• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I was wondering, after reading a post on the previous page... what's your philosophy about acquiring new games on Steam? I mean, obviously everyone buys games they want to play, when they reach a price that they deem low enough in relation to their impatience. But what about games that you don't really want to play, or wouldn't mind playing but can wait indefinitely for?

At what price do you think it's fine to get these games?
And do you get them primarily to have them in your collection (at which point you're playing the Steam game, which is fine by me), or because you want to support the devs by a tiny amount (better than nothing) - or maybe because you want to have them in case you find yourself wanting to play them in the future?
Or do you simply try not impulse-buying anything at all, and only get what you're at least somewhat interested in? (That's what I do, but even then I know that I'll only ever play 10-20% of my Steam games...)

If it's a game that I'm not particularly interested in at the moment, I generally wait until the individual (or average price if in a bundle) of the game drops below US$1.00.

This of course is my personal limit, you and other people in this thread might have a different standard. :)

Also, unrelatedly, could someone explain the thread title, which I just realized didn't know the meaning of
irQbimzVk8oAk.png

Street Fighter (the movie) reference.

Milamber

I was wondering, after reading a post on the previous page... what's your philosophy about acquiring new games on Steam? I mean, obviously everyone buys games they want to play, when they reach a price that they deem low enough in relation to their impatience. But what about games that you don't really want to play, or wouldn't mind playing but can wait indefinitely for?

And do you get them primarily to have them in your collection (at which point you're playing the Steam game, which is fine by me), or because you want to support the devs by a tiny amount (better than nothing) - or maybe because you want to have them in case you find yourself wanting to play them in the future?
Or do you simply try not impulse-buying anything at all, and only get what you're at least somewhat interested in? (That's what I do, but even then I know that I'll only ever play 10-20% of my Steam games...)
If I want to play it, tend to first look for the lowest and buy from there.
Games I know I won't play anytime soon, If it hits 75~80% off or in a bundle, I just get it if there is some spare cash in my Paypal because it's all for the game count.

Also, unrelatedly, could someone explain the thread title, which I just realized didn't know the meaning of
irQbimzVk8oAk.png
Steam maintenance "Tuesdays" that extended to "Not Tuesdays". SteamGAF is miffed. Also a Street Fighter the Movie quote that fits quite well.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
On Tuesday, Steam generally has a period of maintenance for it's servers, uploads, and Gabe Newell's feelings and thus it can go down
The Downers always get you
Lately, every day has felt like Tuesday with constant Steam outages spread erradicatly between the different parts of it, from the main client to game servers to community to marketplace and so forth.

Also M. Bison as stated in other posts now, whom I prefer as a Vega.

As for your question about "At what price do you think it's fine to get these games?", that I shall answer after a fine night of rest and a dip in the money bin to relax.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'll buy new releases if there are pre-purchase incentives that boost my game/DLC count but otherwise I'll just wait until they're "cheap enough", a point that fluctuates according to how much money I have to spend at the time the game is discounted; for example, I bought a few things earlier today but passed on Dominions 4 and Let's Sing due to the 50% discount.

Ah, of course, that too.

Arthea

I was wondering...

Weirdly enough I plan to play all games I buy, even if that's totally unrealistic, I still somehow expect to live forever.
One of reasons I buy not only games I would buy regardless, is steamgaf, I blame Jasec for it as usual.
On more serious note, steamgaf suggested quite a few games I liked, but wouldn't have bought, because it's not my thing.
About waiting indefinitely, those are games that I'm not sure I will ever play, I still buy them for no good reason other than Jasec getting to me.

OTOH I have no such problems anymore, at least with steam, as I can't buy anything on the steam store and Valve doesn't give a damn about it! (><)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

--

irQbimzVk8oAk.png
Up until 2 months ago I could have said I bought stuff I was remotely interested in. But now I've bought at least 2 bundles in which I haven't installed a single game (except to idle for cards, but I already deleted them) and don't plan to.

When it's only $1 I don't really feel bad about adding +3 or so to my library. I still haven't got to the point where I can waste 5 bucks or more on something I definitely don't want, lol

Oh, and Trucy <3
Don't know if I should start Ace Attorney 5 right now or wait for Professor Layton x AA first.

Arthea

mindblown!

I just checked, and I can buy on market just fine, but not from the store.
It's really hard not to get paranoid right now... I'm trying, but that's incredibly hard (><)

you know I was addicted to all badges thing, I got over it, eventually. It would seem... that Valve decided to get me back on track!

Approx 5 minutes remaining.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tomb Raider -- MB-A46F5F903E121731

t1396261703z1.png

Acccent

Oh, and Trucy <3
Don't know if I should start Ace Attorney 5 right now or wait for Professor Layton x AA first.

There isn't a single AAxPL reference in AA5. As long as you've played all the main AA games, you're good to go (you can even skip Investigations). tl;dr PLAY IT

kurahador

Oh god...I just knew that Nintendo is closing its Wi-Fi Connection thing.
Gonna have to track down all my Layton games and DQIX so that I don't miss the free dlc.

Knurek

Oh god...I just knew that Nintendo is closing its Wi-Fi Connection thing.
Gonna have to track down all my Layton games and DQIX so that I don't miss the free dlc.

Layton games have actually all the DLC on cart, if you're using flashcart, there's a cheat to enable them.
Same can't be said about DQIX and Picross games, unfortunately.

Jawmuncher

Steam doesn't give you a giftable copy of a game you already own if bought on a Steam Bundle right? For example the tomb raider bundle.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Hi Gaf, here's a copy of Space Engineers. Enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Space Engineers -- MB-19488A181D649C7D - Taken by Kuroyume. 25 entrants total.

t1396274305z1.png

Tizoc

Hey folks,

Sorry for the lack of replies. I turned off all comms for some R&R this weekend.

Some updates about Playfire Rewards:

• The backlog queue for the rewards that failed during 16th-27th has now completed. Judging by the comments a lot of you have correctly got your missed rewards, which is ace! If you haven't, as always can you follow the instructions on our KB and contact our Customer Support if necessary. https://playfire.zendesk.com/entries/41862466-What-should-I-do-if-I-haven-t-got-my-Playfire-Rewards-
  • If you've got your rewards on Playfire but they haven't deposited into your GMG account. Try logging into GMG (this will mark you as active) and then wait the standard 12-24 hours for it to deposit. This isn't ideal, so I'm talking with tech about some different solutions.
  • If you haven't got any rewards for the Healing Live special over the weekend, that's because I haven't added them to the system - my bad. It was a bit last minute so I'll add them this morning and you should get them in the next few days. I'll of course backdate them to Saturday 00:00 UTC.
  • For new indie releases, sometimes there's a delay of a day or so before they're on the blog. When this happens we do still backdate the rewards to the release day for anyone that picked it up straight away.
Any questions, let me know.

Goat Simulator fan right here, so expect something. :)

Ben

Oh hi there! Wanna thank the playfire reward service for the cash rewards I got recently, I'm kinda tight on my budget for this month, so these rewards are going to a game I'm looking forward to =)
Grabbing GOAT Simulator still though for lulz and to fund for the Tex Murphy pre-order assuming GMG's having it.

kurahador

Layton games have actually all the DLC on cart, if you're using flashcart, there's a cheat to enable them.
Same can't be said about DQIX and Picross games, unfortunately.

Urghhh...I hate when a company do this.

Hmm, there's DLC for the Laytons? Dang, I haven't even started on the series yet!

Yeah...each Layton games have "free" weekly puzzles for a few months after release---the puzzles are already in the cart of course, but you get the idea.

Well, that's weird, no new weekly Indiegala bundle.
It's not weekly when it's one week, is it?

They did extend the countdown a few times, maybe they were buying time to fix an issue with it?

It's up:

$1.89 for

- Cardinal Quest (Desura)
- Iesebel (Steam)
- Lyne (Steam)
- 2x Aerena (Steam)
- Sparkle 2 Evo (Steam)
- Dark Shadow: Army of Evil (Steam)

derExperte

Oh for fucks sake, this was released 2 weeks ago.
Honestly, the 'wait for the daily deal' rule should be changed to 'never buy a game on release, it's going to end up in a $2 bundle in a month'.

And I bought it last week. But it's cool cause I played it already (very simple, relaxing, should be consumed in small bursts) and nothing else in the bundle interest me. Iesabel maybe.

Iesabel get. Thx.

JaseC

Indie Gala needs to change the profile page slightly so that bundle information only loads when you click on a link. I currently own around 30 bundles so despite everything immediately displayed on the page being loaded in about 10-15 seconds I have to wait another minute or so before clicking on a bundle actually does something.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There isn't a single AAxPL reference in AA5. As long as you've played all the main AA games, you're good to go (you can even skip Investigations). tl;dr PLAY IT
I have played them all except for AAI2, which was never released in English :(

Speaking of which, is the fan translation finished? I still don't know how I'll play it, because I doubt there'll be a way to run it on my 3DS, and I'd rather not have to download a rom (though I guess I could buy the Japanese cart and ease my conscience).

I don't know man, in Japan AAxPL came out before AA5, which is why I wanted to play the former first. And if I like it I may look into the other PL games, since I never played any of them.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Face Noir #2 -- MB-7EB0FBCF25837C3C - Taken by Alduin
Aerena: Clash of Champions -- MB-F4EB26BE8F7AB46C - Taken by Sub Zero
Lyne #2 -- MB-92A3349D2DF2B366 - Taken by YianGaruga
Sparkle 2 Evo #2 -- MB-3925286334EE12CD - Taken by topyy
Face Noir -- MB-12D4F566F13E614B - Taken by nature boy
Lyne -- MB-35738CF144702CBE - Taken by Kifimbo
Dark Shadows: Army of Evil -- MB-E6F351B469B3C630 - Taken by Deques
Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-1F56EB1F0141406B - Taken by Saty
Iesabel -- MB-D15C11AC13C4732D - Taken by derExperte
Iesabel #2 -- MB-36D5FB188C3EDD5A - Taken by Knurek

Nabs

Volgarr is on sale for another 5 hours. I'm too tired to type anything up. Go buy it. It's great. I still only have 15 people on my list with it. More people own Thi4f.

Those playfire rewards are clutch.

Knurek

I have played them all except for AAI2, which was never released in English :(

Speaking of which, is the fan translation finished? I still don't know how I'll play it, because I doubt there'll be a way to run it on my 3DS, and I'd rather not have to download a rom (though I guess I could buy the Japanese cart and ease my conscience).

Not yet, still only thing they released is a patch for first two cases.
Looking forward to the game hitting 100% as well.

//EDIT

Cheers, JaseC. Only game I wanted from the bundle.

Thank you once again!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-C05A4163102F1CB8 - Taken by schuey7
Gun Metal -- MB-79E658FEFBD55562 - Taken by kurahador
Beatbuddy -- MB-E873F850D87822AA - Taken by Nabs

Could someone please explain Playfire Rewards to me?

It says my balance is £0.60, but that I've earned £4.10 to date. There's a load of achievement notifications to various sums (£0.50, £0.10), but none of that has shown up as GMG credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom