• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diedac

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sang-Froid -- MB-9EDD9A7A4E7C6F41 - Taken by Leg-End. 15 entrants total.
PixelJunk Shooter -- MB-64EC5EFBEE93B5D4 - Taken by TuckingFypo. 20 entrants total.
Rush Bros -- MB-C9B2CBBFA2D11574 - Taken by nampad. 2 entrants total.

t1395881305z1.png

MRORANGE

Changes for new Announcements & Updates 2014 April Thread

From the discussions from yesterday we are moving to a monthly format, this would be a good idea to reflect the purpose of the OT and how it would serve everyone better.

I've come up with these changes (nothing is final) and feedback would be great.

Anything with a quote box next to it are comments on what each section will be about or why it will be removed/changed.

=====================================================================================================================

iksTYZD7pZ7yO.png

New header logo, sticking with grey tone for the whole thread, each month the header pic will reflect the most prominent game of the month.

iouDDcKTh1bb9.png

Removed? or set lower down as it's quite easy to find this info

ib1KOrAcZsq9wD.png

Wayward Manor - April
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - April 1
Goat Simulator - April 1
Making History: The Great War - April 4
List of all games coming out for steam during that month in order of date, this will be the first thing people will see when going to the OT.

iefwiifBEFRNE.png

a log of gaffers recommended games of the month, gaffer submit in advance by PM on why you should play this game. Still in limbo on how it should be executed.

ibowMgo5uLdmLs.png

Same as always

iQ6y2rT2DYej9.png

Same as always

iDlrV6TJYNOgu.png

Same as always

isJFP3VNjQOje.png

Same as always

i1M3fXU1nmVnc.png

Scrapped? No more icons, as they need changing every month, it's not bad now with batch in PS but it's the linking of each image (yes I know I can have a fixed image name and host it somewhere.), will be a list of links again unless you want images.

ibinxkVtNnzvKk.png

Removed. Just ask in the thread if you are not sure, tbh if it's asking for your Steam password or turn of Steam Guard you should bail out.

iPQknlkBkPsRS.png

Scrapped? I think it's time for this meme to die, plus i'm running out of pictures of Gabe to use.

iA806An0mN32N.png

Removed? It would help curb the 'nothingstopsthistrain' mentality a bit by not posting the stats of top thread posters. Plus we all know by now that JaseC always wins.

Cheddahz

Banned
I hope you're able to change the header logo for the thread whenever Dark Souls II drops and it's the same as the console version

JustinBB7

We should totally have a "Steamgaf member of the month" in the OP.

Winner gets their #1 game on their wishlist!
donated by JaseC ofcourse

Smashman

Neo Member
Uh, hi.
I've been working with jshackles on Enhanced Steam since November.

I made the Regional Price comparison feature...

nampad

Just went on a indie bundle buying spree and nearly bought 100 games. Don't know why I exactly did it but it was so cheap and you probably know the rest of the story.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Modbot giveaway of the month. Either have a month long giveaway for a big game, or highlighting someone who was extra generous the previous month.

BruteUA

Oh man, my feelings on In-Home Streaming are so mixed. I love the concept, but aside from one day two weeks ago, I've never had it work perfectly (minimal lag and full audio) and it's been getting worse recently.

Yeah, it's far from perfect. I only tried messing with it last week because my sister in law and her husband made a surprise multi-day visit and I wasn't sure if I was going to need to go hide for a while. Then when it didn't work it made me angry so I had to figure it out.

thumbs-up-computer-kid-gif.gif

Perfect, I feel like a boss now. Thanks!

Nabs

14 friends own Volgarr the Viking. That would be a cool number if I had 14 Steam friends.

I guess it's time for some Spring cleaning.

MRORANGE

I hope you're able to change the header logo for the thread whenever Dark Souls II drops and it's the same as the console version

Oh you.

I like the header idea.

It could be a gif with different games, but it would slow the page down, up to you guys

No hall of shame is good.

It's becasue you never make it ;p

Modbot giveaway of the month. Either have a month long giveaway for a big game, or highlighting someone who was extra generous the previous month.
We should totally have a "Steamgaf member of the month" in the OP.

Winner gets their #1 game on their wishlist!
donated by JaseC ofcourse

I'll look into that for competition ideas.

I like the "New Steam games out this month" and "Recommendations from GAFfers" bits.

I also approve of that Dark Souls 2 header.

It would be a list of all steam games coming out that month, not sure how Recommendations might work out at the moment.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
From the discussions from yesterday we are moving to a monthly format, this would be a good idea to reflect the purpose of the OT and how it would serve everyone better.

Looks good. The "new Steam games out this month" section might be difficult to maintain and honestly this information is on the home page of Steam. Maybe it could be more like the iOS thread and just have like "Games we're looking forward to this month".

Uh, hi.
I've been working with jshackles on Enhanced Steam since November.

I made the Regional Price comparison feature...

About time you showed up here

Tellaerin

Changes for new Announcements & Updates 2014 April Thread

Anything with a quote box next to it are comments on what each section will be about or why it will be removed/changed

I like where you're going with this, MRORANGE. Very interested in the whole "user recommendations" thing - that'll be a nice addition. I'd say keep the Hall of Shame, though. It's a harmless bit of fun, and something that's become a part of SteamGAF "culture", along with our unofficial official mascot. ; )

(There's one personal request I'd like to make, though. Is there any chance of you using another font for the header graphics? Nothing personal, man, but the irregular kerning in the font you've been using has been driving me nuts since the GOTY awards. ^^; Hell, I'll recommend similar alternatives if you really need one.)

Honestly all I want is something that posts actual news, new releases, and the dailies at the top of each page. Maybe give some trusted posters the ability to pm modbot some info and he can repost it.

The thread has too much nonsense and moves too fast to actually get any announcements and news out of it without squatting and reading every " DOES THIS HAVE CARDS IM TOO LAZY TO USE GOOGLE " post.

Oreoleo

I've long felt acknowledging people simply for posting a lot is a horrible trend. I have to give credit to JaseC for almost always contributing to the thread or conversation in a real way with his posts but it seems like a few people on the Hall of Shame post for postings' sake in a vain attempt to climb the ranks, and end up clogging up the thread and making it harder to find relevant info in between a mountain of Soairse gifs, as an example. So I'm all in favor of this section being removed from the OP. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

Turfster

God damn it 2K/irrational.
Don't make me reinstall all the prerequisites, start the game, get to the main menu, CTD and then "finish the installation".
At least it worked the second time I booted the game.

Tellaerin

I've long felt acknowledging people simply for posting a lot is a horrible trend. I have to give credit to JaseC for almost always contributing to the thread or conversation in a real way with his posts but it seems like a few people on the Hall of Shame post for postings' sake in a vain attempt to climb the ranks, and end up clogging up the thread and making it harder to find relevant info in between a mountain of Soairse gifs, as an example. So I'm all in favor of this section being removed from the OP. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

I'd probably agree if I felt that we had a bunch of people here deliberately spamming in pursuit of that dubious honor, but I really haven't seen that kind of behavior from anyone here. I seriously doubt you'd see a difference in the nature and length of peoples' posts if you were to remove it.

Grief.exe

I like all the ideas, maybe if I could make a suggestion you can take it or leave it.

Stack the games like this with no information to save space. The release date info becomes redundant, if someone is interested they will click and check out the store page.

capsule_sm_120.jpg
capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg
capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg

You can easily get the smaller images by using http://cdn.highwinds.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/(APPID HERE)/capsule_sm_120.jpg

I like all the ideas, maybe if I could make a suggestion you can take it or leave it.

Stack the games like this with no information to save space. The release date info becomes redundant, if someone is interested they will click and check out the store page.

capsule_sm_120.jpg
capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg
capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg

You can easily get the smaller images by using http://cdn.highwinds.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/(APPID HERE)/capsule_sm_120.jpg

Should've known the grid view without spaces advocate would champion this idea. ;)

That said, I like it. :D

Are there seriously people who just post "filler" to pad their post count in these threads?
I don't think I'm guilty... so I don't think I should take offense to this... but I don't know that I've ever looked at someone and thought "they want to be on the top of the wall of shame next time" based on their post content.

kulapik

About time we were moving into monthly posts!

Dupy all the time :p

Oh yeah, I should probably mention this bad boy.
http://translation.enhancedsteam.com/

I like to think it's helped out translators!

And thanks for the welcomes.

I was wondering to ask jshackles if he would like an Spanish translation of the plugin, but it seems like I won't have to ask! Cheers! :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd probably agree if I felt that we had a bunch of people here deliberately spamming in pursuit of that dubious honor, but I really haven't seen that kind of behavior from anyone here. I seriously doubt you'd see a difference in the nature and length of peoples' posts if you were to remove it.
I would post more knowing that I wouldn't be on that shameful list muahaha

I would post more knowing that I wouldn't be on that shameful list muahaha

Hahaha, yeah, if anything I hate being in it. Especially on top.

I would somehow end up on the top of the VitaGAF threads for a few months and I didn't really feel like I wanted to be there.

Now that SteamGAF is my new home, I've managed to take a spot in the wall, but I'd rather not have it. I just like discussing things with people in this thread who share an interest in my preferred gaming platform(s). :p

Oreoleo

Maybe it's just a byproduct of the community getting larger and it's not as much of a problem as I'm imagining. I remember a year or two ago when you only had to go back a page to find out what the current daily is. I like Steve's idea of having a current info/news dump at the top of the page because the fact of the matter is trying to find breaking news on whatever new game just got added to the registry or some secret deal going on that someone might have missed is.. not easy. That's basically what I'm trying to get at, is it's harder to find useful info between chat posts or whatever you want to call it, than it used to be or should be, imo. But I guess that's part of why the OP will be getting an overhaul.

Personally I wouldn't mind having a separate Steam community thread and have this one more geared towards news and deals and whatnot.

Are there seriously people who just post "filler" to pad their post count in these threads?
I don't think I'm guilty... so I don't think I should take offense to this... but I don't know that I've ever looked at someone and thought "they want to be on the top of the wall of shame next time" based on their post content.

I'm not going to name names as I pretty much like everyone who posts in this thread, and it's secondary to the point I'm trying to make if I "call someone out" but on more than one occasion I've seen people post things in here and I think "this has no business being in the Steam thread" and is more suited to a Facebook status update or another, more relevant thread (and no it's not you).

If you didn't feel like being there, then why did you post there?

Being the top poster, silly cheese person.
I like VitaGAF just fine... I just felt alarmed that I was somehow the top poster in the thread and didn't like holding that position.

Maybe it's just a byproduct of the community getting larger and it's not as much of a problem as I'm imagining. I remember a year or two ago when you only had to go back a page to find out what the current daily is. I like Steve's idea of having a current info/news dump at the top of the page because the fact of the matter is trying to find breaking news on whatever new game just got added to the registry or some secret deal going on that someone might have missed is.. not easy. That's basically what I'm trying to get at, is it's harder to find useful info between chat posts or whatever you want to call it, than it used to be or should be, imo. But I guess that's part of why the OP will be getting an overhaul.

Personally I wouldn't mind having a separate Steam community thread and have this one more geared towards news and deals and whatnot.

I generally find out what the dailies are by, y'know, going to http://www.steampowered.com. ;)
That and there's a decent group on Steam that usually posts a deal roundup daily so I get it in my activity feed.
But I know what you mean -- though I generally skim through any pages I've missed since last checking the thread and find posts like those Turfster makes about new bundles pretty easy to pick out.
I think you suggestion also depends on how many posts per page people have set -- if you use the (superior) 100ppp option and the "info" post is every 20 or 50 posts, you'd see the same info 2 or 5 times per page instead of once at the top.

Just random thoughts. :p

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

MRORANGE

Honestly all I want is something that posts actual news, new releases, and the dailies at the top of each page. Maybe give some trusted posters the ability to pm modbot some info and he can repost it.

The thread has too much nonsense and moves too fast to actually get any announcements and news out of it without squatting and reading every " DOES THIS HAVE CARDS IM TOO LAZY TO USE GOOGLE " post.

Might be something to talk with Stump, Modbot can post himself, so this seem like a good idea, I wonder if it can be set so it posts every 5 pages at a certain post number?

that thread looks awesome

let me know if you want help with anything broski

Thanks, the new stuff in the OT will be more community focused so anyone can submit something.

On the other hand, the first page always lasts what, 2 minutes?
It wouldn't slow down the page for long ;)

Making me use GIF's in a OT is a bad bad idea.

I like where you're going with this, MRORANGE. Very interested in the whole "user recommendations" thing - that'll be a nice addition. I'd say keep the Hall of Shame, though. It's a harmless bit of fun, and something that's become a part of SteamGAF "culture", along with our unofficial official mascot. ; )

(There's one personal request I'd like to make, though. Is there any chance of you using another font for the header graphics? Nothing personal, man, but the irregular kerning in the font you've been using has been driving me nuts since the GOTY awards. ^^; Hell, I'll recommend similar alternatives if you really need one.)

I think it might because of this:

ieEWgdtnWOA8x.png

I think i'm using the font used in Gravity or Shame, but yeah any font recommendations would be great.

Will you be including links to previous Steam OT threads in the post?

All 22 threads? Not really, for this year that would be fine.

Looks good. The "new Steam games out this month" section might be difficult to maintain and honestly this information is on the home page of Steam. Maybe it could be more like the iOS thread and just have like "Games we're looking forward to this month".
The "new steam games out this month" section is going to be impressive by the month's end.
I imagine the New Games This Month list would get rather unwieldy. Perhaps instead it could be {month} GAF Hype Train or something like that.

We could merge recommendations and new releases into one I guess.

Excellent choice. What comes next once you cross that bridge is one of the best boss battles in the whole game (and my personal favorite).

Hopefully that screenshot is a true representation of the PC game :lol.

This might go to a vote if you want to keep it or not.

capsule_sm_120.jpg
capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg
capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg

capsule_sm_120.jpg

Smaller icons? no problem, yeah dates seem silly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Omg the Arkham Origins Cold Cold Heart dlc achievements leaked on Steam. I can barely contain the hype looking at what this is gonna contain.

Cheddahz

Banned
Being the top poster, silly cheese person.
I like VitaGAF just fine... I just felt alarmed that I was somehow the top poster in the thread and didn't like holding that position.

Ahh alright, that makes more sense
HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

HALF MINUTE HERO TWO.

I'm quite excited for it. Hopefully I'll get around to it whenever it comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom