• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
d'you mean the ISP package that i'm signed up for or what i get via Steam?

Your ISP connection. Most ISPs list it by Mbps, but Steam does it by MB/s. Big difference.

Test your speed here, wait for results, then hover over the resulting number and it will give you the results in MB/s. Adjust your limiter in Steam from this number.
http://testmy.net/download

Vazduh

You think it's safe to trade for a Starcraft 2 key through SteamTrades? This guy has been doing it for a few weeks now and it's the cheapest way I could get one.

Haven't never been scamed on steamtrades so I would say you're safe. Of course, first check trader's reputation (click on his profile).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did Blur have Steam Achievements? I forgot if the game was released before or after Activision made Steamworks mandatory for their titles.

It does not.

You think it's safe to trade for a Starcraft 2 key through SteamTrades? This guy has been doing it for a few weeks now and it's the cheapest way I could get one.

It's no more risky than buying a Steam key, really. It's just that you'd be at the mercy of PayPal's notoriously awful customer service if something goes awry.

JaseC

Ice cold.

Get him!

tumblr_mkh1uzuq8h1r2s5sjtf.gif

or he can call his bank

If he doesn't care about his PayPal account, sure. ;)

Wok

I have a similar issue at my folks place. They have a really low bandwidth connection and poor router. In order to be able to use the internet and download with steam, I have to limit the download to 128kb/s when the peak uncapped is a tiny 370kb/s on average. My folks don't understand the why people need better bandwidth, yet they are happy to complain about all the things being slow or unusable

Your ISP connection. Most ISPs list it by Mbps, but Steam does it by MB/s. Big difference.

Test your speed here, wait for results, then hover over the resulting number and it will give you the results in MB/s. Adjust your limiter in Steam from this number.

I have capped the download speed to 128 KB/s and I can now browse GAF while downloading a game on Steam.

kris.

Banned

TIL there's a difference between the two. i should have known that -__-
throttled down to 512Kb/s and everything seems to be working fine. doesn't help that i'm on a wireless network and my router is a few years old and like a floor/3 walls away from my receiver. thanks for the help/clarification!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nope, and the PC version isn't a great port (I think the online servers were also shut down).

I honestly really liked Blur on 360. I found it very refreshing. I'm not good enough to dissect the gameplay, but everything was smooth and enjoyable to me. Great UI. I'm surprised how much more I liked it than, say, Mario Kart Wii.

(I also really liked Split/Second, another game that came out around the same time, isn't on Steam, and never got the love it deserved).

JaseC

Disney's strange aversion to Steam is frustrating. I just want to complete my Lego collection on Steam, Mr. Mouse. :(

Cth

I honestly really liked Blur on 360. I found it very refreshing. I'm not good enough to dissect the gameplay, but everything was smooth and enjoyable to me. Great UI. I'm surprised how much more I liked it than, say, Mario Kart Wii.

(I also really liked Split/Second, another game that came out around the same time, isn't on Steam, and never got the love it deserved).

S/S was fun too, and yeah, both of them launching so close to one another couldn't have helped things. It was like a mini-console war between fanbases.. once that commercial for Blur hit it was like gasoline on the fire :D

EDIT:
This one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08dbXQFyOLI

DocSeuss

It's a dicey proposition but between getting the console version for peanuts or the grossly overpriced version on Steam from a flipper, the latter is a greater sin. I advocate cheapassedness over platform allegiance so even if it's not optimal, at least get your current fix for next to nothing to tide you over before committing to something you'll probably regret.

The point is that I want to have a game that isn't on Steam on Steam. And also it's an FPS, so why buy it for consoles at all? If I wanted the non-Steam version, I could get it.

It's your money so do with it as you wish, but I can't even bring myself to spend $70 for a delisted game on Steam which I made. I kind of wish I'd just take the plunge though :(

It's actually not my money, since I have no money, but if it was...

Why'd Blur get removed anyways?

I take it boxed PC copies don't have Steam codes?

Nope. One of the last Activision PC games not to have Steamworks.

I enjoyed what I played of both those games. Stupid Disney, screwing with that release date and not giving a Steam release and also having a horrible port. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Daylight store page up, nice pre order discount

JaseC

Poor sales for the shitty game - sounds fair.

Bethesda could publish the game again without buying it outright, but this would require the two parties to agree on a revenue split and since the project was all but assuredly not profitable for Acti I can only assume it'd want a higher cut than what Bethesda is willing to agree to.

Also, I thought Wolf09 was solid. Not great, but certainly good. Raven is -- sorry, was -- one of the last bastions of classic FPS gameplay. :(

allansm

I am pondering whether to buy The Banner Saga for a friendly colleague's birthday. Do you have any impression, especially from these of you who have stopped playing the game after an hour or so?

jGN5G3M.jpg

I actually only played one hour of the game, the other was Idling for cards. I didn't stop because the game was bad or anything like that, it's just that it was too dense in the beginning. There is too much text as there is a lot going on in the beginning, but the game doesn't introduce properly to the characters or the setting, so you end up kind of lost. I didn't even knew which character I was until like 20 minutes in, and once I was beginning to become familiar with the group of characters I was controlling, the story suddenly shifted to another group's point of view. So I decided to play some other games first and come back to it later, it is the next on my list now.

I can't give any more detailed impreassions, but at least I can say that if your friend doesn't enjoy story heavy games you should gift him something else.

JaseC

LucasArts P&C games will stay buried for eternity, won't they...

Perhaps not forever but certainly for the foreseeable future. The annoying thing about multinational corporations is that it's practically impossible to get in contact with anybody who could enact change.

Bethesda could publish the game again without buying it outright, but this would require the two parties to agree on a revenue split and since the project was all but assuredly not profitable for Acti I can only assume it'd want a higher cut than what Bethesda is willing to agree to.

Also, I thought Wolf09 was solid. Not great, but certainly good. Raven is -- sorry, was -- one of the last bastions of classic FPS gameplay. :(

Let's see who's left. Umm, id's out, Epic's out, Monolith's out, Valve..who knows what they'll do next in the genre :(

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I was expecting them to name it as "The Incredible Adventures of Too Helsing", it worked with fast and furious.
That's quite funny, though then we'd have:
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Drifting in Tokyo
- Adventures of Helsing
- Adventures Five
- Helsing 6
- Adventures of Helsing 7

works for me!

LucasArts P&C games will stay buried for eternity, won't they...
They really should get their act together and add all the awesome missing stuff like Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle and Sam & Max :(

FloatOn

just finished fallout new vegas

I have such mixed feelings on this one. Perhaps I'm just burned out, I did just finish fallout 3 for the first time prior to this. I will be brief and probably also echo many sentiments expressed here: New Vegas has some of the finest writing in video games with choices that truly matter. I enjoyed the story much more than I did in fallout 3. However - both suffered from an abysmal combat both in terms of how the guns felt and the combat scenarios themselves with the enemy ai, cumbersome item system and horrid map menu design. I understand that the combat is intended to feel like a turn based rpg with enemies with health bars but it really is comical to just unload clip after clip and have them none the wiser...

anyway, I'm a fan of the series now despite it's shortcomings and I truly hope that fallout 4 refines some of the jank.

JaseC

Licensed cars == Activision didn't want to renew licenses on a game that didn't make them any money (and cost rather a lot to make).

I doubt they expired since the game was only ~2.5 years old and disappeared alongside the Bond games, the licence for which was valid for another three years. An Acti employee claimed that Deadpool and its console Marvel titles were pulled due to licence expiration but this is hogwash as not unlike Bond the deal with Marvel still had a few more years left, and again the timing was coincident with Acti moving into its new FY.

MRORANGE

My main complaint of the Blur series is

- The SP player campaign has no real value to actually play it, all the races never left me feeling I should progress onto the next, without this you are totally relying on the MP to save the game.
- The MP is good and has co-op 4 player support - but holy fucking shit on the default layout controls on a keyboard, add to the clusterfuck of several players and it's a mess. granted you can fix it with a 3rd party input control program but it's just silly to have to go this route.
- I could never understand what BLUR wanted to be.... a mario racer or a competitor to arcadey racers with licensed cars. It tried to be everything and left a sour taste in my mouth. This could have worked in the 90's but in the present day it just feels weird.
- The realism/non-realism, same as above, I would have given it more praise it they got rid of the licensed cars and went with the burnout paradise route.

Yes, the series scratches an itch not being filled in the PC market, but it felt like a hash attempt of an idea that would have worked 10 years ago but not today.

My desire increases, but it will never be enough to override that high price and worthless plastic statue.

Based off those GIFs you posted earlier, my Dark Souls II hype has crashed and burned and I'm wondering if there's some way to cancel my preorder... I suppose I could just sell the key for a loss if not.

Dark Souls II hype is the best hype.

When Grief called it a prequel, I didn't think he meant that the game was designed to run on a PS2.

My hype is dying quickly.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
ModBot's 15,000th giveaway should occur this week.
That's awesome, fantastic stuff Stump. Great work on a tool that's really helped show the generosity of Steam-GAF. I'm lucky enough to have won some really fantastic games through Modbot and have tried to give back where I can, outside of a few bad eggs it's been great seeing people giving and enjoying games.

Grief.exe

Based off those GIFs you posted earlier, my Dark Souls II hype has crashed and burned and I'm wondering if there's some way to cancel my preorder... I suppose I could just sell the key for a loss if not.

The truly sad thing is, the original demo had the torch mechanic which required a change in gameplay style. But if you break that demo down, literally every aspect of it is actually worse, or removed completely, in the console version, lighting (just in general walking around the area before the dark tunnel), darkness (switching up gameplay style to account for the necessity of the torch), effects (Specular, Normal Mapping, etc), and high-res textures.

Hopefully these effects are still alive and well for the PC version. Comparing the Mirror Knight boss battle that was demo'd to the retail version isn't as much of a downgrade.

iLZ1kstU2es6F.gif

ibkZtvMaMXLJHR.gif

The truly sad thing is, the original demo had the torch mechanic which required a change in gameplay style. But if you break that demo down, literally every aspect of it is actually worse, or removed completely, in the console version, lighting (just in general walking around the area before the dark tunnel), darkness (switching up gameplay style to account for the necessity of the torch), effects (Specular, Normal Mapping, etc), and high-res textures.

Hopefully these effects are still alive and well for the PC version. Comparing the Mirror Knight boss battle that was demo'd to the retail version isn't as much of a downgrade.

iLZ1kstU2es6F.gif

ibkZtvMaMXLJHR.gif

any gifs of the not as drastic comparisons?

also the torch mechanic still seems alive, I think I watched part of the retail run and he had a torch with a timer on it... i noticed the ticking clock above the left hand equip and then he lit a sconce/brazier with it.

Yup. If you're ever interested in purchasing it, though, just realize you will be paying full price as it has never been on sale.
It was on sale once.
I bought the base game.
I don't think the add on was on sale though. :\

Sothpaw

Grim Dawn is the daily deal. I have been playing it for months, and I have to highly recommend the game. $20 for such an awesome game is a steal. Give it a shot you won't regret it.

NIN90

Do the countless errors mean that my RAM is fucked? This is with all 4 sticks inserted (8GB total) btw.

Background: I've been experiencing BSODs (mostly MEM MANAGEMENT errors) mere minutes after booting Win7 64bit( already reinstalled twice by now) for about 2 weeks now. I don't experience any BSODs while running Win7 32bit so I kinda had a hunch that my RAM is faulty.

Edit: It's up to 570 errors now :S

MRORANGE

Do the countless errors mean that my RAM is fucked? This is with all 4 sticks inserted (8GB total) btw.

Background: I've been experiencing BSODs (mostly MEM MANAGEMENT errors) mere minutes after booting Win7 64bit( already reinstalled twice by now) for about 2 weeks now. I don't experience any BSODs while running Win7 32bit so I kinda had a hunch that my RAM is faulty.

Sticks ain't OC and on stock settings?

I would do a memtest and check the sticks one by one and try and find the fault.

Yes.

Use one stick at a time and retest to find which one is faulty. When that memory is being addressed you will get your crash.

Could try reseating. It doesn't sound like that's the issue here, but it never hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom