• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinduct

I am pondering whether to buy The Banner Saga for a friendly colleague's birthday. Do you have any impression, especially from these of you who have stopped playing the game after an hour or so?

jGN5G3M.jpg

Timing. I got into the Steam in-hosue streaming beta like on the day and sadly it was a game that wasn't supported. So kind of forgot about it :X

The game was great from what I played, just haven't had time to get back into it.
Was backer though, so not sure if it skews my reception.

another ramble

I see people having no qualms with dishing out full retail price for an SP only game.

but when it comes to an MP only game? Nnnnnope. It lacks content and has bad price/time value. What?

Those people need to get over themselves and move on already.

Did Quake 3 and UT also get this much flak back then from the community? I wasn't on forums back then, can't recall that, only the heaps of praise from critics and rl friends.
Quake 3 had a double whammy of complaints when it released. First being strictly MP content, and second requiring a hardware accelerator to play it. The dissent was there, but it was washed over by all the praise.

another ramble

I see people having no qualms with dishing out full retail price for an SP only game.

but when it comes to an MP only game? Nnnnnope. It lacks content and has bad price/time value. What?

Did Quake 3 and UT also get this much flak back then from the community? I wasn't on forums back then, can't recall that, only the heaps of praise from critics and rl friends.

Depends. I know plenty of people who weren't into multiplayer and skipped Quake 3 and UT because of it. And with the current rate of releases of multiplayer games and how quickly a majority of the multiplayer communities die, there's is some truth to the "I want a full single player experience if I'm going to pay full price because I'm not interested in the multiplayer portion of this game."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quake 3 had a double whammy of complaints when it released. First being strictly MP content, and second requiring a hardware accelerator to play it. The dissent was there, but it was washed over by all the praise.

I distinctly recall PC PowerPlay's review/review overview ending with "... but don't forget to upgrade your PC on the way home."

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
another ramble

When Valve releases world-class multiplayer experiences in the 0$-20$ price range I'd say the price complaints are justified.

fantomena

What will happen if you make another account, using VPN to buy games from the Russia store on the new account and then gift it to your main account?

Dolor

another ramble

As someone that's generally bad at multiplayer shooters, in part because I refuse to/can't dedicate the time to master them and in part because I am just bad at them, I feel like this fairly often. There are some exceptions, but a lack of a SP campaign is a pretty big drawback for me.

Hexcells is quite excellent, or at least it is right up my alley. The first two blocks of stages haven't been particularly hard but they do make you think (even if half of the times it's "shit, which button was the show number and which one was the make square blue button")

Twinduct

another ramble

Not sure about threads but IRL those were attacked like nothing for not having SP by my friends. Only like two of us actually bought both, the rest pirated the games and bought it once it went down in pricing.

Having said that I don't throw in a money spent per hour system when it comes to games. So paying $60 for an online only game ain't the issue. I think the bigger issue is the lack of content to be honest. Specifically talking about Titans and Weapons though. Maps ain't an issue, considering most games end up favoring a handful of maps anyway.

JaseC

What will happen if you make another account, using VPN to buy games from the Russia store on the new account and then gift it to your main account?

It wouldn't be as simple as just using a VPN as you'd also need a valid payment method based in Russia. But to answer your question:

ALt6b.png

Edit: I should probably clarify that this isn't my ticket.

Tellaerin

another ramble

In the case of the UT games, a metric crapton of content, mod support, and fantastic bots for offline play right out of the box have always gone a long way to address the "MP only" issue. I can (and do) play those games without going online at all and still have a really good time, either playing through the single-player tournament ladder or (more often) just playing matches against the bots. If your game's MP-only and it doesn't have bot support, I'm going to be a lot less interested in it, as a rule.

fallout

Remember folks: SpeedRunners is the shit. It may not be as cheap as it was during the Winter Sale, but it's worth far more than the $4.99 price tag. Grab it if you regularly have friends around, or just enjoy online multiplayer. It's a platforming mario kart on crack.
I can back this up. I've played 4p with friends of mine and had a great time.

And you will be paying for these Russian games, how?

Oh, I though I just could use my mastercard or visa. :(

Beyond that -- isn't there a problem with a lot of newer games having that region-lock flag? Wouldn't that prevent the "gifting" to your main account?

Now if you had an RU account and could family share with your main account and didn't care about maintaining both... then that might work. ;)

Then the same could be said for SP. Wasn't HL2 their last full retail priced SP title? Was L4D full priced?

It was on x360. Or at least it wasn't <$20. It was $40+ for L4D and I think the same goes for L4D2. Portal 2 was also $40 or more.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
another ramble

I can certainly understand their concern. An MP-only game has an expiration date. Whether it is tomorrow or in 30 years is of little importance; the fact is that once the servers are down or completely empty, you won't be able to play it anymore (unless you can gather a party if the servers are still up).

Also both Q3 and UT had a single player mode. It was basically an offline multiplayer match with bots, but it's SP anyway.

Besides, I don't like playing multiplayer games with random people, except for very few exceptions. So to me a multiplayer-only game is practically worthless.

At the time of the game's release I was still rockin' a 2MB S3 card that only did DirectDraw. :( The PC was bought in 1996 or so and not upgraded until early 2001.

I had a top of the line PC when Quake 3 came out, but I couldn't run it because I didn't have 250+ to go buy a voodoo card or whatever to get 3DFX. Several years later, I copped someone's voodoo fx3 for like $50 and could finally play it. :lol

By then, as stated in the above multiplayer discussion, the community on our campus was dead. :\

Wok

Okay, I am going with:
  • FTL
  • A virus named Tom
  • Hexcells Plus
  • LYNE (hopefully on Steam one day, since it is the core mechanic of The Witness)

It is pretty brainy, but I have enjoyed all these games, so it should be fine.

Aerocrane

I had a TNT, I played the shit out of Sega Rally 2 back in the days with it

what the fuck happened to sega rally?!

Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally 3 happened. Sega Rally 3 was rereleased on PS3 and Xbox 360 as Sega Rally Online Arcade. All versions of the game have been delisted from digital download storefronts, most likely because the licenses expired.

Joe Molotov

I had a top of the line PC when Quake 3 came out, but I couldn't run it because I didn't have 250+ to go buy a voodoo card or whatever to get 3DFX. Several years later, I copped someone's voodoo fx3 for like $50 and could finally play it. :lol

By then, as stated in the above multiplayer discussion, the community on our campus was dead. :\

I played a lot of Quake 3 in college...split-screen on the Dreamcast, haha.. I don't know why, it wasn't like we didn't have computers. We played a lot of Diablo II, Counter-Strike, Red Faction, and BF1942 in those days.

Anteater

Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally 3 happened. Sega Rally 3 was rereleased on PS3 and Xbox 360 as Sega Rally Online Arcade. All versions of the game have been delisted from digital download storefronts, most likely because the licenses expired.

man I'd buy them on steam :(

Aerocrane

man I'd buy them on steam :(

The PC version of Sega Rally Revo had a retail release. If you aren't averse to boxes, it's available on Amazon. It doesn't activate on Steam. I'm tempted to buy a copy, I really liked the PSP version. There are PC versions of the original Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2, but it would probably be difficult to make them work on modern PCs.

JaseC

The online community here hung around for quite a while. Due to the lack of server-side prediction, those in Western Australia, like myself, had few server options for an ideal experience, but even so I didn't stop playing the game regularly until around 2005 or so -- iiNet's OSP Clan War server was always reliable throughout those years. Largely thanks to Australia's incumbent telco I wasn't able to move from dial-up to ADSL until late 2004 so it's unfortunate that the game's community began to dissipate soon after I could finally play with a low ping from home, but by then CS had well and truly replaced Q3 as my preferred MP game thanks to its dial-up-friendly netcode so it was no great loss.

I tried to get into Quake Live when it launched, but WA-based servers were a low priority and by the time they finally did come around, nobody cared.

Volimar

I am pondering whether to buy The Banner Saga for a friendly colleague's birthday. Do you have any impression, especially from these of you who have stopped playing the game after an hour or so?

jGN5G3M.jpg

This might be a good buy as well.

I know I'm late on this, but I really really really liked The Banner Saga. Great characters, interesting plot, very story driven and you get/don't get certain characters based on your decisions. Also very good music. I'd definitely get it for your colleague. Then await his inevitable depression on finishing it.

Aerocrane

Sega Rally and Sega Rally Revo were on Steam. I don't have either as they were pulled well before I caught the collecting bug.

From taking a quick glance at SteamDB, the two Sega Rallys are just different names of the Sega Rally game released in 2007 for different regions. The game was called Sega Rally Revo in most regions, but it was called just Sega Rally in Europe.

JaseC

You awake, trapped in an abandoned hospital. Your only source of light is your phone. You hit a dead-end and must turn around, but behind you lurks an eerie presence and strange noises... Experience Daylight, a procedurally generated psychological thriller for your PC.

Releases April 9th/10th (depending on your time zone). There's a 33% pre-purchase discount, which knocks price down to $9.99.

Anteater

From taking a quick glance at SteamDB, the two Sega Rallys are just different names of the Sega Rally game released in 2007 for different regions. The game was called Sega Rally Revo in most regions, but it was called just Sega Rally in Europe.

but to jasec, they are 2 games

Megasoum

Banned
Wow my friend is looking into buying a copy of South Park. Is it the norm for the price on tf2outpost to increase so much after a release? I paid 10 keys for my copy and now the best I could find is 20 keys and most of them are actually around 28-30keys.

The_Monk

My good people, hope you are all fine. I just arrived home and I see some new weeklong deals.

If anyone is interested Night of the Rabbit is well worth the price you will pay now. I really liked the soundtrack and the story voice acting is simple but nice to listen. The art style is the best part of this game and according to Steam, it took me 14 hours to finish (put a couple of those hours where I was stuck). I think I have the Premium Edition and if you like the Extras then it's a good thing to have.

It seems that not many GAFfers on my friends list have the game and most of them did not played much of it (idling for Cards, maybe?) but I hope this game can get more recognition because to me it was worth it to play (and finishing) simply for the lovely art style. It really warmed my heart. :)

PS: This game is a summer adventure, so if you are like me, this game is better played during Spring time or in a nice summer day.

JaseC

Ah, seems you're right. I just assumed that they were two completely different games due to the large difference in app id.

but to jasec, they are 2 games

tumblr_mtzjeagABI1rthb3xo2_250.gif

Wow my friend is looking into buying a copy of South Park. Is it the norm for the price on tf2outpost to increase so much after a release? I paid 10 keys for my copy and now the best I could find is 20 keys and most of them are actually around 28-30keys.

Ubi closed the loophole that was allowing traders to buy ROW copies at a far cheaper price.

ss_b23646147c10a8a87610fd5e1cbfaa92b67edf2f.1920x1080.jpg

that waifus vs robots game can look really decent

too bad it sounds like garbage :(

The real question is "how repetitive is the gameplay?"

--

Huh -- seems the long cutscene towards the end of SP:Stick of Truth isn't skippable. Dammit. I just want the last achievement I need before doing a new game to get the final 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom