• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

Here's an extra:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Zafehouse: Diaries -- MB-67B8E043012AC9AD - Taken by derExperte

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished The Swapper. It was definitely a good game: mood-setting music, an interesting mechanic, difficult puzzles, great atmosphere. The only thing is I have no idea what the hell the story was about. I had my sound on low if on at all, so I missed most of the dialogue. I also didn't know what to make of the watcher's thoughts. I gave a cursory glance to the logs and the messages from home, so I kind of get it? I don't know, I feel like I missed out on the story. Anyway, it was pretty cool regardless.

r3n4ud

Just finished The Swapper. It was definitely a good game: mood-setting music, an interesting mechanic, difficult puzzles, great atmosphere. The only thing is I have no idea what the hell the story was about. I had my sound on low if on at all, so I missed most of the dialogue. I also didn't know what to make of the watcher's thoughts. I gave a cursory glance to the logs and the messages from home, so I kind of get it? I don't know, I feel like I missed out on the story. Anyway, it was pretty cool regardless.

You can read up on the plot here. Perhaps you already did though.

Dammit, why did the last thread have to die with this amazing picture!!??

GqeMwzo.jpg

glorious. That should be our new Steam banner.

Grabbed that one, thx! I played the demo/alpha a while ago and thought the concept was better than the execution, curious to see if they improved it.

Is there a zombie game that gets the planning portion and the gameplay both in sync and fun to play?

The sandbox types (Project Zomboid, 7 days to die) are all sorts of clunky, outside of the understandable early access hurdles

But the other side of the coin is largely run and gun fps'.

I feel like State of Decay gets both aspects right.

This isn't directed squarely at derExperte of course, I just agreed with their opinion of zafehouse

I feel like State of Decay gets both aspects right.

This isn't directed squarely at derExperte of course, I just agreed with their opinion of zafehouse

I believe State of Decay is the best you will get at the moment, although it isn't without its flaws and limitations (a sequel building on the base would be very welcome).

natertots

Whoa new thread!

Any word on a Thief sale? It seemed like a publisher sale on all platforms except PC :/

It's currently $36 on nuuvem. Was $33 not too long ago on Gamefly Digital. I'm sure it will be even cheaper in the not too distant future. I'm trying to wait until it goes sub $30.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Whoa new thread!

Any word on a Thief sale? It seemed like a publisher sale on all platforms except PC :/
It's a Squeenix game, it'll hit the (digital) bomba bin by the end of the year.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dammit, why did the last thread have to die with this amazing picture!!??

GqeMwzo.jpg

That's pretty neat.

Yep. I no longer buy any Squeenix titles at launch because I know that in 6 months I will be able to get it for 5$

It seems Murdered: Soul Suspect's in-game guide isn't going to be DLC so I think I can skip the pre-order phase and wait for a sale. I suspect the game will bomb and lead to Squeenix severing ties with Airtight, leaving the studio's future up in the air.

MUnited83

For you.
That's pretty neat.

It seems Murdered: Soul Suspect's in-game guide isn't going to be DLC so I think I can skip the pre-order phase and wait for a sale. I suspect the game will bomb and lead to Squeenix severing ties with Airtight, leaving the studio's future up in the air.

Square Enix are basically mastering the art of making bombas in the last few years, so yep, I believe Murdered will bomb hard too.

JaseC

Square Enix are basically mastering the art of making bombas in the last few years, so yep, I believe Murdered will bomb hard too.

It is known. :p Assuming Squeenix does pull a Capcom and leave Airtight high and dry, I wonder if the studio will shut up shop or try to pursue a future in mobile development... and I also wonder if Swift would try to get her old Valve job back in either case.

In our hearts you're SteamGAF own official and personal Steam support . :p

<3

Grief.exe

Thief reviewed worse than Hitman Absolution, correct?

It's not like Square didn't see that coming, they were dropping the price of that game below 50% for pre-orders. Desperately trying to give the game away.

Milamber

Oh great, woke up to Oculus RIP news. So all we have left is Sony's Morpheus and Valve's secret VR tech shown to select GDC goers.

Just got back from TAFE and omg, a new steam thread.
Woo.

I recently purchased NAIL'd since it was $0.99 and it actually seems to have a good amount of positive reviews, really excited to try it out.

MUnited83

For you.
Thief reviewed worse than Hitman Absolution, correct?

It's not like Square didn't see that coming, they were dropping the price of that game below 50% for pre-orders. Desperately trying to give the game away.

I was amazed at how bad it sold on steam. It dropped off the top positions on the best selling list rather quickly.

I'm also amazed by how well South Park is doing. It has been on the top selling list for nearly a month now. It completely deserves it.

JaseC

I was amazed at how bad it sold on steam. It dropped off the top positions on the best selling list rather quickly.

I'm also amazed by how well South Park is doing. It has been on the top selling list for nearly a month now. It completely deserves it.

Yeah, word of mouth goes a long way. Black Flag enjoyed similar success last year.

Edit: Does anybody know if the bikes in Nail'd are licensed? I can't seem to find anything about this so I assume not.

Amazon bought Double Helix because they're making a console, they want dev teams (they've been hiring like crazy even before the Double Helix thing), and there are very few mid-sized independent developers out there to buy. Among the work-for-hire crowd in the US, Double Helix might have actually been one of the larger options.

I still assume that they moved Tony to that project too. A console would need a lot of marketing and Tony was really good at that.

Grief.exe

Oh great, woke up to Oculus RIP news. So all we have left is Sony's Morpheus and Valve's secret VR tech shown to select GDC goers.

From the comments made by OR staff, it's going to be business as usual after the acquisition. Of courswz with significantly more backing than before.

I still have a difficult time believing that they wont have to bend to corporate interests at one point, as Facebook's model is much different from the Rift. I am starting to leqn towards optimistic.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, word of mouth goes a long way. Black Flag enjoyed similar success last year.

Edit: Does anybody know if the bikes in Nail'd are licensed? I can't seem to find anything about this so I assume not.

Yep, word of mouth can do some amazing things. Banished is proof of that

I don't think the bikes on Nail'd are licensed, but I'm not really sure. The game does have licensed songs though . Not sure how often do games get delisted because of licensed songs expiring though.

Also, stupid question, do Ubisoft eventually remove region locks on some of their games? I got Blacklist Deluxe RU for cheap a few weeks back. It's completely region-free, but I could swear that the game had a region lock when it released.

JaseC

Yep, word of mouth can do some amazing things. Banished is proof of that

I don't think the bikes on Nail'd are licensed, but I'm not really sure. The game does have licensed songs though . Not sure how often do games get delisted because of licensed songs expiring though.

Ah, I was aware that the game featured bands but the store page says they were used for a "unique, original soundtrack". The lies!

Also, stupid question, do Ubisoft eventually remove region locks on some of their games? I got Blacklist Deluxe RU for cheap a few weeks back. It's completely region-free, but I could swear that the game had a region lock when it released.

Blacklist has always been region-free albeit with an Eastern European-specific sub.

zkylon

zkylewd
so how long is the shadowrun expansion?

i'm thinking of playing either that or banner saga after i'm done with xenoblade

What about the Fast and the Furious weekly? Is that licensed?

Ah, I was aware that the game featured bands but the store page says they were used for a "unique, original soundtrack". The lies!

Blacklist has always been region-free albeit with an Eastern European-specific sub.

Uh oh, found another treasure trove, eh?

impact

Banned
Hows the m/kb controls in Splinter Cell Blacklist? It's pretty cheap on GMG...

e: just saw it's a fucking Uplay code :| :| :|

MUnited83

For you.
Yep, it is licensed.

Do you know other examples of games being removed because the soundtrack licenses expiring? I know that GTA Vice City got removed from Steam for while because of it, but I don't remember any other examples.

Anyways, will probably stock up on a few Nail'd copies.

JaseC

Yeah, it's the worst video game tie-in ever made. ;)

Uh oh, found another treasure trove, eh?

I've only bought six copies since I have some bills coming up, haha. I might buy some more if the Weekend Deals are a bust.

Do you know other examples of games being removed because the soundtrack licenses expiring? I know that GTA Vice City got removed from Steam for while because of it, but I don't remember any other examples.

Hitman Contracts took forever to come to Steam because of a song licensing issue.

MUnited83

For you.
Hitman Contracts took forever to come to Steam because of a song licensing issue.

Yep, knew that one too (though it is a different case :p)

Gotta stock up on a few copies of Fast and Furious and Nail'd, buy Castle of Illusion and the Bundlestars Simulation bundle. My wallet is crying
but it will laugh later, eventually.

Gotta say, as bad as the game is, using your car as a ramp/to catapult others seems like some nice dumb fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom