• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh #&#$*! a Mercenary Kings Foil

Miker

My fear is that Microsoft will stick these on the Windows 8 store like they have with Ilomilo. Microsoft's pc interest is haphazard and impossible to understand. Stuff like Age of Empires HD, Age of Mythology Extended Edition and Lococycle get released on steam, but Ilomilo and Hydro Thunder Hurricane get locked to Windows 8 store.

It seems bizarre that of all the games they would release onto Steam, they choose Lococycle.

Amzin

My fear is that Microsoft will stick these on the Windows 8 store like they have with Ilomilo. Microsoft's pc interest is haphazard and impossible to understand. Stuff like Age of Empires HD, Age of Mythology Extended Edition and Lococycle get released on steam, but Ilomilo and Hydro Thunder Hurricane get locked to Windows 8 store.

They put stuff on the Windows store that they want tablet users to (maybe) be able to access. That's not the answer to ALL their reasoning, but it is SOME of their reasoning.

Seanspeed

Banned
I remember trying Viva Pinata and not getting into it, I might just not have been ready for that sort of game though. I'd give it a shot if it came to Steam though, I'm sure.
Viva Pinata is awesome. Its a sim game, so it is a bit time consuming, but its seriously very good. PC version would be great.

Yuuichi

Viva Pinata is awesome. Its a sim game, so it is a bit time consuming, but its seriously very good. PC version would be great.

I'm pretty sure the PC version exists already, but that it's just GFWL locked.

So, I want to go about raising my steam level (currently 11) some, what's the best way to do that?

I want Hydro Thunder Hurricane on Steam!

So, I want to go about raising my steam level (currently 11) some, what's the best way to do that?

Cards. Trade away the sets you don't want for the ones you do. Or, you can just buy the cards from the store. A complete badge costs around $0.50

Turfster

Wait for the next great sale and go nuts with the cheapie event-specific cards.

Having multiple servers for different users would actually (in reality) probably slow things down. Their request would hit the "regular" server, which would be checked to see if you're on the "VIP list" and then if so you'd be directed to the "premium" server for processing.

Having profile flair as an Enhanced Steam supporter might work though. I would have to have a way for Patreon supporters to send me their Steam username to make it work, though.

Good point, didn't think about that. You could also do a special thanks in the credits with people's names that supported you or something. Dunno, it's hard to think of rewards for something that's more of a service rather than a product.

Knurek

blackwell3ycj2y.png

Wrapped this one just now. Lovely game and a massive improvement over the two earlier games, the dev said himself that he spend a 2-3 months on previous games, and this one took almost two year.
You still need to play the earlier games first, else the story won't make any sense, and this is very much a story driven game. Puzzles are almost non-existent, with most of game time being spent either on conversation or cutscenes.
Artwork is still 320x240, but it looks simply stunning, very much on par with late Sierra games (too realistic to compare with LucasArts output). Music is great as well, main motif gets arranged into various, mostly jazzy tunes. Only low point was the ending nu-rock song, which completely didn't fit the rest of the game.
Commentary mode has ~30 minutes of content, but I must say, I'd prefer if it wasn't as much focused on voice acting - roughly half of the entries deal with stories about that.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I should eventually give Frozen Synapse a try considering how many times I've listened to the soundtrack.

Nabs

blackwell3ycj2y.png

Wrapped this one just now. Lovely game and a massive improvement over the two earlier games, the dev said himself that he spend a 2-3 months on previous games, and this one took almost two year.
You still need to play the earlier games first, else the story won't make any sense, and this is very much a story driven game. Puzzles are almost non-existent, with most of game time being spent either on conversation or cutscenes.
Artwork is still 320x240, but it looks simply stunning, very much on par with late Sierra games (too realistic to compare with LucasArts output). Music is great as well, main motif gets arranged into various, mostly jazzy tunes. Only low point was the ending nu-rock song, which completely didn't fit the rest of the game.
Commentary mode has ~30 minutes of content, but I must say, I'd prefer if it wasn't as much focused on voice acting - roughly half of the entries deal with stories about that.

Damn. If that game took him 2 years, how long did Blackwell Deception take?

Great series. I'm excited to play the new game once it's not $14.99.

blackwell3ycj2y.png

I've had those games for a while now, you've really made me want to play them.
In which order do I play the games in order to understand the story?

Is anyone else hyped for Wolfenstein the New Order?

The guns sound crispy and everything looks beautiful.

Yeah, that game looks pretty fun.
I'm very interested to see how iD Tech 5 works on a game that isn't RAGE, fingers crossed for less texture pop-in.

HoosTrax

I should eventually give Frozen Synapse a try considering how many times I've listened to the soundtrack.
Probably my favorite indie game soundtrack. Pretty versatile too -- good coding music, good music for rhythm games like Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Symphony, etc.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I've had those games for a while now, you've really made me want to play them.
In which order do I play the games in order to understand the story?

Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, Deception, I believe. That's chronological as far as releases and the way they are meant to be played but the story is not in chronological order.

Scourged up enough cards to cover the difference for Crusader Kings 2. Can't wait to really dig into the game; for some reason, I had overlooked Paradox's games, but that trailer and the demo sold me on CK2.

You know, I'd love for Pinnacle Profiler's "apply Xinput emulation" thing to work with a first person game for once. Decided to give Shadow Warrior a go since it's been on my backlog for a while and for some reason, I can't get the game to recognize my gamepad. An Xbox 360 pad sending inputs through In-Home Streaming works (until the lag goes batshit insane and crashes the game), but a PS3/PC gamepad hooked directly to my rig doesn't work at all. And because there is no profile on Pinnacle's site (presumably because everyone else has it work right the first time), I'm stuck manually assigning commands to get the damn thing to work.

Haven't noticed any in vids. Low-res textures up close though :p
I can get used to consistently bad textures, it's when they're low res and then fade in detailed textures constantly, that bugs me.

Legacy, Unbound, Convergence, Deception, I believe. That's chronological as far as releases and the way they are meant to be played but the story is not in chronological order.

Thanks!
I'm installing Legacy right now, it sounds real good and it's made by Wadjet Eye Games, they published Resonance one of my favourite Point and click adventure games and they also published Primordia(which I actually managed to get a pre-order exclusive boxed copy of! )

HoosTrax

It's going to be interesting to see Portal Android and Portal PC-stream being played side by side on two Shields.

Ugh, Party of Sin truly sucks ass. Like sweaty, hemorrhoidy ass.
I've heard "poor man's Trine" being used to describe it. Not sure how apt that is.

I was super into the concept, but Frozen Synapse really was a miss for me when I tried to get into it. My big grip was that during the realtime execution phase so many things would happen that could not be accounted for in planning. And by that I don't mean tactical options, I like the idea of having to deal with my enemies moving around and whatnot. What I mean is more stuff like fields of vision not working as expected. Shots hitting corners that they should have gone around. Units not turning around to fire when expected. Combine that with enemies spawning in all over the place and I found my ability to reliably tactically plan really hampered. I played a few hours, but after borking a long mission at the end a few times due to issues that felt like game / AI hiccups or RNG smackdowns as opposed to incorrect tactical planning I just gave up on it. Might be just me that feels that way though, as lots of other folks like it.

HoosTrax

I'm installing Legacy right now, it sounds real good and it's made by Wadjet Eye Games, they published Resonance one of my favourite Point and click adventure games and they also published Primordia(which I actually managed to get a pre-order exclusive boxed copy of! )
Published Gemini Rue as well. Personally, I think the AGS engine they use is really antiquated, and in particular, mouse input has always felt clunky and not very smooth to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom