• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I realised I have the season pass for Bioshock Infinite as well as all the DLC for Dishonored. That's a couple of games worth material isn't it ?

Oh for FUCKS sake.

Restarted Alice on Easy, played for an hour to get to the part I was in previously, finished one of Hatter's sublevels and got my game stuck with a well known and (thanks EA) unpatched bug.

Since the game has only auto-saves, and it saves after you get hit with the bug, that's an hour (plus two hours before restart) down the drain.

Screw it, rage-quitting for now. Game's not worth playing through the tutorial for the third time.

The game's doing you a favor. By now you pretty much experienced everything it has to offer.

derExperte

What I always wondered is even if you know exactly the triggers you have to hit and in which order to progress, how on earth do you manage to do that? I already have a hard time trying to survive, let alone pointing the ball to wherever I want it to go.

There's luck involved of course but after enough practice you'll be able to shoot the balls into the general direction you want to shoot them.

The game's doing you a favor. By now you pretty much experienced everything it has to offer.

But the beautiful levels later on? Which never seem to end. But they all look nice.

oipic

Are they planning to give steam keys for constant c from the groupees bundle?

Most seem to have received their Constant C keys already - I haven't, though.

I contacted the Groupees support folks regarding this about a week ago, and have received no response at all (yet?). Perhaps I'll gently give them another nudge.

jsrv

I'm sooooooooooold.

We got them a while ago.

You should already have the Steam key in your Groupees collection.

they already did ages ago

Most seem to have received their Constant C keys already - I haven't, though.

I contacted the Groupees support folks regarding this about a week ago, and have received no response at all (yet?). Perhaps I'll gently give them another nudge.
Well, crap. It only lists a desura key for me right now, guess I'll go e-mail them

I don't see why some feel that Valve should comment. SteamVR is vendor-agnostic and Valve and Oculus working closely together is due to nothing more than the fact the Rift was and still is the only VR device with a public release.

We can't even get a comment on why the store is constantly down. They expect a comment on VR? Seriously?

If that turns out to be the case, then yes I'll be making my own Steam storefront, the proceeds of which will go towards Enhanced Steam. :)

Would it sort of work like a referral link? You put up your enhanced steam type storefront and purchases made through it net you a % of the sale? If so, I'll funnel all Steam purchases through you.

Whilst they are at it they can give those lazy cunts at Epic a kick in the balls and tell them to get a move on with Bulletstorm and Gears Of War. Remove the GFWL, get the multiplayer working on Gears.... and release them to Steam. Chop chop you lazy fucks.

Yessir, one of my most anticipated games this year :) Whilst for a lot of people Wolfenstein was about the multiplayer for me it's always been about the single player in the series. Having the newest one focuses on that makes me very happy indeed :)

Don't give up hope just yet. They're redoing SW for x64 and are looking to release an updated version soonish. Supposed to bring a lot of improvements in performance so you might just benefit from that :)

http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews...-optimizations-mantle-mod-tools-future-plans/

I noticed we are not steam friends. we should rectify this immediately.

Epic sold the Gears of War franchise entirely to Microsoft, so I would imagine it would fall on them.

Bulletstorm is a weird situation as EA is the publisher. I have a feeling they discussed it, but either couldn't secure funding, couldn't agree on compensation, or EA didn't want to directly support the Steamworks platform.

I think I have an Origin copy of Bulletstorm... will it work there after GFWL dies?

OK weird thing going on with Mercenary Kings.
I run it and want to try it out single player, but the game seems to treat my only DS4 controller as 2 Controllers so it starts with asking me to choose 2 characters from the top. I can control them both but that results in a really small screen @_@
Guess I'm playing this baby online until I can find a fix.

Hide your dinput controller, if you can.

Tellaerin

What I always wondered is even if you know exactly the triggers you have to hit and in which order to progress, how on earth do you manage to do that? I already have a hard time trying to survive, let alone pointing the ball to wherever I want it to go.

First, trap the ball against the flipper by holding down the button. Then release the button. As the ball rolls down the flipper, tap the button again. Where the ball is when you tap determines the direction and speed the ball's going to have. After awhile, you'll develop an intuitive sense of how to aim the ball at particular spots on the table, sometimes combined with shaking the machine at the right moment (but be careful not to shake it too vigorously or you'll tilt! Just a little nudge at the right moment can do wonders, though.)

Edit: And forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here. ^^; It's just that I've met some people who didn't grow up with pinball and were kind of iffy on the whole "aiming the ball" thing. >.>

Tizoc

One of the items in my inventory is Iron Wolf Helm. Apparently I can unpack it. If I do can I sell the items it gives me or does it offer ingame stuff?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed we are not steam friends. we should rectify this immediately.

Sent you a friend invite :)

Well, fuck.

--

I saw someone say they bought Arkham Origins Blackgate PC -- was there a deal on that somewhere? I checked Amazon with the intent of using my $5 credit from MoF and couldn't find a preorder for it.

Both Blackgate and MoF are going cheap via trading so could be via that.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

With a little practice and experimentation, you'll find that you can direct your shots pretty well. For example: launching the ball from the middle of the flipper sends it at a different angle than from the end of the flipper.

Have fun.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

RENA Clash of Champions -- MB-5E6C799A03A681BF
Gravity Badgers -- MB-49F045C19F0CBE33
Sideway New York -- MB-299B95EB5F76E1FB
Velvet Assassin -- MB-4D5C098AE2894421
Gnomoria -- MB-5C417C25ECF0642F
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-153E2C62A3CB7960
Major Mayhem -- MB-AD271CEF2F0F1900
Astro Tripper -- MB-6EA4FAF540F6C8EF
HOARD -- MB-32F54BD497E4F1FD

t1395955060z1.png

Good morning. Thought I'd start the day by whining about something insignificant.

No matter how many times I realise my mistake, I still can't help clicking on the blue steam workshop "button".

capturepfjxu.png

I'm not the only one right?

Turfster

In a slightly more constructive post, the cheapest Crusader Kings II at the moment is at Gamefly with a base 75% off on it and quite a lot of the DLC, plus the extra 20% off from the (UK)MAR20OFF coupon.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't. But I wonder if it's a problem that I haven't played/completed C:LoS and Arkham Origins because MOF and AB are apparently direct follow-ups to those.
I played CLOS2 without MOF and I was able to follow the story just fine. All the Batman games have had pretty self-contained stories too. Hop to it with Origins though. That shit is amazing. Top 5 games from last year easy.
I think it was you -- where did you preorder blackgate?
I've heard bad things about it, but I'd be willing to give it a go if it were cheap enough.
I just got Origins Blackgate from Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
First, trap the ball against the flipper by holding down the button. Then release the button. As the ball rolls down the flipper, tap the button again. Where the ball is when you tap determines the direction and speed the ball's going to have. After awhile, you'll develop an intuitive sense of how to aim the ball at particular spots on the table, sometimes combined with shaking the machine at the right moment (but be careful not to shake it too vigorously or you'll tilt! Just a little nudge at the right moment can do wonders, though.)

Edit: And forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here. ^^; It's just that I've met some people who didn't grow up with pinball and were kind of iffy on the whole "aiming the ball" thing. >.>
Oh not at all, these are some great tips! I guessed that the angle depended on the part of the flipper you hit the ball with, but I could never choose which part it was. Holding the ball against the flipper sounds like a really good idea, and I feel stupid for not realizing that's how it should be done.

I don't understand how shaking works. It only seems to last less than half a second; any more than that and I lose the ball due to tilt. Is it used to slightly correct the ball's trajectory or what?

With a little practice and experimentation, you'll find that you can direct your shots pretty well. For example: launching the ball from the middle of the flipper sends it at a different angle than from the end of the flipper.
Yeah, so the trick is learning which part corresponds with each angle, and how to hit with said part. I always liked pinball, but not knowing this stuff means I sucked a lot. Mind you, I'll still suck, but at least I am not as ignorant as before!

Spare

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Major Mayhem -- MB-6594FA3A276A1EBD - Taken by bornlivedie. 2 entrants total.

t1395870730z1.png

derExperte

Oh not at all, these are some great tips! I guessed that the angle depended on the part of the flipper you hit the ball with, but I could never choose which part it was. Holding the ball against the flipper sounds like a really good idea, and I feel stupid for not realizing that's how it should be done.

Also don't immediately shoot the ball back when it come from above but hold the flippers up and try to control it that way so you can make calculated shots. Blindly shooting everything back as soon as possible is bad and won't let you get better.

And before using shaking you should learn the physics and tables because inexperienced players tend to make it worse with that. The easier Pinball FX2 tables are designed so that the ball doesn't drain at the sides or through the middle randomly anyway.

BruteUA

I finally got In-Home Streaming to work. A setting on my router was enabled during a firmware update that I was not aware of.

I feel like I deserve a little gold star sticker or something.

Tellaerin

I don't understand how shaking works. It only seems to last less than half a second; any more than that and I lose the ball due to tilt. Is it used to slightly correct the ball's trajectory or what?

That's exactly it. It's the only other way to influence the ball besides using the flippers. It's deliberately limited in real machines so that you can't just tilt the table every which way and roll the ball wherever you want to, so videogame versions of pinball reflect that.

You can nudge the machine when the ball's at the top of its arc to influence its direction, or give a little bump to try and keep it going when it's bouncing around between bumpers, or just shake it a little in a last-ditch effort to keep the ball from going down the drain when you see it about to happen. (Usually accompanied by saying, "No no no no no - shit! Dammit!" and losing the ball anyway, at least if you're me. >.> )

I finally got In-Home Streaming to work. A setting on my router was enabled during a firmware update that I was not aware of.

I feel like I deserve a little gold star sticker or something.
Oh man, my feelings on In-Home Streaming are so mixed. I love the concept, but aside from one day two weeks ago, I've never had it work perfectly (minimal lag and full audio) and it's been getting worse recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom