEs can be turned on and off at any moment during the game.

-The game still feels a lot like a GOW game in terms of combat, but the level structure is different in LOS2.

Always good to see detailed writeups! Thanks.
BTW, how/where did you get LoS2 so cheap? It's on the higher side of my wanted list, but I don't want to pay more than $20 (as you suggest anyway).

I played a friends copy on Family Sharing.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The weirdest thing I found was that large quantities of food is left on the ground, and at one point I found an entire lasagna just sitting on the ground, untouched. Who the hell cooks a lasagna and then says "ah fuck it" and throws it out the window?
LOL the mental image of this

Great write up. I was interested in Remember Me for the aesthetics, but I've been burned by purchasing solely based on that before. I doubt I'd have fun playing it

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Off topic guys, but need some help. I have never played the baldur's gate games ( I know). I wish to. I seem to have a few options. I could get the enhanced version off steam. Seems to be the most straight forward option but also the most expensive. I could get the originals off GOG, and mod them. Not a problem, but I have no idea if the EEs managed to become the definitive experiences upon release or anything. Finally I spotted this on gamersgate: Click. I haven't played any of these, so would be handy to get them all for that price. Can't find it on steam or GOG though. Seems too good to be true, not sure if this would have compatibility issues etc. (I have Windows 8). Any advice on which versions to go for would be greatly appreciated.

All of this knowledge is second hand, but: The impressions I've read about the Enhanced Versions aren't too positive and generally seemed to imply they weren't worth the premium price tag.

The GOG versions come fairly well recommended and should be easy enough to mod/enhance.

The Gamersgate versions have no DRM, but I'm not sure if they're missing any compatibility enhancements or modernizations that the GOG ones have.

Looking at
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_2

It seems like the GMG version would need an additional work around to get working on Win8.

All of this knowledge is second hand, but: The impressions I've read about the Enhanced Versions aren't too positive and generally seemed to imply they weren't worth the premium price tag.

The GOG versions come fairly well recommended and should be easy enough to mod/enhance.

The Gamersgate versions have no DRM, but I'm not sure if they're missing any compatibility enhancements or modernizations that the GOG ones have.

Looking at
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_2

It seems like the GMG version would need an additional work around to get working on Win8.

That's great man, thanks for that.Reckon I'll start with Baldur 1 & 2 off of GOG then so I can do their mod guide, having a look at that now, and work from there. Cheers!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Some spares...

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-588BF889D8EEF98A - Taken by jmizzal. 7 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-37475C64C04AAF17 - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Avencast: Rise of The Mage -- MB-6782505F5990FF15 - Taken by kevin1025. 3 entrants total.

t1394391261z1.png

Copons

Ow, I always forget you overseas people can be really, really anal with even the blandest "hate speech" joke.

Some of you will remember one of my "adventures" about ETS2, containing an ironic chauvinist remark about my girlfriend wanting to play it.
I used that bit for my review of the game on Steam, and between other comments there is someone attacking me for being sexist, a thing that of course led to me being compared to a racist slaver who makes fun of his coloured slaves. And nope nope nope a slaver who makes fun of his coloured slaves isn't funny at all, but I lost track of it and FFS why the hell I got to be compared to a slaver in the first place?? :D

Anyway, in Italy there is a sort of liberal mind when it comes to jokes (often is real racism disguised as irony, but still), and we're used to take words very lightly.
Like, while using the N word is frowned upon, there isn't the same ruckus that seems to happen in the US.
Now, how the hell do you allow things like South Park to be broadcasted, when you're so anal about like everything? :D

Arthea

-It doesn't effect the moment to moment gameplay or AI (other than the base difficulty setting you chose), it's just additional rules/restrictions.

-The QTEs can be turned on and off at any moment during the game.

-The game still feels a lot like a GOW game in terms of combat, but the level structure is different in LOS2.

Oh, that explains it then, I thought we might be facing gaming revolution for a moment here!
I probably will buy LoS2 at some point, have to reward devs for making those QTEs optional, not sure I can stomach GoW combat though.
Thanks again.

Anyway, in Italy there is a sort of liberal mind when it comes to jokes (often is real racism disguised as irony, but still), and we're used to take words very lightly.
Like, while using the N word is frowned upon, there isn't the same ruckus that seems to happen in the US.
Now, how the hell do you allow things like South Park to be broadcasted, when you're so anal about like everything? :D

dunno what is subject of this post, just wanted to point out, that I consider myself as liberal as it gets, concerning jokes and I still find South Park distasteful.
One of my friends explained to me why South Park gets leeway, because it has so ridiculous art style, nobody is able to take it seriously. (><)
well, he's wrong about nobody, actually

Knurek

Off topic guys, but need some help. I have never played the baldur's gate games ( I know). Any advice on which versions to go for would be greatly appreciated.

Either the GOG/Gamersgate originals (both are DRM-free) if you want them for cheap and don't mind moding them to support higher resolutions, or EE versions if you want +1 to Steamcount and like some additional content.

EE got a lot of flak at release, but the devs should have patched them since that time.

Parsnip

Great write-ups Stump and Stallion.

Still need to play CVLoS2 myself. I'd like to play MoFHD before I jump into that, but I'm starting to lose hope that it will ever make its way to Steam. Damn it Konami.

Newblade

If you bought Oniken through Indie Royale, your Desura key won't work. They don't have a solution yet.

From the developers:

If your key won't work, please send your serial key, the bundle acquired and your Desura username for verify, to:

keys[at]joymasher.com

We gonna gather a lot of keys and send the request to Valve every weekend.

And thanks again for your patience. =)

Either the GOG/Gamersgate originals (both are DRM-free) if you want them for cheap and don't mind moding them to support higher resolutions, or EE versions if you want +1 to Steamcount and like some additional content.

EE got a lot of flak at release, but the devs should have patched them since that time.

The other flak the EE versions got was for their price versus what they offer that the modded original doesn't.

Personally, I played the EE of the first one on iPad and thought that the added bits were in character with the original. But that would be my only way to play that game on that interface.

Given the choice, I say pick up the two originals, then dive head first into some interesting mods. The one that lets you carry characters over to effectively make it all one super long game, especially. If it's your first time through, there's not much sense in picking up the more content-based mods.

Arthea

That's great man, thanks for that.Reckon I'll start with Baldur 1 & 2 off of GOG then so I can do their mod guide, having a look at that now, and work from there. Cheers!

I see you already decided on gog. Just wanted to remind, that if you can't run them, gog promises to return money.
When old games are concerned, you should always choose gog before any other options, unless you want it on steam, then you buy both!

Copons

dunno what is subject of this post, just wanted to point out, that I consider myself as liberal as it gets, concerning jokes and I still find South Park distasteful.
One of my friends explained to me why South Park gets leeway, because it has so ridiculous art style, nobody is able to take it seriously. (><)
well, he's wrong about nobody, actually

It was something like my gf repeatedly asking me to play ETS2 and to be able to keep playing it myself, I eventually answered her that trucking is a business for men only.

Anyway, I'm a true-hardcore-first-hour South Park fan, so I may be biased, but I think its leeway should be owed to the fact that it's plain and simple satire (political, social, everything really).
And when it comes to well-done satirical works, usually the bothered ones (not talking about you, of course) are exactly the targets of the satire itself.

okayfrog

Banned
Just finished Guacamelee!, man that was one great experience. Loved everything about it, from gameplay, atmoshpere (those tiny details like
Manny Calavera posters in the city :D
), humor, music... For a small indie studio, it's a pretty ambicious platformer. And a fantastic one ;)

I finished it yesterday myself, actually. I was delighted to know that the worst things about the game were the meme posters. I have two infierno challenges left to gold and then it's on to hard mode. What this means is I'll probably never come back to this game.

Pachimari

Has this been posted yet? I just bought it. Great deal and only 2 more days left:

Tropico 4: Collector's Bundle for $3.40 USD at Nuuvem. (Activates on Steam)

Includes:
  • Tropico 4
  • Tropico 4: Modern Times
  • Tropico 4 DLC Junta
  • Tropico 4 DLC Quick-Dry-Cement
  • Tropico 4 Plantador DLC
  • Tropico 4 Megalopolis
  • Tropico 4 Pirate Heaven
  • Tropico 4 Vigilante

I'm so happy about this bundle sale, and to my surprise, it was extremely easy signing up for Nuuvem! :D

What currency are they using? Brazilian?

Tizoc

What's the Point of No return in Thief 2014?
I'll finish up this one side quest then just focus on the main game and unlock the wrench tool and stock up on rope and water arrows, etc.

Arthea

It was something like my gf repeatedly asking me to play ETS2 and to be able to keep playing it myself, I eventually answered her that trucking is a business for men only.

Anyway, I'm a true-hardcore-first-hour South Park fan, so I may be biased, but I think its leeway should be owed to the fact that it's plain and simple satire (political, social, everything really).
And when it comes to well-done satirical works, usually the bothered ones (not talking about you, of course) are exactly the targets of the satire itself.

I remember that moment, I thought you were talking about something else.

Not sure about being target of South Park, oh Odin, I hope I'm not. (><)
But as I already wrote once, humour is a very personal thing, and more often than not I find South Park to be disgusting than funny. In my eyes good satire is one that never gets distasteful and ugly, like for example The Good Soldier Švejk is good quality satire, while South Park is not, for me that is.

kevin1025

Banned
maybe i'm a bit drunk but my car just blew up for no reason in gta4, gonna have to do all that driving again D:

The good news is that Episodes of Liberty City is not only functional, but runs perfectly. Played 2.5 hours earlier and it went flawlessly. But yeah, that GTA4...don't know what happened there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom