• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say the following about Uncharted 3, which I wrote in a previous topic:

I can't say the same about Uncharted 2, which I still consider the best in the series.

I still think most people who didn't like Uncharted 3 (after loving Uncharted 2) felt that way in part because Uncharted 3 took a step back toward Uncharted. This is why Uncharted 3 is almost tied for best in the series for me.

--

I cannot believe I've acquired another 25+ games in the last 24 hours. JaseC, what'd you do to me?!

I still think most people who didn't like Uncharted 3 (after loving Uncharted 2) felt that way in part because Uncharted 3 took a step back toward Uncharted. This is why Uncharted 3 is almost tied for best in the series for me.!

Eh, it's okay. I have no doubt UC4 will be great. If nothing else, the series is relatively consistent in quality.

yogloo

You guys remember that Arcade that lets you walk around in your own build room? Seems like it has a kickstarter now, and I found these screenshots:

9961ef85deb9227fc4f775d029289bea_large.jpg

72d82627f6716dd2c1626510eccd1dc7_large.jpg

Man, I played the Alpha/Beta prototype he has on his site, and it was super fun, but a bit clunky. But playing a fully done version with the rift must be so awesome. I kinda hope Valve makes something like this themselves for Steam once VR takes off.

I can imagine going into the achievement room. Like some sort of trophy room. That would be glorious.

I can say the following about Uncharted 3, which I wrote in a previous topic:

I can't say the same about Uncharted 2, which I still consider the best in the series.
Don't want to derail the thread much more, but I totally agree. I had high hopes for U3. Uncharted 2 was my first PS3 game. The opening is still wonderfully crafted and cinematic and remains one of my favorite openings ever. That collapsing hotel set piece is still my favorite scripted moment in a game. Uncharted 3's story felt dull compared to two. The set pieces were bigger and more bombastic but 1) most were ruined by the trailers, there were no surprises and 2) many of them were rehashes of moments from the second. Nothing matched the tension of the cat & mouse battle with the tank and the subtle immersive calm of the village

IMO

Didn't mean to derail the thread with my Uncharted Q haha, it would just seem a bit weird to jump into the story mid-way through.

The games are pretty much stand alone and what you don't know they either recap or you can pick up quickly. It's not like the end of Uncharted is a cliffhanger that is picked up in Uncharted 2. :)

Sure, you get a better idea of what's going on maybe, but still, when you meet Chloe in the opening scene, you have no idea who she is because a bunch of the characters are new (other than Elena and Sully, pretty much).

The games are pretty much stand alone and what you don't know they either recap or you can pick up quickly. It's not like the end of Uncharted is a cliffhanger that is picked up in Uncharted 2. :)

Sure, you get a better idea of what's going on maybe, but still, when you meet Chloe in the opening scene, you have no idea who she is because a bunch of the characters are new (other than Elena and Sully, pretty much).
Yeah I thought about that afterwards, wouldn't miss all that much I guess (except for more of that delightful little scamp Nathan Drake).

Grief.exe

Any reason why just Uncharted 2?

The general consensus seems to be that U2 is the best of the series. I'll get my taste of the series there, and if I want more I can pick up the other games as well.

Solid collection so far. Glad to see Valkyria Chronicles and Vanquish in there.

I'll probably end up grabbing Bayo as well despite the issues with the PS3 version. I really hope Sega takes notice and brings all three to Steam!

Tellaerin

The general consensus seems to be that U2 is the best of the series. I'll get my taste of the series there, and if I want more I can pick up the other games as well.

The only problem with playing the best one first is that if you do decide you want more, the others are going to feel disappointing by comparison. (It's kind of a shame that some series demand to be played in sequence, now that I'm thinking about it. Otherwise I'd be telling newcomers to play Deus Ex 2 -> DX: HR -> DX 1...)

gdt

I'll probably end up grabbing Bayo as well despite the issues with the PS3 version. I really hope Sega takes notice and brings all three to Steam!

I'd get UC1, UC2, then UC 3, and then TLOU. You see Naughty Dog evolve their tech and writing and animation through all the games. The first 3 aren't very long (like 10 hours apiece, shorter probably).

Grief.exe

This Halo: Spartan Assault news and Ms. Splosion Man removing GFWL is increasing my confidence that Microsoft will at least be bringing some GFWL titles over to Steamworks.

The only problem with playing the best one first is that if you do decide you want more, the others are going to feel disappointing by comparison. (It's kind of a shame that some series demand to be played in sequence, now that I'm thinking about it. Otherwise I'd be telling newcomers to play Deus Ex 2 -> DX: HR -> DX 1...)

I see what you are saying, I generally don't have problems with something like that. To be honest, I am assuming I will have my fill of the Uncharted series after I play the second one.

I'd get UC1, UC2, then UC 3, and then TLOU. You see Naughty Dog evolve their tech and writing and animation through all the games. The first 3 aren't very long (like 10 hours apiece, shorter probably).

I've already beaten Last of Us! First game I played when I picked up the PS3.

How are the Dungeon Siege games? That pack is looking pretty tasty if its worth it.

I couldn't get into the first one at all. It felt like a clunkier Diablo 1.
Part 2 seems kinda interesting but it's on the back burner for now.

I spent the most time with part 3. In a number of ways it is scaled back from the previous games and you'd be shocked to discover Obsidian developed it(certainly doesn't show in the writing). The combat is the most fun of the three and while the difficulty is uneven (I've been practically one-shotted a few times) it's still pretty decent on normal.

Only got about halfway through and did the DLC though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What about BL for Borderlands? :lol

"Blands" because you can't describe the experience of Borderlands without "Bland". </morningbus>

Edit: Reincarnation's latest build doesn't like my PC at all. I'm going to have to wait for another patch.

Salsa

Unfortunately it burns out pretty fast due to the lack of modes and options.

TF2 should be amazing though as I expect it to be a fully fleshed out sequel.

if I get a week out of constant play and the occasional match for the rest of the year then im satisfied

also CTF is great

Tame

One of these days Blood Omen 1 will magically appear in the Legacy of Kain collections.

even though i hate all the Soul Reaver games, id still buy them just to get my grubby paws on Blood Omen

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Everyone's a critic. :lol

I actually didn't mind the original Blands and while I did eventually tire of the sequel that's simply because I made the mistake of smashing through the Blands DLC prior to release, which ranges from awful (Mad Moxxi) to decent (Dr. Ned); the lack of fast travel points in General Knoxx and Claptrap in particular really drags things on as you're often asked to go back and forth between the game world's polar points. A mate and I will be co-op'ing Blands 2 in a few months and to that end I've been keeping an eye out for a sale on the GOTY Edition.

Salsa

Borderlands 1 was fun but 90 percent of the reason was cause I beat it in an allnighter with friends on LAN

I played Borderlands 2 on my own out of boredom and yeah.. that was a different experience

I have all the DLC but havent touched it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom