• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

He posted in the last thread, actually. He's doing okay, I think. No explanation for the removals though.

I remember that post, Thief obviously did him in. Game was just so bad drove him off of Steam and GAF entirely ;)

Love that cat gif Xelios posted, I could watch it for hours. Hope everything is well with everybody, including/especially Xelios, I'm off to bed.

jANrZMD.gif

Salsa, Bravely for $32. Should I pull the trigger?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GV4V8XC/15-24-20

One of these days Blood Omen 1 will magically appear in the Legacy of Kain collections.

even though i hate all the Soul Reaver games, id still buy them just to get my grubby paws on Blood Omen

I have them all, but the one I really want a crack at again is Blood Omen. I got stuck somewhere in the first 1/3 or so of the game back on the PSX in the days when we didn't have the internet. :lol

I have it on PSN, but I wish it would work on my Vita.
I'd be happy to settle for PC.

I actually didn't mind the original Blands and while I did eventually tire of the sequel that's simply because I made the mistake of smashing through the Blands DLC prior to release, which ranges from awful (Mad Moxxi) to decent (Dr. Ned); the lack of fast travel points in General Knoxx and Claptrap in particular really drags things on as you're often asked to go back and forth between the game world's polar points. A mate and I will be co-op'ing Blands 2 in a few months and to that end I've been keeping an eye out for a sale on the GOTY Edition.

It's better fun with friends. I loved Claptrap and Dr. Ned (the intro story for Ned is FANTASTIC), my biggest knock on them was the achievement structure. I can't even count the number of times I had to kill the final boss of Claptrap.

I liked 2 as well, I used to play on x360 with one of my friends... but he got a bit busy and it fell to the wayside...

Salsa

I remember that post, Thief obviously did him in. Game was just so bad drove him off of Steam and GAF entirely ;)

Love that cat gif Xelios posted, I could watch it for hours. Hope everything is well with everybody, including/especially Xelios, I'm off to bed.

jANrZMD.gif

I almost got it at $40 since I can only eShop stuff but I still have SMTIV to beat

I'd say go for it if you feelin like some JRPG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
New Groupees is live

$1

Sang-Froid Tales of Werewolves (Steam)
BeatBlasters III (Steam)
Gun Metal (Steam)

$3.50

Half Minute Hero (Steam)
Echo of the Winds (Greenlight)
Epigenesis (Steam)
A-Train 8 (Steam)
Mystery Game

Apparently Groupees accepts BitCoin now.

Edit: Spares:
ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A-Train 8 -- MB-642FFF739BFA2234 - Taken by topyy
Epigenesis -- MB-814D128459D8FE32 - Taken by Deques
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves -- MB-35F6D586F355FFC7 - Taken by KenOD
Half-Minute Hero -- MB-EC067EE65D55A2F7 - Taken by kudoboi

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hmm, I don't actually want any of those second tier Groupees games, but I'm always worried I might miss out on some good mystery game. Choices choices.

Edit: Well that made it easier to hold off on. Thanks JaseC.

I'm no Salsa, but I can say it's a very great game for anyone looking for the type of classic RPG Square Soft used to make with job systems, unique and different combat mechanics, creative enemies, strategy for fighting enemies of different types or behaviours, and lots of content between it's main story and side-quests (which are not required beyond your own desire to do them). The only warning I give is that it can feel difficult as compared to a lot of current RPGs and alas at times grinding is required, but due to the battle system and learning certain tactics, I don't feel it's ever all that bad.

I do recommend doing the Bravely Default demo first. It's called a demo, but it's actually a 6 hour long prologue with it's own story and content that can be brought into the full game, all for free and rather enjoyable on it's own.

Arthea

I have Last of Us as well, just no case for it yet. Planning on adding Shadow, Okami, and Journey at the very least to my collection. I have both SotC and Okami on PS2, but the HD versions are very good while the emulation is spotty.

pic

Can I suggest Resonance of Fate? if it even isn't your thing (and a game is a tad repetitive), it is worth buying this game for experiencing that battle system alone, one of Tri-Ace weirdest combats for sure.
I see you are getting Journey, you could buy Flower as well, it's the most relaxing game I even played, except one level, and mastering mechanics is somehow very satisfying, feels like floating or something. :)

Can I suggest Resonance of Fate? if it even isn't your thing (and a game is a tad repetitive), it is worth buying this game for experiencing that battle system alone, one of Tri-Ace weirdest combats for sure.
I see you are getting Journey, you could buy Flower as well, it's the most relaxing game I even played, except one level, and mastering mechanics is somehow very satisfying, feels like floating or something. :)

On Resonance of Fate, once you've played a third of the game you've seen everything the battle system has to offer (it's really a one-trick pony once you understand it) and it just goes on and on and on and drags the whole experience down. I wouldn't recommend it.

I REALLY wanted to like it because it's pretty and creative but I have no idea how anyone was able to finish that game. Condensed into 15 hours it would've been amazing.

KenOD

Resonance of Fate was a great RPG to me and well worth getting, though it's battle system can leave some people bewildered and so if someone is considering it I recommend the following to pay attention to.

Video to help explain the mechanics, as the game does a poor job. Once you do, and if you don't grow tired of it/don't abuse one specific technique, it's a fun John Woo style combat that I personally preferred over the standard stand in a row style of most games not named Grandia and Ni No Kuni (another possible PS3 game to get).
http://youtu.be/UzrONfwallY
Guide for it's battle system.
http://rpgland.com/sega/everything-...ance-of-fate-part-1-the-battle-system/#system

For those not interested in it as a RPG, I can also recommend the game as a great fashion game where you get to dress up your characters. It's surprisingly fun for a lot of people to do so.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
games

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sang-Froid -- MB-562608D35ECB2A29 - Taken by Vandrar. 4 entrants total.
Gun Metal -- MB-FCC523D6B6079CD5 - Taken by KenOD. 5 entrants total.
Half Minute Hero -- MB-F53EF4EEFE165076 - Taken by Anteater. 11 entrants total.

t1395993494z1.png

Tellaerin

You know, it's kind of sad when I find myself using the time I'd spend playing games to sift through everything on sale right now, sorted by price, in search of hidden gems to (possibly) use my card money on. (I'm eyeing Front Mission Evolved right now. >.> ) Even though I already have stuff sitting in my backlog that I'm meaning to play. Have I really come to this? Steam, what have you done to me?

Arthea

On Resonance of Fate, once you've played a third of the game you've seen everything the battle system has to offer (it's really a one-trick pony once you understand it) and it just goes on and on and on and drags the whole experience down. I wouldn't recommend it.

I REALLY wanted to like it because it's pretty and creative but I have no idea how anyone was able to finish that game.

That's not entirely true, you actually can't experience all splendour of battle system in the first third of the game, because you have not enough action points for that.
A game is repetitive though, very combat heavy and saving restrictions doesn't make it better, but it is worth for battle system, it really is.

Arthea

What's up with pet games onslaught on steam?

Anyone want a 30% discount coupon for Explodemon?

if you want mine, I can give you 3! You can collect them, for example. (><)
I'm too lazy to trashbot them :(

This recommendation of RoF makes me feel good considering I literally just got it in the mail earlier today.

I bought it on a whim thanks to this scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h87JSL9nbbU

It looks insane.

I hope you'll like it. It's an awesome game that's very hard to love (><)
but worth trying to

don't get discouraged by unfairness of it at times, and don't skip tutorials under any circumstances!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I need JaseC since he knows all this stuff. Is Batman origins RU tagged? If so is it in russiam? XD

There's an Eastern European-specific sub but it's not region-locked in any way. I haven't played the game myself but I did run a bunch of benchmarks at release and can assure you it's in English. ;)

That's not entirely true, you actually can't experience all splendour of battle system in the first third of the game, because you have not enough action points for that.
A game is repetitive though, very combat heavy and saving restrictions doesn't make it better, but it is worth for battle system, it really is.

After watching the battle tutorial I have to agree that I remember the battles being extremely fun for a while. The rest of the game just left such a bad aftertaste that I forgot. :(

KenOD

Well this is weird. I have Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves loaded up, but the screen is mirrored in game.

Nothing in my graphics card settings to do that, as best I can read Sang-Froid's option menus there isn't anything that would cause that, but there it is, through the looking glass.

Edit: Odd, it only does it when when set to full screen or when Steam is in Big Picture Mode, not windowed.

Hopefully Xelios is just taking some time away as it is just steam games after all. To me he was/is the most generous and game knowledgeable person on steam/gaf so he'll be missed.

Ban Puncher

If I already have Batman: Arkham Origins then the DLC I need to have access to everything is the Black Mask Challenge Maps and the Season Pass, right?

KenOD

Thanks Rhaknar!

If I already have Batman: Arkham Origins then the DLC I need to have access to everything is the Black Mask Challenge Maps and the Season Pass, right?

For single player content that's what I had to buy to get it all and future content comes with the Season Pass.
If you care about multiplayer then you will have to purchase the Online Supply Drop 1 and 2 separately as well (additional weapons, clothes, protection)

KenOD

The Batman Origins season pass have all the DLCs or just part of them?

It's missing the Black Mask challenge pack (single player) and Online Supply Drops (multiplayer advantage). Anything released in the future will be on the Season Pass.

Edit: New Page, so new recommendation.

Slip

A side scrolling auto runner where you must change between one of two colours, properly performing platforming and changes in quest of a perfect run each time.

The Batman Origins season pass have all the DLCs or just part of them?
Just part of them, I believe you still have to buy the Online Supply Drops and the Blackmask Challenge pack.

If you go to the page for each DLC item, it should say if it does or doesn't come with the season pass.

Hmm, I don't actually want any of those second tier Groupees games, but I'm always worried I might miss out on some good mystery game. Choices choices.

Edit: Well that made it easier to hold off on. Thanks JaseC.

I'm no Salsa, but I can say it's a very great game for anyone looking for the type of classic RPG Square Soft used to make with job systems, unique and different combat mechanics, creative enemies, strategy for fighting enemies of different types or behaviours, and lots of content between it's main story and side-quests (which are not required beyond your own desire to do them). The only warning I give is that it can feel difficult as compared to a lot of current RPGs and alas at times grinding is required, but due to the battle system and learning certain tactics, I don't feel it's ever all that bad.

I do recommend doing the Bravely Default demo first. It's called a demo, but it's actually a 6 hour long prologue with it's own story and content that can be brought into the full game, all for free and rather enjoyable on it's own.

Job system? Pass.

Anyone want a 30% discount coupon for Explodemon?

Trashbot does.

kudoboi

Apparently Groupees accepts BitCoin now.

Edit: Spares:

tnks for half minute hero

here are some humble bundle links
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.

Offspring Fling -- MB-FFE483DB2468B34A - Taken by Blablurn
Neo Scavenger -- MB-BC2A2406CA3FAE11 - Taken by Chairmanchuck

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can we keep all these ps3/console considerations for the million other threads on the board ?

indeed. hell I think its weird when people talk about origin or gog stuff tbh, it is a STEAM thread afterall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom