• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My first days with ROG Ally X

pasterpl

Just arrived.

HLfk1Rk.jpeg
Enjoy, no need for tinkering with Proton or checking Proton DB etc. Just plug and play after initial install and updates.

Poppyseed

Wait until it destroys whatever microsd card you have in there because the geniuses at ASUS put it right next to a heat vent. I own and like my ASUS ROG but had to manually update the ssd as I could no longer use SD cards. Keep your Steam Deck as a backup, that would be my suggestion.
You’re thinking of the OG Ally. The Ally X apparently doesn’t have this issue.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
With the right settings (mix of high/medium/low) I am getting around 60fps in black myth wukong and game stil looks great on my ROG ally x. So 2x steam deck performance.
That’s a very impressive performance boost.

pasterpl

Another game tested, this time older one. Quantum Break, always had issues on PC, on Ally X, everything set to Ultra and got stable 30fps. Impressed as game still looks amazing at 1080p.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Everything on ULTRA

JUST TESTED `NFS unbound on default settings and getting 40-30 fps stable.

Only 30 fps? Where's lossless scalling?
Everything on Ultra at 1080p probably can go to medium low settings and 900p to get 60fps or even 120fps.

Best thing. I just need to install game and it works without any tinkering.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
I got this for a product shoot and wanted to test it against my legion go. Currently playing FF13 and it runs at a smooth 60fps on the Legion Go where it's a stutter fest on the Ally X. Wanted a reason to keep it, can't think of one.

SaiyanRaoh

I LOVE my SD OLED but I got an Ally X to compliment it. I have no desire to put Steam OS on a second device. I believe the combination of Steam OS, track pads, amazing low watt performance, steam input, back buttons etc are synergistic for the SD and can't be replicated on a device other than a SD.
I got the Ally X because I want a Windows machine, warts and all, because I can run EVERYTHING a windows PC can without installing apps, exploits and backdoors to get games and specific emulators working. Yeah, for me, not having track pads on the Ally hurts but I can just play games that play better with them on the SD. It's one of the many reasons I won't sell it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I love my steam deck; but I installed windows on it and never looked back. You linux nerds can scream and cry all you want but setting everything up on windows is just objectively easier. Yes, there are a lot of nice features I enjoy about SteamOS, like TPD control, CPU and GPU clock speed controls, etc; but many of those can be done in windows as well. Steam Deck Tools says hello.

Try running a game with Lossless Scaling in SteamOS. You just can't. Want to play a game with mods? You can probably forget that. Want to install literally anything that doesn't come from Steam itself? Gets complicated fast.

The negligible gain you might get from using a lighter weight OS like SteamOS could easily get eaten up by a proton compatibility layer. For me, the absurd amount of control you get from switching to windows is worth far more than the meager offset of a few extra frames.

SteamOS can be a beautiful experience. It's a very tailored, console-like experience, and I think if you just want to play Steam only games, it can be a wonderful time. The moment you start to complicate the process at all it falls apart very quickly, and if you're not familiar with Linux, it can be an ugly mess.
I think the stuff that Linux lacks (guaranteed mod support, 100% compatiblity, more options) is something that is more important on a primary gaming desktop setup as opposed to a handheld.

When people buy these they buy them with the express purpose of gaming on the go. You're not exactly going to be spending a lot of time modding or tweaking settings on the bus or in an uber. That's why SteamOS is such an effective gaming OS for these devices.

Top Bottom