• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Once again we all get coupons for a game that's currently on sale, and doesn't stack with the existing discount.

At least this time the coupon discount is higher than the sale discount.

Except we can't use them.

Turfster

Man, fuck the combat "design" of Burial at Sea.
And don't get me started on doors that suddenly get locked for no reason after you've passed through them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there an easy way to make steam identify about 100 games that are installed on anther hard drive? I want to keep steam it self on the SSD, but have most of the catalog on the 2TB drive.

Copons

Feel free to recommend me some fonts, but these were the settings I used in PS:

AyXnwNs.png

I don't have PS installed here, but if you tell me what font is that (a PM is fine), tomorrow at work I could tinker with it to see where is the problem! :)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Thomas Was Alone. It was a neat platformer with plenty of abilities, and only had a few frustrating jumps/puzzles. I didn't pay attention to the story much, but I have a vague idea of what went down. Was a good way to kill 3-4 hours.

I've spent days laboriously playing through an XCOM EU run with a squad of only four soldiers in order to unlock the relevant achievement. Job done. Except it isn't because it turns out it's an EW only achievement which I failed to pick up on even though I checked this aspect before starting that playthrough.

boo and indeed hoo

HoosTrax

I've spent days laboriously playing through an XCOM EU run with a squad of only four soldiers in order to unlock the relevant achievement. Job done. Except it isn't because it turns out it's an EW only achievement which I failed to pick up on even though I checked this aspect before starting that playthrough.

boo and indeed hoo
I think AchievementStats is usually helpful for breaking them down by base game and DLCs.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Have yet to see it mentioned in the thread, but Unclaimed Worlds is now in early access. It's currently 10% off, making it $11.69.

About the Game

We take the colony sim genre into the near future, onto a lush planet where humans are making their first foothold. Characters and alien wildlife are brought to life through a rigorous simulation and the game plays out as a tug-of-war between humans and nature on a planet full of opportunities and dangers.

Understanding the alien environment is crucial - the resources you discover will provide a number of production options making you able to adapt when food gets scarce and equipment breaks.

Your role

In this game you will not feel like a commander issuing orders, because the settlers have no command chain but rely on voting if they disagree. You will get the sense that you're part of the community, organizing your group’s decisions, not bossing them around. You do this by using the Pioneer Planning Unit, an instrument issued by the Tau Ceti Mission. You will feel like a member of the group, sharing their victories and failures.
We will keep polishing the A.I. to ensure that humans and animals act as realistically and independently as possible.

Setting

The game takes place in a realistic sci-fi setting, in a plausible future without Faster-than-Light travel.

The year is 2238 and Earth’s first and only interstellar colonization ship has reached the end goal of its 100 year journey – a terran planet in the Tau Ceti star system. 2100 humans will now make this planet their new home. There are no additional supplies or reinforcements coming in - they must make do with what they brought and what they can find.

Early Access: Planned features

During the Early access phase we wish to develop most of the following features. But our plans could change, depending on the feedback we get and the resources we have.

• Modding support (maps, scenarios, game data)
  • Save game functionality (games cannot presently be saved/loaded)
  • Languages (community provided translations)
  • Many more scenarios
  • Creatures can feed on food items and carcasses
  • Research
  • Diseases / treatment
  • More animations / effects
  • Interface graphics polished

After finishing the first episode we want to build up the world with more gameplay features over a series of other episodes, each with a unifying theme. They will be in the form of either expansions or patches, but will be free of charge once you've bought the game.

StAidan

Oops, brainfart. I meant to say DirectInput and Xinput. Not that it's easier than the DS4 to set up necessarily, but not complex at all.

It's a bigger version of the same pad that's on the 3DS XL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6553PW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Comes with a mini CD with drivers but both modes worked out of the box for me on Windows 7 without any configuration.

Just a followup, I bought one of these adapters to use with my Wii U Pro Controller. So far I'm pretty happy with it, although the XInput behavior of mixing up the button layout from the standard 360 layout proved a little too much for me. My solution was:

-- Switch the adapter to DirectInput mode
-- Use the X360ce tool to emulate XInput with my desired button layout

After that, it works simply awesome and I think I can probably retire my old 360 controller.

It's 4+ hours, I'd say that's pretty long, specially for an FPS DLC. Most FPS games are 8 hours these days. So with Ep 1 combined it's longer than most current games.
You made a point. The funny thing is, the moment I got tranquilizer darts for my crossbow, I thought the number of people I killed would affect the ending, Dishonored style. So I ended up crouching and hitting people in the back for the most of the time, but it doesn't affect anything.

rookiejet

Personally, I can't make heads or tails of the pinball games on Steam. It's like there's a bunch of random things happening, stuff getting activated, and I have no idea what I did to trigger them, and what I'm supposed to do to trigger the next event. It all seems rather poorly explained. Too much flashy, shiny, blinky stuff everywhere, that I can't pick out what things I should be aiming for.

Pinball Arcade points out its tables' easter eggs and activation thingies, and even makes mini goals out of them tied to achievements; it's just that those instructions, I assume, are lost in the translation for most pinball beginners. It could definitely use a basic techniques tutorial, and maybe even a videogame-y training mode for each table (cross-sections of a table's expected play). Not too much to ask, I don't think, Farsight Studios.
I bet they don't know how to play pinball either. That's why they haven't done it. Goddamn phonies.

There are videos and other resources (/r/pinball is useful), but lol. I'm just keeping the ball from going down the drain, most of the time, entranced by the shiny, blinky stuff happening... *stares with hollow eyes*

Oreoleo

Yeah, I like it a lot.
The regular hexcells was kind of easy, but the plus expansion has been pretty challenging.

Totally agree, Hexcells takes way too long to ramp up in difficulty. 36 levels and really only maybe a dozen of them are worth anything, the rest feel like tutorials.

Hexcells Plus nails it though. I've gotten about 9 hours out of it and still have 4 or 5 left to perfect. Great deal for $2.50.

Levyne

Banned
New Bioshock DLC is fun, and the game is still very pretty at times. Seems to play more "correctly" than the base game. You have to use your vigors.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Also don't immediately shoot the ball back when it come from above but hold the flippers up and try to control it that way so you can make calculated shots. Blindly shooting everything back as soon as possible is bad and won't let you get better.

And before using shaking you should learn the physics and tables because inexperienced players tend to make it worse with that. The easier Pinball FX2 tables are designed so that the ball doesn't drain at the sides or through the middle randomly anyway.
This is exactly what I always do, bouncing back the ball as soon as I can.

That's exactly it. It's the only other way to influence the ball besides using the flippers. It's deliberately limited in real machines so that you can't just tilt the table every which way and roll the ball wherever you want to, so videogame versions of pinball reflect that.

You can nudge the machine when the ball's at the top of its arc to influence its direction, or give a little bump to try and keep it going when it's bouncing around between bumpers, or just shake it a little in a last-ditch effort to keep the ball from going down the drain when you see it about to happen. (Usually accompanied by saying, "No no no no no - shit! Dammit!" and losing the ball anyway, at least if you're me. >.> )
Seriously guys, thanks a lot for these excellent tips! Though I'll follow DerExperte's advice and avoid shaking the table for now, but this will be great to know in the future.

Once again we all get coupons for a game that's currently on sale, and doesn't stack with the existing discount.

At least this time the coupon discount is higher than the sale discount.

Except we can't use them.

I got 3 of them... and I'm still wondering if I don't already have a Steam key coming cause I bought the bundle it was in.

--

Y'know, I usually only use SAM to idle for cards so I don't have to install the game or so it's easy to manage running more than one game at once.
Occasionally I use it to unlock actual achievements in the cases that I earned them on other platforms and don't feel like doing it all over again like I did with MGR:R (see: RE6) or when game design for achievement unlocks is terrible and potentially ruins the way I would play the game (OFDP with it's non-stacking medal count achievements).
But for some reason this Mercenary Kings "I paid $60 or more on Kickstarter to unlock this" achievement pisses me off enough that I'm considering unlocking it solely out of spite.

HoosTrax

Playing hexcells plus when tired isn't the smartest thing I've ever done.

Just stared at a puzzle for like an hour, just couldn't see the solution.
I had one of these moments, just this weekend. Woke up, and start playing the game without eating any breakfast. Apparent lack of food makes you stupid. Or at least how it felt.

Lunaniem

But for some reason this Mercenary Kings "I paid $60 or more on Kickstarter to unlock this" achievement pisses me off enough that I'm considering unlocking it solely out of spite.

They should update the achievement description for it now since you can get it by talking to a character and using in-game money.

Off topic, but anyway. I tend to listen to MP3s when playing certain games, tweaking the volume until it matches with the game's sfx. Now I want to basically do the same with GTA V on my PS3 which is hooked up to the same TV. Is it possible to essentially have my headphones receive audio from two separate inputs on my TV at the same time?

Salsa

anyone remember an AA flag for Bioshock Infinite? playing Burial at Sea now and jeez.. in-game option doesnt cut it

pretty sure im fucked since it's DX11. Downsampling weirdly murders the framerate

Salsa

ah man could have sworn I owned Explodemon in a bundle but I dont :(

on the bright side I had forgotten we got one finger death punch keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom