• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Hi.

I've been having, honestly, the worst year or so of my life. I'm really sick, and have been for several years. Last year, I buried my grandma, who had it. I went, this year, from poor to really poor. I'm at below half the poverty line. My illness limits what I can do employment-wise, and my employment limits my ability to obtain the medical help I need. I suffer from chronic pain and exhaustion, among other symptoms. It's really hard to live, but I manage it as best I can.

I had hoped to save up for 250+ and beat JaseC, but that's looking less and less likely. My boss has decided to cut my hours. As it stands, I have plans to purchase four more video games this year, and those four only. There's a bunch I'd like to grab, as you can see by my wish list on Steam (I get ribbed by my friends 'cause I think there's like 650 games on it), but I can't justify the cost.

I've been saving up for for a very long time. Since I gave away, what, 50 games or so back in the day. It made me really happy to do that, and I want to do that again, 'cause that'd give me a big boost. I realize that's kinda a selfish reason to give things away, but, well, it's my reason.

I figure 115 games lets me purchase my little rant time for you. Thanks for reading.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Here's what I've got and what it does to me. Buried at the end so it doesn't feel like I'm just whoring for attention.

Hopefully things will turn out for the better.

Giever

Goddamn, Doc. I really truly hope things turn better for you soon. Amazing giveaway, by the way, though I can't partake, since I'm a lurker. Your post actually made me comment for once though, so maybe that'll change in the future!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hi.

I've been having, honestly, the worst year or so of my life. I'm really sick, and have been for several years. Last year, I buried my grandma, who had it. I went, this year, from poor to really poor. I'm at below half the poverty line. My illness limits what I can do employment-wise, and my employment limits my ability to obtain the medical help I need. I suffer from chronic pain and exhaustion, among other symptoms. It's really hard to live, but I manage it as best I can.

I had hoped to save up for 250+ and beat JaseC, but that's looking less and less likely. My boss has decided to cut my hours. As it stands, I have plans to purchase four more video games this year, and those four only. There's a bunch I'd like to grab, as you can see by my wish list on Steam (I get ribbed by my friends 'cause I think there's like 650 games on it), but I can't justify the cost.

I've been saving up for for a very long time. Since I gave away, what, 50 games or so back in the day. It made me really happy to do that, and I want to do that again, 'cause that'd give me a big boost. I realize that's kinda a selfish reason to give things away, but, well, it's my reason.

I figure 115 games lets me purchase my little rant time for you. Thanks for reading.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Here's what I've got and what it does to me. Buried at the end so it doesn't feel like I'm just whoring for attention.
I'm so sorry to hear this man, and I want to thank you for your incredibly generosity, despite your current circumstances. If there's anything I could ever do for you, please let me know. I'm sure I'm not the only one willing to give a fellow SteamGAFfer a hand, and know that there are people here who are always happy to listen to you if you need to vent or anything (at least I am!).

Volimar

I gotta say, the GAF community is pretty awesome. Grabbed me out of some bad depressions, and talked me through some family health scares.

Just wanted you to know:

tumblr_ly25l8ee4q1qkqd21_large.gif

DocSeuss

I love you guys. Thanks for the kind words.

If there's anything I could ever do for you, please let me know.

I'm looking for a better job right now. I'm kinda annoyed that some of the EiCs I've reached out to have been like "yeah, please, write us back, we like your stuff!" and then none have ever responded.

It'd be cool if I found the people I needed to work on this project I'm doing, and then had a successful Kickstarter or something, but oh well.

You're totally right. I thought of it as something that a few series were up to, but every time I load up an old game off GOG I find all these prominent sim elements. I desperately want this to become commonplace again with all we've learned about user interfaces.

I know, right? But go look at all these indie games, and sim elements are pretty rare, unless people are making survival games, for some reason.

I can't even think of a single-player indie shooter that isn't a survival game right now.

Hi.

Enjoy.

Great, great giveaway! It's really nice of you to spread the love, and I sincerly hope that things will get better for you.

Thanks a lot!

hitmon

Hi.

Enjoy.

I hope you get better Doc.

DocSeuss

Doc, this is incredibly generous in light of what you're going through. I hope things get better for you in both health and finance. Now all you gotta do is drop some hints on what 4 games you're going to get this year, at least.

Tropico 5 (single most anticipated video game, period), Wolfenstein: The New Order, Evolve, and Homeworld HD. I've bought other games this year, of course; Titanfall and ACIV. But today, after I bought some DLC for a game with my Steam credit, I was like "oh, crap, y'know? I'm done."

I may sell some trading cards to pick up Aliens vs Predator 1 and that Deus Ex game. A cool friend gave me a DRM-free copy of Banished, so I'ma buy it when I can. But yeah, unless I get some more hours, I'm kinda boned.

No more bundles, which means no more giveaways, which is such a big bummer.

jmizzal

After playing the beta I'm getting pretty excited for Titanfall. I'm grabbing the Xbox One bundle tomorrow but wanted to spread the PC joy to GAF. I'm making this a 3 hour raffle, just in time for it to unlock in the US tonight:)

Enjoy!

Titanfall Origin Giveaway

Congrats to the winner I knew it would be over 100 people enter lol

Finished up Remember Me.
Took a little less than 10 hours.
Overall it was really enjoyable, though mostly because of the art-direction, music, and story.

Posted around 80 screenshots of the game to my gallery.

(WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS)
http://pepsimanvsjoe.minus.com/

edit: Best wishes DocSeuss. Hopefully you'll find some measure of peace in what looks to be a truly rough future.

DocSeuss

I hope you get well soon, DocSeuss. Thank you so much for sharing.

Full realism here:

In the next 25 years or so, I will start experiencing Parkinsons-like symptoms. Later, it'll progress to dementia, y'know, Alzheimer's style. Before then, it will be non-stop pain and exhaustion.

I don't get better.

I can feel better, but it would involve a lot of massage therapy, IVs, and other stuff I can't afford. :\

ZehDon

Hi.

Enjoy.
That's a shitty situation to be in, Doc. I really do hope it gets better for you, no one deserves that kind of horribleness. Edit: Just read your above post. That fucking sucks man. Truly. If I were ever in your position, I wish I could be half as generous as you. It's pretty damn inspirational, so I offer you a paper Iwata bowing in my place:
19apa33i6j227gif.gif

God bless you mate.

Khronico

Hi.

Enjoy.

Hey man, I hope your position in life gets better. You know us SteamGAF folks will be here for you.

Dambrosi

Banned
Here's some spares from the Bundlestars Adrenaline Bundle I just bought:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dambrosi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-F7295C02522704C5 - Taken by Alduin. 3 entrants total.
Rock Of Ages -- MB-4C8F1D46DB87B313 - Taken by thesaucetastic. 9 entrants total.
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World -- MB-2969C4C1CB16DC22 - Taken by schuey7. 6 entrants total.
Monday Night Combat -- MB-2250110CD030BD8F - Taken by Shalashaska. 2 entrants total.
POSTAL -- MB-8EC91C181DA3AB5D - Taken by Fool (I dream of Zack Snyder). 3 entrants total.
Bang Bang Racing -- MB-E830442C8418FE72 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 1 entrants total.

t1394525094z1.png

Hi.

Enjoy.

Great giveaway Doc. Hope you'll enjoy your life more than people enjoy playing these games.

okayfrog

Banned
Fuckin' hell, Doc, that's a crazy giveaway. As for your condition, have you tried green tea? Really, I've got no advice as I'm sure you've tried all you can and it's just plain ol' suck. Here's to you enjoying video games 'til you can't no longer.

T-Matt

After playing the beta I'm getting pretty excited for Titanfall. I'm grabbing the Xbox One bundle tomorrow but wanted to spread the PC joy to GAF. I'm making this a 3 hour raffle, just in time for it to unlock in the US tonight:)

Enjoy!

Titanfall Origin Giveaway

Wow, I did not expect to win at all but I am very happy and thankful. Gaffers are such awesome people.

Seagoon

Hopefully things pick up for you soon Doc - I'm constantly staggered by the kindness offered in this thread and the selfless giveaways that constantly take place. I only wish I had more games to giveaway!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a doctor in the slightest, but my best guess is you have an autoimmune disease which impacts your absorption of ions like calcium or potassium. Those ions are important in creating membrane potentials, which are involved in things like synapses and mitochondrial functions like atp production. That's simplifying things a hell of a lot obviously, and I'm not sure what kind of disease that would be. A cursory google search with some keywords turns up Coeliac's disease, but I doubt that's it judging by what you complain about.

But again, I'm not a doctor at all and you probably shouldn't listen to me. I just thought I might bring up a way for you to find a name for your condition at least. There's comfort in knowing at least that.

Garcia

Hi.

Enjoy.

Dude, I hope everything gets better as soon as possible. Be strong and remember that there's always sunlight after the darkest of nights.

Thank you for your staggering generosity, Doc.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Doc, reading all that just broke me.
All my best wishes and hopeful thoughts are with you.

BorntoPlay

Hi.

Enjoy.

Great Giveaway!!.. i hope you feel better soon... stay strong bro... =)

schuey7

First person to pm me gets a Fez key.I'm doing it this way because Modbot is unable to nuke the keys for some reason.
Edit:VikasNarula got it

Oreoleo

Full realism here:

In the next 25 years or so, I will start experiencing Parkinsons-like symptoms. Later, it'll progress to dementia, y'know, Alzheimer's style. Before then, it will be non-stop pain and exhaustion.

I don't get better.

I can feel better, but it would involve a lot of massage therapy, IVs, and other stuff I can't afford. :\

I'm sorry to hear this, and of your situation in general. But 25 years is a long time, advances in medicine happen! I'm sure it is hard to keep optimistic when you have to deal with your symptoms every day, but you never know what the future will hold for you. You'll be in my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom