• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

Steam is a pain to use on a 42" TV, if you use Big Picture Mode there are a lot of options that are missing (for example i can't see how much a game size is before to download it), if i use the normal mode is just too tiny to read from my couch, and if i increase Windows settings to 200%, games start with 200% size too and they are cut (i only see a part of the screen).. uurgh!

I kind of wonder why valve don't make their client/big picture mode more mod friendly, at least I assume it's not since we don't see more different skins available.

Question for all you Diablo-like fans - what do you actually see in the games?

Not trolling, genuinely curious here. I've tried playing Borderlands (had some fun, but nothing I'd call groundbreaking), did some Diablo 1 and console Baldurs Gate games back in the days as well, and the actual gameplay seems to be very same-ish, just with increasing numbers/switched monsters here and there.

Yet loads of people seem to be very fond of these loot games, I'm just wondering whether I'm missing something here or if the genre is just not for me.

Killing monsters is fun. The appeal with loot hunting games is the quest for perfection... you're always looking for that perfect item or the perfect build to maximize the efficiency of your character.

Another reason I enjoy these games is because it's low intensity gaming as compared to something like Battlefield for example. In Battlefield, you need to be focused at all times. It demands situational awareness about your own character, your squad mates, enemy positioning, vehicular threats, map control, strategy and of course you're on guard at all times for combat engagements. In contrast, with a game like Diablo, in most cases you can sit back and listen to a podcast or music while you massacre monsters by the hundreds. Different experiences for different moods and all that.

Autofokus

Due to regional pricing, I presume. Would it even be playable though if it isn't out yet in Germany, or would it let someone play it because it is out wherever the key or gift originated from?

Every time, you would need a VPN to start the game, or going into offline mode until the game is officially released in your country.

The_Monk

Thank you for posting (and sharing), Doc. You'll never be short of buddies with whom to share the welcome distraction of gaming - thanks for hanging out here, being one of 'us', and contributing as strongly as you do, despite all you're going through. Hang in there, mate.

Really agree with oipic (as usual!), we are here for you Doc, don't forget that.

---

In other related news, decided to check some streams and there's so many Dark Souls II and Titanfall broadcasts right now. While I'm ready (kinda) to skip Titanfall since I need to focus my savings on other things it's going to be hard to wait until the first week of May for me to play Dark Souls. At least there's always the backlog and I might get a little surprise along this month but we'll see.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't be worried about beating JaseC, there's more important things to worry about in life. Plus, I think Jace's reached the point where he no longer needs food and drink to survive, and just gains sustenance from his ever-growing Steam library instead.

byzantiumfdkta.jpg

"You see, that's the tricky thing, because it's only over time that I can prove it. Thirty, maybe forty years from now, when you're pruning roses from your wheelchair, I'll stroll by your garden gate and say, "Hello, Blue Ninja" and nothing will have changed."

Hi.

I've been having, honestly, the worst year or so of my life. I'm really sick, and have been for several years. Last year, I buried my grandma, who had it. I went, this year, from poor to really poor. I'm at below half the poverty line. My illness limits what I can do employment-wise, and my employment limits my ability to obtain the medical help I need. I suffer from chronic pain and exhaustion, among other symptoms. It's really hard to live, but I manage it as best I can.

I had hoped to save up for 250+ and beat JaseC, but that's looking less and less likely. My boss has decided to cut my hours. As it stands, I have plans to purchase four more video games this year, and those four only. There's a bunch I'd like to grab, as you can see by my wish list on Steam (I get ribbed by my friends 'cause I think there's like 650 games on it), but I can't justify the cost.

I've been saving up for for a very long time. Since I gave away, what, 50 games or so back in the day. It made me really happy to do that, and I want to do that again, 'cause that'd give me a big boost. I realize that's kinda a selfish reason to give things away, but, well, it's my reason.

I figure 115 games lets me purchase my little rant time for you. Thanks for reading.

Enjoy.

EDIT: Here's what I've got and what it does to me. Buried at the end so it doesn't feel like I'm just whoring for attention.

Thanks Doc,

Your story sounds pretty rough and by no means would I expect you to suddenly feel better because of something i said but I think what you're doing is on the right track. Despite being faced with numerous negative circumstances, you're still finding ways to lure out some happiness.

Hope things clear up soon and you can continue enjoying the wonders around you.

byzantiumfdkta.jpg

"You see, that's the tricky thing, because it's only over time that I can prove it. Thirty, maybe forty years from now, when you're pruning roses from your wheelchair, I'll stroll by your garden gate and say, "Hello, Blue Ninja" and nothing will have changed."

The Fountain of Youth isn't a literal thing, my friends...

beFmhGqs.png

It's in there.

Caerith

Van Helsing 2 can now be pre-ordered from their website

http://neocoregames.com/store
I think I'll treat it like an Arkham game and wait for the Complete Edition. I recall people being burned on the DLC for the first game.

Every time, you would need a VPN to start the game, or going into offline mode until the game is officially released in your country.
Thanks, and thanks to Jase as well. I don't remember things being this complicated in the past.

JaseC

Van Helsing 2 can now be pre-ordered from their website

http://neocoregames.com/store

I'm waiting for the pre-order to pop up on Steam. I don't want to pay extra for one of the DDEs only to find that I'm not getting additional Steam DLC.

The Fountain of Youth isn't a literal thing, my friends...

beFmhGqs.png

It's in there.

A game a day keeps old age away!

Thanks, and thanks to Jase as well. I don't remember things being this complicated in the past.

It's a consequence of Ubi being rather paranoid about those in censored regions playing the uncensored version and Germany being stuck waiting for a new release date thanks to the disc pressing faux pas. I'd just buy a key from Nuuvem.

Caerith

It's a consequence of Ubi being rather paranoid about those in censored regions playing the uncensored version and Germany being stuck waiting for a new release date thanks to the disc pressing faux pas. I'd just buy a key from Nuuvem.
They should just release one version and ask people to indicate their region and appropriate level of censorship using the honor system.

Best way to know that there won't be any new DLCs is a GOTY version. Oh, wait, maybe GOLD version. Hmmm... maybe Complete Edition?

Yeah, Civ V was another one that screwed with early adopters (but I didn't feel cheated since I got in at the GOTY edition), but at least they always have the "upgrade to whatever edition" packages.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
As long as the gift isn't from someone in South America or Eastern Europe then you wouldn't need a VPN at all.
I love how South America is getting region locked despite us being charged full price. I mean, is there any reason to lock us when you're asking me 60 freaking bucks for South Park?

I love how South America is getting region locked despite us being charged full price. I mean, is there any reason to lock us when you're asking me 60 freaking bucks for South Park?

I feel the same way. I would be kinda ok with region lock if we got better prices but we haven't.

We are getting less value for the same price as everyone else.

Knurek

I feel the same way. I would be kinda ok with region lock if we got better prices but we haven't.

We are getting less value for the same price as everyone else.

I think the publishers are trying to say "You have hot women, why do you spend your free time playing videogames?".

Indiegala Rise of Flight bundle just unlocked the last game - Megabyte Punch. They also have happy hour going on right now.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Megabyte Punch -- MB-42B61E13CF53B7F4 - Taken by DexterPepper. 9 entrants total.

t1394538010z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
Damn man, I read about your condition, sounds really rough. Hope things start looking up for you soon, you deserve it.

Don't be worried about beating JaseC, there's more important things to worry about in life. Plus, I think Jace's reached the point where he no longer needs food and drink to survive, and just gains sustenance from his ever-growing Steam library instead.
see i try not to visualize too much about jasec so i can imagine he's a sort of ethereal amalgamation of saoirse ronan and a pretty big cd stand

never post a picture yo

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-6B3557997C0C604B - Taken by Mleugie. 1 entrants total.

t1394539411z1.png

JaseC

see i try not to visualize too much about jasec so i can imagine he's a sort of ethereal amalgamation of saoirse ronan and a pretty big cd stand

never post a picture yo

Full of region-specific Football Managers.

Coreda

Just installed The Showdown Effect...

ivemadeahugemistake.gif

Had no idea the game was multiplayer only. I was under the impression it was a single player game. Must have been hazy on the details when I bought it based on an announcement trailer I saw ages ago.

Controls are far too sensitive, too. Ah well, not looking like the game I expected it would be based on initial impressions. Bought it on sale so I'm not too fussed, but not one I'd generally buy.

Vargavinter

Just installed The Showdown Effect...

ivemadeahugemistake.gif

Had no idea the game was multiplayer only. I was under the impression it was a single player game. Must have been hazy on the details when I bought it based on an announcement trailer I saw ages ago.

Controls are far too sensitive, too. Ah well, not looking like the game I expected it would be based on initial impressions. Bought it on sale so I'm not too fussed, but not one I'd generally buy.

Been playing this with a few friends online and we all found it to be a blast, especially when you play team vs team. Tons of fun.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just wanted to add to the generosity of the past few pages, especially DocSeuss. Hope things improve. Only a few spares from bundles, but they're all great games regardless.

Well after a gazillion tries, I finally win Monaco. Thanks a lot for your generosity!

Kaleinc

Banned
The same stuff happens to neighbors of Russia, they pay european price and get region lock as a bonus.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Megabyte Punch -- MB-098AC9ADBD973F0B - Taken by Saty

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Megabyte Punch was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Lord Gabe awaits his throne of glory, counting the days passed since he last left his mark.

The time slowly creeps forward as it seems even valve-time runs out eventually.

Nzyme32

Is anyone seeing a weird barcode like image hidden within the blue download section of the steam client? Does anyone know what it is?

AJKLnEi.png

on linux it's even weirder
eOdl0j6.jpg

Images taken from this reddit thread

As much as I'm in support for VR, I'm not sure I'm ready for a Sony announcement

not looking forward to fanboy wars. And we all know it'll happen, whether it ends up being good or not.

Hmm? What's not classic about Gunslinger and Shadow Warrior?

Killrooms/arenas, upgrades, score attacks are not something I associate with classic FPS.

Is anyone seeing a weird barcode like image hidden within the blue download section of the steam client? Does anyone know what it is?

AJKLnEi.png

on linux it's even weirder
eOdl0j6.jpg

Images taken from this reddit thread

Just checked my Steam and it's there, but it doesn't seem to be an actual barcode--the lines are different colours. CSI ENHANCE/ZOOM/ENHANCE:

95KP9XI.png

UPC codes at least also have calibration lines on each side, which this clearly doesn't have. My guess: either this is data encoded in a weird way or (2000% more likely) this is just a glitch of some sort with the bandwidth meter background.

(The white lines are download activity.)

Nzyme32

Just checked my Steam and it's there, but it doesn't seem to be an actual barcode--the lines are different colours. CSI ENHANCE/ZOOM/ENHANCE:

95KP9XI.png

UPC codes at least also have calibration lines on each side, which this clearly doesn't have. My guess: either this is data encoded in a weird way or (2000% more likely) this is just a glitch of some sort with the bandwidth meter background.

(The white lines are download activity.)

Thanks for clearing that up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom