• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

My guess is that Squeenix disabled the loyalty discount during the Winter Sale to avoid price mistakes. I'll offer a reminder that the game is giftable by way of a workaround, so if anybody wants it for $5, just ask.

Is the Director's Cut actually worth the $5 though?
was thinking of getting it later for completion sake

zkylon

zkylewd
When I was talking about deaths coming out of nowhere, I was thinking of the chocolates lol. Damn annoying, I only got past that skill check in my third playthrough.

I found this on the wiki, to get past the chocolate skill check

Chocolates arrive (if you haven't eliminated /co-opted the sender):

Test Production + Trade ≥ 60 to unlock option "Save it for later"

Test Court Manners ≥ 80 to unlock option "Save it for later"

Test Dogs ≥ 50 to unlock option "Save it for later"

You can also avoid the chocolate death by having a high Divination score. That's how I survived that skill check on my third playthrough.

yea I had divination at 62 but still couldn't do it :/

wish I knew what mental state is best to train dogs. I might get to rush 50 since I have a save with like 3 days ahead (though I have to use a full day to train strategy to beat those damned rebels lol)

Ban Puncher

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

To The Moon -- MB-376B42409C4F623B - Taken by Shalashaska
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-DCE0548C2589FE98 - Taken by Jmanunknown

Time to give back.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Me said:
I've 3 copies [of Motor Rock] to spare at 25 keys a piece. Please mention if you've added me to trade so I know to accept your friend request. Thanks.
Another guy said:
Added you

Not a bad profit for something I paid $3.66 for. ;)

The DC was cobbled together using an older build of the game and Squeenix hasn't patched it, so I'd say no.

Edit: I assume you already own DE:HR + The Missing Link, though it's not as though latecomers have much of a choice on the matter.

If Skulls of the Shogun and Pac Man CE DX+ can make the move from the windows store to steam I have faith (however small) that all of the other big hitters on xbla and the windows store will come to steam as well.

Once the exclusivity contracts run out I'm really hoping to see:

Outland
Shadow Complex
Raskulls
Scott Pilgrim

With Double Dragon Neon and the rumor of not only Ikaruga but also Battleblock Theatre coming the sting of ditching my 360 three years ago is not hurting as bad.

At least one of the dishwasher games is supposed to come to PC... that's an instant buy for me.

Ikaruga isn't a rumour. It's coming. The only question is when... it was one of the greenlight games, if I'm not mistaken.

If you hated the boss fights in the original, maybe.

denx

wish I knew what mental state is best to train dogs. I might get to rush 50 since I have a save with like 3 days ahead (though I have to use a full day to train strategy to beat those damned rebels lol)

This should help: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195505242

I had Divination maxed out when the chocolates arrived, so I don't know how high your score must be to survive that. Maybe 80, if I had to make a blind guess.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, my hatred of Rockstar's attempt at being Remedy and completely failing is well-known (or at least known by people that have discussed that title in the past), but: Paging Spring-Loaded

1412482_10100419227278985_648177727_o.jpg

1502708_10100419227249045_700938214_o.jpg

1498085_10100419227194155_701889267_o.jpg

1507286_10100419227323895_917726291_o.jpg

Basically it puts that games gameplay (and filters as you can see by the black-box in my screen-shots) of that title in Max Payne 2's engine. Yes, even "Last Man Standing" (of course, it eats ALL of your painkillers if you have more than 1. Dunno if they'll fix that, can't really care) and includes "DLC"/chapters that the modders (or other modders?) made in the package as well.

As much as I hate what Euphoria did to the gunplay, it's kinda interesting to see that titles gameplay in the Max Payne 1-2 gameplay/engine. I still don't care for it, but it's worth checking out if you have the PC versions of the Max Payne titles.

(And that black box can be fixed with a widescreen .api configuation according to the readme.)

Caerith

Best tip to beating the rebels:
don't have a rebellion.

A lot of people swear by dogs, but honestly I think you get a lot more mileage out of either
court manners or economics
. Or both!

denx

I'll chime in and say yes. Reworked boss fights, the DLC integrated into the main story, dev commentary and New Game + make it worth 5 dollars I think.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Euphoria brought diversity to Max Payne's gameplay and reactions and made for an incredible shooter. That's neat in any case.

Not really. It got in the way of Max being "agile" for me. Half the time Max would slam into something and SLOWLY. GET. BACK. UP. while being shot to death. Annoying as shit. That's not to mention the numerous cut-scenes (and those are badly done/over-done with that stupid filter) and Max going into cover and other shit.

GAH. Remembering that piss-poor excuse of a Max Payne title is making me want to retch in disgust.

Euphora really should've only been on the enemies ragdolls and being ate by the bullets. Max should've been completely the same as he was in the first two. But I guess that wouldn't have worked with the tacked-on multiplayer, so~

Sajjaja

So, my hatred of Rockstar's attempt at being Remedy and completely failing is well-known (or at least known by people that have discussed that title in the past), but: Paging Spring-Loaded

Basically it puts that games gameplay (and filters as you can see by the black-box in my screen-shots) of that title in Max Payne 2's engine. Yes, even "Last Man Standing" (of course, it eats ALL of your painkillers if you have more than 1. Dunno if they'll fix that, can't really care) and includes "DLC"/chapters that the modders (or other modders?) made in the package as well.

As much as I hate what Euphoria did to the gunplay, it's kinda interesting to see that titles gameplay in the Max Payne 1-2 gameplay/engine. I still don't care for it, but it's worth checking out if you have the PC versions of the Max Payne titles.

(And that black box can be fixed with a widescreen .api configuation according to the readme.)

So it's Max Payne 3 in Max Payne 2 engine?

Not really. It got in the way of Max being "agile" for me. Half the time Max would slam into something and SLOWLY. GET. BACK. UP. while being shot to death. Annoying as shit. That's not to mention the numerous cut-scenes (and those are badly done/over-done with that stupid filter) and Max going into cover and other shit.

GAH. Remembering that piss-poor excuse of a Max Payne title is making me want to retch in disgust.

Euphora really should've only been on the enemies ragdolls and being ate by the bullets. Max should've been completely the same as he was in the first two. But I guess that wouldn't have worked with the tacked-on multiplayer, so~

You don't shoot dodge towards a wall, it added an incredible amount of mobility if you actually aimed yourself towards cover or over the heads of enemies. You were pretty paper thin in the first two games as well whose entire shooting mechanics on higher difficulties are based around being able to quicksave because people come behind you or open a door and BOOO.

Remedy showed their game design expertise with Alan Wake(lol) Max Payne 3 is a far better shooter than the first two games could ever hope to be. Now if one wanted to argue the first two games were a better package or you preferred the atmosphere/story design then that's another story.

maneil99

Max Payne 3 is one of the only games that makes you feel like a real entity in the world, max's animations and physics were amazing. Say what you want about the intrusive cut scenes, the gunplay , graphics, animation and soundtrack are top notch

Levyne

Banned
Played through Brothers today. It's a brief game that is reminiscent of a fairy tale or something. No frustration either. It's a nice relaxing play through and brief to its benefit.

MGR after work tomorrow :D

Played through Brothers today. It's a brief game that is reminiscent of a fairy tale or something. No frustration either. It's a nice relaxing play through and brief to its benefit.

Does steam notify you when your preload is unlocked?
This is my first time!

zkylon

zkylewd
This should help: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=195505242

I had Divination maxed out when the chocolates arrived, so I don't know how high your score must be to survive that. Maybe 80, if I had to make a blind guess.
apparently depression and dogs go together so might try rushing that.

I'll probably die anyways

Best tip to beating the rebels:
don't have a rebellion.

A lot of people swear by dogs, but honestly I think you get a lot more mileage out of either
court manners or economics
. Or both!
well it's just that I can't get the other skills past 50 (probably should've payed more attention to the tutorial :/) and getting 50 on dogs might be doable.

I'll probably just start over with my gained knowledge. I know how to survive the arrow and how to survive the chocolate, gotta learn how to get that divination really high up, I learned that on my first playthrough heh

I will play this.

I generally don't like the level design of most old-school shooters — I'm playing F.E.A.R. right now and the "kill enemies, backtrack to lever, open up path" itself isn't great to me. However, it keeps me in the game, preferable to what happens in MP3 where the cutscenes whisk me along and restrict how I enter into a shootout. I don't even mind the linearity since I'm playing the game for the shooting gameplay, and I would replay it straight through if it weren't for those cutscenes. Even being able to skip them would still chop up that sense of progression that the previous Max Payne games had (though they didn't have enough interestingly designed 'room full of dudes' encounters).

I'm really appreciative of this mod's existence and I await the mod that makes all the mini-cutscenes in MP3 playable with dialogue occurring in-game. While I never cared much for MP/MP2's encounter design, I'm sure MP3's gameplay will enrich those shootouts.

Grief.exe

We had the same path.

I beat Brothers yesterday, and have MGR ready to go tomorrow. Brothers is the perfect change of pace game to relax you before the insanity of Rising.

Caerith

apparently depression and dogs go together so might try rushing that.

I'll probably die anyways

well it's just that I can't get the other skills past 50 (probably should've payed more attention to the tutorial :/) and getting 50 on dogs might be doable.

I'll probably just start over with my gained knowledge. I know how to survive the arrow and how to survive the chocolate, gotta learn how to get that divination really high up, I learned that on my first playthrough heh

Skills cap at 50 unless the other two skills in that grouping are at 25. If you wanted to get divination over 50, you'd need meditation and lore at 25 each, for instance.

Blizzard

Banned
Does steam notify you when your preload is unlocked?
This is my first time!
If anything, at least in the past, I think you had to close Steam and restart it, otherwise it wouldn't unlock. Just log out past the release time PST or whatever and it should start decrypting (or installing depending on the game).

Lain

I know I wasn't the only one who was incredibly annoyed to see Square-Enix pull the widely promoted discount on Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut for the former owners of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the Missing Link DLC. Apparently the discount is back, but they have no reference to it on the game page. So who knows what that means or if this is merely a temporary fix to a PR problem that will eventually revert to the no discount state it was in. If you only owned the base Deus Ex: Human Revolution game the discount is $9.99.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut - $4.99 (75% off for those who own Deus Ex: Human Revolution & Missing Link DLC)

Thanks for the heads up. Bought for 3.99€, which is still a bit more than 4.99$ but at least sometimes publishers try to have some price parity, more or less.

It's interesting that I was able to buy it as a gift (I want to be 100% sure that it won't overwrite my vanilla version) without doing anything particular. I was under the impression that it wasn't possible without doing some kind of tricks before?

Grief.exe

Here are the achievements for Metal Gear Rising, taken from the registry.

• "ACH_FILE_R_00_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_LOOKING_OUT",
  • "ACH_WHAT",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_01_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_SILVERBACK",
  • "ACH_ANTI_CYBORG",
  • "ACH_DATCH_RIGHT",
  • "ACH_RIP_EM_APART",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_02_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_EXTINCTION_LEVEL",
  • "ACH_DLC_STORY_02_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_HERPETOPHOBIA",
  • "ACH_SLIDER_STRIKE",
  • "ACH_RUN_FROM_CHANCE",
  • "ACH_WOLF_HUNTER",
  • "ACH_POUND_SCUM",
  • "ACH_ASSAULT_WITH_ADEADLY",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_04_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_06_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_07_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_03_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_ASSASIN_BEHIND",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_05_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_DL_STORY_01_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_PREDATORY_INSTINCTS",
  • "ACH_PEEKABOO",
  • "ACH_STEEL_TAIL",
  • "ACH_A_BIG_FAN",
  • "ACH_DWARF_RAIDEN",
  • "ACH_ANALYSIS_COMPLETE",
  • "ACH_DATA_MINING",
  • "ACH_JUMPING_THE_SHARK",
  • "ACH_MENACE",
  • "ACH_THE_BIGGER",
  • "ACH_GREAT_ESCAPE",
  • "ACH_NO_FLASH_PHOTO",
  • "ACH_DEMILITARIZED_ZONE",
  • "ACH_DRAW_PARDNER",
  • "ACH_WALK_DARK",
  • "ACH_DL_VR_MASTER",
  • "ACH_HERO_OF_THE_METAVERSE",
  • "ACH_PRODIGAL",
  • "ACH_A_LOVER",
  • "ACH_LOVE_AT_FIRST_SIGHT",
  • "ACH_VR_MASTER",
  • "ACH_SURPRISE_ATTACK",
  • "ACH_THE_POLITICS",
  • "ACH_VIRTUALLY_FLAWLESS",
  • "ACH_YOU_ARE_HIRED",
  • "ACH_TRULY",
  • "ACH_WOLFS_PRIDE",
  • "ACH_HUMANITARIAN",
  • "ACH_JETSTREAM",
  • "ACH_ICH_LIEBE",
  • "ACH_CHOSEN",
  • "ACH_FANGS_OF_FURY",
  • "ACH_TEARING_AWAY",
  • "ACH_STORMBRINGER",
  • "ACH_GENIUS",
  • "ACH_AMATEUR_RADIO_OPERATER"

zkylon

zkylewd
Skills cap at 50 unless the other two skills in that grouping are at 25. If you wanted to get divination over 50, you'd need meditation and lore at 25 each, for instance.

yea I read something about that but didn't pay too much attention to it

was trying to get a bit of expertise (20-40) in everything since I didn't think skill checks would ask for 80 or something lol

like I said this game's brutal

Blablurn

Just some more hours. Never played Revengeance. Even though I'm a huge Metal Gear fan. Can't wait. Hope it looks good on the PC.

gabbo

I will play this.

I generally don't like the level design of most old-school shooters — I'm playing F.E.A.R. right now and the "kill enemies, backtrack to lever, open up path" itself isn't great to me. However, it keeps me in the game, preferable to what happens in MP3 where the cutscenes whisk me along and restrict how I enter into a shootout. I don't even mind the linearity since I'm playing the game for the shooting gameplay, and I would replay it straight through if it weren't for those cutscenes. Even being able to skip them would still chop up that sense of progression that the previous Max Payne games had (though they didn't have enough interestingly designed 'room full of dudes' encounters).

I'm really appreciative of this mod's existence and I await the mod that makes all the mini-cutscenes in MP3 playable with dialogue occurring in-game. While I never cared much for MP/MP2's encounter design, I'm sure MP3's gameplay will enrich those shootouts.

I would personally rather a modder pulls a 'Duke Nukem Forever in Build' with this and remake MP3 in the MP2 engine and all that that entails

Nope. Well, typically you'll see an "Available now!" box when loading up Steam, but it's less a notification and more an ad.

And since I have those disabled...

Here are the achievements for Metal Gear Rising, taken from the registry.

• "ACH_FILE_R_00_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_LOOKING_OUT",
  • "ACH_WHAT",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_01_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_SILVERBACK",
  • "ACH_ANTI_CYBORG",
  • "ACH_DATCH_RIGHT",
  • "ACH_RIP_EM_APART",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_02_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_EXTINCTION_LEVEL",
  • "ACH_DLC_STORY_02_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_HERPETOPHOBIA",
  • "ACH_SLIDER_STRIKE",
  • "ACH_RUN_FROM_CHANCE",
  • "ACH_WOLF_HUNTER",
  • "ACH_POUND_SCUM",
  • "ACH_ASSAULT_WITH_ADEADLY",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_04_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_06_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_07_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_03_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_ASSASIN_BEHIND",
  • "ACH_FILE_R_05_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_DL_STORY_01_CLEAR",
  • "ACH_PREDATORY_INSTINCTS",
  • "ACH_PEEKABOO",
  • "ACH_STEEL_TAIL",
  • "ACH_A_BIG_FAN",
  • "ACH_DWARF_RAIDEN",
  • "ACH_ANALYSIS_COMPLETE",
  • "ACH_DATA_MINING",
  • "ACH_JUMPING_THE_SHARK",
  • "ACH_MENACE",
  • "ACH_THE_BIGGER",
  • "ACH_GREAT_ESCAPE",
  • "ACH_NO_FLASH_PHOTO",
  • "ACH_DEMILITARIZED_ZONE",
  • "ACH_DRAW_PARDNER",
  • "ACH_WALK_DARK",
  • "ACH_DL_VR_MASTER",
  • "ACH_HERO_OF_THE_METAVERSE",
  • "ACH_PRODIGAL",
  • "ACH_A_LOVER",
  • "ACH_LOVE_AT_FIRST_SIGHT",
  • "ACH_VR_MASTER",
  • "ACH_SURPRISE_ATTACK",
  • "ACH_THE_POLITICS",
  • "ACH_VIRTUALLY_FLAWLESS",
  • "ACH_YOU_ARE_HIRED",
  • "ACH_TRULY",
  • "ACH_WOLFS_PRIDE",
  • "ACH_HUMANITARIAN",
  • "ACH_JETSTREAM",
  • "ACH_ICH_LIEBE",
  • "ACH_CHOSEN",
  • "ACH_FANGS_OF_FURY",
  • "ACH_TEARING_AWAY",
  • "ACH_STORMBRINGER",
  • "ACH_GENIUS",
  • "ACH_AMATEUR_RADIO_OPERATER"

Should be the same as consoles, I'd wager.

VR mission 18 again will be a ton of fun.

If anything, at least in the past, I think you had to close Steam and restart it, otherwise it wouldn't unlock. Just log out past the release time PST or whatever and it should start decrypting (or installing depending on the game).

But we don't know if it's going to be 12:01am PST or 12:01pm or anything, do we?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And since I have those disabled...

It wouldn't even be of any help unless you restarted Steam to actually see it, anyway, plus the countdown timer on the store page tells you how long until the game unlocks.

Edit: SteamDB's "My Apps" feature is super handy:

322 apps not owned (that have prices in store and not dlcs)

Soule

I'm trying to play Hell Yeah! but the game keeps crashing at certain load points. Didn't happen even once and then suddenly at the first boss area it crashes at every load screen bar once when I got in beat the boss and the load for the next area crashes now.

Anyone else have this issue or have any suggestion as to how to stop it?

Joe Molotov

It wouldn't even be of any help unless you restarted Steam to actually see it, anyway, plus the countdown timer on the store page tells you how long until the game unlocks.

Edit: SteamDB's "My Apps" feature is super handy:

Time to finish the fight, Jase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom